Imagine a Vince Gilligan reboot of MacGyver....
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Miasma
Posted: 9 June 2023 - 12:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Found this old interview in which Vince Gilligan, the creator of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, says MacGyver was kind of an inspiration for Breaking Bad:
https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/written-...ad-def9455de7ce
VG: I did always like the idea that this would be a cable TV version of MacGyver. That was not first and foremost when I was coming up with the idea. First and foremost to me, the show is a character study about a man who is undergoing a radical transformation. He?s transforming himself from a protagonist to an antagonist. The whole show, in that sense, is an experiment to continue chemistry analogy. But there was always an element that I thought we could have fun with is the MacGyver aspect, as it were and the idea of using [Walt?s] knowledge to get him out of a jam every now and then. And I have to confess, as much fun as we have with that stuff, the show has taken so many dark character turns as he progresses from a good guy into a bad guy that of it goes by the wayside, although not intentionally. But those moments you speak of were a lot of fun to come up with and a lot of fun to write, and I?m hoping we?ll find a way to insert more of those moments as the season progresses.

Which got me thinking, imagine what he could do with a reboot of MacGyver? Gilligan definitely knows how to create/write compelling characters and drama, and there are several instance in BB and BCS where we see what are essentially MacGyverisms being done, and he doesn't rush them the way the actual Mac reboot did. Dare I say it, I think his reboot would have the potential to surpass the original series by quite a bit. Of course, it will probably (definitely) never happen, but it's fun to imagine.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 10 June 2023 - 01:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

You can never surpass the original. I've only seen a couple of episodes of the first season of Breaking Bad, never got into it. Doing MacGyverisms the way it was done in our show could also be considered as copying our show. Not saying it would but that's probably the viewers conclusion and than they nag about that. Than again, who knows?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Myrtle Groggins
Posted: 23 August 2023 - 01:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Birth Day, Soft Touch
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Second Loft

I'm thinking four storylines per season with 6 episodes each. Like Target MacGyver would play out as a six episode stretch with one episode being Bud and Harry being on foot for 90% of the episode.

The phaseout of the World Adventure format of season 1 would come organically from something that's on screen.

I don't think there could be a villain ensemble like on the Gilligan shows though. It would limit the potential scenarios a lot. That's perhaps the number one thing from 80s style storytelling. There's a rotating set of a handful of scenarios that they can drop the show in at will.

Jack Dalton would be a tough one because he'd have to either change gradually or have something happen to him. On the flip side, Mike. Extensive flashbacks, the three of them in Martinique.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll