Mac a vegetarian?, started by BlueIce Sep 27 2006
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Was MacGyver Vegetarian or just a Healthy Eater?
Healthy Eater [ 20 ]  [95.24%]
Vegetarian [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Maclover
Posted on 17 October 2015 - 08:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I think Mac was just a healthy eater, but like most survivalist type people I think when the chips were down he would eat whatever was going to ensure that he had the energy to do what was required of him. Mind you, I've been inspired and I am trying a healthier diet myself - less caffeine (I am something of a coffee nut, but have got some decaf tea and some fruit teas as an alternative), less meat (just for health rather than for ethical reasons), less white flour products, I am going to try and get some brown rice and some cous-cous/bulgar wheat for salads.

However, vegetarianism aside, another thing I wondered about Mac was did he like sweet things? In at least one episode we see him eating an ice-cream - chocolate? Did he indulge a sweet tooth at other times? NB. I'm still only half-way through series 3.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 18 October 2015 - 03:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Twice Stung

We knocked off the red meat almost 20 years ago, and we don't miss it either. I really enjoy poultry and fish and find it doesn't mess with my system the way beef (and pork) did. I really wish I could go the whole way and go veggie but the willpower just isn't there. Mac's an inspiration to me but I'm not there yet!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 18 October 2015 - 05:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

There's no doubt that MacGyver liked to eat. Through out the series, he can be seen eating, or snacking on all kinds of things.

I hear ya Barry. I actually don't eat a lot of red meat anymore. I practically cut it out of my diet. I still eat a lot of poultry. I'd go full-out vegan/vegetarian, but I grew up in a very meat and potatoes family. Old habits die hard. But, I've gotten better... smile.gif

Edit: I'm a terrible human being... XD

Attached Image
Attached Image

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 18 October 2015 - 06:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

There was sort of an implied lean towards vegetarianism, I think. Not so conducive to his lifestyle though. At the end of the day, you and only you should know the right combination of nutrients to sustain your cellular functions, energy levels, and a healthy & level thought process.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 18 October 2015 - 09:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Aren't we being led to believe Mac is a vegetarian because Murdoc explicitly told the food in Strictly Business was vegetarian? As if it was to show how well Murdoc knows MacGyver.

I do believe Mac has his idea on junkfood --> Jerico Games. But he always seemed in for pizza; The Wish Child, Easy Target... and even cheese burgers in Family Matter.

I think Mac will eat what is necessary to stay healthy and strong. And I don't think he's picky either.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
perfectlykevin
Posted on 18 October 2015 - 10:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Can I say "all?"

Was he vegetarian? No. Look at the foods he ate. He ate meat so inherently there goes the notion he was a vegetarian. I think folks like to pick and choose what he might label himself (mainly because of our choices, not the character) but the reality is he ate pizza, ice cream, lizard, tofu, egg rolls, etc.

I think he a tendency to eat healthfully, and the best we can say is he was an omnivore. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Junemar12914026
Posted on 18 October 2015 - 11:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Thin ice

No I don't think Mac is a vegatarian, he has eaten all sorts of meat .
I think hes just careful what he eats and sometimes gets what he can.
Also if he was worried about animals to much would he be wearing a leather jacket?
I think he only kills animals for food and not sport.
If only everyone was more like Angus macgyver the world would be a better place.
Jurikmac@gmail. Com sakopen.gif p

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 19 October 2015 - 12:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Jedi, you are an awesome human being! I have to say I don't miss the red meat, and when I do cave in and have some, I pay for the indulgences lol. I wish I was as good about my diet as Mac was tho....

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Junemar12914026
Posted on 19 October 2015 - 11:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Thin ice

No I don't think Mac is a vegatarian, he has eaten all sorts of meat .
I think hes just careful what he eats and sometimes gets what he can.
Also if he was worried about animals to much would he be wearing a leather jacket?
I think he only kills animals for food and not sport.
If only everyone was more like Angus macgyver the world would be a better place.
Jurikmac@gmail. Com sakopen.gif p

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 19 October 2015 - 05:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Honestly, I really wish everybody was like Angus MacGyver....the world really would be a better place. I think he lived to be that person who really made a difference in the world. He sure is an inspiration to me!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 20 October 2015 - 02:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I think in each our own way we can actually be like him. But living up to his code of conduct or holding on to it is I think quite a challenge. On the other hand we have some of that in our own hands. We can be like him, dress like him, eat like him, act like him, think like him, helping other peoples out, listen to kids, take care of animals and the environment. We can do all our part in that.

I think it's just a matter of taking things in our own hands. Doing it is one thing, but keep doing it until it becomes a way of life is another matter.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 20 October 2015 - 04:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

This is true, and being like Mac isn't unattainable either. I know I won't be disarming bombs with paperclips, but I can duplicate his attitude and think more resourcefully. Besides, you know what they say... imitation is the sincerest form a flattery. I'm not exactly like Mac. I'm a big, fat pessimist and I fall back into that mindset every now and again. But, I'm trying!

If you don't like how the world is, you change it. You have an obligation to change it. You just do it one step at a time. - Marian Wright Edelman

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 20 October 2015 - 07:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Same here. I don't mind being more like Mac in his way of thinking perhaps but changing my entire image for that goes a little far. I like my 'dark side' at little too much for that. I'm a little more Mac Trail To Doomsday.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 20 October 2015 - 11:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

All we can do is keep on trying! Hey, at least we have an awesome role model!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted on 20 October 2015 - 01:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

This website is getting to me I've just taken on a relatively simple task that would normally be done by two people and actually thought 'I need to think like Mac to make this easier'. Thus I need to drape a large sheet over a wide tall object that wouldn't stand the sheet being dragged over it - solution fold it in half lay it on the top, and pull the sides down. I then need to tie the sheet on the wide tall object - over and under and tie at the sides - how not to lose the first end when I chuck the rest over the top - solution wedge the first end into the object being covered so it doesn't disappear. Then I found myself deploying geometry to ensure that I can get this big wheeled very heavy, front wheel steered trolly into place through a narrow opening first time. The solutions all worked first time, but what got me was that first though which was literally 'what would Mac do? hmm.bmp LOL

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 31 August 2016 - 03:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

Hi. Level 4.5 vegan here. Couldn't quite make it to Level 5. I think it was my habit of eating in the dark so nothing cast a shadow ... no, actually I am a 40-something who has been vegan half my life.

My take on it is that there's an argument that Mac decided to commit to no longer eating meat or poultry by the time he quit the Phoenix Foundation. He would no longer be in so many survival situations which didn't give him a choice as to what to eat.

I take note of the person who didn't like that people were trying to turn Mac from a good guy into a saint. I respect and understand that.

We know Mac likes animals and is affectionate towards dogs, monkeys, whatever is around. We know he is passionate about endangered animals (such as black rhino, which apparently didn't become extinct, so yay). Jack Dalton also refers to Mac's disapproval of shooting endangered animals when he mentions the contract to transport porta-potties. On the other hand, Mac's survival/bushcraft training has encouraged him to eat animals. In an episode, I forget the name, I'm a newbie to this fandom although not to veganism, he refers to small animals as "game". He refers to his grandfather (not sure if he meant Henry or if his other grandfather ever played any part in his life) trapping small animals. He mentions that they tend not to look down and so run into traps.

So we know that from a very early age, he was encouraged to see particular animals as food. Despite that, he was horrified when his friend tried to shoot a bird. And, in the episode "The Endangered", he doesn't know that the animals being turned into burgers were being trapped illegally at the actual point where he orders a salad with house dressing.

I think he's getting to a point of not wanting to eat mammals or birds, possibly not reptiles either. I don't see him having any intention of renouncing fishing at this stage in his life.

The leather jacket thing - I looked into this issue at some stage in the 1990s, after the series was over. I contacted a vegan biker for something I was writing. I was told that although synthetic fabrics existed that were more protective than leather, they were not widely available. It would have been prudent for Mac to hang on to his leather jackets for protection when motorcycling.

Although maybe the Phoenix Foundation had a section for researching the most animal-friendly, environment-friendly fabrics possible. They had a great many sections researching pretty much everything anyone could think of.

So - not vegetarian. On the other hand, a really, really good guy. macsak.gif

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 31 August 2016 - 06:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Welcome aboard Radiant Rose and I agree!!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 31 August 2016 - 08:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Welcome to MacGyver Online RadiantRose. Great to have you with us.

Good point and thanks for sharing.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MurdocFan
Posted on 6 September 2016 - 12:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:So far? Cleo Rocks
Jacket:  Leather Biker

he has eaten meat in several episodes, and i dont even remember which ones, but he's not a vegetarian... i think he just likes to eat healthy laugh.gif

-MurdocFan
Don't worry, you'll see me again. Just keep looking over your shoulder...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 9 September 2016 - 12:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Thank you, Barry and denizen. It's good to be here.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 16 September 2016 - 12:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Kate Mackay @ 21 March 2007 - 04:19 PM)
I got the feeling he was a vegetarian . I have still to look at the episodes that he is eating meat . But remember the meal that Murdoc has set for him in " Strictly Business " ? It was very elaborate . And Murdoc TOLD MacGyver that it was vegetarian. It was like MacGyver is a vegetarian and Murdoc knowing it, went to get him all the vegetarian platters he could eat to his content . Then when MacGyver would be filled up from the food, they could get down to the business at hand . That is when Murdoc was going to try to kill MacGyver in order to make it even between them , since MacGyver helped Murdoc with his ( supposed ) sister . ( I say " supposed " since in another area of this forum that question came up as to was Ashton Murdoc's sister. But we won't go into that , here and now .)
Anyway, my point being , I would say that I have that feeling MacGyver is a vegetarian . He has a very healthy way of eating . And I have as yet to see an episode that he ate meat .

Sincerely,
Katey Mackay

Then there's the question - if a person were vegetarian (but not seriously allergic to meat, fish or poultry), could they actually trust Murdoc not to have slipped meat stock or similar into the food? I mean, he's a villain, right? A villain who likes to mess with people's minds. mad.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll