Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 108 - Twenty Questions

MacGyver suspects his young friend, Lisa Woodman, has a drinking problem, when she is found passed out at the scene of a home burglary.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macgybl
Posted on 27 May 2008 - 06:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Survivors
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I'm assuming this episode was left out for a reason.

Def not one of my favs. It really is that bad.

From the start, the episode was a Giant PSA about teen drinking, it really steered away from a typical Mac episode. Focusing too much on the point they were trying to make.

I know there were a few other PSA eps.... "Runners" seems to come to mind...

What were some others?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SHEILA
Posted on 27 May 2008 - 07:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Second Loft

There were other PSA in a lot of Macgyver epo. There was the whole black rino thing in africa.That is were he went to find one of the colton bro.The whole Lisa Woodman thing I liked. From time to time you have to show Macgyver's compassion.He just can't globe trot in every epo. Mac cared for Lisa. I'm she saved his life. He heard she was is trouble and he came runing. He wanted to help. But tv in the 1990's had a lot of PSA. Macgyver was a big show then. Kids needed a role model.I agree that to much PSA can ruin a goog tv show.I think in season 5 there were a bunch of PSA in Macgyver.I think.

Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 5 June 2008 - 05:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker
Jacket:  Black leather

I liked the episode ok, but the thing that really bugged me was Lisa's parents.
Every time I see the episode, I want to jump in with Mac telling them that Lisa has a problem and they're not listening to him at all. They don't want to admit that she has a problem with alcohol, but they are quick to criticize her spending, (buying "food" with the credit card which they were dumb enough to give her. She has the credit card in Hearts of Steel when she and Ingrid are in the mall.) her grades, her friends, her hair. Maybe if they had focused more on Lisa and less on themselves, their daughter wouldn't have a reason to drink. And the mother drinks. I always wondered how to further develop that. Lisa in therapy?

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 28 September 2008 - 04:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

I suppose this is a common phenomenon and really has to be taken care of if the producer dedicated a special episode to talk about. hmm.bmp Drinking and drug problems still exist in today's teenagers, topped with drink driving. Obviously Lisa took up this habit from her parents, as I can see alcohols are everywhere in the house and so handy. This episode also gave us another teenage nightmare of Mac -- his friend was killed in a drink-driving car crash. Poor Mac! He's lost so many friends when he was still young!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 28 September 2008 - 05:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I find this episode quite hard to stomach, because I have zero tolerance for parents like that, and I find myself wanting to smack their heads together and telling to to wake the censored.gif up and take care of your damn daughter instead of your own egos!!!

blowup.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 29 September 2008 - 02:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 29 September 2008 - 01:17 PM)
I find this episode quite hard to stomach, because I have zero tolerance for parents like that, and I find myself wanting to smack their heads together and  telling to to wake the censored.gif up and take care of your damn daughter instead of your own egos!!!

blowup.gif

Well, Lisa's parents--the thing that gets me, is in Cease Fire Lisa is living in a boarding school. In Hearts of Steel we don't see the mom at all. When we do see her finally the reasons for the marital problems become a little clearer. It isn't just in 20 Questions. These parents and Lisa too need help. and when Mac tries to help them, they villify him and throw him out of their house.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 12 April 2009 - 11:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I'm guessing Lisa's drinking problem came from her mother because everytime we see her parent's her mother is pouring herself a drink.

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 15 April 2009 - 07:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yeah I thought that also.

It was pretty obvious. laugh.gif << drunk laughter

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 30 August 2010 - 07:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

Guess I never commented on this one. Funny, I thought I did...

I never saw this one until I got the DVD's, and I'd heard nothing but negative comments, so I was prepared not to like it, but I did. I thought Lisa's insecurity was very believable, and her wanting to be accepted by an older crowd of kids that she obviously looked up to. Her choice of "friends" (and I use that term loosely!) was poor, but it happens to a lot of kids who are lonely.

It was obvious that the whole family needed professional help, and were deeply in denial that anything was wrong. I wonder if Eric was somehow prominent in the community, and so felt pressured to keep up appearances? And the way Lisa's mom kept reaching for a drink every time she was stressed... well, is it any wonder Lisa turned to alcohol to relieve HER stress?? Some people just shouldn't be trusted with children, and Lisa's parents were perfect examples!!

I also thought it was a very realistic and compassionate portrayal of alcoholism. Mac never judged Lisa for her problem, or told her to just stop drinking. Addiction really is a disease, and some people are more prone to it than others.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 30 August 2010 - 09:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Addiction really is a disease

Yeah I once heard someone say telling an alcoholic to stop drinking is the same as telling a cancer sufferer to stop being sick.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 31 August 2010 - 08:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 29 September 2008 - 01:05 PM)
I find this episode quite hard to stomach, because I have zero tolerance for parents like that,

I, too, find this episode quite hard to stomach, but for an entirely different reason-- because it should never have been made. This does not feel like MacGyver anymore, this feels like an after-school special. We go from watching MacGyver fight off evil dictators in season 1, to watching him fight off a couple of highschool bullies in Season 6? Seriously? Lame.

On DVD, I don't mind so much when I see an episode like this because I can just watch another one. But when the show originally aired, and I would wait a full week to watch an episode, I was seriously let down when they aired epsiodes like this-- a week of anticipation, only to be let down by getting a silly PSA instead of an actual MacGyver episode.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 30 June 2011 - 09:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

It was an okay episode, although Lisa has always bugged me. I don't really care much what happens to her because I wish they'd just get rid of her. She's a pain in the butt.

I liked Mac's story about his experimenting with alcohol when he was a kid and decided it wasn't for him. I feel the exact same way which is why I don't drink. Mac's smart like that, he seems to know what's good for us!

I hope this is the last episode Lisa appears in. I don't think I could stand anymore. The scene of her 'dancing' on the beach was just so ridiculous I wanted to push her over. Although she was drunk, it reminds me of the silly dance she did in the music shop with her friend Ingrid in Hearts of Steel.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 20 August 2011 - 10:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Liz1976 @ 29 September 2008 - 11:02 PM)
and when Mac tries to help them, they villify him and throw him out of their house.

I can understand their reaction. No-one likes an outsider/busy-body sticking their nose in and telling them whats wrong with their life and what they should do to fix it.

In the Woodman's case MacGyver's assessment was correct, but I would expect things like pride and arrogance would have been big factors in the response. The reaction would have been something like "how dare this "working class" person come into my house and tell me, (the upper class businessman) that my daughter has a drinking problem!"

Drinking problems are often perceived as things to be hidden away and ashamed of too which would only have added to the above mentioned reaction.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 15 October 2013 - 02:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

Having a hard time to know where to put this post because it's not a nitpick but it's about the episode.

In the beginning Lisa lies about the fact that she hasn't been drinking. Instead she claims she had ate whole bunch of chocolates with the real liquor in the middle. Well, last week I saw this show about two brothers doing all kind of bodily experiments and discuss their experiences in front of an audience.

One of the experiments they did live in the studio was to find out if you get drunk from eating liquor pralines. So one of them had to start eating them while hosting the show and perform an alcohol test. By the end of the show one of them ate thirteen liquor pralines and the final test turned out to be positive. Which is interesting because the first test turned out negative and he ate nine of them. So you need to eat more than ten liquor pralines to get drunk.

Though Lisa lied about it, it was a good one, yet transparent. I think you have to at least double the amount to get the wanted effect. To feel tired, wanting to sleep and be unable to remember what happened before. And I think that's what Kyle was talking about that you need to eat a whole bunch of those until that happens.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 30 August 2015 - 12:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

QUOTE (Makedde @ 1 July 2011 - 05:15 PM)
It was an okay episode, although Lisa has always bugged me. I don't really care much what happens to her because I wish they'd just get rid of her. She's a pain in the butt.

Yes, yes she is.

I'm not denying that her parents aren't doing as good a job as they might, but Lisa is extremely rude and unpleasant to everyone who crosses her path. Even before the alcohol problem, she's rotten to people at her boarding school and rotten to the shop assistant when she and Ingrid are trying on the jackets in previous episodes.

I suppose she makes a different sidekick for Mac and we get to see him being a 'big brother' to her, but I just can't warm to her. The 'poor little rich girl' thing sets my teeth on edge every time. mad.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 30 August 2015 - 04:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Don't really agree. She wasn't rude at her boarding school at all. She stops her headmaster speaking because she's well aware of what the situation with her parents is and in Hearts of Steel she was just pretending arrogance by saying: 'Cheap.' I think it's more odd the shop assistent didn't offer help but rather give this annoyed cough. Aren't 14 year olds not allowed inside a shop to try something on in a mall? They weren't doing anything wrong.

Twenty Questions is another matter. I do agree on that one though. But in all episodes she's in she's pretty good at acting her age. However in Cease Fire she seems much smarter than she appears. She's a kid with an opinion about a situation she seems to know more about than an adult. Than she meets Mac who's ready to listen.

The point is that Lisa is rude and unpleasant because her parents aren't really looking after her like they should. They're important peoples making big money by closing big deals. And she's not getting the attention she needs. Does it suprise you than that she's like that? She's being ignored by her parents. And unfortunately, I know how that feels.

I think Lisa is someone you need to get to know a little before you can really like her and why it is important Mac's around.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 30 August 2015 - 10:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

Heh heh. Room for everyone biggrin.gif

I do agree that Mayim Bialik is very good at acting the character. Unfortunately, the character she's been given to act is a brat...

Fourteen year olds are absolutely allowed to try on things in shops. What annoys is the arrogance. Whether real or faked, she was still rude to the assistant. She does seem pretty smart and with a good grasp of the information in Cease Fire, but again it's not what she says, it's the way she goes about saying it. She's even rude to Mac in this episode when he's clearly trying to help her! Her default state seems to be to assume that everyone around her is stupid and that it's therefore OK to be stroppy with them.

Is her rudeness and arrogance down to lack of attention and guidance from her parents? Yes, quite likely.
If her parents were doing a better job, would she be more polite and likable? Also quite likely, although fourteen year olds do seem to specialise in arrogant even when well treated.

I'm not denying for a moment that she's a product of her environment, but I still don't enjoy watching her!
I'm glad you like her though
smile.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 30 August 2015 - 03:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Liking her is a big word. But I've come to understand her a bit more while getting older myself.

Her being rude to Mac in this episode adds more to the drama. After all she called for him at the station and than scoffs him off because of his reaction to her drinking. I think I can deal with her rudeness, I think it's worse she lied to him.

I just think: 'Puberty.'

Anyway, can't expect that everyone likes every character either. smile.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 30 August 2015 - 06:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

The parade of neurotic female characters appearing in this series is a lengthy one. doh.gif

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 31 August 2015 - 01:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

At least she has some depth.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 14 September 2016 - 01:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

Ah, the olden days, when Lisa could describe Mac as "her best friend" without anyone suspecting any ulterior motives on his part. Not, of course, that he had any ulterior motives. But these days, someone would at least wonder out loud about it.

Am I right in thinking that he failed to grasp the significance of Lisa being the only 9th grader that Holly would talk to? Maybe the high school he attended was lacking in social hierarchies - which would make it the only fictional high school in the whole US of A where all the pupils respected all the other pupils and nobody tried to be top dog.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 14 September 2016 - 10:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

I suppose it's quite a stark contrast - Mac doesn't drink alcohol at all and Lisa has a real drinking problem. But I suppose the purpose of the 20 questions was to show that some people do drink socially and that Lisa doesn't fit that category.

(Not that anyone should be drinking socially at the age of 14. Okay, a couple of sips, under parental supervision, wouldn't shock or alarm me.)

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 15 April 2017 - 12:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

Have anyone else seen this message? This was cut out from DVD version, but I watched this episode from online and this message appeared end of that episode with RDA voiceover.

Attached Image
Attached Image

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 15 April 2017 - 03:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I remember seeing that one time. Also at the end of Runners that happens but just a voice over on the freezed final shot and that one is on the dvd.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 14 November 2020 - 05:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

Frankly not bad as an episode, it's true that it's not the best of the season, but it's honest, it has no downtime, even if Lisa has less energy than these other performances, she does not care. comes out anyway.

When I saw this episode a few months ago, I had a bad opinion on it, but I like to watch it before giving a review why? already because I love the series happy.gif happy.gif Then it allows me to have a more objective opinion, and I was right, because watching the episode again I quickly changed my mind, for the top but it is honest as a whole, I got well entertained in front of my tv screen

I really like the character of Lisa and she forms a good duet with Mac, on the other hand her parents no I can't stand them ... In France, Lisa has the same voice actor for her 3 participations, that's already it, and the episode is titled "the questionnaire"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 14 November 2020 - 05:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Mac has a very nice sweater.

Attached Image
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 14 November 2020 - 05:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I'm glad Inspector Kiley is participating too.

Attached Image
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 14 November 2020 - 05:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 November 2020 - 10:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (sylvain1888 @ 15 November 2020 == 01:28 PM)
Mac has a very nice sweater.

it's a long sleeve t-shirt.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll