Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Ever since I got my Gatecon ticket, I'd been plotting about doing something with the LOLMacs for Gatecon. I thought it would be neat to pick out some of the best images and get them made into buttons, which I would then give away to people at the con, as a way of sharing the fun. (And possibly letting more people know they exist.) After Lothi and Grrl and I had arranged to room together, I asked them if they'd like to be part of the give-away as well, and they were cheerfully willing.

I reworked thirty of the images into the right format (they had to be square, and most of them are actually rectangles), and submitted an order to an online button-making site.

Then I got the email saying the order had been cancelled.

The images contained copyrighted material. doh.gif

I replied to the email, saying the buttons were to be given away, and also saying that I was very glad that they were enforcing copyright. Which was true. I was disappointed, but they had no way of verifying that I wasn't going to sell the things, and copyright on the internet is generally violated far too casually.

Then I emailed Grrl and Lothi and whinged about the bad news -- and Grrl came back with a scheme to make the buttons ourselves. She did the printing and laminating, and I got pinbacks and made them into pins . . . and then the pins started to fall off, because the laminate was too smooth to work well with Krazy Glue.

Then, about Day Two of the con, Grrl managed to MacGyver the pins. It turns out that if you apply Krazy Glue to a laminated surface and then apply a layer of tissue paper, and saturate the tissue with the glue, you can glue a metal pinback to a laminated paper square and it will hold.

So hats off to MacGyverGrrl, who MacGyvered the LOLMacs twice over!

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 30 August 2008 - 04:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber

All Hail MacGyverGrrl! YAY!! *\@/*

We love your brain! laugh.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted: 30 August 2008 - 05:30 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

*bows down low, hands in the air*

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll