Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Both Macs parents have blue eyes, yet Mac has brown eyes?
Mac claims that he saw his father when he was 10. this conflicts with info given in Runners that James MacGyver died when Mac was 7.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted: 26 June 2007 - 07:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Not sure this is much of a nitpick, but here goes.

This is the first eppy in awhile where we see Pete brandish a gun. Now, this was made before the days of liberalized concealed-carry laws in most of the U.S. Therefore, is Pete still a federal agent at this time (I doubt it; it's been made pretty clear by now that he and Mac have broken ties with the DXS), or is there another explanation?

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 26 June 2007 - 08:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

QUOTE (MacGirl @ 26 June 2007 - 05:19 PM)

This is the first eppy in awhile where we see Pete brandish a gun. Now, this was made before the days of liberalized concealed-carry laws in most of the U.S. Therefore, is Pete still a federal agent at this time (I doubt it; it's been made pretty clear by now that he and Mac have broken ties with the DXS), or is there another explanation?

I think he carries one out of precaution.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 26 June 2007 - 03:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGirl @ 27 June 2007 - 04:19 AM)

Good question.

I've always thought that because of the close relationship the foundation had with government agencies, and the high level security work they are involved with, Phoenix foundation operatives where licensed to carry guns.

It was hinted at in Early retirement (and maybe other episodes) that Pete and Mac weren't the only ex DXS agents working at the foundation, and because of the nature of some of the things they are involved in, it always made sense to me that they would carry guns.

This however doesn't answer the question of why Pete just happened to have a gun on him. I guess the simple explanation is that he always carries one...

Maybe once an agent.. always an agent.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted: 5 September 2007 - 06:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Perhaps it's like being a policeman, they always carry a gun, or people who deposit the day's money, Prison guards do too - at least here they do. So that's prolly it, just part of the job

MacGyversCrush
Posted: 11 September 2007 - 08:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Brown bomber

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 2 November 2006 - 03:30 PM)
Both Macs parents have blue eyes, yet Mac has brown eyes?
Mac claims that he saw his father when he was 10. this conflicts with info given in Runners that James MacGyver died when Mac was 7.

I'm was wondering the same thing with the eye color.

But again, my mom has blue eyes, and my dad has green eyes. But my sister has brown eyes.. So I guess it's possible.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted: 11 September 2007 - 09:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

It is extremely rare for 2 parents with blue eyes to have a brown eyed child. The short of this long explanation has to do with a with chromosme in one of the parents, which would have to be a weak gene, and then other stuff has to occur in the gene. Are the green eyes hazel? Or are the brown eyes a pale shade, perhaps a hazel blend?

MacGyversCrush
Posted: 11 September 2007 - 09:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites

Hazel green all the way.. My sister's eyes are dark brown, she also has tanned skin and almost black hair, where the rest of us are not..

I know it's all about dominate genes, ect.

I was pointing out it could be slim chance it could be possible.

But as they say anything in television is possible.. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted: 11 September 2007 - 04:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

In eye color, I think brown is dominant, so even with 2 blue-eyed parents, there were probably grand-parents with brown or hazel eyes to add in that brown gene to the mix - It just skipped a generation.

huh.gif jeep.gif

That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 12 September 2007 - 01:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I have blue eyes, as do both my parents.

My children's mother had brown eyes as did both her parents.

My children have blue eyes... in spite of the dominence of the brown gene.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted: 12 September 2007 - 04:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

A brown eyed parent, or even having 2 brown eyed parents, doesn't preclude having a blue eyed child. Having both parents with blue eyes, is virtually impossible to have a brown eyed child, because blue is recessive and can only pass on a recessive gene ( except in those 1 in a billion chances where gene mutation is also going on ) Same reason 2 blondes won't have a dark haired child. People's hair color does change naturally as they age, some childhood blondes end up with brown hair as adults, but they stillhave only a recessive blonde gene to pass on.

Both my parents had brown eyes, as did all 3 of their kids, but I had a green eyed great-grandmother and when I married a blue eyed guy, my son has green eyes, as he inherited 1 of the 2 recessive genes from his dad, and the recessive gene from me instead of the dominant brown. His fiancee is like him, a blonde with blue eyes and fair skin. If they have a dark skinned and hair, brown eyed child, something is definately up lol

macsgirl1
Posted: 25 April 2009 - 06:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I have dark brown eyes and my husband has hazel but we have a son that has brilliant blue eyes. The only one of seven to have them. MacG.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 25 April 2009 - 07:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

So I guess what all this eye color comes back to is, it's a TV show, and we're all thinking way harder than the makers of the show did. laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted: 26 April 2009 - 01:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

It is called DNA. Did anyone ever hear about the twins born in Britain where one was white and the other black. They went back into the history of both families and found out that there was some interracial marriages. So just because both parents and sets of grandparents have brown eyes or blue eye or hazel eyes, doesn't mean that the child will have the same eye color, same works with hair color. My two sister are blond and blue/hazel eyes. My two brothers and I are brown hair, and one brother has hazel eyes. Just my thoughts. huh.gif

PM                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted: 26 April 2009 - 01:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 27 April 2009 - 09:23 AM)
It is called DNA. Did anyone ever hear about the twins born in Britain where one was white and the other black. They went back into the history of both families and found out that there was some interracial marriages. So just because both parents and sets of grandparents have brown eyes or blue eye or hazel eyes, doesn't mean that the child will have the same eye color, same works with hair color. My two sister are blond and blue/hazel eyes. My two brothers and I are brown hair, and one brother has hazel eyes. Just my thoughts. huh.gif

never heard of it but thats strange and amazeing at the same time.

macsgirl1
  Posted: 13 May 2009 - 01:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

In the scene where Pete tells Hakim not to even breathe, Mac's IV bag is full and on the other side of the pole. Yet when they show it again it is half empty and back on the bed side of the pole. doh.gif

PM                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted: 13 May 2009 - 07:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Happens all the time it probably leaked out on the floor when the nurse forgot to clamp it off.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 18 May 2009 - 01:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 14 May 2009 - 03:51 PM)
Happens all the time it probably leaked out on the floor when the nurse forgot to clamp it off.

Do they change from one side of the pole to the other by themselves?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macsgirl1
Posted: 17 June 2009 - 06:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

That must have been one hack of a leak to empty out that fast.
Hey Rocky maybe Casper moved it. roller.gif

PM                                                                     
macgyversgirl
Posted: 31 March 2010 - 08:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites

When they are first at the hospital and Pete is shown standing outside Mac's door looking in at him, Hakim turns the corner. Pete looks over at them and turns to go toward them. As he does in the upper left corner of the screen between the light and the EAST 2A sign you can see a microphone.

PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN                                                                     
jennkurz
Posted: 28 April 2010 - 02:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: tinker

Favorites
Episode:passages/ outsiders/ ma dalton
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors

just a nit pick i have with a lot of shows. I am a paramedic and any halfwit working on a ambulance knows that using a neck brace on a suspected spinal cord injury patient without securering his head is pointless. Macgyvers head, neck and body should have been completly immobilized using head straps, head blocks and body straps to a backboard. Also MacGyver would have been a trauma alert from a fall of that height and NO WAY any family member or friend would ever be allowed to ride in the back of the ambulance due to limited space, privacy concerns, and the intensity of the situation. But i guess that would have not allowed pete to look concerned and convey the gravity of the situation. Lots of shows do this and it always irks me.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 30 April 2010 - 04:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Lots of shows do this and it always irks me.

Now that you mention it, you do see that kind of thing a lot.

I guess it's one of those things where you have to remember that their goal is to tell an entertaining story, not to train ambulance staff.

Lets face it, seeing people very carefully and slowly brace, secure and then carefully move an injured person to an ambulance isn't exactly riveting stuff to watch compared to seeing someone shaking around on the stretcher as they are rushed towards the ambulance at full speed with worried onlookers by their side.

Today's shows would be a bit more realistic than shows from the 80's and 90's though wouldn't' they? or are they still way off?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macgyversgirl
Posted: 14 May 2010 - 09:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (jennkurz @ 29 April 2010 - 10:54 AM)
just a nit pick i have with a lot of shows. I am a paramedic and any halfwit working on a ambulance knows that using a neck brace on a suspected spinal cord injury patient without securering his head is pointless. Macgyvers head, neck and body should have been completly immobilized using head straps, head blocks and body straps to a backboard. Also MacGyver would have been a trauma alert from a fall of that height and NO WAY any family member or friend would ever be allowed to ride in the back of the ambulance due to limited space, privacy concerns, and the intensity of the situation. But i guess that would have not allowed pete to look concerned and convey the gravity of the situation. Lots of shows do this and it always irks me.

I must disagree about people riding in the back with patients, when i was in a car accident a few years ago my husband was permitted to sit at my head just as Pete sat at MacGyver's.
I had also spent a few years in the fire department and on many occasions Patients had someone ride in back with them.
I do agree with you on the immobilization of MacGyver, if they are going to shoot such a scene they could at least make some effort to make it more real.

No Rocky they are still WAY off in that area.

MacGyverGod
Posted: 15 May 2010 - 01:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Are hospital shows like ER or Chicago Hope or Grey's Anatomy also way off?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 15 May 2010 - 01:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 15 May 2010 - 09:05 PM)
Are hospital shows like ER or Chicago Hope or Grey's Anatomy also way off?

You know, I've just been thinking about the difference between those shows and the "fly on the wall" reality shows where they follow ambulance crews or doctors around the ER etc, and there is quite a big difference. In shows like ER there's lots of drama, lots of stuff happening, patents being moved around a lot, orders are barked out, everything is very animated, but in the real life shows things seem much calmer. Procedures are done slowly and carefully, patents are moved as little as possible, there's never any real sense of panic or pressure from the staff, they just deal with the issues as they happen.

So from that analysis I would say those shows are way off. They aim to provide dramatic entertainment. To do that they must provide dramatic scenes and it would seem that some of the tricks of the trade include having people bouncing around on trolleys or beds as they are being moved.

I guess it makes sense. Today's shows still have the same goals as the shows from the 80's and 90's and that is to entertain rather than train medical staff, as I said in an earlier post.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macgyversgirl
Posted: 15 May 2010 - 09:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

But the key to keeping a show alive is to make it as realistic as possible, if you don't the show dies. Just look at Heroes, they are dropping it without an ending. I don't think anyone, I know I am not, saying that the show should train medical staff but as a writer you don't want paople watching and thinking as if that would ever happen. There are times when the realistic element is missing and it ruins the entire show. Sorry for the rambling but it saddens me when a good writer and a good show looks bad over a little oversight that could easily be fixed, you don't have to have medical training to make it look real.

MacGyverOnline
Posted: 15 May 2010 - 01:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

but then you have to balance that with the question "How many of the average viewers would know that it's not real?"

I would guess the majority don't know, and those are the people the show are catering too, not the handful who have medical training and know they are fudging it. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macgyversgirl
Posted: 15 May 2010 - 04:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

True but alot of people out there have common sense enough to realize that something isn't right especially when it is so obvious.

jennkurz
Posted: 16 May 2010 - 01:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: tinker

Favorites
Episode:passages/ outsiders/ ma dalton
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors

I didnt mean to start a whole argument. And by no means is MacGyver the only show to do it. Its just my own personal nitpick(hence my inclusion of it here) because even though the goal obviously is to entertain in a dramatic fashion, many people truly BELIEVE everything they see on TV. I cant tell you how many calls I have been on where a bystander has started CPR and has made the comment "I saw how to do it on Baywatch". I like Baywatch but in 11 years on tv they never did CPR right, and not surprisingly these bystanders never do it right, which causes more harm than good. See my additional comment on Good Knight MacGyver about when the paramedic tells him to go home and sleep off his head injury. Thats the complete opposite of what he should do. If you Google the Stanley Milgram experiment it will back up the fact that people in a position of authority(even those on TV) hold a great amount of influence on peoples behavior. I just wish writers would show a little more realistic consistancy about some fairly basic emergency procedures.They dont have to show the 10 minutes on scene needed to package a pt for transport, just put the head blocks on him before filming the scene. I think more recent shows such as HOUSE and 24 are trying to make attempts in this area more so than shows did in the 80s and 90s. Also just to clarify my earlier comment, DOT regulations do allow pts to be accompanied in the back of the ambulance during non emergent, or urgent transports, and we often do allow them however they expressly prohibit them in the pt area in Code 3 EMERGENCY transports to the hospital such as shown in this episode, because of the limited cramped space needed to work and the extensive amount of work usually needing to be done of these type of pts.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macgyversgirl
Posted: 16 May 2010 - 05:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

No hon you didn't start any arguement, at least not with me. I completely agree with you. Even people with no medical knowledge or training have noticed not just the backboard missing but the amount of times MacGyver was shocked. I was researching coma for a story I am writing and I put in a call to a coma organization for info, during the discussion we got to discussing Passages. Though they were happy that they at least didn't have MacGyver sit up and start talking, they were still upset that they had him wake up and communicate. They said that they have had many families of coma patients be given false hope by how ALL tv shows falsely protray such things. I know that their goal was drama, but geeze. O can't help but think that they could have done this ep way better had they made it into a two parter.
My other pick with this ep is how the DOCTOR flopped Mac over on the injured side of his face to put the board under him, its like hello the man fell nearly 3 stories!
Something else that bugs me is Dr. Brolenz response as to why Mac could not talk, makes me wonder what gumball machine he got his license from.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll