Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 117 - The Wasteland

A land developer whose latest project may seriously harm the environment is in serious trouble himself. His children are planning a hostile takeover which includes murder.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 25 November 2006 - 09:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory

Whoa- "The Wasteland" is definitely a good episode. It features another of MacGyver's Phoenix Foundation coworkers- Willis- who works with environmental programs it seems. MacGyver's rescue of Willis is pretty neat- sets things off with an intense tone. And I love Willis's quote- "Somehow, in the corner of my mind as I was going down, I knew you'd show up. You're always on time."
Yeah! clapping.gif
(For the record, Willis goes on to show up again in "Trail of Tears" and "Hind-Sight")
This episode dealt with something MacGyver definitely feels strongly about- and that's the environment. It also dealt with something else MacGyver feels strongly about- and that's people. I think the real story going on here is the relationship between Andrew Bartlett and his kids. This family obviously had problems- but it was really sickening and sad to me to see the path his own kids went down- and ultimately put together a plan to kill their own father! And Laura was kind of coerced into this thing by Scott - to a degree. To be sure, she went along with it up to a point, but at the last moment, she did try to stop her brother. Sadly, she winded up being the one to pay the price.
And MacGyver came up with a great MacGyverism in the end to get Mr. Bartlett to safety with the propeller parachute- that was pretty cool! cool.jpg
And it's sad the price it took to get Mr. Bartlett to make a change- but at least he does really change by the end- and tries to make amends both toward the environment and toward his family. And that's what truly brings a sincere smile to MacGyver's face at the end.
It's definitely a good episode with a powerful message.
sak.gif duct.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 26 November 2006 - 04:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

Yet another good episode. Love the fight at the restaurant and the rescue of Willis and the making of the Parchute-copter. Once again Mitzi Kapture and Bruce Harwood appears. Willis is besides Nikki Carpenter the only Phoenix employee to show up more than once in a season. I kinda like Willis, a man scientist/analysator dedicated to his work. This is another episode like The Negotiator but with no love experience. This was a fine episode.

And that's what truly brings a sincere smile to MacGyver's face at the end.

What smile, I didn't see him smile. There are only a very few smile ending episodes in this season. Usually he just mentions the last phrase and then freeze.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 26 November 2006 - 06:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

What smile, I didn't see him smile. There are only a very few smile ending episodes in this season. Usually he just mentions the last phrase and then freeze.

Okay- you may be right on that. It's been a while since I've seen this one. What I meant was that MacGyver is truly heartened by Bartlett's change of heart- I think most importantly, in his relationship toward his family- and also toward the environment.

PM                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 27 November 2006 - 06:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

Great eppy, about a subject close to my own heart... with shades of "The Negotiator." I also got a kick out of Mac's rescue of Willis... another Macism that would actually work! clapping.gif I like Willis, too... wish he'd shown up more often.

I agree that the real story here is the tension between Bartlett and his kids. It was sad to see that Scott and Laura had grown up with this greedy, power-hungry man for their father, and how Bartlett didn't realize what a poor example he'd been until he was confronted with himself in Scott.

I think it also shows that people really can change, regardless of how hardheaded or hardhearted they might be, though it may take a tragedy to do it.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 28 November 2006 - 05:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

What I like about Willis's rescue is when Mac looks in both directions to see what can help him and Mac didn't seem too happy with the assignment Willis gave him.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 28 November 2006 - 10:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

Excellent ep!

I love the expression on Mac's face after he figures out all the components that he was going to need for his power-wing.

The look on his face is like, "I can't believe that I'm even going to try this!" cool.jpg

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 28 November 2006 - 12:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

It seemed more like: 'Nah!' But hey he did it. There are lot of his facial expressions that says a lot.

By the way did you see that there were 4 guys in the fight? 4 against 1 isn't very fair. Still a cool fight with all the powder causing another smoke screen, only this time it was meant for the eyes. Too bad he lost. I wonder what he would've done if he knocked those four guys out.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 28 November 2006 - 01:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Loth)
"I can't believe that I'm even going to try this!"

I can’t believe that he did try it!

For me this is the second most far-fetched over the top MacGyverism in the whole 7 seasons. Topped only by the Ultra-lite plane he made in Legend of the Holy Rose.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 28 November 2006 - 01:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Far fetched but still possible me thinks. It reminded me a little of Murdock's trick in the A-Team with his trashbags. He also used a propeller tied to a chair blowing up trash bags. Makes a nice flying chair, flying all the way to safety. Then again he was a pilot.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 28 November 2006 - 02:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

laugh.gif You're right, Rocky! This is definately an "Oh, pu-leez!" moment! rolleyes.gif

MacGyver
Posted on 28 November 2006 - 04:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I can’t believe that he did try it!

For me this is the second most far-fetched over the top MacGyverism in the whole 7 seasons. Topped only by the Ultra-lite plane he made in Legend of the Holy Rose.

If ANYONE could build an Ultra-light plane or the propeller-parachute thing on the spot- it would HAVE to be MacGyver! biggrin.gif sak.gif duct.gif word1.png

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 28 November 2006 - 08:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Well I'll be darned! Those propeller-parachute things are real!!

www.cuttingedgeairsports.com/WELCOME.html

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 29 November 2006 - 03:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Well, I'll be damned! ohmy.gif
MacGyver truly is educational and realistic.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 30 November 2006 - 11:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

I vote good. I liked the Willis character (liked Bruce in the x-files too biggrin.gif ) and loved the parachute thingy at the end (even though it made me laugh and wonder how long he would have needed to put that all together). It looked fun though. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 30 November 2006 - 11:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yeah thats another thing tha annoyed me about that macgyverism..

In the time it would have taken him to make that thing.. he could have walked (or run) to where they where...

Although, I have to say.. all that would have been superseded by the sheer entertainment factor of raiding around in it...

WEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 30 November 2006 - 01:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

MacGyver works at the same speed the propeller goes.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 15 December 2006 - 08:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ Dec 1 2006, 07:47 AM)
yeah thats another thing tha annoyed me about that macgyverism..

In the time it would have taken him to make that thing.. he could have walked (or run) to where they where...

Although, I have to say.. all that would have been superseded by the sheer entertainment factor of raiding around in it...

WEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

Yeah, but if he had walked or run to where they were, he may have lost the element of surprise, plus, how else would he have gotten Bartlett out of there?

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 24 June 2008 - 04:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker

"Talk about being consumed by your work." Great line! clapping.gif
Great episode. I am watching it now.

The actress who played Laura also played Jack Dalton's ex Katie in Rock the Cradle. I liked her character more in that one, but still the poor woman gets killed in a horrible accident and by her brother--very very sad. Andrew Bartlett is a character maybe they should have done more with--about growth and change.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
elavia
Posted on 19 April 2009 - 08:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:The Gauntlet

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 29 November 2006 - 06:18 AM)
Excellent ep!

I love the expression on Mac's face after he figures out all the components that he was going to need for his power-wing.

The look on his face is like, "I can't believe that I'm even going to try this!" cool.jpg

Only OK episode for me, but agree 100% on the look on his face. Great moment! doh.gif

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 19 April 2009 - 08:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Liz1976 @ 25 June 2008 - 12:05 PM)
The actress who played Laura also played Jack Dalton's ex Katie in Rock the Cradle.

I wondered where I'd seen her before... but obviously not enough to go look her up. laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 20 April 2009 - 06:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

It was a good episode.

Lothithil
Posted on 20 April 2009 - 06:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Mitzi Kapture is has a very distinct beauty about her... it is always fun to spot her in other shows.

I particularly enjoy following her 'brother' John Pyper-Ferguson--following his career. He's played some pretty great characters over the years. Still, when I see him, I always say "Look! It's Scott Bartlett!" laugh.gif

SMeeceymouse
Posted on 18 June 2009 - 12:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 29 November 2006 - 12:00 AM)
Well I'll be darned! Those propeller-parachute things are real!!

www.cuttingedgeairsports.com/WELCOME.html

On nice summer nights there is a guy who flys over my house with one. I used to have pictures of it, but I don't know where they are.

I voted excellent, shows again how one person or corporation can screw up the enviroment, and peoples lives. Glad the son got to see the wasteland at night; sorry the daughter had to die. MacG.gif

PM                                                                     
SakLumberjack
Posted on 8 August 2009 - 05:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: I have 2

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Loft

Guys, aren't we forgetting that Macgyverisms are completed at the speed of plot? biggrin.gif

(Apologies to J. Michael Straczynski!)

Some days, you wonder why you got out of bed...
Watching and enjoying Season 7 on Region 2 DVD!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 25 August 2010 - 08:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I enjoyed the tone of this episode-- the outdoor scenes really captured the dim, bleak mood they were aiming for.

I also enjoyed the absurd MacGyverism at the end. Yes, it was over-the-top, but it was fun, so who cares? The only thing that did bother me about it was the fact that the guy just stood there and let MacGyver swoop down and kick him. He had PLENTY of time to either move out of the way or shoot MacGyver, but no, he just stands there, gets kicked, falls down, and lays there until Mac and Bartlett are out of firing range, THEN he decides to get up and start shooting. I think they could have choreographed that scene better to make it more exciting.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 11 July 2013 - 02:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

QUOTE (Miasma @ 26 August 2010 - 04:18 AM)
The only thing that did bother me about it was the fact that the guy just stood there and let MacGyver swoop down and kick him. He had PLENTY of time to either move out of the way or shoot MacGyver, but no, he just stands there, gets kicked, falls down, and lays there until Mac and Bartlett are out of firing range, THEN he decides to get up and start shooting. I think they could have choreographed that scene better to make it more exciting.

Heh heh...

He's thinking, "Ye Gods! It's a guy... Wearing a THING! And it has a fan.. and... and... Oh heck, here come the boots!"

THUD! roller.gif

I liked this one, it has some of the seat-of-the-pants quality of the earlier seasons.

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Grazer
Posted on 6 June 2014 - 12:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:The Eraser

Laura Bartlett was played by the same lady who played the babies mother in Rock the Cradle back in season 3 - Mitzi Kapture

"One time we were on a camping trip. This bear ate all our food! I got all wimpy scared, but my grandpa, he said to me, 'Bud. . . we'll just go grazing.'"

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 26 September 2016 - 11:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

One thing I noticed was that Mac/RDA seemed to look older and more troubled in this episode than in the preceding ones.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 26 September 2016 - 11:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams

Well, my assumption was that RDA was now in his 40's and they wanted him to come off as a 40 year old man. He does look older than in Season 5. He comes off as more annoyed and less patient/optimistic. I'm not sure if it was RDA's "cynicism" popping through or if it was intentional.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll