Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

One thing MacGyver was a big advocate of was enjoying his "down time" and using that time to, as he put it, "take the edge off".

In this ever increasing age of mobile connectedness where we can do everything online everywhere and at any time, it's becoming very difficult to switch off during, what should be, relaxation or down time. How many of you find yourselves checking email, Facebook, twitter, news sites, etc during work breaks, or in the evenings when you should be relaxing and unwinding? I know I do and I often do it without even thinking. It's just what we do now. We're always connected and always "on".

I was thinking earlier today about how long it's been since I've been hiking or even biking. We've had some really nice sunny winter days which would be perfect for either activity yet I've been so focused online that I haven't had any real down time for 5-6 months and it starts to show in some pretty obvious ways too. Sleeping patterns become disrupted, moods and mental states change even blood pressure goes up and stays up because we're in a constant state of alertness - thinking, pondering, worrying, planning with no reprieve from the stress it causes.

SO how do we get around this? I read an article the other day where a guy was spending 1 day per week disconnected. No phones, no computers, no internet, nothing. This seems like a pretty good way of ensuring you get the vital distressing time that we all need. Another way might be to set a time each night at which point phones, computers and internet are switched off and that's your unwind time before going to bed.

I'd be interested in hearing any other ideas for overcoming the constant state of "on" we now find ourselves living in.

sakopen.gif

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 July 2013 - 10:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

You know earlier this week I was thinking about that too. Twenty years ago this way of living was a dream. I got up, went to school, made my homework, watched some television or a video or played with my toys and went to sleep.

One might wonder do we actually need all this? But internet is our connection to the world out there now. It's been like that for the last fourteen years for me. I got internet since 1999. Before the internet it was actually the news and newspapers.

I think I'm one of the very few and I'm certain at work one of the only ones who does not check out facebook or e-mail when I'm on a break for the simple reason that I can't do that with my cell. I have a Nokia model made in 2005 or something and the bloody thing still works. It fell on the ground several times, front and back cover fell off, battery flew out, it just keeps working. Do have to say the speaker is slowly losing it. When I call or get calls the person on the other line often sound very distant or very far away. When I called my best friend a while ago, the line just flatlined or at least I think so, because she said she could still hear me, but I didn't hear her at all. Happened three times in one call. So I might wanna look out for a newer model with all the accessories.

Due to the lacking of an internet connection on a cell I still have to check everything on the laptop which also have had it's run after four years. I also think if I get a cell with internet connection so I can get on the forums and check my mails up there, I won't be using the laptop so much, but I heard in case of writing long posts a laptop or computer is much easier to use than. On my break I do wordfinds in a book. Maybe not exactly relaxing because if you look at a wordgrid to find the words it requieres concentration in a moment of relaxing.

Maybe we just turn everything off once you get home. Or maybe you don't turn anything on on Sundays. Mac also like to take nice quiet Sundays to read the paper. biggrin.gif

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 28 July 2013 - 01:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Allocating an hour a day to fitness is easy. Being organized and motivated to do is the harder part. A short run or 2kn walk is easily done from home or the office and does wonders for both one's mental and physical health. And no, I don't take any personal communication devices with me when I'm exercising or enjoying nature You have to draw a line, I think, these days and with these increasingly invasive gizmos.

Club Med made a fortune on the concept of creating the ultimate relaxing vacation free from newspaper, radio, TV, telephones, and even door locks for awhile. They were right in their thinking that by eliminating the things that cause stress and by concentrating on the things that relax and energize you - you will have a more relaxing vacation. It worked well, although now I understand that the internet is alive and well there.

I think talking baby steps with regards to weaning oneself from the proverbially online umbilical cord is the way. Short outdoor stretches, with some breathing exercises and moving on to short walks would do wonders for just about everyone on this planet. And then just keep adding on to the routine ....

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 29 July 2013 - 07:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

Actually, my sister and I have been talking about this last weekend. The area I'm moving to has a lot to see and do. One thing I'm looking forward to is joining Bernheim, which is a arboretum and research forest where you can volunteer (full or part time). They even have nature break tours. I'm hoping to do that and check out the Kentucky State Fair in the next couple of weeks before I have to get back to the grind of working and being an adult. =P

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 29 July 2013 - 01:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

I find that when I get home from work, usually after 10pm, I'm too tired and just don't care to get online, whether it be my laptop or my phone. I just take time to wind down and relax before I go to bed. The same goes for me on the weekend. Oh sure, I might get online, to check out this site, but I don't feel I "have to". Nothing is so important that I have to be online every waking hour.

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Scwilson
  Posted: 29 July 2013 - 10:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

I know what you mean. Today there is no getting around technology. When I was a kid in the 1980's there was no Internet, cell phones, etc. when going to town I always had to have change for a pay phone. I know it seems hard for those who grew up with cell phones and the Internet to disconnect, but life is a lot simpler without a phone ringing in your pocket. People were less ant-social then they are now. You had time to sit and chew the fat. Communication was face to face, not texting. If you like the outdoors, go camping or fishing and leave the gadgets at home. The world will not come to an end.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 30 July 2013 - 12:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

You know, if I get three phone calls or even more texts in one day, I can get really annoyed. Because I'm very used of not get any calls or texts. It always make me go like: 'Now what?'

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Daisy8577
Posted: 30 July 2013 - 09:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Passages

I used to be that way MGod until I got my smartphone. I get hollered at for being on my phone a lot. The sad thing is that kids don't know how to unplug or unwind either.
Whatever happened to unplugging and playing outside with their friends?

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 30 July 2013 - 09:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

My dad and I were just talking about this yesterday. People can get so wrapped up in their Facebook, internet, texting, and what have you - what happened to just talking to each other and hanging out?
Everyone just rushes and don't seem to have time for anything or anyone.
I spend a lot of my time outside either working with my dog, or drawing.
But, yes, it can be hard not to keep momentarily checking emails and such. I've found just shutting down my tablet works for me. tongue.gif It takes forever to come back on. laugh.gif

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Posted: 31 July 2013 - 08:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 30 July 2013 - 08:59 PM)
You know, if I get three phone calls or even more texts in one day, I can get really annoyed. Because I'm very used of not get any calls or texts. It always make me go like: 'Now what?'

Me too! And why do people always call when I leave my phone at home? laugh.gif

When I bought it I went to the store and asked for least expensive phone. As long as it's pink, I'm happy. biggrin.gif

Jediferret
Posted: 1 August 2013 - 08:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Today is my last day of having internet. It's getting shut off tomorrow morning, so I'll just have my phone (which has limited data usage). See how long I can go without it before I explode. XD Wish me luck...

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 1 August 2013 - 09:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

*salutes Jedi*

Good luck and Godspeed, soldier...er, I mean Jedi. macsak.gif

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Daisy8577
Posted: 1 August 2013 - 11:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites

Good luck Jedi!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Matrix
Posted: 1 August 2013 - 02:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Good Luck Jedi! biggrin.gif

"Great thing about a map, it can get you in and out of places a lot of different ways." - MacGyver (The Gauntlet)

"When James Bond gets an assignment, it's on the Riviera. Me, I end up eighty miles past nowhere." - MacGyver (The Human Factor)

"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
GO BUNNY!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 1 August 2013 - 05:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Thank you everyone! happy.gif I'll miss you all! See you when I get my butt back online! smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 2 August 2013 - 06:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

You will be missed. Take care. Return soon.

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 10 August 2013 - 01:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I just read an article about downtime in a magazine. It's about this woman who is writing books about it.

She says you have got to find the off switch, rest more and consume less because the results speak for themselves. One out of three children that are going to the elementary school suffer from stress according to Dutch/Flemish research. And according to research one out of ten employees young than twenty-five already suffered burn-out because of years of chronic overload. Everything has to go faster and faster. It doesn't matter if you're on the internet, watch television.

She also says you should take a brainscan if you're constantly exploited to digital activity, you'll see for yourself your brain is in a slight overloaded condition. And you need the downtime so your brain can relax and take in all the information. And her advice is very simple and cheap: go at least offline for three hours everyday. Find the off switch. Because it's like we are becoming scared of going offline.

When she says offline, she does mean offline. Be unavailable. No internet, no cellphones, no tv. You might think you can exorcise loneliness out of your life once you turn on the tv or the internet but you'll only reach the opposite. It's like we have forgotten how to have an intermezzo: turn off all screens, put a little music on, read a book, take a walk, work in the garden, even stare into nothing might help. Because running from here to there while you're on Twitter, you'll remove you from yourself so far that every silence becomes scary.

Because we are always running for our jobs ourselves, we're always busy, constantly online, she likes to have a new debate on what the working hours should be. She says she wants a 25 hour workweek because we need more rest and less consuming if want to leave behind an inhabitable planet for future generations. Than everything should become less loaded. It's always about I work so I am, I consume so I am, I have six screens so I am... Turning back the clocks is impossible but our current situation should be adjusted/corrected and we should be asking questions about it. According to her we should look for new inspirations, because without new ideal we'll estrange from each other and ourselves which would and in a cold in selfish world.

Then next to the article is a small article about an American journalist called Paul Miller age 27 who spended a whole year offline. Might be worth checking him out. He was tired of the constant incoming mails and newsfeeds and was hoping to focus on what was valuable in life. But it didn't turn out the way he thought it would. He didn't became a better human being. Though it started well.

On April 30 last year one minute before midnight his internet connection got cut off and lived a little zonked out for a couple of months. He lost some weight without problems, became interested in Greek mythology and was according to his boss too productive. He wrote half a sci-fi novel, something he dreamed of since he was kid and according to his therapist he looked good. Paul noticed he opened up more to his environment and instead of spending time on cellphone on the subway he was looking for interaction with others. Than he noticed who much we can forget the world if you're only busy with your friends online. Though it did hurt him that a lot of his friends started to forget about him because all invitations are being send through facebook nowadays. But the new pace his life took still made up for a lot of things. The boredom and the lack of stimulation drove him to the things he always wanted to do, like writing, spending time with friends and family.

In August last year Miller was convinced he wouldn't like it to go back online after a year, but when winter started in New York stayed at home on his couch with a silent cellphone and only videogames to play. In the end he had to admit that the lack of action didn't came from the internet but from himself and that the problem he experienced before manifested themselves offline on a different way. He missed his friends who slowly forgot about him because he was no longer part of their world. It costed them more trouble to make a simple phone call than to send a tweet, text or e-mail. The first months felt right because the pressure of the internet fell of his shoulders but once he saw his life no longer in context of 'living without the internet' it didn't seem so special anymore. The power of internet is connection and it seemed he needed more of it than he originally thought.

And next to that article there are some hints on disconnected down time called the digi-diet. Some of those hints are quite obvious like read a book, go on a trip, go offline. Apparently there are apps that can close down the internet for eight hours. Or if you go out is to place all cellphones on the table and the first one who checks their phone have to buy a round.

This topic and those articles really got me thinking about disconnected down time. And the tip of the woman of just going offline for like three hours a day seems like a good idea. Maybe it's something to try out and maybe even a full day somewhere in the week. I wonder if I can get the feeling back of ten, twelve years ago. But that means turning off my autopilot of immediately turning the laptop on. I don't know, what you guys think of his.

It was long, I know but this was my 4000th message. biggrin.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 15 December 2013 - 08:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Adventurer

Favorites
Episode:Gold Rush, Invisible Killer

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 10 August 2013 - 10:19 PM)
Because we are always running for our jobs ourselves, we're always busy, constantly online, she likes to have a new debate on what the working hours should be. She says she wants a 25 hour workweek because we need more rest and less consuming if want to leave behind an inhabitable planet for future generations. Than everything should become less loaded. It's always about I work so I am, I consume so I am, I have six screens so I am... Turning back the clocks is impossible but our current situation should be adjusted/corrected and we should be asking questions about it. According to her we should look for new inspirations, because without new ideal we'll estrange from each other and ourselves which would and in a cold in selfish world.

I'm kinda late to the table replying to this, but I've had dealings with issues that arise from being plugged in all the time recently. My ex-girlfriend CONTINUOUSLY checked facebook on her phone, so much that it made me feel like I was interrupting or intruding when I'd try to talk to her. It sounds ridiculous saying this about a phone, but it was like there was a third person in the relationship that I had to compete with. I found myself pausing until she looked up before I spoke, other times it felt like she wasn't even in the same room with me, her focus was so intent on it. Eventually I tried to talk to her about it, but got nowhere. I'm not saying facebook is all bad, but some people take it way over the edge. Further, I don't really see the fascination with who got married, who got a new car, or new dog or whatever with people you hardly even know and are no real part of your life whatsoever, especially when it's at the expense of people who are actually right there in person and care about you. I know someone else who's girlfriend has this same issue, and I'm sure there's millions more people just like em out there. So yeah, disconnection badly needed, some more than others.

MacGyverGod, I've read numerous articles saying essentially the same thing and have discussed it at length with friends. Having worked both part time in the twenty hour range and full time around fifty hours, I have to say there's something to this. When I worked fifty hours a week I had zero time for anything, all I did in my free time (haha, joke!) was sleep and on my day off I was too tired to do anything. This is no way to live. It's not living at all, really, it's going through motions like a rat in stuck a cage. Even forty hours is too much, although saying that aloud will get people to jump down your throat before you have time to pled your case. They don't want to hear anything like this, they want to stay in their bubble of believing they know exactly how life and the world should run. "You're just lazy, how dare you say that working long hard hours isn't a good thing!" Hogwash I say. We should all be paid a living wage that lets us get by on a twenty hour work week, so that we have more time for ourselves, time for people we love, time to think and time to enjoy being alive. Of course banks, corporations and politicians don't want this, they don't want you to think, they just want you to work continuously until the day you die in order to keep them rich and living the good life. "Just shut up, punch the time clock and move along..."

As far as disconnecting myself, sometimes I don't turn on my computers for a day or two, sometimes I leave my phone at home or turn it off all day. The world can wait, if it's that pressing people know where to find me. Generally. I don't go on long outdoor treks like I use to but want to start again. Honestly I need calm and peace, I can't handle people texting or calling all the time, bothering with facebook, rushing around with a billion things to do, or being at work endlessly. Others can handle it all, but I'm not them, I shut down and have to walk away. This coming year I'm planning on buying some land in the country where I can garden and grow some of my own food, camp, be outdoors and eventually live, happily disconnected from technology much of the time. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 3 April 2014 - 06:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

This article is about what MacGyverGod and I were saying. Part of disconnected down time is having time for yourself.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-stati...-of-slaves.html

I'm taking my first step towards a slower paced and less stressful life. I'm moving in a couple days and no longer going to support a landlord. I'm buying and remodeling a camper for year round living (think Mac's houseboat) and I hope to have enough money saved to buy my own land sometime this year. smile.gif More time reading and doing things I love, less time OMG I need to get ready for work and OMG rent or bills are past due.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 3 April 2014 - 09:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Yup, life has certainly taken a turn into the freeway. Everything is crazy paced nowadays.

Sometimes its amazing to unwind and relax.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 8 June 2014 - 02:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

I started use internet in 2007, not daily of course. But now I feel my pc is useless, I mostly use it as encyclopedia, if I need.

I stopped to use completely my computer couple years back, kind of trying the pause and also because the older was mini pc and I couldn't download upgrade for the browser, you were only able to somehow program the browser to it. ..Well, two weeks later, the birth day present...new computer... biggrin.gif

Also Its not hard to live as my opinion, without internet...I probably waste just 20 minutes, not in day...in one week.

This reminds the computer, what once in a while we played with in kindergarten...aahh good old times laugh.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Harry1982
Posted: 8 August 2014 - 03:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Various

Favorites

I used to be heavy internet user and I had a terrible Facebook addiction. I also had a youtube channel, I was a member on several different forums and all. I spent way too much time on computers. At some point I decided to make a change in my life and I left the Facebook world, followed by all the other places I was involved with. For example now I have been without Facebook for 5 years and I don't miss it. As a result of all this, started to spend more time with the kids, slept better, outdoor, fishing, swimming, running and gym came back to my life. Overall the quality of my life improved a lot.

Nowadays the problem is my wife as she spends way too much time over the internet and facebook. I understand that the enterprise she's running requires some attendance over there, but it has started to feel like the Ipad is integrated to her hand. If I ask her to come with me and join to watch a movie for example, the pad travels with her, always in the need of checking the very important messages. If it's a case of quick reply, it often becomes a novel. The device has become a 3rd person in our marriage and it's annoying as hell.

Harry Jackson: There was a time when I could run all day without breaking a sweat. I tell ya: it's hell getting old.
MacGyver: Age is only in the mind, Harry.
Harry Jackson: Well, my mind tells me I'm gettin' old.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cmbj67
Posted: 8 August 2014 - 05:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Cease Fire, but not only

I guess I'm addicted to the computer, it's an escape from reallity to me.

Even if I decide to avoid internet for a day, when I turn on my laptop with the intention of just watching DVDs, I get the curiosity to see what's new in this forum, the other forum and twitter. I have no facebook or youtube account. My daughter is kind of jealous of my computer because I spend less time with her. It's true about the sleeping disorder, in fact it's 3.45 a.m. here and I'm texting instead of sleeping. Well, tomorrow I don't have to work. biggrin.gif

In fact I feel some stress but I learned how to manage it. My disconnected down time is usually my lunch time, I spend it in my car relaxing, reading or enjoying the scenery (a park) or even taking a nap. yawn.gif I turn on my cellphone only half an hour a day.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 11 August 2014 - 08:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Harry1982 @ 9 August 2014 - 11:04 AM)
I have been without Facebook for 5 years and I don't miss it --- Overall the quality of my life improved a lot.

Nowadays the problem is my wife as she spends way too much time over the internet and facebook --- The device has become a 3rd person in our marriage and it's annoying as hell.

Harry1982;

I was on facebook very early, before most people had even heard of it. While I was never an addict, it was a time waster for the most part. I wound up deleting my account because I hated the idea of my rotten cheating ex gf being able to snoop in my business. I went for 4 years facebook free, then decided to make a new account. And shortly after I deleted that one for the same reason. smile.gif Never making another, and don't feel I'll be missing much. I do still wrestle with how much time I spend online though, both reading and on forums, I'm not as active as I use to be. The world spins just fine without me, though. I'd rather live life and actually do things instead of just reading or commenting.

If you read my post above then you know I sincerely feel your pain about the 3rd person in your relationship. That really stinks. I know that when (or if) I meet someone again that's not gonna be something I accept, I just can't deal with it. I hope you can talk to your wife and solve it, it's not right that you have to feel that way.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 11 August 2014 - 09:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (cmbj67 @ 9 August 2014 - 01:44 PM)
My disconnected down time is usually my lunch time, I spend it in my car relaxing, reading or enjoying the scenery (a park) or even taking a nap. yawn.gif I turn on my cellphone only half an hour a day.

Lunch break is all you need to unwind? Wish it was that easy for me. Either that or you have a really long break. lol I turn my phone off pretty often, too. Weird that is, nobody calls when it's on, but turn it off and everyone does - Grrr!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cmbj67
Posted: 12 August 2014 - 01:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Cease Fire, but not only

My lunch time is one hour, but I forgot to say that it's disconnected down time also when I watch MacGyver, that is one additional hour or longer everyday. biggrin.gif I put my earphones on and my husband and daughter know they must not disturb (or I'll byte). laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 12 August 2014 - 03:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I have a 45 minute break. Almost everyone is busy with their phones. I'm usually there eating trying to get my thoughts in order. Inside of my head is always a mess while looking out the window or reading the newspaper. I already consider myself spending too much time on the forums or Facebook while there is nothing to see actually. Even when I'm away for almost twelve hours a day, I consider having too much time on my hands on my days off. And also when I get home from work I dare to spend an hour or more on the forums first before getting dinner ready. This makes it mostly like 9pm when I get to dinner, watching my soap and then a movie and go to bed. The next day same thing.

Now I have two weeks off of work. Might be a good plan to adjust my way of living. I can try but I think the hardest part of that is maintaining it. Yesterday, my day went like this: got up, checked the forums, took a bath, checked the forums again, looked up some info during lunch, took a (too long) nap, read a book, checked the forums again, watched television during dinner, checked the forums again, watched a movie, final forum check went to sleep.

Still I have plenty of other things to do, like cleaning up the kitchen, doing the laundry and all. And they always only takes up twenty minutes tops. Of course that was my first decent day off in at least five months.

Maybe I should use these weeks to reconsider some things because it's really necessary and I'm on my own to try and keep it up but falling back is always so near around the block.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Duckt tape
Posted: 12 August 2014 - 03:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Jacket:  ---

I wonder if people actually even notice how much they spend time online now that we have the smartphones to allow us to be always online.
I just saw some of my friends yesterday. One I haven't seen in two years and my best friend I haven't seen since May Day. We had a great time together except for the fact that they were all the time checking their phones. I study on the other side of the country so we really don't see that often. They never come to visit my place so the only time we have opportunity to see each others is the couple times of year, namely summer and Christmas, when I come home for a longer time. So that little time we do have together I'd really appreciate if they would spend that time with me and not by busying themselves with facebook. Yesterday one of them actually had a good reason to check his phone all the time as he was trying to change his work schedule for visiting a sick grandmother. But generally: What ever happened to the days friends actually spend time together doing things together instead of sitting side by side staring their phones?
Before facebook we actually called to our friends to ask how they're doing. Now there's no need as we see all we wish to know from facebook. Like I learned from facebook that the brother of my best friend got married and my other friend got pets, which has been her life time dream. It used to be so much more real and personal when you heard the big news on your friends life from your friends themselves instead of reading it from facebook. Just feels like real friendships doesn't even exist anymore and people don't know each others anymore. Just read facebook...

PM                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 12 August 2014 - 04:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

The birth of the social network ultimately became the death of socialism amongst people. It is true. We have become very lazy and stick more to our habits than our potential to do more.

Lately, the misses & I have been watching reruns of The Wonder Years again and I almost wish we lived at a time like that. The future was still a valid dream of those living in an open society and it was safe for a kid to walk the block. Practicality reigned supreme over innovation and life was a little more simple.

I must confess that I too carry the iPad around like it was stuck to me. I don't even know why I do it. It is as if my mind has been brainwashed into thinking I need to seek answers to the outside all the time, when in reality I really don't.

We definitely have changed. It is important however to teach our kids of the values we learned. Because even if they are born in a world of technology, they will have the knowledge and option to obtain simplicity in their lives.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 13 August 2014 - 12:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

The only thing I said kinda goodbye to was my MP3 player. I don't need music in my ears in the morning on my way to work or at night at the way home anymore and since then the whistling tone I used to hear doesn't bother me no longer. It is one thing though. I never liked the second one anyway and once out of frustration because of work and stress, I destroyed the damned thing and never bought a new one. But I do have to say, I'm easily annoyed by others on the bus mostly children so that's not exactly what it should be either.

Anyway I've seen The Wonder Years back in the day too. Everything seemed so much simpler back than. But that's what I say about the '90s as well. Our only connection with the outside world back than was the news or CNN. Further we had just Sega or PS1 and Windows 95/98 and no internet. What more did you need? You could play games on the computer, work on your documents, print it and deliver them personally to your superiors instead of simply mailing them. What more do you need a computer for? You want the news? Read the paper or watch it on tv. You want music? Listen to the radio or buy a cd. You want a movie, go to the movies.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll