Who loves telly? I do! I do!, What are all of you watching...
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Sheepy
Posted: 25 March 2007 - 10:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Well I don't think it's ethical. It's not the concept of the program.
Right here in Olanda everything is now done through tele voting.
"Dancing with the stars" "Dancing on ice" "X-factor" "Idols" "Big Brother" "Just the two of us" "So you wanna be a popstar" EVERYTHING!
It's enough to drive a person insane! The programmes are okay to watch, but it's way too commercial! blowup.gif

Astra
Posted: 26 March 2007 - 11:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

You don't have "Stars in the jungle" in the Netherlands? They were in Australia, it was a pretty expensive show, and they had to eat bugs and such and doing other disgusting things. And that were prominent people. I really wonder why someone would do something like that. Didn't watch it.

Don't know why I should watch something like "Big Brother" either. Did this arrive in America yet, Devon? If not, you don't miss anything important laugh.gif

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted: 26 March 2007 - 12:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I have heard of it yes. An ultimate test whether celebs would survive? I believe there's a show or there will be one.... huh.gif

MacGyverGod
Posted: 26 March 2007 - 12:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

Celebrity Shock?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 26 March 2007 - 06:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

Ugh, I absolutely loathe reality TV! yucky.gif I just thought I'd add that. wink.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted: 27 March 2007 - 05:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Thief of Budapest
Jacket:  Brown bomber

QUOTE (Astra @ 27 March 2007 - 07:58 AM)
You don't have "Stars in the jungle" in the Netherlands? They were in Australia, it was a pretty expensive show, and they had to eat bugs and such and doing other disgusting things. And that were prominent people. I really wonder why someone would do something like that. Didn't watch it.

Don't know why I should watch something like "Big Brother" either. Did this arrive in America yet, Devon? If not, you don't miss anything important laugh.gif

Kind of like "Survivor" in the US? It sounds like it only Survivor is not celebrities. Never got into Survivor or Big Brother. Can't stand folks eating bugs! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted: 27 March 2007 - 06:30 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Worst of it all is: Big Brother is Dutch from origin! We came up with smut like that!!! blowup.gif headbutt.gif

MacGirl
Posted: 27 March 2007 - 09:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

QUOTE (Devon636 @ 21 March 2007 - 03:38 PM)
MacGirl, I've never seen Extreme Home Makeover but I keep reading about it and it sounds so wonderful. There aren't enough random kindnesses like that ya know? And sounds like good family viewing too.

Yeah, Extreme Makeover Home Edition is a great family show. No swearing, no sex and violence, just doing something good for someone who needs it. I just saw a great one this week, where they built a huge, beautiful house for a woman and her four grandchildren. Up to that time, they had all been living in a tiny (and I mean tiny!) trailer. If that weren't enough, they also gave college scholarships to all four kids, AND had a benefit concert for the family and raised something like $200,000 for them, as a nest egg. On top of all that, they sent the family to Disney World while their new house was being built.

Oh, and bonus: the host, Ty Pennington, is a lot of fun to watch. Really cute, totally sweet with the families, and has more energy than ten little kids. It's a blast to watch him surprising the families and keeping the building crew motivated.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 27 March 2007 - 10:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Devon636 @ 27 March 2007 - 02:32 PM)

Kind of like "Survivor" in the US? It sounds like it only Survivor is not celebrities. Never got into Survivor or Big Brother. Can't stand folks eating bugs! biggrin.gif

*Begins eating bugs.* They're crunchy. nasty.gif

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 27 March 2007 - 01:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGirl @ 28 March 2007 - 05:14 AM)
QUOTE (Devon636 @ 21 March 2007 - 03:38 PM)
MacGirl, I've never seen Extreme Home Makeover but I keep reading about it and it sounds so wonderful. There aren't enough random kindnesses like that ya know? And sounds like good family viewing too.

Yeah, Extreme Makeover Home Edition is a great family show. No swearing, no sex and violence, just doing something good for someone who needs it. I just saw a great one this week, where they built a huge, beautiful house for a woman and her four grandchildren. Up to that time, they had all been living in a tiny (and I mean tiny!) trailer. If that weren't enough, they also gave college scholarships to all four kids, AND had a benefit concert for the family and raised something like $200,000 for them, as a nest egg. On top of all that, they sent the family to Disney World while their new house was being built.

Oh, and bonus: the host, Ty Pennington, is a lot of fun to watch. Really cute, totally sweet with the families, and has more energy than ten little kids. It's a blast to watch him surprising the families and keeping the building crew motivated.

I've often thought it would be interesting to see some of those places in a years time to see if they still looked the same, or even if the people are still living in them or had to sell up because they couldn't afford to maintain the house.

Some of those houses would be pretty expensive to keep especially ones with special equipment in them.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SAK
Posted: 27 March 2007 - 10:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Recruit, Hiker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:I haven't seen them all yet

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 27 March 2007 - 12:22 PM)
*Begins eating bugs.* They're crunchy.  nasty.gif

And full of protein! drool.gif

sak.gif

I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you. -MacGyver

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 March 2007 - 07:30 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (SAK @ 28 March 2007 - 07:27 AM)
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 27 March 2007 - 12:22 PM)
*Begins eating bugs.* They're crunchy.  nasty.gif

And full of protein! drool.gif

sak.gif

laugh.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted: 28 March 2007 - 07:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Hmmz... when I think of something that's full of protein I tend to think of something else. dry.gif

But that's completely different TV I guess.... blush.gif

Off to wash my mouth now.... headbutt.gif

MacNymph
Posted: 29 March 2007 - 08:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 28 March 2007 - 09:30 AM)
I've often thought it would be interesting to see some of those places in a years time to see if they still looked the same, or even if the people are still living in them or had to sell up because they couldn't afford to maintain the house.

Some of those houses would be pretty expensive to keep especially ones with special equipment in them.

I've only seen this show a couple times and maybe they've mentioned something and I missed it, but, being a homeowner I've wondered the same thing.

The only thing I can figure is, if the house has been given to them, there's no rent and no mortgage. $600 - $1400 can to along way if it doesn't have to go to "housing".

*shrugs* Maybe.. I dunno. Hate to think, 2-4 years from now those people are going to be right back in the same situation.

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 29 March 2007 - 11:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

From what I understand, any mortgage on the old house is taken care of and the new house is completely free.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 30 March 2007 - 05:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Hey anyone ever heard of a show called Q.E.D. ?

It was made in 1982.. and here in New Zealand actually filled the time slot later taken by MacGyver.

It was basically about a guy who was very MacGyver-like in his scientific knowledge and applying it to situations he found himself in.

I found this description on IMDB

The tales of Quentin E. Deverill, an eccentric expatriate American professor who uses his unique skills to solve mysteries in Edwardian London

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted: 30 March 2007 - 06:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Sheepy @ 29 March 2007 - 03:43 AM)
Hmmz... when I think of something that's full of protein I tend to think of something else. dry.gif

But that's completely different TV I guess.... blush.gif

Off to wash my mouth now.... headbutt.gif

SHEEPY!!! surprise.gif *mock horror*But I'm really laugh.gif ing.

I haven't heard of Q.E.D...Do you ever wonder if show creators get the seeds of creation for their shows by watching other shows? Can somebody tell me the inspiration of how Lee David Zlotoff invented MacGyver?

Xtreme Home Makeover... Ya I've wondered if the show provides any stipend for property taxes, maintenance etc. It seems like they may as well, as long as they're doing the rest. The families all seem truly deserving. As far as what the home's condition would be a few years later, I would guess that the producers (or whoever) screen the applicants so carefully to ensure that the people are really ready, willing, and able to take care of the grand kind of homes the show gifts people with. (At least I hope! I like to think the best of people! tongue.gif ) Doesn't it seem like the kind of show MacGyver would get behind though? Charity and all? I think so.

All you bug eaters and bug crunchers - you're sick! puke.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 31 March 2007 - 12:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Devon636 @ 27 March 2007 - 02:32 PM)
You don't have "Stars in the jungle" in the Netherlands?

Well, actually it was more like "Big brother in the jungle". Not much about surviving stuff there. Most of the day the celebrities were sitting around in their camp and fighting about who had to clean the toilet and who had to cook the meals.

The audience had fun in hearing them talking about the others when they thought nobody else could hear it. And once in a day someone had to make a nasty test, and people could call in and vote who had to do it today and they also could vote who had to leave the camp and in the end there was one jungle king or queen.

QUOTE (Sheepy @ 27 March 2007 - 03:40 PM)
Worst of it all is: Big Brother is Dutch from origin! We came up with smut like that!!!  blowup.gif  headbutt.gif

That's why I mentioned it laugh.gif John de Mol is to blame.

But I think, the really worst is, that the TV-stations keep arguing: "We only show what the audience wants to watch, and as long as the ratings are high we don't see any reason to change."

But I know a lot of people that doesn't want to watch that crap.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 31 March 2007 - 01:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Astra)
But I think, the really worst is, that the TV-stations keep arguing: "We only show what the audience wants to watch, and as long the ratings are high we don't see any reason to change."

Unfortunately the sad truth is that TV shows live and die by ratings. The fact that these shows are still running means there are more people watching than not.

The problem with any system based on ratings or votes like this is that it will always cater to the lowest common denominator, so instead of setting high standards and ideals, we end up with smut and stupidity all over our TV screens because the biggest percentage of TV viewers are made up of hormone stupefied teenagers with nothing other than smut on their minds.

ranting2.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted: 31 March 2007 - 05:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

SHEEPY!!!  *mock horror*But I'm really laugh.gif  ing.

wonder if show creators get the seeds of creation

You start about seeds after my last post?!?!?! roller.gif roller.gif

I guess we agree on the fact we all like MacGyver better than present TV shows jump.gif

MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 March 2007 - 07:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Can somebody tell me the inspiration of how Lee David Zlotoff invented MacGyver?

He probably figured that it might be interesting to have a non-violent action hero and his name would be MacGyver!!
But I indeed wanna know he came up with the name 'MacGyver' just like how they came up with the name 'Magnum'.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Devon636
Posted: 31 March 2007 - 10:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

Sheepy, did I Freudian slip or what?! laugh.gif

Ya MGod, that's what I want to know too... The origin of the name, also what was the inspiration of the show, like did Zlotoff let something from another show percolate in his brain, or did he really just think out of the blue that there was a market for a non-violent action hero?

Does anyone agree with me that "Fear Factor" is the dumbest show EVER? (No offense if anyone likes it.)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 31 March 2007 - 01:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

As I understand it, the idea for the show was actually conceived by Henry Winkler and John Rice.

They wanted to try a show which had a (somewhat) normal human-being as the hero, instead of pumped up Rambo types that just use a gun to solve problems.

I would assume Rice and Winkler handed the idea over to Zlotoff to come up with the actual details of the show.

It would be interesting to see/read/hear an interview with any (or all) of these 3 men to answer some of the questions we've raised.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted: 31 March 2007 - 09:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 1 April 2007 - 10:03 AM)

It would be interesting to see/read/hear an interview with any (or all) of these 3 men to answer some of the questions we've raised.

Yes, very...Do you imagine there's anything like that out there? And by "out there" I guess I mean the internet...I wouldn't even begin to know where to look.

I really think it's very interesting, since "Rambo" types were the prevailing hero medium of the day. Arnold Shwarzenegger's "Terminator" etc. I remember thinking as a little kid that MacGyver was so cool because he COULD be real...

Maybe a dumb question...Is Henry Winkler the same one from that old show "Happy Days"?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 1 April 2007 - 12:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Maybe a dumb question...Is Henry Winkler the same one from that old show "Happy Days"?

The one and only true Fonz. And it had to be his idea because Happy Days lasted till 1984 and one year later MacGyver was born.
And Winkler's most recent appearance in a movie was Click with Adam Sandler as his father. In a flashback they show him with black hair and looks exactly like the Fonz.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 1 April 2007 - 12:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 1 April 2007 - 08:23 PM)
And it had to be his idea because Happy Days lasted till 1984 and one year later MacGyver was born.
And Winkler's most recent appearance in a movie was Click with Adam Sandler as his father. In a flashback they show him with black hair and looks exactly like the Fonz.

Oh yeah…

That definitely proves that MacGyver was his idea.

Yep.. no doubt about it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 1 April 2007 - 12:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

With that I mean there could be a good possibility.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Devon636
Posted: 2 April 2007 - 08:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

OK Well thanks for your "help" boys... tongue.gif *teasing*

Just googled up Henry Winkler, who, it appears, was indeed The Fonze. Learned some interesting things...that he has dyslexia, and also that his parents were holocaust survivors. He's obviously overcome some challenges, and seems to be a very down to earth individual.

So it lists him as the producer and director of MacGyver, and also of the two MacGyver movies, but not as the creator of MacGyver...So am I correct in thinking that Zlotoff was the only creator of MacGyver? And that Winkler had nothing to do with the show's early conception?

Interesting to imagine how Winkler's parents experience must have given him very personal feelings and ideas for the 10% solution...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Devon636
Posted: 3 April 2007 - 07:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

Does anyone remember a show from around the maybe mid-80's called "The Love Boat"? Apparently RDA was in it and even though my babysitter watched this show constantly, I have no memory of seeing him specifically, just other characters on the show, like Captain Stuebing and Isaac.

Also anyone watch "Family Ties", "The Walton's", or "Dukes of Hazzard"? I think all these shows are 80's or were on re-runs in the mid 80's.

I find I'm like really nostalgic lately for shows I used to watch in kindergarden. Everything was just simpler then...Does anyone ever unplug the phone, scoop up some strawberry ice cream, and just veg out with an old fashioned show from a simpler time? I do this with MacGyver too. Am I deranged? I can't tell if it's that TV was cleaner, or was the world really simpler, or was my life as a kid just simpler?

If anyone remembers an obscure show called "Punky Brewster" I will seriously die.

I just figured out what is happening to me. I am becoming an elderly person. THIS is exactly why elderly people always want to talk about "The good old days" and watch boring TV shows and listen to big band music. I'm so scared rite now. blink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 3 April 2007 - 08:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

I know exactly what you're talking about! To me, nothing that's on TV now compares to the shows I grew up with--they're so much more entertaining and seem to have more depth to them than a lot of current shows. "Back then," wink.gif you couldn't get away with half of the garbage they show on TV now, which resulted in richer and more inventive storylines.

I don't think the world was simpler back then, though. Communism was a real threat, and there has always been violence. I just think these shows bring us back to our childhoods and times we enjoyed before the "real world" set in and made us more cynical.

It is scary to talk about "the good old days," and I'm only 27! Yeesh! blink.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll