Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 104 - Passages

While lying in a coma near death, MacGyver has an extraordinary vision of the afterlife, where he must choose between staying with his family or returning to serve justice on the thieves responsible for his hospitalization.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs_fan
Posted on 28 September 2007 - 08:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Macgyver's Women
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I have a confession to make: Ready? I cry every time I watch that episode, because it's so sad! Does any1 else?

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 28 September 2007 - 07:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

Yes, I do too. It doesn't matter how many times I've seen it--it's an emotional episode for me.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 28 September 2007 - 07:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I find the scene where he hugs his Dad is the bit that gets me misty eyed. especially when the angle changes to see MacGyver's face, and the emotion in it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
The True MacGyver
Posted on 26 March 2008 - 11:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot

This is an amazingly crafted episode. Its metaphor works in tune with MacGyver's usual adventures. But this is a touching episode where Harry and Mac have a last hurrah together as only they can. But this goes to show that Mac is vulnerable, but can cheat death.

A Dude's a Dude All Over the World - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 29 May 2008 - 01:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

I really love this eppy. It's in my top 5. When I first saw it in reruns on cable, it was so intense that I couldn't watch it again for a really long time. But when I got it on DVD, I did watch it again, and I'm glad I did!

This was made at a time when near-death experiences were getting a lot of scientific and media attention, at least in the U.S. Shows you once again how the show did a great job of keeping up with the times.

It's very hard to pick out one or two favorite moments, because I love the whole episode. But I really love the back-and-forth between the two "worlds" when Harry and Mac are trying to get out of the engine room. Talk about serious tension!! I also love the moment when Mac uses his fingers to draw the symbol KA, and Pete immediately catches on to what he's trying to say. Also the moment when Mac finally jumps from the ship, catches the dock, but is falling, and then at the last moment, a hand reaches down and grabs his, and you know it's Pete.

(And yes, I know that in the "real world" it's the other way around, hence Pete's line, "Doctor! He grabbed my hand!" but Mac interprets it as Pete reaching out to save him. It actually shows both. If you watch very carefully at that point, you'll see what I mean.)

I guess my last favorite moment is at the very end, with Pete and Mac outside in the sunshine, talking, and the last few lines of dialogue:

Mac: But you know, death's not so scary. I don't think it's the end of anything. It's more like... just... another step along the way.
Pete: That's a nice thought!
Mac: Yep, just something my grandpa taught me.

Sort of reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the Harry Potter books:

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
(Yes, I'm a PotterManiac!)

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Thornton
Posted on 28 October 2008 - 07:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Ghost Ship

It's great that they made episode about NDE. That was an excellent way to write Harry's character out of this series. Definitely the most emotional episode of this show.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 23 March 2009 - 10:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad

This eppy also reminds me of a lovely song, called "Kite", by my favorite band, U2. Here's part of the lyrics:

I wonder what's gonna happen to you/You wonder what has happened to me/I'm a man/I'm not a child/A man who sees the shadow behind your eyes/... Who's to know when the time has come around/I don't wanna see you cry/I know that this is not goodbye

If that song had been written fifteen years earlier, I could totally see it being used in this eppy.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
elavia
Posted on 12 April 2009 - 07:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Gauntlet

Great episode. Mac choose to save his friend thanks to Harry...and that incredible form of pass away for Harry: "my time has arrived". MacGyver understands this and jump off the boat alone.
Sad but great episode.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 13 April 2009 - 05:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

This is a really well done episode.
Only thing that always strikes me as a bit strange: Death seems like such a nice place, you get to ride around on a cruise ship, hang out with family members you haven't seen in years, meet attractive women, etc. Yet, when Mac finds out Pete is going to be killed, he realizes he needs to save him. Hmmm, I don't know, based on that episode, death doesn't seem like a bad thing at all! Might as well let Pete be killed, then he can hang out with Mac on a cruise ship.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 13 April 2009 - 10:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Macs_fan @ 29 September 2007 - 04:41 AM)
I have a confession to make: Ready? I cry every time I watch that episode, because it's so sad! Does any1 else?

Yes, I cry and I can't watch it often. I would love to be able to see all of my family that has passed along before me. What a wondeful idea knowing that they are our guardian angles looking out for us.

PM                                                                     
macsgirl1
  Posted on 1 May 2009 - 08:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

This may sound crazy but has anyone else wondered how they got him off of the car unsure.gif , what happened to the guy in the car, doh.gif and what happened between when Mac woke up and when they show him and Pete outside? blink.gif I've been thinking of these for the last 19yrs. clip.JPG

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 1 May 2009 - 09:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (macsgirl1 @ 2 May 2009 - 04:45 PM)
This may sound crazy but has anyone else wondered how they got him off of the car unsure.gif , what happened to the guy in the car

The same way they get people out of car wrecks. Use special equipment.
Neck braces, backboards etc. It's not relaly that big of a deal.

I would say EMT's would much rather pick a person off the top of a car than have to cut them out of a car wreck. wink.gif

I have to say that scene is one hell of a stunt. I just watched it in slow motion. Thats a real person falling on the car. blink.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 2 May 2009 - 06:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Rocky,

I was an EMT and I can tell you how the got Mac off of the car. First the would check his ABC's(airway, breathing, and circulation). Secondly they would stabilize his head (called c-spine control,) check his arms and legs for any fractures. Put a neck brace on and back board him, with what we call spider straps. Then they would then start IV fluids to maintain an open line run a EKG. And transport him code three to the nearest trauma unit.

For the person inside of the car it would pretty much be the same procedure; but that person would have been cut out with the jaws of life. Of course for both patients you would need paramedics or a cardiac tech.

Hope that helps some.

This post has been edited by SMeeceymouse on 2 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

PM                                                                     
macsgirl1
  Posted on 2 May 2009 - 01:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yes it did, thanks. biggrin.gif It was a very impressive stunt. surprise.gif It takes my breath away every time I watch it. ohmy.gif

PM                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 2 May 2009 - 02:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

It really looks like he's falling instead of some fake dummy, with his limbs flailing and grasping at nothing but air. Yikes! ohmy.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 2 May 2009 - 03:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (macsgirl1 @ 2 May 2009 - 06:39 PM)
Yes it did, thanks. biggrin.gif It was a very impressive stunt. surprise.gif It takes my breath away every time I watch it. ohmy.gif

I still can't believe that of all of the hits that Mac has taken to the head and being blinded that he doesn't have any major head injuries or eye trouble. Human head wasn't ment to take that much of a beating. hmm.bmp

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 2 May 2009 - 04:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Am I right in thinking that looks like Dan Shea?

Or did Steve Blalock do all the RDA stunts in MacGyver?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 2 May 2009 - 05:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 3 May 2009 - 02:23 AM)
Of course for both patients you would need paramedics or a cardiac tech.

Um isn't Paramedic and EMT the same thing?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macsgirl1
  Posted on 2 May 2009 - 08:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 3 May 2009 - 11:07 AM)
Yes it did, thanks. biggrin.gif  It was  a very impressive stunt. surprise.gif It takes my breath away every time I watch it. ohmy.gif

I still can't believe that of all of the hits that Mac has taken to the head and being blinded that he doesn't have any major head injuries or eye trouble. Human head wasn't ment to take that much of a beating. hmm.bmp

I think that this episode shows people that Mac isn't invincable that he can be seriously hurt. unsure.gif unsure.gif I also noticed that there is a high frequency of injuries to his forehead above his left eye. headbutt.gif

PM                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 3 May 2009 - 06:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 2 May 2009 - 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 3 May 2009 - 02:23 AM)
Of course for both patients you would need paramedics or a cardiac tech.

Um isn't Paramedic and EMT the same thing?

No a Paramedic has specialized training and can administer medications through IVs or shots, after receiving orders from a ER physician. An EMT can't. They can treat and if need be call out for an ALS provider which includes a paramedic or cardiac tech (a cardiac tech is one step below a paramedic.) Most fire departments here in VA that are professional have paramedics. Most of your flight nurses are registered nurses, but the also have a flight paramedic with them.

When I was running they would let me even though I was a LPN(licensed practical nurse) run for a paramedic. It was supposed to be a paramedic for a paramedic, a cardiac tech for a cardiac tech and EMT for an EMT. Actually I was a EMT D which means I could run a AED (which is an Automatic External Heart Defibliator). Most of the time a EMT will ride along in the back with the paramedic but he is the attendant in charge (AIC).

Hope that helps some.

PM                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 3 May 2009 - 08:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

A sad ep one of sadness and one of joy, the sad part was when Pete was almost in tears in seeing his friend in a coma and he didn't know when he was going to come out of it, and the sadness when MacGyver had to leave his family behind. the joy when he finally woke up and pete was there holding his friends hand, it seemed MacGyver was able to move on with his life.

SMeeceymouse
Posted on 3 May 2009 - 10:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (macsgirl1 @ 3 May 2009 - 01:50 AM)
Yes it did, thanks. biggrin.gif  It was  a very impressive stunt. surprise.gif It takes my breath away every time I watch it. ohmy.gif

[QUOTE]
I think that this episode shows people that Mac isn't invincable that he can be seriously hurt. unsure.gif unsure.gif I also noticed that there is a high frequency of injuries to his forehead above his left eye. headbutt.gif

Most normal people would've been seen by an eye doctor. Like I said that is a very dangerous place for any head injury. I had a lady in an assisted living that had a injury above her left eye, and the knot was still there 3 months after wards. Knew something was wrong when she took a glass of water a poured it into her lap. Got in trouble after the injury first occurred, because her blood pressure rose, and her pulse dropped. Around Christmas I sent her to the ER after arguing with her MD, she had to have surgery for a subdural hematoma (bleeding in the brain).

Sorry Rocky I know way off topic.

PM                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 3 May 2009 - 10:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Beachbead @ 3 May 2009 - 01:23 PM)
A sad ep one of sadness and one of joy, the sad part was when Pete was almost in tears in seeing his friend in a coma and he didn't know when he was going to come out of it, and the sadness when MacGyver had to leave his family behind. the joy when he finally woke up and pete was there holding his friends hand, it seemed MacGyver was able to move on with his life.

That's what I meant when I said their was a father/son connection between Mac and Pete. Pete was always their for Mac, and until Sam came along Mac was their for Pete.

I know way off topic.

PM                                                                     
macsgirl1
  Posted on 3 May 2009 - 05:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I agree Pete always stood by Mac even when his son was in trouble.
I wonder if Passages would have been even more of a tear jerker if Jack would have been there. hmm.bmp I think he would have decked Hakim for hurting mac; I know I would have. boxing.gif

Maybe Mac has a really hard head. headbutt.gif But as we all know MacGyver is like a Timex - He takes a licking and keeps on ticking. MacG.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 3 May 2009 - 05:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Maybe MacGyver is Swiss made. laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 4 May 2009 - 06:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 2 May 2009 - 06:13 AM)
Thats a real person falling on the car. blink.gif

It is, but I wonder if maybe the car is not real? Prepared so that it bends easily?

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 4 May 2009 - 08:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I don't know if that car was real or not. I've never seen anyone fall onto a car, or off of a building for that matter. It would have made more since to me if they had the ambulances one right behind the other. The paramedic with Mac would have called the ER with an update on his condition, including vital signs. I wish the would've done that.

It probably would have scared Pete to death, but that is what happens on a real life rescue call. Except now they use cell phones pre programed with the ER's phone number.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 4 May 2009 - 01:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Astra @ 5 May 2009 - 02:50 AM)
QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 2 May 2009 - 06:13 AM)
Thats a real person falling on the car. blink.gif

It is, but I wonder if maybe the car is not real? Prepared so that it bends easily?

I think it probably goes without saying that the car would be "rigged" for the stunt. Remove roofing beams, replace windows with stunt glass etc, and the stunt man would probably be wearing protective padding under the clothes too.

But even with all that work and setup. It's still a scary looking stunt and very realist.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macsgirl1
  Posted on 5 May 2009 - 08:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 5 May 2009 - 04:29 AM)
It would have made more since to me if they had the ambulances one right behind the other.  The paramedic with Mac would have called the ER with an update on his condition, including vital signs.  I wish the would've done that.

I completely agree with you on Mac's paramedic calling in, I wish too they would have done it. hmm.bmp Another thing is that when Pete talks to the doctor for the first time they would have said more of his injuries and condition. MacG.gif This episode would have made a good movie too. w00t.gif It would have been nice to see Pete help MacGyver through therapy and recovery. duct.gif

PM                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll