Please Note      

You can only post replies to topics already posted in this forum. You can not start new topics. If you would like to discuss a character which doesn't already have their own topic please start the new topic in the Houseboat forum and we will move it to this forum for you.

Jennifer Reiner
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

How did you rate this character?
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 5 ]  [26.32%]
user posted image [ 5 ]  [26.32%]
user posted image [ 7 ]  [36.84%]
user posted image [ 2 ]  [10.53%]
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 26 December 2007 - 07:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Jennifer Reiner

Jennifer, whose street name was Crystal, became a prostitute after years of abuse by her policeman father.

MacGyver, Cynthia Wilson, and Kate Murphy helped to reform her.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 26 December 2007 - 08:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

If we're talking about the Jennifer in Runners, she's a good character--I truly felt compassion for her. If it's the Jennifer in MacGyver's Women--forget it! yucky.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 26 December 2007 - 08:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

the difference being?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Victoria_Rose
Posted on 27 December 2007 - 06:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Brown bomber

I felt sorry for the girl in Runners too, but I never considered her one of "MacGyver's Women." I would have reserved that title for the women that he was seeing, not just women that came into his life or that he tried to help. And I definitely didn't like the way they were treating Mac in that episode.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 27 December 2007 - 03:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

I mean the actress who played her in each episode. The Jennifer in MacGyver's Women behaves completely different from the Jennifer who played her in Runners. She doesn't have the same vulnerabilities and seems rather sexual and flirty in MacGyver's Women, whereas in Runners she wasn't sure about her "chosen profession" and in fact seems uncertain, scared, and rather disgusted by the notion of sleeping with total strangers. The Jennifer in Runners just seems more genuine and realistic to me because of the portrayal by the actress, that's all.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 27 December 2007 - 04:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I agree, but I don't think it's the actresses fault. That first scene in MacGyver's Women seemed to have all 4 womens behavior out of character.

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned in the episode discussion, but that whole scene just seemed so out of whack with regards to the way the women were behaving. So that would indicate that it was written that way rather than just the actors playing it that way..

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 27 December 2007 - 04:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Hmm- Jennifer Reiner had 2 appearances, so it's hard to say a whole lot about her. I definitely felt compassion for her in the "Runners" episode- that was a good episode that dealt with a heady topic and got across the message well.
I think Jennifer also proved to be a bit insightful as she pointed out to MacGyver that they were both runners who were running from problems they didn't want to deal with. Jennifer got some resolution with her problem by the end of the episode (and "MacGyver's Women" shows that it's still ongoing) and MacGyver got some resolution with his problem in "The Madonna".
And it was neat having her there in "MacGyver's Women"- I think she represented one of the many kids that MacGyver has befriended and helped throughout the series- MacGyver's little brother ("Pilot"), Yanna ("Thief of Budapest"), Lisa ("Nightmares"), Ahmed ("To Be A Man"), Paul Chan and Lisa Chan ("The Wish Child"), the kids in "Final Approach", Jenny ("Jenny's Chance"), Lisa Woodman, Breeze, Tommy Giordano, Amy ("Strictly Business") and tons of others really.
It's not like MacGyver was interested in dating Jennifer- but she represented some of the young women (and men) in his life that he's invested his life in helping through The Challengers Club and others that he's met along the way. And of course, MacGyver is good friends with Kate Murphy and she represents the police he's worked with- and then Maria Romburg of course is the woman he's dating at the moment and she represents all those girlfriends over the years.
But anyway, I think Jennifer Reiner was a sympathetic character when she first appeared and it was good to see some progression by "MacGyver's Women" and see her life getting turned around through the efforts of Cynthia Wilson, Kate Murphy and of course, MacGyver. MacG.gif smile.gif

PM                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 27 December 2007 - 05:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

You are right--it could have been more about a poorly written episode that didn't service any of the former female characters well than the actresses.

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 29 December 2007 - 08:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I voted good on a character that deserves 50% good and 50% OK. The Jennifer in Runners played it better. A girl who had to go through a big deal. Being slapped by her father and her pimp. In the end she seemed like an alright girl. She looked like... well Jennifer. In MacGyver's Women Jennifer was played by Traci Lords and guess from what industry she came from?
She indeed looked like more confident of herself and indeed more flirty and sexual. And the problems at home didn't seem to bother her.

I think I would go for the first Jennifer. She seemed more like the true Jennifer. You could clearly see it in the end that she was not who she said she was, but a girl with the right mind and the right abilities to make something of her life.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
jknnej
Posted on 20 June 2008 - 03:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

LOVED the Jennifer in Runners. Mac's Women, no. In fact, neither Kate nor Jennifer would have acted the way they did, in my opinion. Didn't like how that was written at all.
Plus the actress who played Jennifer in Mac's Women didn't do the first actress justice at all-and her hair??? What's up with that? It was awful.
I liked how Jennifer/Crystal got MacGyver to open up to him in Runners. It was really cool to see.
I especially liked how he took her to the police station, then asked if she could go home with him. He was like, "What???!!" She said, "Not to party..."
That was a great scene; almost comical.
I liked how the episode addressed drugs, abuse, prostitution, and the loss of a loved one all at once. It didn't seem to me like Jennifer had ever been a prostitute before-like this was her first time. Did everyone else get the same sense? Obviously she wasn't a seasoned pro like the older woman, but it didn't seem to me like she'd ever done it before, period.
I also thought this episode addressed those issues without being preachy. One of my favorite episodes, I think.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 20 June 2008 - 04:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I thought the story was that she had only just met up with snake. unsure.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jknnej
Posted on 20 June 2008 - 07:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah, she had just met up with him recently....
but, had she turned any tricks yet? It didn't seem like it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 21 June 2008 - 11:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

I thought they said she had been with Snakeskin for about a month, and while she was new, she had slept with men for money which she gave to the low-life pimp.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 22 June 2008 - 11:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Hmm.. I'll have to watch it again. I actually enjoy that episode for reasons I can't quite fathom, so it certainly wont be a hardship to re-watch. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 23 June 2008 - 03:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Ok I've just watched this episode again.

The story goes that she's been missing, on the run, on the streets for about a month, but there's no indication as to how much of that time has been spent with Snake Skin. there was also no indication about if she had been working for him.

I kinda got the feeling from the way Snake Skin was trying to boost her confidence that the convention center was her first job. It certainly seemed like her first time. She wasn't comfortable about it. But I think that was what the story was trying to convey. She was trapped and tricked by circumstances and a lying drug dealer.

All she needed was someone to help her out of the hole.

which reminds me of a great little story I heard a while back.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 23 June 2008 - 04:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

Ok if she was a runaway for a month, which her dad tells Cynthia, how was she feeding herself? Where did she sleep? Did she swipe Daddy's wallet--no I think she got hooked with Snakeskin pretty quick and he took advantage of the situation--she had some experience--a few jobs--maybe a couple--or maybe it was her first time--but would he have waited that long? She had been given instructions and clothing, another question--how much time did she spend with the other prostitutes?

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 23 June 2008 - 04:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I don't know how drug dealing pimps work. Is it conceivable that he took he took her in for a couple of weeks to get her use to the surroundings etc and then said "right. now you have to start working if you want to stay here"?

Another possibility is that we're mis-reading what the actress was trying to convey.

Perhaps she was trying to show that Jennifer was just uncomfortable with what she had to do, maybe she new it was wrong, she didn't like it.. but she didn't know anyway out of it. She had to do it to stay with Snake.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 31 August 2008 - 05:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

I really liked Jennifer as she was portrayed in Runners. I've never seen MacGyver's Women (you all know how much I hate the "alternative reality" eppys, with the exception of Passages), but if she was played by Traci Lords, I can imagine what her character was like! Oh dear.

Anyway, I got the impression that this wasn't Jennifer's first job, but maybe one of her first half-dozen or so. She seemed like she'd done it before, but it was clear that she really hated it. She knew she had to keep it up, though, at least until she found a way out.

I say if they were going to bring her back, they should have brought her back as closer to the original character. In fact, I seem to remember she DID have a cameo in one of the later Challenger Club eppys. Or am I hallucinating? blink.gif

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 3 September 2009 - 01:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I liked her more in Runners we felt sorry for her because her dad was hitting her for his own reason, which doesn't give a reason to hit a girl like that.

BrakeFluid
Posted on 28 December 2010 - 03:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: An old one. :)

Favorites
Episode:The Outsiders
Vehicle: Truck
House:  Loft

She could have supported herself by stealing up to the time we meet her. Remember she successfully pickpocketed MacGyver, which can't be easy.

If I could offer up a semi-defense of "MacGyver's Women," it does take place in his dream. Ergo, out of character behavior is easily explicable. Admittedly, that's not one of my favorite episodes either.

They've got guns. All I have is orange juice and a rope...

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 10 August 2013 - 06:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

Another person that the majority of society would of written off but Mac sees the potential in people.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
John Litteral
Posted on 30 January 2014 - 06:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Episode:changes often

My favorite part was when she was trying to hit Pete up for a trick! I loved his reaction! I agree with what someone pointed out, that MacGyver's Women was the actors in his dream, which would be an obvious distortion of anyone's character. I've dreamed of normal people doing wacky things, so I was not too taken back by her part in that episode. Though she was more flirty even at the beginning, calling him 'lover', which I didn't quite get that.

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Elizabeth MacGyver
Posted on 3 May 2015 - 06:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:the stringer

I didn't know until now that I'm the in Jennifer in "runners" was the same in "MacGyvers woman."

Hi I'm back!!!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 3 May 2015 - 07:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams

Same character, different actress. I actually prefer the actress in Runners.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Elizabeth MacGyver
Posted on 3 May 2015 - 07:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:the stringer

Yeah me too. smile.gif

Hi I'm back!!!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jackie547
Posted on 29 November 2015 - 06:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

the first jennifer was holly fields and the second one was traci lords

MacGyverGod
Posted on 30 November 2015 - 01:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Traci Lords, that naughty girl. But Holly Fields, yeah, she looks more like the real Jennifer. Especially after she took that shower and got rid of the whore-look.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 3 October 2016 - 12:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered

QUOTE (MacGirl @ 31 August 2008 - 05:36 PM)
I really liked Jennifer as she was portrayed in Runners. I've never seen MacGyver's Women (you all know how much I hate the "alternative reality" eppys, with the exception of Passages), but if she was played by Traci Lords, I can imagine what her character was like! Oh dear.

Is there some kind of universal rule that porn actresses are incapable of actual acting-acting?

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 3 October 2016 - 12:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I think those actresses are chosen for something else besides their... 'acting' skills. tongue.gif

Seeing a porn actress in a mainstream movie is a rarity so I can't judge. biggrin.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 3 October 2016 - 01:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 3 October 2016 - 12:54 PM)
I think those actresses are chosen for something else besides their... 'acting' skills. tongue.gif

Seeing a porn actress in a mainstream movie is a rarity so I can't judge. biggrin.gif

I thought her acting was okay for this character.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll