Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 13 April 2010 - 12:07 AM)
By the way Rock wasn't that flag because he was against The Gulf War. Wasn't that war over yet at the time. Besides the flag hasn't always been on that jacket. I think only in season 6 and 7.

I'm not sure why the flag was there.

Usually people wear flags to show support, not to protest, so if it was anything to with the war it would have been to show his support for the solders.

But remember RDA didn't run the show and something that obvious and prominent would have had to be OK'd by the producers because at the end of the day they have a product they want to sell overseas an they don't want to jeopardize it, so I wonder if it even had anything to do with RDA at all. Maybe they just wanted to show that MacGyver was patriotic to his country.

Anyway I think the reason I mentioned the flag on the jacket is because once a patch is glued onto a jacket you can't usually remove it very easily, so it was either a different jacket he was wearing, or the movie was in a different MacGyver-verse.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 20 July 2010 - 03:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

I also liked the cop who was on Mac's case constantly about "interfering with the investigation." I couldn't figure out which side he was on, and more than once, found myself wondering whether he was actually working for the bad guys. But he turned out to be on the right side after all, just an extreme bureaucrat.

That was Alun Armstrong! He shows up in the movies The Mummy Returns and Van Helsing.

An extreme bureaucrat? He actually tried to kill Mac with that carbomb. And that was a nice effect though. In the end they shake hands as if nothing happend. But they were on the same side.

I do kind of agree with those who found the in-bed-with-the-mysterious-woman scene a little weird. I don't object to seeing Mac in bed with anyone, but it felt a bit forced. It did seem like the writers were thinking, "OK, how are we going to make this appeal to an adult audience? I know! We'll throw in a sex scene!"

You call that a sex scene? huh.gif Than I really don't wanna know what they did to him when he passed out in that puddle. For his sake I hope she took off his clothes. They just took advantage of him. Good thing is, his "fever" broke. biggrin.gif

I remember the first time seeing it, I didn't like it that much, I learned to accept it over the years. And there's definitely been a time I choose it over LTOA. LTOA is too much another Indy-like film and there were plenty episodes of that. That's just brains off. TTD is much more serious and I just happen to like to more darker grittier stuff. Movies like Running Scared for instance.

Scenes like the funeral, the fight and the sewers, Graves death and Natalia's betrayal and other peoples involvement who you'd figure a good guy first like that professor.

By the way, just a little something I figured out recently is that Elise is played by Lena Headey who played Sarah Conner in Terminator; The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 20 July 2010 - 06:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 20 July 2010 - 10:31 PM)
Usually people wear flags to show support, not to protest, so if it was anything to with the war it would have been to show his support for the solders.

But remember RDA didn't run the show and something that obvious and prominent would have had to be OK'd by the producers because at the end of the day they have a product they want to sell overseas an they don't want to jeopardize it, so I wonder if it even had anything to do with RDA at all. Maybe they just wanted to show that MacGyver was patriotic to his country.

Anyway I think the reason I mentioned the flag on the jacket is because once a patch is glued onto a jacket you can't usually remove it very easily, so it was either a different jacket he was wearing, or the movie was in a different MacGyver-verse.

Here's a simpler explanation. Mac was a Vietnam veteran. Most U.S. military veterans will display the flag somehow, whether on the sleeve of a jacket, on their car (bumper sticker or window clingie) or in front of their home, regardless of which war they were in.

So I think it was more in keeping with the character than with anything RDA may have felt or said about the Gulf War. And we have seen Mac wear a flag on his jacket sleeve before.

And MacGod, I was using the term "sex scene" loosely. When you see two characters in bed together, especially if they're naked, that's usually the implication!

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsLegacyLiveForever
Posted on 30 September 2011 - 12:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Eagles, Passages
Jacket:  Brown bomber

I love both MacGyver movies but maybe I prefer little more Lost treasure of Atlantis. happy.gif

"I guess the way you look at the world depends on where you are. From up here it looked like a pretty nice place."

"When I was a kid, my grandfather used to say to me that ... a fellow's life wasn't worth mentioning if he hadn't shared it with some folks along the way."

"Goodbye, Grandpa."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 14 October 2012 - 09:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams

I just got these movies on DVD yesterday in the mail. Dad and I watched this one together. He never watched anything MacGyver related until now. I was kinda surprised that it was better then I had expected... even my Dad liked it.

I was kinda bummed about the lack of SAK and clever MacGyver-isms, but it was still fairly good for being made for TV. My Dad likes the whole "espionage thriller" aspect of it.

Of course, we both had to laugh at the cliched "bed" scene. XD Poor Mac... his reaction was hilarious.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MDBfan
Posted on 10 May 2013 - 01:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Strictly Business

I watched both TV movies this week and I like "Trail to Doomsday" a lot better than "Lost Treasure of Atlantis". I agree with the comments here about the two movies being very different. "Trail to Doomsday" seems to be aiming for a more "grown up" audience.

A bit odd that Paul and MacGyver were close friends and Mac was invited to his birthday, yet they hadn't seen each other in 15 years! Well, MacGyver has a lot of friends to catch up with.

MacGyver (to Frederick at the vacuum pump): "Your logic sucks" laugh.gif

Probably just me but I think Natalia looks a bit like Kate Winslet! (I know it's not her tongue.gif)
user posted image

"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 10 May 2013 - 03:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Yeah I think your right.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 11 May 2013 - 12:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I wouldn't say that. Maybe just a very little bit.

"Tonight MacGyver - Trail To Doomsday starring Richard Dean Anderson and Kate Winslet." laugh.gif

It's great movie. Better than nothing.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MDBfan
Posted on 12 May 2013 - 12:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

We get to see the knife from "Strictly Business" again! smile.gif (The one that Murdoc throws at the HIT board members.)

Trail to Doomsday
user posted image

Strictly Business
user posted image

"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 12 May 2013 - 02:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

The Strictly Business one is more shiny. biggrin.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MDBfan
Posted on 12 May 2013 - 10:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 13 May 2013 - 10:24 AM)
The Strictly Business one is more shiny. biggrin.gif

Yeah, you're right. Isn't that due to the lighting?

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 13 May 2013 - 10:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Probably.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Hannibal_Smith
Posted on 17 September 2013 - 08:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Like others, I liked this one. Yes, it's darker than your average Mac episode, but that's nothing new. It certainly isn't as dark as "The Challenge," which for my money was one of the best episodes of MacGyver. The series leaned on the optimistic/uplifting side of things, but it was never shy about pointing out that the reason people like Mac are needed is that the world has some really ugly corners.

(I'd point out too that Mac trusting someone and having it bite him in the ass isn't new, especially when women are involved. Neither is having one of his friends die, although it's usually not someone we know very well... again, as happened here).

The plot... in the same way LTOA was a callback to the "Mac as tomb raider" episodes, this was a callback to "Mac as spy," so in that sense it was taking the character right back to his Season 1 roots, even if he stumbled into this one accidentally instead of on a DXS job. With the villains revolving around WMD proliferation and Soviet agents going nuts from watching their system collapse around them, I'd say they did a good job of updating him for the nineties, too.

That moment when he nearly kills one of the terrorists... for my money, great MacGyver moment. I really didn't know how he was going to get out of that one. It was convincing, true to his ethics, and best of all, really pretty true. laugh.gif

Neither of the movies blew me away, there are plenty of episodes I'd rate higher... but this one especially, I still thought it was a success. I was sorry not to see anyone from the TV show, though.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted on 13 August 2015 - 10:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:

Got to this one last night, and out of the movies I definitely prefer it. I liked Alum Armstrong as the cop (although being a Brit I've seen him in oodles of other things)

Not to mention the bad guys drive a car like I have heheheh!

The darker side suits me more. I was never one for the Indiana Jones type episodes like Holy Rose, so I guess Atlantis was never going to work for me.

What was missing? Well, he didn't actually use many MacGyverisms or his knife much, but I can live with that.

The whole waking up in bed with Natalia was a bit of a weird scene, but didn't really bother me.

There are lots of episodes I like better, but this wasn't all in all a bad movie. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 13 August 2015 - 10:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Perhaps waking up with someone is better than alone? For once it'll be the guy who doesn't remember anything instead of the girl. biggrin.gif

I'd like this one of Atlantis too but than again Atlantis has more MacGyverisms. So they work both for me, a little cheesy ok but they're tv-movies, so what the heck? It's better than nothing.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 13 August 2015 - 12:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

There wasn't much of MacGyverisms, but maybe little more those Mac's cunning ways to "hide and seek" and i'll understand that in some scenes (in movie world) you really have to just runaway from bad guys than hide behind garbage bins and try to make in panic some homemade smoke bomb as diversion tongue.gif

I liked the story, and this was a second good longer MacGyver after my other favourite, Lost Love.

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 13 August 2015 - 09:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

Saw this when it was originally released back in the day but disliked it. The location was not what deterred me at all. The story just felt weak and the pace moved too slow. The plot was dull and the lack of ingenuity in making it refreshing was gone. IMO.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 13 August 2015 - 10:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

To be honest I don't like either of the movies. They both felt too far removed from the MacGyver universe for me, but this one was the one I like least. I came close to switching off several times.

It just bored me to near unconsciousness.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 14 August 2015 - 01:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I do have to admit back in the day when I didn't like this one London looked like a scary place. And Alan Armstrong like a scary man. And he's actually the good guy. Thank God, for The Mummy Returns and Van Helsing than. There was something about him that just didn't feel right, maybe his head. Now I discovered my dark side during the years, I kinda choose this over Atlantis, it just depends on how I feel or want to feel.

Oh for the record: do we actually know who Elise really is? tongue.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 14 August 2015 - 03:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

do you mean who the actor is?

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 14 August 2015 - 03:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Yeah.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 14 August 2015 - 04:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

That would be Lena Headey of Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles fame & Game of Thrones.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 14 August 2015 - 04:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams

Oh wow! I never made that connection. I will never look at Cersei the same way again now. lol

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
DXS
Posted on 1 October 2016 - 05:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Vitorinox

Favorites
Episode:Legend of the Holy Rose

I loved this one! Much better than the other movie. Except for the "started plane with SAK" thing. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL                                                                     
MacsMinx
Posted on 22 March 2018 - 07:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Pilot (intro v.o.), LTOA
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors
House:  Observatory

I thought this movie was fair, but still really fun. I remember watching it on Thanksgiving with some of my extended family when it first aired, but I only just saw it again recently.

I thought all of the twists and turns were good, but I also think the dialogue needed some fine-tuning. (I read on The MacGyver Project website that the scripts for both TV movies were done really quickly and maybe that was a major factor.)

Beatie Edney played the Mata Hari type really well. Barbara Lane did a great job with her costumes--Edney looks glamourous and polished in every scene, which was very fitting for her character.

QUOTE MDBFan 10 May 2013- 01:50 PM
Probably just me but I think Natalia looks a bit like Kate Winslet!

Watching this more recently, I noticed that Beatie Edney looks a lot like one of Hollywood's golden-age actresses, Joan Fontaine (Olivia de Havilland's sister). I see it most in that scene when she turns up alive in the castle basement, right before she shoots Frederic. Maybe they (Edney, de Havilland, Fontaine and Winslet) are all related!

I loved Plato! (He was the guy on the motorcycle near the end that helps Mac get to Carcroft Castle.) Even though he's a minor character, he seems like such a fun person that I smile every time I see him. smile.gif

I think I read somewhere that Lee David Zlotoff studied Classical Greece in college. If that's true, I wonder if all of the allusions to ancient Greece in the TV movies were an homage to his field of study....

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 23 March 2018 - 03:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I think it's awesome. I don't get why so many people get turned off when things takes a darker turn. MacGyver is alone, he can't afford to trust anyone and his in it way over his head. This is like his version of The Wolverine. Natalia was indeed very good and pretty but I never saw a Kate Winslet in her. I think Winslet is a more present appearance.

Plato was a nice minor character indeed which gave a little space to relax after those dark sewer scenes. Great dialect, use of words and speaking in rhymes. 'Us blokes got to stick together.'

I really doubt it though that the Greek history was an homage to Zlotoff since he didn't had anything to do with the show after the Pilot. He just received credit in every episode.

The movies were indeed shot back-to-back. Just a shame I think that only 2 of the 6 wanted tv-movies were made. But the two movies were done by RDA's suggestion of starting with two.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted on 23 March 2018 - 07:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle

I watched this back last May. I was surprised at how good this was. I wasn't crazy about Lost Treasure of Atlantis, but I liked this one.

The best scene for me was when MacGyver said, "You're theology sucks!" w00t.gif

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 23 March 2018 - 09:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

You mean logic.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted on 23 March 2018 - 05:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 23 March 2018 - 12:39 PM)
You mean logic.

Whoops! Well, it HAS been a while since I watched this.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll