Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 56 - Early Retirement

MacGyver’s boss, Pete Thornton, takes full responsibility for a deadly explosion and retires from the Phoenix Foundation. But MacGyver thinks the man who replaced Pete is responsible for setting the explosion.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 9 November 2006 - 03:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

votes from March 2006

Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 1 ] [12.50%]
Good [ 3 ] [37.50%]
Excellent [ 4 ] [50.00%]
Total Votes: 8

Archived comments

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 19 2005 @ 04:08 AM)
Had a difficulty there with choosing between good and excellent. Choose good. This is another great third seasoned episode. Pete showed some good fighting skills for an old guy. And I loved MacGyver's quick reaction when the warhead exploded.

Interesting note: This is the only episode out of 139 that featured Pete's appartment. Maybe they should've showed it more often.

Besides that I always had this creepy feeling that Pete and Nikki lived in the same building. His appartment looks like Nikki's appartment. 

QUOTE (MacNymph Sep 19 2005 @ 06:31 AM)
Liked seeing Mac and Pete on the ice. happy.gif

Didn't like seeing Pete on his butt on the ice. huh.gif

Like the fact that Pete takes his work so seriously that any failure he considers a personal failure. sad.gif

Didn't like the wallowing in self pity and turning a blind eye to Webber tearing down all his hard work. mad.gif

Didn't like Nikki treating MacGyver with suspicion when any other time he's the go to man. mad.gif The writers sure did make it easy not to like her. She totally came off as not a team player in the first scene at investigate of the explosion. 

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 19 2005 @ 09:13 AM )
How would you be like if the man you love is accused even though he's not innocent? She protected Webber because she didn't see the big picture. Guess you would do the same. 

QUOTE (MacNymph Sep 19 2005 @ 05:23 PM )
I'm talking about when Mac goes to the scene to do some independent poking around for Pete. This is before she even knows that Mac suspects Webber. She also tried to dismiss him as "just freelance". mad.gif

QUOTE (Amy Sep 20 2005 @ 05:28 AM )
I think maybe too she felt like he was infringing on her territory, like his presence said she couldn't do her job or something. That freelance comment was pretty loaded! blowup.gif

I think this was a great episode! Pete really shows his stuff! 

QUOTE (MacGyver Sep 20 2005 @ 08:55 AM )
Besides that I always had this creepy feeling that Pete and Nikki lived in the same building. His appartment looks like Nikki's appartment.

That's called tight budget and reusing sets. smile.gif

But I think "Early Retirement" was a great episode, as usual. This episode was something different, in that Pete takes full blame for an accident at work and actually leaves the Phoenix Foundation. Nikki adds more tension for MacGyver, as he finds out that Pete was set up and Nikki is cozying up to Webber, which MacGyver doesn't like. (with good reason, as we find out later on.)
And while MacGyver still had his usual good MacGyverisms going on (like when he and Nikki took out the bad guys holding the hostage at the end), it was cool to see Pete get it on and take down the main bad guy. And of course, he went back to karate school to bone up on his fighting skills, so that's cool too. And it's always fun to see MacGyver and Pete playing ice hockey. duct.gif sak.gif

QUOTE (MacNymph Sep 20 2005 @ 12:22 PM )
QUOTE (MacGyver @ Sep 20 2005, 08:55 AM)
And of course, he went back to karate school to bone up on his fighting skills, so that's cool too. 

happy.gif Yeah that was funny. Pete takes attack stance and says "HIIII!"

Mac kinda laughs and waves and says "Hi"

laugh.gif

QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 20 2005 @ 04:00 PM )
Interesting ep! I don't remember seeing it before, either. Pete took responsibility for what went wrong, even though it turned out he was totally blameless. Oh, yeah, and it was a ball to see him taking on the bad guys like that! For an old guy, he does pretty well! biggrin.gif Nikki, I think, got blinded by the fact that she was dating Webber. Understandable, but she should have known better... she's too smart for that. Not one of her finer moments! dry.gif And Mac... well, what can I say? Our guy listened to his gut instinct (one of his real strengths!) and figured out what was really going on.
clapping.gif word1.png

Oh, yeah, and the hockey scene cracked me up! laugh.gif 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 31 July 2008 - 02:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
House:  ---

Watch the scene with Pete and MacGyver playing hockey. When they are standing talking, you can see steam rising off Pete's bald head. laugh.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Thornton
Posted on 4 October 2008 - 01:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Ghost Ship

Excellent episode. I like most episodes where Pete is in a bigger role.

It's interesting that Pete says in this episode that he's starting karate classes and in The Odd Triple he kicks one of the villains.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 25 April 2009 - 10:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

i loved the last part of this ep where Pete puts on a Martal arts outfit and does a little pose in front of MacGyver.

Hannibal_Smith
Posted on 25 February 2011 - 01:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Completely unintentionally (even though I knew that one was based on the other), I happened to watch this episode and Stargate SG-1's "Chain Reaction" back to back the other day. Same story: Thornton/Hammond gets framed/blackmailed into retiring by rogue DXS/NID agents, and MacGyver/Jack O'Neill helps him get his job back.

Each is a terrific episode. Develops RDA's character's boss a little more, as well as the relationship between the two of them, and really shows the lengths RDA will go to for the sake of friendship.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 31 October 2012 - 04:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Jacket:  Black leather

I really *love* this episode!

There are some nice character development here, on Pete's part, and we once more get proof of what an excellent actor Dana Elcar was. Watching episodes like this one, it really, really saddens me that he's gone. He added so much to MacGyver.

Watching the disarming process of the warheads was very interesting. I have no idea if this is really the way it's done in reality, but within the show, it sure worked for me. I understand the horror and frustration Pete must have felt when the procedure failed...

It was very entertaining to see Mac and Pete playing hockey. I'm no hockey fan, but watching MacGyver/RDA on the ice is always a delight, since it's so obvious this is his element. Hehe, but Pete was doing his very best too, this time around. You can tell that RDA probably had been pretty hard on Dana Elcar for real, since his head was literally steaming. laugh.gif

And that goalie mask... hehehe, it was pretty awesome. wink.gif

In this episode, Nikki's character once again feels different. I do prefer this Nikki over the flimsy, girlish Nikki... but yet, she just doesn't... convince me. Maybe it's just because of her inconsistent behavior. OK, continuity isn't one of the MacGyver series top qualities, but come on, a few episodes back she had no clue about how to troubleshoot a car battery, and now she's suddenly in charge of a highly technical investigation...

Anyway--it's great to see that Pete might look like a stuck-behind-the-desktop guy, but he does know how to defend himself in a fight! And you gotta *love* the ending too.

So, this is definitely an "Excellent" for me.

(...hi. biggrin.gif)

PM                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 13 December 2012 - 08:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I really liked this episode and voted Excellent! There were several points where I laughed out loud, particularly the ending where Mac giggled, waved, and said "Hi" back to Pete's Karate yell. roller.gif I also cracked up when Pet told Mac what his password was for the agenda file..."Agenda". Mac/RDA's expression was priceless!! laugh.gif

I was not as concerned with Nikki's behavoir as some of the others mentioned here. I liked the variation. It showed more of the difference between how she and Mac think. Plus I agree she was partially blinded of Webber's behavoir. She also had not been at the Foundation nearly as long as Mac, so perhaps she did not notice all of Webber's changes to personnel and agendas that were so outlandish.

The relationship between Pete and Mac was really accentuated in this episode in my opinion. You could really see Mac's concern for Pete that was very realistic and touching. Both men were hurting inside after the "accident". Pete because of his 'mistake' that cost the lives. Mac also for the same reason, but the added hurt that Mac felt (and they portrayed well) for Pete. Not just the fact that he was going to miss him at work, but also for Pete as his friend and how he was taking the accident as his own fault. Really great acting by both Dana Elcar and RDA!! happy_dance.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 17 February 2013 - 05:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I do like this episode. Espeically the ice-rink part with Mac and Pete playing hockey. XD This is on of those episodes that made me not like Nikki all that much though. But... that's just me. lol

O_o You know what's odd? I think the version I have on Netflix is different. I just watched this episode and there's no part with Pete in a karate outfit or anything. It just ends with Nikki taking that tribal head out of Pete's office and cuts to credits.

*sadface*

Edit: I checked out Hulu and it's on there, so it seems Netflix shows the edited version of the show, which makes me wonder what other parts I might have missed. ohmy.gif

What an excuse to go buy the DVD set. XD

This post has been edited by Jediferret on 17 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 17 February 2013 - 08:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I know what you mean about the editing Jedi. The TV versions I was watching recently edited parts out and they shocked me when folks mentioned things here on the forum that I had not seen. I got the full series DVD set for Christmas and am enjoying working my way through the episodes again seeing what scenes they left out. blink.gif

It is a great reason for you to get your DVD set!! tongue.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 19 September 2014 - 12:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

Somehow this episode filming style felt little different than before and those camera angles.

Also this felt different because usually we see only interior from Pete's office and then those main characters only have dialogues, but we saw Pete walking in hallway and talking with those other foundation workers who had also dialogues and also they had meeting conference in office, so it kind of gave new "perspective" that there are also other peoples in that foundation than just Pete in the office, you know smile.gif

Thumbs up for that!

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted on 3 May 2017 - 05:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

QUOTE (NightTinkerer @ 31 October 2012 - 04:59 PM)
It was very entertaining to see Mac and Pete playing hockey. I'm no hockey fan, but watching MacGyver/RDA on the ice is always a delight, since it's so obvious this is his element.

I'm a casual hockey fan and think Mac is super sexy when he's skating. I do wish he would have worn a helmet, though. He looked awesome without and I know he was only playing with Pete, but accidents do happen, especially with Mac who seems to get knocked out quite often, and it would also be good for the kids watching to show Mac respects safety equipment. This may be the only hockey scene that he doesn't where a helmet and I understand that back then we weren't so hyper aware of head injuries.

As for Nikki, I defended her character in Blow Out, but did not like her at all in this episode. She seemed totally different and there wasn't much, if any, back story on her. What I really disliked was that, to me, she acted like Mac's superior instead of his colleague. She was cold, and bossy. Yuck.

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macgybl
Posted on 16 October 2020 - 05:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:The Survivors

I always thought it was funny in the beginning when Pete was schooling the Air Force brass on what disarming a missle means . Hahahahahaha

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 16 October 2020 - 07:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (macgybl @ 17 October 2020 - 01:19 PM)
I always thought it was funny in the beginning when Pete was schooling the Air Force brass on what disarming a missle means . Hahahahahaha

Why? The Pheonix Foundation were the ones who figured out how to do for the military so why wouldn't he be talking them through the process and giving more explanation than what they would have seen in reports?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll