What Would MacGyver Do?, Tell us about your MacGyverisms!
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Issus
Posted: 19 March 2008 - 09:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The escape
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Apartment

Hi everyone!
Found this forum while trying to discover how to make a clock work from two patatoes and after various tests, i concluded tjat im just not able to do it. So i tried a different thing: making a hot air balloon, like the one in "The escape" (1 season).
I'm using news paper, spellowtape (cause i dont have any ducktape), wire, your medikit alcohol, and cloth. However, as we all know, alcohol + paper + macht= fire. I need to fix that. Can anyone help???

In my oppinion, Graham Bell has a lot to answer for. It gets harder and harder to escape from the world, the news and worst of all, people.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 19 March 2008 - 10:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Back again. I haven't said a macgyverism, so here goes.
There was once a forest fire right next to where i lived. I had two options, either call the fireman, and get out of there, or call the fireman, and try to do something about it. I chose the second. So i arrived at the fire site, and thre was another 2 people trying to cool the the trees and wet the ground. Their hose wasn't long enough, so they were using buckets. I knew that the fireman would get there in 10 minutes, which we didnt have. So i rushed to the house, graved a couple of aluminium brooms, ducktape, and another hose. I took the broom of, keep the stick, which was hollow. I stuck one end of it into one hose, and the other end into the second hose. I used ducktape to secure the extension, so that it wouldn't break with the presure. The result, a hose that reached the flames.

Not sure this counts, but its the only one that has come to my mind.

In my oppinion, Graham Bell has a lot to answer for. It gets harder and harder to escape from the world, the news and worst of all, people.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted: 19 March 2008 - 01:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
House:  House boat

QUOTE (Issus)
make a clock work from two patatoes and after various tests, i concluded tjat im just not able to do it.
Using a potato as a battery does work...I wonder what went wrong with yours. May be something in the way you connected it to the clock? hmm.bmp

I'm using news paper, spellowtape (cause i dont have any ducktape), wire, your medikit alcohol, and cloth. However, as we all know, alcohol + paper + macht= fire. I need to fix that. Can anyone help???

We did something similar to this once, but we were using material lighter than newspaper so we didn't need much heat and could move the heat further away from the "balloon". Not sure if you can get the lift you need from the heavier newspaper while moving/reducing the heat source.

I stuck one end of it into one hose, and the other end into the second hose. I used ducktape to secure the extension, so that it wouldn't break with the presure. The result, a hose that reached the flames.

Not sure this counts, but its the only one that has come to my mind.

That counts. Good job and welcome to the forum. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 20 March 2008 - 03:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Thanks for the welcome.

As for what i did with the patatoe clock I used 2 patatoes, 3 cables and an alarm clock. I made sure the clock works using a battery. Next i placed one cable to the positive spring of the clock in the battery compartment. Did the same with negative spring. Next I placed the positive calble into 1 patatoe, the negative one into the other patatoe. I used a third cable (neutral) to link both patatoes.

As for the balloon, I think I may have come up with the solution. An aluminium box. It's not too heavy and i can put it right inside the balloon, although I still have to cope with the pores of the paper.
Just out of curiosity, what did you use to make your balloon?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted: 20 March 2008 - 01:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

QUOTE (Issus @ 20 March 2008 - 12:35 PM)
Just out of curiosity, what did you use to make your balloon?

We were just fooling about with some water-soluble wax sheets left over from something. It pretty much looked like a sheet of plastic until you got up close to it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 20 March 2008 - 01:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (Issus @ 20 March 2008 - 07:16 AM)
Hi everyone!
Found this forum while trying to discover how to make a clock work from two patatoes and after various tests, i concluded tjat im just not able to do it. So i tried a different thing: making a hot air balloon, like the one in "The escape" (1 season).

what about using Aluminum foil?

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 20 March 2008 - 02:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Aluminium? Instead of newspaper? Maybe, i could try... hmm.bmp
Thanks for the idea, it'll keep me doing something tomorrow! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 21 March 2008 - 07:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Ok, I finally remembered how to make sulfuric acid. All you need is the oxygened water from a medikit, sulphur and H2O. You had to mix the sulphur with water, then add the oxygened water. If you do it in reverse, it'll explode. This recepie makes sufuric acid up to 65%, so it's nasty.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 21 March 2008 - 04:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (IssNotSuchaGoodIdea)
There was once a forest fire right next to where i lived. I had two options, either call the fireman, and get out of there, or call the fireman, and try to do something about it. I chose the second.

Just a note -- speaking as someone who grew up in forest fire country. I hope you also called the firemen before you went out to try to put out the fire!

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
SAK
Posted: 22 March 2008 - 12:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Recruit, Hiker

Favorites
Episode:I haven't seen them all yet

Okay, so I'm not really sure if this counts, but here goes.

My "normal" shift at work is two third shifts, followed by three second shifts, with 8 hours in between the third and second shifts. We call that a roll-over shift, because you go home, get in the bed, roll over, get back up, and go back to work. My home is about an hour from my work, so that leaves me 6 hours of home-time. Factor in settle-down time and wake-up time, and I'd be doing well to get 3-4 hours sleep, if that. So I devised a plan. user posted image

All it took was four curtain rods, one piece of plywood, some scrap wire, 5 yards of fabric, a dozen binder clips, some velcro strips, some sticky-back velcro, and bedding.

Oh, and one car. user posted image

First, I hung the curtain rods on the grab handles inside my car, using the velcro. Then, I clipped the fabric to the rods, using the binder clips. For the back window, I applied the loop portion of the sticky-back velcro to the inside of my hatch, and the hook portion to the fabric. Easy up, easy down. My husband made a steering wheel shelf for the heater by cutting a slot into a piece of plywood, drilling holes on either side of the slot, and tying some scrap wire through the holes. I folded down the seats, put in the bedding, put up the sunshade, plugged the heater to the outbuilding in the parking lot (only necessary in winter, of course), and voila! A portable hotel room!

user posted image

('Scuse the mess; I neglected to make my bed for the picture. whistle.gif )

user posted image

It's quite cozy, and there's even enough room for me to change into my pajamas in there.

The result? I get between 6 and 7 hours of sleep during that roll-over period, and I save fuel by not having to make an extra trip back and forth! biggrin.gif

Now, I just have to figure out how to do this with my motorcycle. hmm.bmp

I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you. -MacGyver

PM                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 22 March 2008 - 10:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (MacBeth @ 22 March 2008 - 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (IssNotSuchaGoodIdea)
There was once a forest fire right next to where i lived. I had two options, either call the fireman, and get out of there, or call the fireman, and try to do something about it. I chose the second.

Just a note -- speaking as someone who grew up in forest fire country. I hope you also called the firemen before you went out to try to put out the fire!

I'm mad, and happy to be so. I find it I can always take things with a bit more humor if you're mad. Despite this, yes, i did call in the fireman, mainly because there is no way yo can put out a forest fire without some sort of high presure water pump, and theres the water itself. There is a small water current, but it's a kilometer away. I think it was, despite being a forest fire, one the most pleasant activities I've ever made. You know what they say: Where's the fun without a little bit of risk??
Plus, I got to have a nice chat with them fireman and a ride on their truck, helmet on and off I went. They do know how to party!

By the way, SAK, I like what you've done with the place. Just add a couple of posters and you've got a home made bedroom, in a car! For the motorbike, just bring a big tent.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SAK
Posted: 22 March 2008 - 08:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Recruit, Hiker

Favorites
Episode:I haven't seen them all yet

Posters! That's what is missing! Great idea! Anyone know where I can find some Mac posters?

And I do have a tent big enough for me and the motorbike. I don't know what my coworkers would say about me pitching in the parking lot, though. Then again, they probably talk about me while I sleep in my car.

Thanks, Issus!

I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you. -MacGyver

PM                                                                     
Agent MacGyver!
Posted: 26 March 2008 - 10:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Cease Fire
House:  Loft

I'm freshmen in college, and I've been lurking in the forum for about 2 years, but now I'm getting around to posting.

a nickname my friends in the dorms call me is Macgyver Jr. because I am always building something out of nothing, so I have a bit of a list.

it all started a few months ago, when I needed to charge my cell phone on the go, so I decieded to unscrew my Dynamo flashlight, which runs off cranking, and stripping my cell phone charger cord. I attached the cord to the rechargable lithium Ion battery, the voltages almost matched up perfectly, and now cranking the flashlight gives light OR charging my cell phone. it, however, needs like 30 minutes of cranking to charge one bar, but it's the principal of the thing, and my friends love it.

then, some prankster put a masterlock on my RA's locker, and he couldnt open it. he openly said he needed help, but me jobshadowing in a locksmith (and seeing a bunch of youtube videos) knew that cutting open a soda can, you can make a shiv that opens masterlocks. so one morning before everyone got up, I took a can out of the trash and within 3 minutes opened the lock. no one knows for sure if I did, because I dont want my powers used for evil.

also, I lost my Ipod case, so using duct tape and the plastic lining from a cigarrete case, I created my own case!...

...along with the classic handmade duct tape wallet I use

and just for fun, I take apart clothespins to make toothpick launchers, along with blowguns. (never had to use them though, its just a fun macgyverism.

my greatest feat yet, was when I dropped my xbox controller just before a crucial need for speed tournament. what happened was one of the trigger buttons was stuck on. thinking fast, I took apart the controller. I saw that the right trigger "H" bar, which controlled sensitivity was snapped and looked more like an "L". after about an hour of thinking, I figured it out! what I did was bent a paperclip into a small "Z" shape, which worked as well as the "H" but it was too skinning, so I cut open a cue tip which was the perfect width, and put it into place. it does not work as well as before, but I can adjust it if I need be. saved myself 30 $ and everyone is amazed.

those are just a few of my ventures over the past few months, and I'll be sure to post even more later! I hope you enjoyed them.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
The True MacGyver
Posted: 26 March 2008 - 11:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Episode:Pilot

A pal of mine had broken her folder. It was of the three ring variety, although with plastic snaps. She pulled one of the rings out too fast and it snapped in half, part of it inside the other. Knowing me as the MacGyver fan, she entrusted its repair to me. It didn't seem too hard to fix, although it stumped several others. I pulled out a paperclip and went to work. The underside had the tip of the stick just visible in a small, cylindrical chamber. The paperclip wasn't strong enough to push it out alone. So I rebent the clip and fashioned some tweezers. I held open the other end of the cylindrical ring as best I could and reached for my trusty compass (the kind for drawing perfect circles, not directions). I unfolded it and eyed the pointed end with a sense of MacGyver-like inventiveness. At this point she asked "Should I just throw it out? (She is an impatient person)" I flashed her a grin and shook my head. I turned back to work and inserted the point into the end with the visible tip. I cautiously slid it in, still holding the paperclip. Soon the plastic, jagged top of the snap appeared. I pinched it with my fingers and pulled it out. I held it to her as if I just pulled off the world's greatest magic trick. She smiled in awe and hugged me. I'm proud to say that I saved a binder from certain compaction. She now asks me everyday what I MacGyvered.

A Dude's a Dude All Over the World - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
The True MacGyver
Posted: 27 March 2008 - 03:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Episode:Pilot

Just pulled a more meager trick today. I was partaking in a friendly game of darts with my brother and cousin (three MacGyver fans, a video camera, the set of DVD's, and a WHOLE lotta time) of course discussing MacGyver. Well it was my turn and I tossed the plastic dart. The dartboard was resting on a workbench beneath a window. In other words, aim too high and you'd be buying a new pane. So I instinctively threw low, the ray of daylight illuminating the green flash of the dart. But the clang of metal told me that I had lost the dart to the labyrinth of paint cans beneath the bench. It is BLACK down there. You cannot see the wall a few feet back. No flashlight was around and trying to find one would take too long. I noticed an extra tin oven tray. It was slightly pliable. So I snatched it and strategically bent it to face the window and the underside. The light reflected and bounced into the cans, making the cans appear. I eyed the newfound illumination worked beautifully and I quickly retrieved the dart. I set down the pan to cries of "Awesome! Nice MacGyverism!"

A Dude's a Dude All Over the World - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 27 March 2008 - 05:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Love the lair, SAK!

When I was growing up, my family went on long car trips, and camped; but my father also rigged up our van (a Chevrolet Greenbriar) to be an ad-hoc motor home. He built a portable kitchen into the back, with a fold-out counter; rigged hanging bunks for himself and my mother; and built a table that fitted between the second and third seats, which were bench seats. The second seat could be unbolted, turned around, and bolted back in place the other way, turning the interior into a booth table. On really long trips, we could pull the van over and park, cook and eat dinner, and sleep.

He also built a 'car-top carrier' -- a wooden box with a hinged side that went on the roof. It had room for sleeping bags, tent, duffle bags, and other gear, and had a trough that held shovel, rake, broom, and anything else longitudinal that we might need.

The only thing he couldn't do was make the van wider so we could actually stretch out while sleeping. It was easy enough when we were little -- and my mother was never tall -- but I'm not sure how he managed himself. His own bunk must have been really cramped!

Well . . . he was a physicist, not an engineer.

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Issus
Posted: 5 April 2008 - 05:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I made an alluminium hot air ballon, I put a heat source under it, and it flew... a bit, but actually flew... Now I got to find a way to climb up the tree wher it's stuck... headbutt.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 5 April 2008 - 07:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages

Mythbusters made a lead balloon fly, using lead foil.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 12 April 2008 - 08:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

Today my laptop shut itself down again while I was working on it (the screen just goes dark and leaves me sitting stunned). A few weeks ago I had it for cleaning for this problem, because the ventilator was full with dust and could not suck in air anymore.

So I turned it and yes, there was already dust all over the wire covering the ventilator again. How to get it off, without it falling inside through the holes? I wetted some toilet paper (only slightly damp) and carefully put it onto the dust layer, and so it stuck to the paper, and the airway is free again, as you can see, otherwise I would not be able to post this biggrin.gif

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 12 April 2008 - 01:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

A good way to clean dust out of your computer is with a vacuum cleaner.

Just turn it on and hold the nozzle against the air vent so it sucks all the dust out.

This works on all variety's of computers.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 12 April 2008 - 03:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah, but where's the macgyverism in that? biggrin.gif

Of course, but I was too lazy to heave the heavy thing into the air and hold it up there for quite some time, since the laptop was laying at the table (yeah, I know, I could've put it onto the ground instead).

But what's with the motor? Somewhere in my laptop book it says not to have big magnetic fields around, isn't a vacuum motor a magnetic field? If it can clear video-tapes? Or is that only an urban legend?

My brother has one of those mini cleaners, that works with USB, but of course the computer has to be on for that.

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 2 June 2008 - 08:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

During my trip to Colorado the weekend before this, I ended up having to MacGyver my way out of a wardrobe malfunction -- a real one.

I had just tucked myself, my bag, and my laptop case into a seat on the shuttle bus to get from the Denver airport to Boulder, when I felt something give way -- and discovered that part of the hardware in my bra, a small plastic ring, had snapped. That's one thing Mac never had to worry about . . . And I had to deal with it, while still wearing it, without leaving my seat, in a very bouncy shuttle bus. unsure.gif

I spent a moment staring at my luggage, trying to think through what I had on hand, and then fished out an elastic hair tie -- and my SAK, which I had dug out of the checked bag as soon as I was reunited with it. I used the screwdriver blade to poke the hair elastic through the loops where the plastic ring had been, and then tied the thing together. My dignity suffered slightly, but my modesty remained more or less intact.

Five minutes later, I had to repeat the process when the plastic ring on the other side broke in exactly the same way. Maybe Victorinox would consider making bras . . . they'd last longer!

I remember that I had been rolling my eyes at myself for taking the time to get my SAK out of my luggage right away and have it easily available -- I won't be so hard on myself next time!
sak.gif

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Lee Nole-Isil
Posted: 3 June 2008 - 10:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Victorinox

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Anything with Murdoc

*Salutes* You are most clever. Excellent job! I probably would've just hugged a piece of luggage over my chest til I got to the car...

"The common cockroach. And that's what you are!" -Peter Thornton
"Are you calling me common, Pete?" -Murdoc

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted: 3 June 2008 - 02:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

Here's a stunt I pulled at work recently.

I work security at a shipping company distribution hub. Part of our job is to put what are called kingpin locks on incoming trailers during non-sort hours, to mark newly arrived loaded trailers. They have flags on them that hang down well beneath the trailers so you can tell at a glance whether the trailer is full. These locks are big and heavy... and they're usually covered in axle grease (ick!) so we wear latex gloves while we're handling them. (Axle grease is a nightmare to get off your skin, not to mention out of your clothes!) We keep a couple dispensers of gloves in the guard shack.

Last week, I was about to go out and put a lock on a newly arrived trailer, when I realized that I had just used the last of the gloves. That meant I had to go inside and find where they keep the gloves (the dispensers of gloves come about twenty or so to a box). Not a problem. What WAS a problem was that when I found the box of gloves, it was on a shelf well above my head... and there wasn't a ladder to be seen. (I stand about 5 feet, 3 inches tall, and this shelf was probably 7 to 8 feet off the ground. The hazards of being short... dry.gif ...)

I was nearly stymied, but then I saw a shovel nearby. (It gets used mostly in the winter, to spread salt on the truck lot.) It looked long enough to reach the box of gloves up on the shelf. I used the business end of the shovel to nudge the box off the shelf. The box broke open on the floor, and I was in business. I picked up a couple dispensers of gloves, stacked the rest on a *low* shelf, and off I went!

Unfortunately, no one was around to witness my brainstorm!

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 3 June 2008 - 04:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Lee)
I probably would've just hugged a piece of luggage over my chest til I got to the car...

My car was a thousand miles away, and the shuttle bus ride was going to be an hour! It would have been a very long hug with a very unresponsive and lumpy object.

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

SHEILA
  Posted: 3 June 2008 - 11:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Second Loft

I had a macgyverism last night a work.I was opening a can of root beer and the tab broke off.I do not owen a SAK yet.So I looked a around on my desk to see what I could use to open the rootbeer can with.I keep a P38 can opener on my name badge and I used it.I do highly recommand that eveyone should have one on there key ring.You can get them at any army/navy store.That's just in case you are without you SAK.

Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
laarell4241
Posted: 23 June 2008 - 11:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Golden Triangle

A couple of weeks ago I opened my hiking season again after a year and a half break, only these days I have a wee pest riding on my back while I'm hiking. Last weekend we were going out to a hike in Virginia and it was going to be a hot day. I was bringing a bottle of milk, but I had to keep it chilled somehow while I was out. Well, I didn't have one of those fancy bottle chillers, besides, weight is an issue when you are already lugging 20 pounds on your back, but I did have a couple of those gel-ice packs in the freezer and duct tape. I taped the ice packs around the bottle, stuck all that into a ziploc bag and went. The milk stayed perfectly cold and was enjoyed greatly in the end of the hike by my son. duct.gif

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Astra
Posted: 23 June 2008 - 12:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

Nice idea!

When I was a kid it usually was the other way round, though. My parents had to find a way to make the milk warm...

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 23 June 2008 - 04:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

When I went out to Colorado for the wedding last month, I ended up re-using a MacGyverism that I picked up so long ago I don't even think about it any more. It's handy, though.

At one point, someone was trying to open a bottle of beer, and there was no bottle opener to be found. Way back when I was in grad school, a friend of mine taught me to use an ordinary house key to remove beer caps -- basically, you carefully use the teeth of the key to loosen the crimped metal, working your way around until the cap is loose enough to remove manually. With a little practice, it's not difficult and doesn't harm the key. And it makes you look amazingly facile to your friends.

The joke under this is that the old slang term for a bottle opener is a "churchkeys" -- and the guy who taught me this trick went into a Catholic seminary. So I had a future priest teach me how any key can be a churchkey.

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

laarell4241
Posted: 24 June 2008 - 07:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Golden Triangle

This is kind of an ongoing MacGyverism for me, I'll keep using this trick I came up with most likely for the rest of the summer. The horse rescue that I volunteer at has recently moved to a new, MUCH larger (and much needed) location and I got talked into painting a mural on the office building. There are six panels that I came up with pictures for and I already finished three, so this is moving along nicely. It wouldn't be going anywhere without this image transfer trick. Now many have heard or played with enlarging pictures by using a grid. You draw a grid on the original image, then draw a big grid and draw in each square the little piece of picture that fits into it. Well, drawing a grid on a not very even cinder block wall wasn't going to work, besides, I would have to then cover the grid lines up with paint and keeping them straight over 5x5 feet of wall space wasn't going to happen, at least not easily. So here I was with my first panel printed out of Photoshop on a piece of paper and my work bucket. I did happen to have duct tape and a nice fat spool of sewing thread. So I came up with this idea. I marked just the grid spacing on the four sides of each panel and attached sewing thread with small pieces of duct tape at those points to create the grid. I then easily drew in the image with a permanent marker and was done before I knew it. Removing the grid took a total of like 10 seconds, I just ripped it off and threw it all away. I was left with a perfectly clean wall with just my picture on it. As I worked on my first panel, I found out just how useful making a removable grid turned out to be. Darned exterior paint is somewhat transparent (the light colors in particular) and I actually ended up needing to attach a sander to my drill and buff the little marks off the wall before painting the edges. They kept showing through. If I actually spent the time drawing in the grid and making sure it was even and everything, I would be in big trouble as I don't know how many coats of paint it would've taken to completely cover that up.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (9) « First ... 3 4 5 6 ... Last » Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll