SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Episode 132 - Good Knight MacGyver

Part 1 While tracing his family tree, MacGyver is knocked unconscious and transported back to the court of King Arthur, where he is asked to free a princess from the clutches of a tyrannical queen.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 9 March 2007 - 04:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

I was tempted to give this episode a higher rating, but I'm a little torn on this one. I'm always entertained by it when I watch it, but then the snobby, history-loving side of me wishes that they had made the sets and the costumes a little more authentic. Still, a great Mac adventure. It's all right. smile.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 9 March 2007 - 11:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I voted excellent. If there was any higher ranking I would've voted for that! I just looooooove this episode. I have to agree on MacsChick comment though, the costumes and set (with this I mean the royal tent) were cheesy. Did you take a good look at the wigs and fake moustaches and beards???

But apart from that this ep is one of my alltime favs. Mac is my knight in shining armour, even though it's not even shiny w00t.gif
I like the interaction between Merlin and MacGyver; Merlin being jealous as hell and all. biggrin.gif

What exactly does Merlin say to get rid of the dog? Something like "Dada demon dog???"

Anyway I think the way Mac finds out he shares the same name as Ian's son is very cool. Okay, the nitpicks among us probably have seen the irregular writing, but still it's very cool.
And also the way he creates hydrogen gas to get that water bottle up.

This may sound sarcastic, but my fav part is when Morgana shoots him. At that exact same moment the labratory blows up and Mac dies with his back against the castle door with all the debris flying past (do you spell it debris?)
I've never seen anybody die in a more beautiful way. It actually brought tears to my eyes. (I have the best excuse for this: I'm a woman harhar.gif )

MacGyver
Posted on 9 March 2007 - 11:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory

Hmm...does this technically cover just Part 1 of "Good Knight, MacGyver" or both Part 1 and Part 2?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, this two part episode definitely rates an excellent for me. This is another one that I very clearly remember watching as a kid. Waiting to see the conclusion of this exciting episode literally left me hanging! wink.gif

This was a cool episode delving into MacGyver's family history with his name and all. And Dana Elcar's last big great acting job on the series until the finale.
Another dream episode- but doing a play on Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" was a perfect fit for MacGyver! And there were plenty of great MacGyverisms in this episode. It was fun watching MacGyver do the joust with a his cowboy roping. And then putting together his own fire extinguisher.
And Merlin was really hilarious throughout the whole thing. And to have a pretty much literal cliff-hanging ending with MacGyver and Merlin about to fall into a fiery pit and holding onto that wood that was starting to break apart! That was intense!

This is probably one of the best episodes of the 7th. season. It's definitely a favorite for me. smile.gif sak.gif duct.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 9 March 2007 - 11:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

this is part 1 only

part 2 next week

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 10 March 2007 - 12:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 10 March 2007 - 08:00 PM)
this is part 1 only

part 2 next week

Oh..... erm sorry... I just gave my meaning on both parts unsure.gif wacko.gif

I got carried away since I like this eppy so much....

MacGyverGod
Posted on 10 March 2007 - 01:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Excellent of course!!!! This was also one of the episodes I have watched A LOT during my childhood years!!!
Unfortunately when this was taped in the early 90's on the VHS, we missed the first scene with Malcolm. That scene is still a mystery to me on this date. I never saw that one. But I have slight guess, what it was all about. biggrin.gif
OK, so the writing was full of plotholes. As we discussed before, if he did travel through time, why didn't he think of way to get back? But who cares, this was just one 150 % MacGyver adventure.
The whole setting was great but um... doesn't Arthur live in castle? Or maybe was it mentioned in the first scene?
What I liked was that MacGyver was always on to Merlin's tricks, like with the rope. And gets them back by using a match to create fire.
Also the SAK is used a lot: to put the rope to sleep, to escape out of the lavapit, the make the whistle and to cut up Merlin's robe.
Anyway the action was great and of course like everything the lavapit which was maybe even better than the cliffhanger of The Legend of the Holy Rose.
Duncan was so cool, and his death even more cool and when his skeleton comes floating above the lava and sinks away forever. Hey that was Christopher Neame! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif
By the way Merlin = Peugeot.
But the lavapit scene was I think one of the most intense scenes ever. Merlin was getting scared, MacGyver's breathing got heavier, he had to think fast and the board he was holding was starting to crack.

This may sound sarcastic, but my fav part is when Morgana shoots him. At that exact same moment the labratory blows up and Mac dies with his back against the castle door with all the debris flying past (do you spell it debris?)
I've never seen anybody die in a more beautiful way. It actually brought tears to my eyes.

That's one of the most dramatic parts of the episode and the best one too. The empty look on his face and the tragic music.

What exactly does Merlin say to get rid of the dog? Something like "Dada demon dog???"

I think he says about the same thing he said when he first used it in Arthur's Court.

I like the interaction between Merlin and MacGyver; Merlin being jealous as hell and all.

He's just got to admit MacGyver's a better magician than he is.

But apart from that this ep is one of my alltime favs. Mac is my knight in shining armour, even though it's not even shiny

That was actually a quite cool suite.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 10 March 2007 - 03:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I love the part (sorry Rock, this actually is also in part II) in which Merlin crawls over Mac and Mac shouts all muffled by Merlin and his robe:

"Man, you could use a deodorant!"

Mac
Posted on 10 March 2007 - 11:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

How do they come up these ideas?! I mean, a Minnesotan in King Arthur's Court? Were the writers all on crack that day?! How could anyone have thought that this would be a Good Idea? Didn't anyone stop to think that, hey, this might be the stupidest idea in the universe and really pushing the boundaries of what was done with the western episodes?! hmm.bmp

I'm glad that the answer to those questions is 'No' because GKM is just so much fun!!! roller.gif

We have to remember that the whole ep is a product of Mac's head injury, so I bet that the way we see the court is how Mac imagines it would have been. Remember, he's a scientist, not a historian. I'm not saying scientists can't be historians (raises hands), but Mac has demonstrated only general historical knowledge in past eps.

Setting aside, this is a classic MacGyver--plenty of adventure, clever MacGyverisms, Mac risking his neck to aid someone he hardly knows... It's cheesy, clichéd, funny, tender, and shocking. I mean, Mac dies at the end!!! Not exactly the ending one would expect for such a campy episode.

This was one of only a few eps I had access to for years, so I've watched it a kazillion times and it's only recently that I figured out what the eggs and charcoal were supposed to do to Arthur (well, I did have an idea of what the charcoal was for, but the eggs took me longer).

My only nitpick with this ep is at the end, when the paramedic (Merlin) helps MacGyver up. Okay, first aid has probably changed a heck of a lot in 20 years, but with a bonk like that, there's no way one of my patients would be getting up. Oh, no, he'd be on the way to the hospital.

Poor Colm Meany--despite everything else he's done, no matter how much Star Trek I watch, he'll always be the silly little genealogist from GKM.

When I got my season 7 DVDs, I figured I'd seen this ep enough in the past fifteen years and would have no interest to see it again for sometime. Yet, it still wound up being the very first season 7 ep I saw on DVD! laugh.gif

Mac

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 10 March 2007 - 05:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

Season 7 is not my favorite - I think when they went back to Los Angeles, certain elements went back to the old and tired. The overused locations, sets, actors. However, despite the hokey costumes, and acting... I do love Dana's participation - he had to memorize everything - without being able to first read it, and it just shows what a professional he truly was. Also, I love Mac in that costume.

Funny how in the Stargate SG-1 episode "Torment of Tantalus", Jack comes up with the "Ben Franklin thing" with using lightning as a power source for the gate - and how they had to rig a kite out the castle window to the diver's helmet to attract the lightning. Hummmm... I wonder how they came up with that idea!

The thought behind the episode - if certain scientific discoveries were made either earlier or later... how would that have changed history - takes us into the whole Alternate Universe idea. If Morgana was able to conquer Britain - how would things be different? (OK, OK... Morgana was ficticious... but was she? Like Mac said in Ghost Ship, "...Legend has to start somewhere...") Something to think about.

Alternate Universes are fun, but give me a headache. doh.gif jeep.gif

That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 12 March 2007 - 12:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Well I watched part 1 of this last night and found it an entertaining little diversion.

one thing that occurred to me was that Christopher Neame seemed to have more lines in this episode than his other episodes put together.

I also noticed a bit of a nitpic too...

When Merlin is making the rope "come to life". We see him waving his hand over it.. and then the rope raises towards his hand... but his hand remains in the same position.

Then we see the rope being suspended from his finger via "invisible" thread. If this was actually correct... he would have had to raise his hand in order to make the rope rise, instead of holding it still and having the rope move towards his hand,as he did.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 12 March 2007 - 12:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Well I watched part 1 of this last night and found it an entertaining little diversion.

Of course!!

one thing that occurred to me was that Christopher Neame seemed to have more lines in this episode than his other episodes put together.

hmm.bmp Maybe. But he was the lead and only villain in Deathlock and in both parts of The Legend of the Holy Rose. I think he had more to say in Legend of the Holy Rose. However he is in almost every scene of the first part of Good Knight MacGyver. But he has more cool lines.
'Death to sorcerer! Sire, let me be the one to spill his vile blood!'
'If you fail... Mac'Iver!'
'He admitted his guilt!'
'The evidence is monstreous!'
'I fear no man!'
'I'm tired of your ravings!'

When Merlin is making the rope "come to life". We see him waving his hand over it.. and then the rope raises towards his hand... but his hand remains in the same position.

Then we see the rope being suspended from his finger via "invisible" thread. If this was actually correct... he would have had to raise his hand in order to make the rope rise, instead of holding it still and having the rope move towards his hand,as he did.

Confusing. How this invisible thread get there? Only one way I can figure, wrapping it around his finger quickly before revealing it from his robe. Or it was a tiny lasso.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 12 March 2007 - 01:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyverGod[/b)
Confusing. How this invisible thread get there? Only one way I can figure, wrapping it around his finger quickly before revealing it from his robe. Or it was a tiny lasso.

Well getting it there isn't the problem.

The problem is how did the rope raise apparently without the threads assistance.

I guess you could put it down to showmanship on Merlin's part.. I guess having the rope move in time with your hand might arouse suspicion, although back in those day I would doubt it.

Its interesting how to two rather different things both originated from the same source (chemistry and what we now call illusion or stage magic)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 12 March 2007 - 01:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

He must have wrapped it around his finger, but if it was too thight his finger would've turned blue. So the way I see it, the 'invisible' thread was already strung to the rope with one end, the other end was tied to itself so you would have a lasso. While Merlin gets inside his robe, he slides his finger through the thread and does his trick. With MacGyver being on to him.
But they were knights, simple minded. Their minds can't match up MacGyver's mind.
I wonder what MacGyver would've done if Gandalf or Saruman were there. happy.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 12 March 2007 - 02:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

ok...

now back to my question.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 13 March 2007 - 04:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

I've seen the trick and done it myself... (stage magic was a hobby of mine as a kid). I believe a little of Merlin's trick was performed by other means than a string, to make it look good to the audience (us, that is, viewing from TV). But I have seen magicians carry off that trick most convincingly.

The string is looped over the finger and pulled down by the other hand, or even a foot. Under the cape, the foot comes down, pulls the string and the rope 'appears' to rise. By controlling the angle of view, a magician can appear to not be moving while doing this.

sorcerer.gif It's all done with smoke and mirrors! biggrin.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 13 March 2007 - 05:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Magic's confusing. huh.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 13 March 2007 - 09:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 14 March 2007 - 12:46 AM)
The string is looped over the finger and pulled down by the other hand, or even a foot. Under the cape, the foot comes down, pulls the string and the rope 'appears' to rise. By controlling the angle of view, a magician can appear to not be moving while doing this.

OOOOOHHHH AAHHHHHHHH! clapping.gif Do it again Loth!! laugh.gif

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 13 March 2007 - 12:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah I know how the rope trick is suppose to be done... and I know about using invisible thread.. in fact its currently being brought back by new street magicians such as Criss Angel, along with street levitation acts, where people are levitated while surrounded by spectators..... but I digress.

My point is this....

The way Merlin was waving his hand around over the rope.. doesn't mesh up with the method we see him using in the following shots.

I guess this is really a nit-pick from a magic geek perspective.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Kate Mackay
Posted on 13 March 2007 - 03:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Camper Red

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker

I have to agree with Sheepy about getting shot. But everytime I see this episode and it gets to that part when he gets shot, I am thinking how he would HAVE to get shot on the top right side of his head, since when he fell down at the beginning , he landed on the top right side of his head and there would be the wound .

And it is one of my all time favs , too. I just love to watch this episode. If I was on a deserted island, with nothing else but this episode, sure I would go nuts . But good nuts , for loving it so much . ( Or maybe , I already am . hahahaha . Just kidding , folks. nothing to worry about. hahaha. ) . I would love to have nothing better to do than to sit and watch this , over and over. It is a great episode.

Sincerely,
Katey Mackay

PMEmail PosterYahooMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 13 March 2007 - 03:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Left... its the left side of his head.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Kate Mackay
Posted on 13 March 2007 - 05:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites
Episode:

Are you sure about that ? Because , originally I started to type in that it was the left side but then I kinda visualized it in my head, and I figured out that it was the right side. That is why I wrote it as the right side. So let me ask again, are you sure about that ? Meanwhile I will also check again to see .
Sincerely,
Katey Mackay

PMEmail PosterYahooMSN                                                                     
Kate Mackay
Posted on 13 March 2007 - 05:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites
Episode:

Also I gotta add that I agree about Merlin . He was hysterically funny the whole time. Perhaps he was meant to be the comic relief through all of that business of MacGyver trying to find out what his first name was, etc.
And I was about to mention what I see Sheepy has already beaten me to the punch. About that I love that part that Merlin is crawling over MacGyver and MacGyver could be heard to exclaim " Man , you could use a deodorant ! " But that was good that he said that , because it teaches the kids that there was a time that people did not take baths and showers . Because after viewing this episode the last time that I did, I went to do the research and found out that people did NOT shower and stuff back in the days. But at the same time, I think it is so funny how MacGyver ( or even , Richard ) said that. I laugh everytime I see that part. Man, oh man ! This is really one of my favorites.
Sincerely,
Katey Mackay

PMEmail PosterYahooMSN                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 14 March 2007 - 04:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

Yeah, before the discovery of germs--and because heating a tubful of water over a fire to just for bathing once a day was a huge effort (and considered a waste of time) -- people believed that bathing too often weakened a person's health. And then when they did draw the bath, everyone in the family would bathe with the same water, from eldest to youngest... hence the saying 'don't throw the baby out with the bath water'! ohmy.gif

This educational moment brought to you by the Lothithil International Board of Know-it-alls. biggrin.gif

Oh, and I challenge anyone who has fallen through a trapdoor and hung over a pit of boiling rock NOT to work up a sweat! I'll bet there's not deodorant company who'll put THAT on their market testing!! laugh.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 14 March 2007 - 05:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Kate Mackay @ 14 March 2007 - 02:16 AM)
Are you sure about that ? Because , originally I started to type in that it was the left side but then I kinda visualized it in my head, and I figured out that it was the right side. That is why I wrote it as the right side. So let me ask again, are you sure about that ? Meanwhile I will also check again to see .
Sincerely,
Katey Mackay

Our right is his left.
If you stand in front of me, your left is my right.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 14 March 2007 - 08:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Our right is his left.

Just to make confusing things just a little more confusing LOL harhar.gif

About the wound being on whatever side of the head; the wound doesn't necessarily have to be caused by falling onto the ground, I always thought it was inflicted by the big flower thingy that fell from the balcony.

Aaah whatever, really love this episode!! YAY jump.gif
*G*

MacGyverGod
Posted on 14 March 2007 - 09:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Sheepy @ 14 March 2007 - 05:49 PM)
Our right is his left.

Just to make confusing things just a little more confusing LOL harhar.gif

About the wound being on whatever side of the head; the wound doesn't necessarily have to be caused by falling onto the ground, I always thought it was inflicted by the big flower thingy that fell from the balcony.

Aaah whatever, really love this episode!! YAY jump.gif
*G*

I'm affraid it's from falling to the floor because the flowers ended upon his head.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 14 March 2007 - 10:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I'm affraid it's from falling to the floor because the flowers ended upon his head.

I thought it was just an error (for us nitpicks to nitpick on), but okay, I'll follow with the falling-on-the-ground-theory. laugh.gif

Astra
Posted on 14 March 2007 - 11:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 14 March 2007 - 01:39 PM)
And then when they did draw the bath, everyone in the family would bathe with the same water, from eldest to youngest... hence the saying 'don't throw the baby out with the bath water'! ohmy.gif

I actually always thought it was the other way round (at least it was done so in my family): First were the little children, since they wouldn't need that much water at all (and also didn't make it dirty much) and with every other one following another bucket of hot water was added.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 14 March 2007 - 11:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 15 March 2007 - 01:53 AM)
Our right is his left.

*holds up a mirror*

Now say that again. smile.gif

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll