Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Fellow T., they're not talking about 'a' jeep.
They're talking about Mac's jeep.
And that's always a big deal wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fellow Traveler
Posted: 27 February 2012 - 10:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:

idiot.png Dumb me. Still, shouldn't be a problem with Duck Tape and a paperclip.

Regards, J.W.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Traveller
Posted: 28 February 2012 - 03:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Episode:Trail of Tears

roller.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 7 April 2012 - 01:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

You can see, they used two indentic jeeps for filming. And this very complicated question, if that jeep is still using in today, who might be own that vehicle?? hmm.bmp

user posted image

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
Posted: 8 April 2012 - 01:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Trekker

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
House:  Second Loft

tongue.gif IN LINE with some recent discussions elsewhere on here about how MacGyver may have adapted to the 21st century (re: current technology..), today I saw a photo of this Jeep Wrangler "Apache" concept vehicle...

Just goes to show what one could achieve with an open cheque book, and access to Chrysler-Jeep's 'Mopar' performance and accessory catalogue..

Starting with a stock Wrangler, Jeep added a 6.2 litre Hemi engine and 6 sp. Getrag gearbox, body kit and rock rails, raised suspension and BIG wheels, lockable storage compartments, and custom fit-out (and matching paint job by the looks of it..).

The "bee's knees" for a mobile office for a modern-day MacGyver, I reckon:

user posted image

laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 15 April 2012 - 10:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Favorites

Very nice jeep, looks great. fahr06.gif
If Jeep Wrangler's would have the side airbags, there would be a two disadvantage. First - ''Your jeep is rolling around four times and the side airbag will inflate only once, so the air bag protects only one hit, but these three other hits, it can not''.
Second - Where that side airbag would be. Inside the rollbar?, no.
MacGyver would be invent the sideairbag system for new wranglers. The side air bag are hided to inside that sound bar and the hoses where is a pipe are in both sides of that passenger seats. When you are almost going to hit your head to window, then you just blow to the pipe and airbags will fill up.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 16 April 2012 - 12:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Very cool Jeep! I want one. smile.gif

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 4 May 2012 - 08:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

I was such a FANatic about MacGyver that while they were filming in Canada I called the production company and spoke with the Transportation Captain regarding Mac's Wrangler. He told me it was grey and they distressed it. He didn't explain how or why and I neglected to ask. I always thought it looked beat up / distressed because it fit the character of MacGyver - adventurerous, a little rough around the edges, worn-in.

Mac's Wrangler was a 1987 Wrangler Laredo / fully loaded with automatic transmission. 1987 was the first year JEEP introduced the rectangular headlights instead of the standard round headlights that JEEP CJ5s, CJ7s , etc. have always had. This is also backed by the fact that MacGyver debuted in Sept. of 1985 and he really didn't drive a personal car very often until later on.

On another note, in the episode "THE OUTSIDERS", after Mac rolls his JEEP, due to a blown tire, he is seen beginning to repair it in the Amish families' barn. If you look closely you'll see the outline in the frame of the grille is for round headlights, not the rectangular ones mentioned above. This was a relief to me as a fan, beause I couldn't stand the thought of seeing his Wrangler demolished. Then in the last episode his Wrangler is shot full of holes in a drive-by. The tires were flattened, the windows were blown out, it was horrible. I still wake from a dead sleep, in a cold sweat, in the middle of the night thinking about it. surprise.gif

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 4 May 2012 - 09:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Favorites

Thats INCREDIBLE surprise.gif
I always thought that jeep was 1987 Wrangler Sport. I should have been realize that Laredo model's have chrome grille with standard and Sport models have only body colour grille. I own a Jeep Wrangler book and I compared the Laredo's and Sport's equipments, so I should have been realize it before.

Thanks jeep.jpg

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 4 May 2012 - 11:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

In the summer of 1990, right after I graduated high school, I bought a 1987 Wrangler. Mine was silver with a black top and a 5-speed. I really wanted an automatic and to paint it like Mac's but never had the money. Needless to say, it was in the shop more than it was on the road. I didn't have it checked out before I bought it and the salesman saw me coming from a mile away. You know the practice of not tipping your hand when buying a used car, yeah, I should have followed that advice. I sold it about a year later, as I never really had the money for it in the first place. Oh well, I had a blast with it while I had it.

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 4 May 2012 - 11:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Cool information!! I've been meaning to create some information pages about the vehicles Mac drove for a while but haven't gotten to it yet.

If your interested you can go into our development site and create pages in there with this information yourself. smile.gif

PM                                                                     
Bushwalker
Posted: 5 May 2012 - 02:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacFan092985 @ 5 May 2012 - 06:26 PM)
In the summer of 1990, right after I graduated high school, I bought a 1987 Wrangler.  Mine was silver with a black top and a 5-speed.  I really wanted an automatic and to paint it like Mac's but never had the money. Needless to say, it was in the shop more than it was on the road.  I didn't have it checked out before I bought it and the salesman saw me coming from a mile away.  You know the practice of not tipping your hand when buying a used car, yeah, I should have followed that advice. I sold it about a year later, as I never really had the money for it in the first place.  Oh well, I had a blast with it while I had it.

smile.gif NOW that Chrysler Jeep is part of the Fiat group (Fiat is their #1 shareholder..), there should be a bit more room for Jeeps quality and reliability to be improved a fair bit over time ~ with access to more financial backing, and more modern technology (e.g. Fiats Euro' diesels..).

Hopefully the potential improvements in Jeeps reliability under Fiat's control, could be similar to what was seen with Land Rover and Jaguar when Ford owned them for a while (even now, those two are using Ford engines, some co-made by Tata..)).

ONE of the main reasons second-hand Jeeps are often relative bargains is that their past quality (or lack thereof..) was always below industry averages ~ where generally, you DO get what you pay for. tongue.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 5 May 2012 - 07:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

I tried the DEVELOPMET SITE link but it didn't work.

Anyway, another thing about Mac's Wrangler, the two roll bars above the driver and passenger doors, that extend from the windscreen frame to the roll bar behind the front driver and passenger seats were removed for a couple different reasons.

1) With RDA's height he could have hit his head getting in and out of the wrangler during filming.

B) By removing said roll bars, it allowed for better camera blocking. If the roll bars had been left in place they could have cast shadows on RDA's face or blocked his face depending on the camera angle.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 5 May 2012 - 08:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Favorites

So do you know MacFan, is that original Jeep anymore exist or is it destroyed?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 5 May 2012 - 02:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacFan092985 @ 6 May 2012 - 04:50 AM)
I tried the DEVELOPMET SITE link but it didn't work.

My bad. Fixed now.

PM                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 5 May 2012 - 11:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

I'll see what I can find out about the wranglers along with the nomad and the chevy pick-up. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wranglers aren't sitting on Paramount's backlot somewhere, rusting away.

While the wranglers look pretty much the same on the outside (one has fog lamps on the front bumper and the other one doesn't), the interior colors were different. On "The Eraser" Mac is driving the wrangler that has a camel colored steering wheel and dashboard with black seats. Later in the series the interior of the wrangler is all black. The wrangler with the all black interior is seen for the majority of the series and was the one that got shot up in "The Stringer".

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 6 May 2012 - 01:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Favorites

I one time found some website where someone was visited in somewhere museum and there was different cars which was used in some Paramount tv series/movies. He was also listed the cars what were in that museum and I found the MacGyver jeep from that list. hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 8 May 2012 - 04:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Here's what I've found out so far . . . and it ain't much.

The Hollywood Star Cars Museum in Gatlinburg, TN does not have either of Mac's Wranglers and they have no idea who might.

The gentleman I spoke with in the Transportation Dept. at Paramount Studios told me they don't have either of the Wranglers and that unless it had a unique paint job or some other feature that made it stand out from other Wrangelrs it was either sold at auction after the series ended or it was re-painted and used in another Paramount production. When I described the paint job of Mac's Wrangler, the gentleman didn't think it sounded unique enough for them to have saved it.

I have a couple other calls I need to make, or am waiting to hear back from. I've also got a little research to do, so I haven't given up yet.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macahan3000
Posted: 25 May 2012 - 11:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
House:  ---

This is how my -89 yj looks. Repainted it to look like Mac's. Looks better when it is dusty smile.gif Hope you like it.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The original jeeps color is impossible to tell, the rollbar might be black, but the
Inside of the trunk is some light grey color, and should also have been black. One thing we all can agree, is that the Jeeps are custom, since they must be brand new at the time of filming, and they sure do not look so.

This post has been edited by macahan3000 on 26 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 26 May 2012 - 11:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Favorites

What is that chrome system of beside that right side rear tail lamp? Is that some antenna holder?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
  Posted: 27 May 2012 - 03:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (macahan3000 @ 26 May 2012 - 06:31 PM)
The original jeeps color is impossible to tell, the rollbar might be black, but the
Inside of the trunk is some light grey color, and should also have been black......
hmm.bmp

OFTEN, the best way to find a vehicle's original paint colour (short of simply taking the colour code off the compliance/build plate - and checking against the codes either within the owner's handbook or workshop manual, or on the company's website..), can be to look under a bit of trim that is likely to have been masked over during a respray, rather than removed ~ places like inside doors and tailgates, under the mudguards, underneath the back trim, in around the engine compartment, up under the dashboard...

happy.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macahan3000
Posted: 27 May 2012 - 08:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MiracleMac @ 27 May 2012 - 07:20 PM)
What is that chrome system of beside that right side rear tail lamp? Is that some antenna holder?

It's a tirestopper to prevent the sparetire to crash the taillight. Mac have one to smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
perfectlykevin
Posted: 28 May 2012 - 10:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:Can I say "all?"
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

QUOTE (MacFan092985 @ 9 May 2012 - 12:38 PM)
Here's what I've found out so far . . . and it ain't much.

The Hollywood Star Cars Museum in Gatlinburg, TN does not have either of Mac's Wranglers and they have no idea who might.

The gentleman I spoke with in the Transportation Dept. at Paramount Studios told me they don't have either of the Wranglers and that unless it had a unique paint job or some other feature that made it stand out from other Wrangelrs it was either sold at auction after the series ended or it was re-painted and used in another Paramount production. When I described the paint job of Mac's Wrangler, the gentleman didn't think it sounded unique enough for them to have saved it.

I have a couple other calls I need to make, or am waiting to hear back from. I've also got a little research to do, so I haven't given up yet.

Good work! Sounds like you were in touch with the right people. I was just thinking if they kept records of these vehicles then they might have the VIN number somewhere. With that we could track where the Jeep(s) is now, or if it was ever sold again by Paramount. hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 30 May 2012 - 07:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

I haven't forgot about this topic. My work schedule has me working overnights so I spend the day sleeping. I've done some spookin' around online a will make some more calls . . . hopefully tomorrow.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macahan3000
Posted: 7 June 2012 - 08:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MiracleMac @ 6 May 2012 - 05:02 AM)
I found picture from RDA website and you see from that two picture, they used two jeeps for filming.

So that another one was destroyed in last episode 'Stringer' by shooting with gun to tires and windows. So do you know MacFan, is that original Jeep anymore exist or is it destroyed?

I think i found a third jeep for filming, judging by the two jeeps in this picture. The jeep in "birthday" there are foglights AND roller fairlead mounted. It can't be any of the above. Also in that episode the jeep looks somewhat green.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 9 July 2012 - 12:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Favorites

Jeep is excellent automobile in summer biggrin.gif fahr06.gif jeep.jpg jeep.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
spencerific93
Posted: 6 August 2012 - 08:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Vic Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:All of them?
Jacket:  Leather Biker

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 18 February 2012 - 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (MiracleMac @ 18 February 2012 - 11:49 PM)
But the same jeep is used from 2 season to 7 season jeep.gif

No it's not!

Season 2 jeep had no roof or side walls. Season 3 to 7 had the hard cover on the back. and was a different color too. Season 2 was brown. Season 3 onwards was.. who knows what color. Some of the close ups posted earlier in this thread show a faded green.

I would encourage everyone to lok back through this thread to see the pictures and accompanying ideas about the color.

Actually, the hard-tops on Jeep Wranglers are removable and interchangeable with the soft-tops. The doors are also removable. So, Mac probably just had the roof and doors off that season. jeep.gif

Knowledge is the light of the world, science the candle.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 7 August 2012 - 07:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

This whole discussion could have been easily avoided by one quick line about fitting or removing the canopy or doors laugh.gif

I guess the writers never thought they'd have obsessive fans discussing such things 25 odd years later. smile.gif

PM                                                                     
angus20
Posted: 12 August 2012 - 09:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:all

QUOTE (MacFan092985 @ 31 May 2012 - 03:51 PM)
I haven't forgot about this topic. My work schedule has me working overnights so I spend the day sleeping. I've done some spookin' around online a will make some more calls . . . hopefully tomorrow.

Great work you are doing, the Jeep has been always a mystery even 25 years later (the color, the model, the release date etc) so keep it up- jeep.gif

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 30 August 2012 - 07:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:The escape
House:  Apartment

This car would be great for my geology trips around the country, especially the tow cable on the front. Whon't have to be worried about getting stuck in the mud!!

Im still confused though, the car is a jeep CJ7 or something else?

In my oppinion, Graham Bell has a lot to answer for. It gets harder and harder to escape from the world, the news and worst of all, people.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll