Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Currently the most advised protection plan for your computer is to use the following software. (These are all free and highly recommended - although all software is very similar these days thanks to the continuing competition between the brands)

Firewall: Comodo Firewall
Firewalls are your first line of defense. They stop hackers getting in and virus sending your information out.
Comodo is considered by most IT experts to be a better choice than ZoneAlarm.
Although ultimately the best firewall is a hardware one (built into your modem) rather than software.
Has both automatic and manual update options.
This software should automatically start when your computer is switched on and be active all the time.

Anti-virus: Avast anti-virus
Scans in real time so you don't have to run full scans every week. although you still can if you wish too.
This software updates automatically (once per day) so it always has the latest virus information to work with.
This software should automatically start when your computer is switched on and be active all the time.

Anti-Spyware: SuperAntiSpyWare and Spybot - search and destroy
It's always advisable to use more than 1 spyware finder because they use different techniques to find the spyware, so using 2 or 3 gives you a wide scope of search.
Both these applications have both automatic and manual update options.

General cleanup Use Ccleaner and Wise Disk cleanerto remove unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space as well as cleaning up traces of your online activities to help protect your privacy.

For easy use I always advise people to make a folder on their desktop (or taskbar) called security or clean-up and put shortcuts (or icons) to all your virus scanners/cleaner software into that folder. This means you have everything in the one place and don't have to muck around trying to remember which programs to run etc.

Final word
Regardless of which software you choose to run, the most important thing to do is keep it up to date. Make sure it updates daily and have all the virus scanners protection modules (real time protection etc) switched on.

sak.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SakLumberjack
Posted: 16 May 2009 - 10:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: I have 2

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Loft

I use AVG on my laptop for antivirus, but I have a couple of others as rescue CDs just in case I need them.

Some days, you wonder why you got out of bed...
Watching and enjoying Season 7 on Region 2 DVD!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
ghostdoll
Posted: 22 October 2009 - 06:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:D.O.A. MacGyver
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Hey Rocky.

If I'm interested in getting a hardware firewall... do I have to attack it to my Linksys router or I have to replace the Linksys router with some other hardware part??

I apologize if I'm making NO sense. I'm just considering getting more protection for my new computer tongue.gif I'm already settled with the Avast Antivirus, the Comodo Firewall and a good anti-spy. Thank you for making this guide for us. I never took the time to thank you before.

"Home. Enough is enough. I will not, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever answer the phone... probably... again." - MacGyver (S1-10: Target MacGyver)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 22 October 2009 - 07:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah the easiest way to do it is replace your router with a firewall/router combo.

You can get seperate firewalls, but I think they're pretty high-end with the pricing.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macnut23
Posted: 5 November 2009 - 01:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: none yet.

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Holy Rose

my computer just died today and won't boot. T_T i wish i'd run into this forum before...

MacGyvering through life whenever possible.

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 5 November 2009 - 02:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

If it's getting power and trying to boot, try getting into the boot menu (F5 or F2 I think on most PCs) and then try using the "boot from last known working setup) option.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Azalea77
Posted: 31 March 2011 - 02:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Almost all of them
Jacket:  Black leather

Thanks for this info. Recently I've been thinking about adding one more anti-virus to my computer and I was totally confused which one should I use, which is really good etc. Currently I am using Avira and I am ok with it. Someone recommend Kaspersky to me. Is it so good ? Better than Avira?

The best way to beat the problem, is to make it work for you

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 24 April 2011 - 04:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

there's no real difference. Usually the purchased virus scanners have extra components added into them to try and make the look worth buying, but often these just end up adding extra processing overheads on your computer and memory so ultimately just clog your computer up.

If your happy with the scanner yo have stick with it and keep it updated daily. If you want to change scanner save some money and grab a free one. wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
Posted: 23 October 2011 - 07:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Trekker

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
House:  Second Loft

Those of us with Apple computers do have it a little bit different, though ~

Apple's OS-X is a mile more secure than Windows or Vista to start with; so adding an antivirus/internet package like Norton or McAfee is actually adding another layer over that.

OS-X already has a basic Firewall installed, so adding an antivirus package with a firewall feature is adding another layer over that, as well..

In addition, different anti-SPAM, anti'/no-script and tools programs - as well as the regular Apple OS-X versions of some popular app's - are available for our iMacs and MacBooks as well...

smile.gif

In addition, regularly removing unwanted cookies from the system cache; along with occasional defragmenting and reformatting of your hard drive; can also go some way to helping with system security, as well as improving your computers operation and reliability..

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dr Zito
Posted: 23 October 2011 - 09:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:MacGyver 5x01
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Can I make a recommendation? download and keep around a boot cd with avira rescue disk, very handy in case of an emergency

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-a...r-rescue-system

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 15 November 2013 - 04:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Having a rescue disc is great but is also dependent on what threat your computer has at that point in time.

Personally, I have more faith in Trend's line of rescue discs along with some handy hints along the way i get from Yahoo answers smile.gif

Recently had an issue with my laptop but ran a restore on it and all was as good as new. Backup regularly.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll