Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Since the latest rumor is that the movie will be an origins story, showing how Mac became the guy we all know, how would people feel if RDA was hired just to bookend the film? For example, he could have a brief adventure at the start of the film, and then the majority of the movie would be a flashback starring a younger guy, and then RDA returns at the end to finish the narrative. Could that work, or would it seem to hokey?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 1 September 2011 - 12:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Where did you hear that rumor? I haven't heard that one.

It sounds like a stupid idea actually because we know from flashbacks and back-stories that MacGyver has been the way he is since he was a child, so basically he was born that way.

TO answer your question though, I think having RDA "book-end the movie would be a good compromise. Everyone wants to see RDA as MacGyver, but we know he's had health problems which would probably impact his ability to do the physical stuff, so starting with RDA as a current 60 year old MacGYver and then flashback to a younger MacGYver would probably work out well for everyone.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 2 September 2011 - 05:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 2 September 2011 - 08:59 AM)

Somebody posted it in my "How will MacGyver Die?" thread in the Houseboat section of this forum. Who knows if it's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Traveller
Posted: 2 September 2011 - 06:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

It's not a rumor, Miasma. It's a fact.
I got it from the horse's mouth, like I described in my post.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
WhatMeWorry?
Posted: 4 September 2011 - 06:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Easy Target

QUOTE (Traveller @ 3 September 2011 - 02:17 AM)

I can't say I'm too happy about that concept. I am really praying the film will stay true series. Although Hollywood TV adaptations seem to always lets the fans down.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 4 September 2011 - 11:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Hell Week

It sounds like a stupid idea actually because we know from flashbacks and back-stories that MacGyver has been the way he is since he was a child, so basically he was born that way.

TO answer your question though, I think having RDA "book-end the movie would be a good compromise. Everyone wants to see RDA as MacGyver, but we know he's had health problems which would probably impact his ability to do the physical stuff, so starting with RDA as a current 60 year old MacGyver and then flashback to a younger MacGyver would probably work out well for everyone.

Health problems? You mean problems related with getting older, or something more serious?
I hadn't heard anything. I thought RDA was invincible!

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 5 September 2011 - 10:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Mostly to do with his feet. He's had operations on his feet over the past few years. The now infamous "fat" photo was taken after one of the surgeries while he was on or had been on strong pain medication which was partly responsible for the weight he gained.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 6 September 2011 - 11:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Traveller @ 3 September 2011 - 02:17 AM)

No offense intended, but anyone can say anything on the internet, so I tend to be skeptical when reading reports like this without seeing some kind of proof.

However, I do think a modern-day origins story is quite likely, since that's what a happens in a lot of movies (particularly comic book movies, for example-- Spiderman has been around in the comics for a long time, but he got a modern day origin story in the Toby Maguire movies, and he'll be getting another one in the upcoming "Amazing Spiderman" movie. Same thing with The Hulk, and Iron Man, and many others.) So I could definitely see them showing Mac's origins in a modern-day setting. IF they do that, then I don't think RDA should bookend it as an older MacGyver because it would make the inconsistancy too apparent. If the origin story was going to take place in the 1970s, then I think RDA should definitely be worked into it somehow.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Traveller
Posted: 6 September 2011 - 02:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears

No offence taken, Miasma, I can only tell you it's true because it is. I have no interest whatsoever in making anything up. I am very much a fact person, I prefer facts over fiction any day.
I just never expected I'd have to come up with proof.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 9 September 2011 - 10:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 6 September 2011 - 06:33 PM)
Mostly to do with his feet. He's had operations on his feet over the past few years. The now infamous "fat" photo was taken after one of the surgeries while he was on or had been on strong pain medication which was partly responsible for the weight he gained.

I know of no such photo. I am sure he'd look fine regardless. Is there a link to this photo as I'd like to know what you are referring. I seem to have been living under a rock for some time.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 10 September 2011 - 04:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Makedde @ 10 September 2011 - 06:38 PM)

I know of no such photo. I am sure he'd look fine regardless. Is there a link to this photo as I'd like to know what you are referring. I seem to have been living under a rock for some time.

Here ya go... MacGyver got fat!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 10 September 2011 - 08:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 11 September 2011 - 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (Makedde @ 10 September 2011 - 06:38 PM)

Here ya go... MacGyver got fat!

Oh okay. I've seen those photos on google and to me, he looks like any other guy nearing 60. It's natural to have a bit of weight. I think he looks great. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac Jackson
Posted: 16 September 2011 - 07:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 1 September 2011 - 12:59 PM)

TO answer your question though, I think having RDA "book-end the movie would be a good compromise. Everyone wants to see RDA as MacGyver, but we know he's had health problems which would probably impact his ability to do the physical stuff, so starting with RDA as a current 60 year old MacGyver and then flashback to a younger MacGyver would probably work out well for everyone.

well said. I would either have him bookend the film or focus on SAM with RDA throughout.

Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 16 September 2011 - 09:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Keep in mind, though, that even the tv show couldn't keep its history straight. The most obvious example was the conflicting stories about how Mac and Pete first met (in quicksand? Or chasing Murdoc?) Also, if we go by what we see in the "Partners" episode, then we're expected to believe that Mac was a bit of a nervous nerdy guy before he met Pete. But if we go by what we see in some other episodes when they show him as a child, he didn't seem like he'd be that way at all.

If the show had a really solid sense of character history, then I wouldn't want a movie messing with it. But since the writers of the show couldn't figure out Mac's history, I guess I'm okay with letting the movie take a stab at it. I doubt I'd see this movie as canon, anyway. I'd see it more like a reinterpretation of the character (or, since Zlotoff is involved, I might even see it as how the character was intended to be before other people got their hands on him.)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 17 September 2011 - 01:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

My problem is that no one else could ever play MacGyver better, or as good as RDA himself. RDA is MacGyver. I'm not likely to see a movie with anyone other than RDA playing the title character.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 17 September 2011 - 03:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I'm not likely to see a movie with anyone other than RDA playing the title character.
Even if the movie made #1 at the box office?

Lets be realistic for a moment....

- RDA hasn't shown any interest in MacGyver since the show ended.
- RDA has publicly said he's not interested in going back to old roles.
- The only times RDA has done anything MacGyver related in recent years was poking fun at the show.
- RDA is semi-retired from acting.
- RDA looks and sounds different from his days as MacGyver.

Unfortunately any movie with RDA as MacGyver is going to be vastly different from the TV show, simply because everyone is older, things have changed and as Thomas Wolfe said, "You can't go home again."

This movie is being produced by the guy who created MacGyver. This is practically the perfect scenario. As fans of MacGyver shouldn't we be doing everything we can to support the venture? Buying tickets to try and get the movie to #1 and re-kindle the franchise we all enjoy so much?

Sure RDA gave us the foundation for the character by providing the mannerisms etc, but a good actor could easily copy those and make us feel like we're watching RDA's MacGyver.

I think it's wrong to get tied into the "RDA is the only MacGyver" mindset, because we end up cutting our noses off to spite our faces and in doing so jeopardize the chances of seeing a rebirth of the MacGyver franchise.
Yes RDA was the original MacGyver and he created the character as we know him, but that doesn't mean others can play the role in the same way.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 17 September 2011 - 05:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I've watched shows where the main character has been replaced, and I don't think it works. If someone other than RDA was to play MacGyver, it'd have to be someone really good - and someone who actually watched the show, and knows enough about MacGyver to play the character.
We won't know if it'll make number one until it is released - and it isn't likely to make number one anyway, no matter how good it is. The fans will see it, but will everyone else?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 17 September 2011 - 08:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

That's why this movie has to be a Mission Impossible styled reboot. The movie has to appeal to today's movie going public.

I think we're going to see something like a Mission Impossible - Indy Jones - Pilot episode mix, maybe even some James Bond style thrown in as well.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 17 September 2011 - 09:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I don't want it that far removed from what MacGyver was, though. And when you mentioned Indy, it got me thinking about how bad the last Jones movie was...heaven help us if the MacGyver movie turns out as bad!

I hope RDA at least appears in it. Even if he doesn't play a major part, it'd be nice to see him in it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 17 September 2011 - 10:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yeah I agree that there needs to be a fairly substantial nod to RDA as the original MacGyver.

It worked well with the Maverick movie where they had the original actor play the father of the lead character. No reason why they can't do it with RDA. And if they are going with an origins storyline then having RDA bookend it wouldn't be very hard to do.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
angus20
Posted: 18 September 2011 - 10:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:all

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 17 September 2011 - 11:17 PM)
Lets be realistic for a moment....

- RDA hasn't shown any interest in MacGyver since the show ended.
- RDA has publicly said he's not interested in going back to old roles.
- The only times RDA has done anything MacGyver related in recent years was poking fun at the show.
- RDA is semi-retired from acting.
- RDA looks and sounds different from his days as MacGyver.

Unfortunately any movie with RDA as MacGyver is going to be vastly different from the TV show, simply because everyone is older, things have changed and as Thomas Wolfe said, "You can't go home again."

This movie is being produced by the guy who created MacGyver. This is practically the perfect scenario. As fans of MacGyver shouldn't we be doing everything we can to support the venture? Buying tickets to try and get the movie to #1 and re-kindle the franchise we all enjoy so much?

Sure RDA gave us the foundation for the character by providing the mannerisms etc, but a good actor could easily copy those and make us feel like we're watching RDA's MacGyver.

I think it's wrong to get tied into the "RDA is the only MacGyver" mindset, because we end up cutting our noses off to spite our faces and in doing so jeopardize the chances of seeing a rebirth of the MacGyver franchise.
Yes RDA was the original MacGyver and he created the character as we know him, but that doesn't mean others can play the role in the same way.

Realistic? I mean for sure the show was successful, why causeĀ“RDA was amazing, sometimes I end up thinking his hair was mostly 50% of the character- despite the ingenuity that everyone enjoy. Nowdays things are different Zlotoff wants to create a story/bussiness again.

I think no one could ever copy RDA, no matter how hard he/they try, come on, there are 7 seasons behind + 2 movies. I think some people is getting confused with the new "comic book" this guy is not the kind of hero like Spider man or Iron man, for me he could be like "James bond" in fact I remember one episode in wich Mac refered himself as Bond-James-Bond. Whenever the main character is change the show/movie change, for instance the new James bond, or you think Daniel Craig is better than Pierce Brosnan
or even Sean Connery?

I'm realistic realizing this new project is just a business, this Mac world the some of us truly enjoy, is like the dream life that a lot of people want it to have, but not thinking about a show that becomes a Comic book and then a show again. RDA should be in this new movie, probably not playing the main role, or you think they can make a movie without him!

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
cirubit
Posted: 26 September 2011 - 01:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: various

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:phoenix under siege

QUOTE (Miasma @ 2 September 2011 - 03:56 AM)
Since the latest rumor is that the movie will be an origins story, showing how Mac became the guy we all know, how would people feel if RDA was hired just to bookend the film?  For example, he could have a brief adventure at the start of the film, and then the majority of the movie would be a flashback starring a younger guy, and then RDA returns at the end to finish the narrative.  Could that work, or would it seem to hokey?

For me it's not a stupid idea, it's sound like the STAR TREK version of J.J. Abrams, where Leonard Nimoy plays the old Spock!
It could work, for me...

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted: 31 May 2012 - 03:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

I never really thought of it as a kids' show, either. Some of the plotlines were pretty adult, about international intrigue and stuff that kids wouldn't necessarily understand. I always thought of it as aimed at the 13-and-up crowd. And for a show where the hero didn't use guns or violence to get out of trouble, it *could* get rather intense sometimes... all the explosions, Mac getting hurt, etc.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macap311
Posted: 7 August 2012 - 07:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: many+100 ep SAK

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Widowmaker, Holy Rose

Bradley Cooper as MacGyver...
I'm just saying...
who do you guys think could step into Mac's. boots?

RDA will Always be Mac... but as others have stated we must be supportive and move forward!
Hell we reluctantly watch MacGrubber don't we? Admit it you do!

And YES yo the idea of RDA telling the story...or maybe play Harry?!?

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll