SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

QUOTE (Drawz @ 27 June 2013 - 08:10 PM)
I haven't flown for years. Coming up at the end of this year will be the first time, for my sister's wedding. I was really glad to find out that I would be able to take my Sak with me. Now, that dream is dashed.

I think I may have to call her and demand that she go buy one for me to use and carry for the weekend that I'll be there.

Or you could just put it in your checked luggage which is what most people do, and still have your SAK without all the drama.

the 9/11 hijackers took a plane with box cutters! You know what approximates the cutting edge of a box cutter? A sharpened quarter!

If you talking about the length of the blade your wrong. Most box knives these days have extendable blades which easily extend to 3 inches in length.

user posted image

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Bushwalker
Posted: 9 August 2013 - 01:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Trekker

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
House:  Second Loft

QUOTE (Drawz @ 3 August 2013 - 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Scwilson @ 1 August 2013 - 12:58 AM)
sakopen.gif I agree to the concept of keeping it light. When I go fishing or camping I always have my sak, a zippo lighter, and a small flashlight.

Forget camping. When I go anywhere I have my SAK, a Zippo and a flashlight.

smile.gif

MY take on some essential "everyday carry" items:
Pocketknife (has to be the SAK for the McGyver fans ~ that's a 'given' !);
Some kind of "firestarter" ~ usually a 'BIC' style disposable;
A length of mason's (builders') twine ~ more compact and flexible than paracord;
And, a small notepad and pencil is always handy...

"Nice to have":
A roll of tape ~ whether duct/gaffer, 'Elastoplast'/strapping/athletic, or "Repair"/'Gorilla' tapes ~ they all work pretty well;
Flashlight (or a really small headlamp..);
Some basic first aid supplies..

"Luxuries":
A small magnifying glass;
A couple of paper clips;
Waterproof matches (+ striker, in small ziploc bag);
Mobile phone.

ALL of which can still be carried in pockets and on your person.. sakopen.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Drawz
Posted: 10 August 2013 - 08:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Observatory

I like the way you think, Bushwalker. smile.gif

"Never go anywhere without a knife."
~L.J.G.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Drawz
Posted: 10 August 2013 - 08:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 9 August 2013 - 02:28 AM)
I haven't flown for years. Coming up at the end of this year will be the first time, for my sister's wedding. I was really glad to find out that I would be able to take my Sak with me. Now, that dream is dashed.

I think I may have to call her and demand that she go buy one for me to use and carry for the weekend that I'll be there.

Or you could just put it in your checked luggage which is what most people do, and still have your SAK without all the drama.

the 9/11 hijackers took a plane with box cutters! You know what approximates the cutting edge of a box cutter? A sharpened quarter!

If you talking about the length of the blade your wrong. Most box knives these days have extendable blades which easily extend to 3 inches in length.

user posted image

Yeah, but if I did that, what would I bitch about? smile.gif

That's not a real utility knife, those little cheapo plastic things with the snap off blades are some sort of "arts and crafts" tool.

I'm talking about something like this:

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_appr...tter-blades.jpg

Though, the newer, folding versions that use the same type of blades are pretty nice as well.

~L.J.G.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fellow Traveler
Posted: 19 August 2013 - 12:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:

Have we already discussed Mac's luggage anywhere?

Regards, J.W.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 19 August 2013 - 01:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Fellow Traveler @ 19 August 2013 - 08:10 PM)
Have we already discussed Mac's luggage anywhere?

Don't think so. Feel free to start a discussion on it.

PM                                                                     
mac8
Posted: 30 September 2013 - 03:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Target Macgyver

Good idea.

"the tigers could have used you this year." MacGyver in the road not taken.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Grazer
Posted: 31 May 2014 - 04:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:The Eraser

QUOTE (Drawz @ 11 August 2013 - 05:50 AM)

user posted image

That's not a real utility knife, those little cheapo plastic things with the snap off blades are some sort of "arts and crafts" tool.

Um, you didn't say anything about a utility knife. You said box cutter.

Also I believe it was specifically mentioned in one of the new reports that they used plastic knives, which makes sense as they are far more common and easier to find than the old style metal ones.

"One time we were on a camping trip. This bear ate all our food! I got all wimpy scared, but my grandpa, he said to me, 'Bud. . . we'll just go grazing.'"

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
montaƱes
Posted: 27 October 2014 - 11:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

basically take only what serves more than 3 things to a minimum and get into a pocket of pants. small knife, tape, igniter, usb stick

sak.gif duct.gif clip.JPG idea.jpg idea.jpg clip.JPG MacG.gif wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 03:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

I never mastered the notion of travelling light, whistle.gif However, I can normally be relied upon to find a solution to most things because of what I might routinely carry. Women have a bit more flexibility due to the status of normally having a handbag. Mine routinely contains: Leatherman PSII, tape measure, pens, pen light, purse/credit/debit cards, often small SAK, Mifi unit, resuscitation face shields, paracetamol, ibuprofen, allergy anti-histamine pills, phenylephidrine tablets, menthol sweets, business cards in holder, keys, driving licence, cheque book, tissues, paperclips, hair grips, hair ties, occasionally super strength elastoplasts, mobile smart phone.

If I go walking I add a rucksack with survival sack, small 3'x5' tarpaulin (that goes everywhere the rucksack does even if I remove other hiking gear - comes into its own in hand-luggage when at airports and there are no spare seats, putting on wet seats and tables etc.), compass, GPS (only a simple unit - no map, just to confirm a map ref.), water, larger SAK, magnesium firestarter, dry strike matches, hat, gloves, often short climbing quality rope, first aid kit (Plus above tablets) in plastic container with lid, condom, tampon (both have all sorts of potential uses), tissues, signal mirror, OS maps, waterproof jacket and most of what was in handbag.

My car (an estate) usually contains several blankets, waterproof mat, jack, spare wheel, tools, air pump, duct tape, bungees, 2 sets of jump leads, ratchet straps, 6 x 500ml water, first aid kit large enough for multiple casualties, GPS, road map (I have seen satellites disappear at inappropriate moments), vomit bags (kids wink.gif ), wet wipes, resuscitation shields, large SAK, small change for car parking machines, variety of adapters for electronics to 12V supply, large torch, pro-plus, hazard triangle, hi vis X 4, gloves, spare pullover/fleece, spare fuses, spare bulb set, fire-extinguisher, phone number for recovery company (though I prefer to cope if I can it's quicker), large shopping bags, brolly.

I also have water purification tabs and a snare at home that I take depending on the situation.

I can also, kill and cook, and have done marine survival, first aid and firefighting courses. I don't think I am geared up like MacGyver (i.e. light!), but I think I have the be-prepared mind-set. I guess the question to ask is would you want to be my 'mate' in an emergency?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 04:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

surprise.gif One word, YES. happy_dance.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 05:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I was just talking about this with my son, an Eagle Scout. I usually pack one of my SAK's, a few of the large paperclips and a roll of duct tape wrapped around an old card. That's pretty much EDC for me, but I find that I carry a whole lot less now than I used to. My Huntsman doesn't see the carrytime that it used to, as I find that my Minichamp or Sportsman will do 90 percent of what I need to do anyways!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 28 September 2015 - 11:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

I've just taken delivery of a Swiss Army chronograph ladies watch. I've been looking for something robust enough to go everywhere I do. I didn't know that Victorinox made watches until I logged on here and the brand seemed to be just what I needed.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Drawz
Posted: 4 October 2015 - 06:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Grazer @ 31 May 2014 - 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (Drawz @ 11 August 2013 - 05:50 AM)

user posted image

Um, you didn't say anything about a utility knife. You said box cutter.

Also I believe it was specifically mentioned in one of the new reports that they used plastic knives, which makes sense as they are far more common and easier to find than the old style metal ones.

Those two are synonymous in my mind. And there are, and have been for a long time, plastic versions of the metal utility knife, I've owned a few myself.

http://www.safetyknivesandcutters.com/imag.../medium/670.jpg

~L.J.G.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Drawz
Posted: 4 October 2015 - 06:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Maclover @ 28 September 2015 - 02:47 PM)
I've just taken delivery of a Swiss Army chronograph ladies watch. I've been looking for something robust enough to go everywhere I do. I didn't know that Victorinox made watches until I logged on here and the brand seemed to be just what I needed.

How do you like it?

I looked at Victorinox watches a while back. They seem to be insanely overpriced. I'm sporting a $50 Timex Expedition that's been rock solid for years. I'll need to replace the leather band in a year or so, but other than that, it's like brand new.

Did you pay a lot for yours? Is it ten times better than the Timex you could have bought? smile.gif

P.S. All of this is just cover for the fact that I envy you and your watch. I want one... perhaps a men's version though.

~L.J.G.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 4 October 2015 - 08:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Hi Drawz, I bought this one http://www.watchtag.com/swiss-army-victori...tch-241502.html I'd never dealt with the company previously, but they delivered a rock solid service and I'd recommend them. It was heavy in my hand, but on the wrist the weight disappeared. I wanted something 'different' and robust enough to go anywhere I went and I have an odd sort of life where I be in a posh conference/hotel, out on a working ship, or cleaning out animals or camping/hiking (am I a regular MacGyver!). I've lived in a rotary for last 8 years or so with crystals around the face, but although it looked pretty it wasn't robust enough - the crystals were easily lost - I filled in with ebay specials. It is certainly different and I am still not 100% certain it suits me, but it is growing on me. Why didn't I get a Timex? Well my first ever watch was a Timex - I got them for my kids, but I work in a high value industry and a bit of 'real estate' on my wrist doesn't hurt. I just spotted that Watchtag offer on the Victorinox, did some looking around and realised that is was actually a fair offer on an dearer brand and thought I would treat myself. I actually hanker after a Rolex oyster ladies perpetual date-just, but I don't think I'll ever get my hands on one of those and I would probably be frightened to wear that all day everyday. However, to answer your question yes, I guess a $50 Timex would have served, I just got the Victorinox I think.....err... because I could, because I spotted it whilst websurfing and because I'd gone looking for Victorinox watches after seeing them mentioned on this site - I probably wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't made the link from this forum.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 4 October 2015 - 01:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I like it Maclover! I've sported a Wenger watch for the past 17 years which got me thru the Army, numerous adventures, as well as the day to day beating it takes from my country living and my job. I can't argue with its durability.

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Drawz
Posted: 4 October 2015 - 10:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Maclover @ 4 October 2015 - 11:44 AM)
Hi Drawz, I bought this one http://www.watchtag.com/swiss-army-victori...tch-241502.html I'd never dealt with the company previously, but they delivered a rock solid service and I'd recommend them. It was heavy in my hand, but on the wrist the weight disappeared. I wanted something 'different' and robust enough to go anywhere I went and I have an odd sort of life where I be in a posh conference/hotel, out on a working ship, or cleaning out animals or camping/hiking (am I a regular MacGyver!). I've lived in a rotary for last 8 years or so with crystals around the face, but although it looked pretty it wasn't robust enough - the crystals were easily lost - I filled in with ebay specials. It is certainly different and I am still not 100% certain it suits me, but it is growing on me. Why didn't I get a Timex? Well my first ever watch was a Timex - I got them for my kids, but I work in a high value industry and a bit of 'real estate' on my wrist doesn't hurt. I just spotted that Watchtag offer on the Victorinox, did some looking around and realised that is was actually a fair offer on an dearer brand and thought I would treat myself. I actually hanker after a Rolex oyster ladies perpetual date-just, but I don't think I'll ever get my hands on one of those and I would probably be frightened to wear that all day everyday. However, to answer your question yes, I guess a $50 Timex would have served, I just got the Victorinox I think.....err... because I could, because I spotted it whilst websurfing and because I'd gone looking for Victorinox watches after seeing them mentioned on this site - I probably wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't made the link from this forum.

Aces.

Nice watch.

~L.J.G.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Drawz
Posted: 4 October 2015 - 10:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Barry Rowland @ 4 October 2015 - 04:03 PM)
I like it Maclover! I've sported a Wenger watch for the past 17 years which got me thru the Army, numerous adventures, as well as the day to day beating it takes from my country living and my job. I can't argue with its durability.

I have a weird prejudice against Werner. Not sure why.

~L.J.G.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 4 October 2015 - 11:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I have to agree. Perhaps it depends on its user but all the Wenger's I used eventually fell apart in one way or another.

Also, their overall quality is second grade. For instance the magnifying glass is a cheap patch up compared to that of Victorinox.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 5 October 2015 - 12:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I'm a Victorinox guy thru and thru. I found a deal on this watch back in 1998 and picked it up. So far so good....lol. I'm not a big Wenger fan either. Their knives just don't have the feel that my Vic's do. One of these days a Vic watch is going to replace this one....a buddy of mine has one and I love it!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 5 October 2015 - 11:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Well I think this website is getting to me.

Glad you liked the watch, its probably a bit ostentatious for Mac, but I think it's heart is in the right place. So what mad thing have I done tonight?

Well....,.......this mad middle aged mum has been and visited an indoor climbing wall, and the nice young men there are going to teach me to climb, in time properly with all the ropes and belays etc. I've never done anything like it before, but the way I figure things I might as well try as much as I can before I shuffle off this mortal coil and I'm not getting any younger. I was only in smart casual tonight, but had taken training shoes just in case and they did offer me a chance to try the easy wall, I did it twice! On different sides, all 9m of it. I didn't think I would be fit enough, but I really chuffed with myself and wanted to share. Hope you don't mind.blush.gif

So do II get bonus points for gearing up like Macgyver,?!! LOL

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 5 October 2015 - 03:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Isn't it a blast Maclover? I get a chance usually once a year with my sons, boy scouts. I love testing myself! Way to go!! thumbsup.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
nathalie572
Posted: 17 December 2015 - 11:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Sweet! so uesful...

denizen
Posted: 18 December 2015 - 08:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Thanks for your post and welcome to MacGyver Online nathalie572. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Scorpion Regent
Posted: 17 June 2016 - 06:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Various

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

New member, first post,

What does the man who can do all most anything carry with him to do his job? That was the question that brought me to this forum.

Traveling light is a huge exercise in self discipline, but my absolute minimum kit is my wallet, key lanyard and glasses.
At work I have my tools so I don't need to carry anything around. The Toolbox is right there. I have safety pins pinned into the collar tabs of my work jacket.
Off work I carry my Victorinox German army knife and I wear my watch and often a paracord bracelet I've made. I don't carry duct tape, but there is always some in my truck or at the house. If don't have a flashlight on me there is one close at hand. When I wear a shirt with collar tabs or a chest pocket I clip a paper clip on one or the other. I often have my iPod with me because music is a great motivator, audiobooks and podcasts help pass time, and it can do double duty as a portable hard drive.

I have a bag I keep close, it's inventory is fluid, you're likely find: a first aid kit, a sewing kit, a compass, a small tape measure, bandannas, a fire steel, a ball point pen, a sharpie marker, a whistle, hand sanitizer, and a toothbrush.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 17 June 2016 - 03:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Welcome to the forums Scorpion Regent.

This caught my attention.....

Victorinox german army knife

German? You mean Swiss?

PM                                                                     
Scorpion Regent
Posted: 17 June 2016 - 05:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Episode:

No, my knife is made by Victorinox, in Switzerland, for the German army. Therefore it is a German army knife.
Here are some examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SWISS-ARMY-548...VEAAOSwl8NVZ6P~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/original-VICTORINO...JAAAOSwvg9XYt5s

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 17 June 2016 - 06:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Huh. I've never seen that before. cool.

PM                                                                     
Scorpion Regent
Posted: 17 June 2016 - 10:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Episode:

It is fairly good at peeling oranges and what not. It lacks the small tools such as a tooth pick, scissors or tweezers, but the blade locks, as does the flat blade screwdriver. I consider it an improvement on the basic Victorinox I used to carry, I think it was a Spartan or some such. I have a Gerber dime on my key lanyard for the delicate stuff.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll