Mystery Solved!, The exact MacGyver jacket Revealed!!!
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Beachbead
Posted: 6 October 2011 - 09:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

wow thats alot of Jackets.

lexscape
Posted: 10 October 2011 - 05:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

The ebay transaction was reversed, since the buyer didn't like the way the leather smelled. All four of my Chevignon jackets came that way. I think it's just that particular leather. So...I now have all four jackets, again, and I plan on selling at least two.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 10 October 2011 - 11:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

sweet!

and... his loss.

What do they smell like? is it a musty smell?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
lexscape
Posted: 11 October 2011 - 12:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Yeah...that's a good description. I may box them up in newspaper and/or fabric softener for a few days and see if that minimizes it, but I'm pretty sure it's just the way that particular leather smells. Personally, it doesn't bother me. I wear mine all the time.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
angus20
Posted: 21 October 2011 - 05:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:all

Great collection, your room seems to be the "dressing room" of the MacGyver first season. clip.JPG

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
lexscape
Posted: 10 November 2011 - 07:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Here is the size Large (left) and Medium (right) side by side.

Attached Image
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 10 November 2011 - 09:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

Are the zippers intact with these ones? Any marks, tears etc? What sizes do they come in?

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 12 November 2011 - 07:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

Yeah, that looks like the MacGyver jacket. The same biggrin.gif

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 12 November 2011 - 04:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

If they are in perfect condition, with working zippers, I might be interested in buying the large one.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 12 November 2011 - 05:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I think people need to understand, these are antique jackets. They are probably at least 20 years old and second hand. Perfect condition isn't going to be an option.

Come on people. These are the real MacGyver jackets. The exact brand and style he wore in the show and this could well be the only chance you ever get to buy the real thing. Hell, I'd buy one right now if I lived in the US. Slight imperfections caused by wear and tear can only make it even more MacGyverish.

PM                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 14 November 2011 - 12:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

^of course I don't mean perfect as in no tears or creases. By perfect I mean actually wearable, and the zipper must be in working order. If it is, I'll buy one.
I wonder when lexscape is returning, because I am seriously considering buying one.

KiwiTek, why can't you buy one? I'm in Australia and if I am able to I'll buy one. I have never bought anything from the US though so it will be interested to see the difference in price, and postage.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
lexscape
Posted: 22 November 2011 - 04:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Hey Guys,

Actually, I've already sold those two jackets, so I'll only have the two extra larges, now, and I don't plan on selling those at the moment. I'll let you know if I find any more.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fellow Traveler
Posted: 8 February 2012 - 11:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:

So, does anyone know what kind of leather the original jacket is made from? Is it goatskin?

Regards, J.W.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 10 February 2012 - 05:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

Most leather jackets of this type made and worn in the US are cowhide.

Zipper hardware takes a major beating and is often first to fail. Likewise, the fabric lining of a good leather jacket will lose integrity and begin to shred while the leather is still good. Jackets can be relined and damaged zippers can be replaced; I've refurbished several vintage leather jackets, including one from the Korean War.

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Fellow Traveler
Posted: 12 February 2012 - 10:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Episode:

But I guess the Chevignon wasn't made in the U.S., as it's a French company. If the leather really is that super soft, as itis claimed to be, then I believe it might be goat: tough, soft and supple: perfect for an adventurer like Mac.

Regards, J.W.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SammyJoe
Posted: 9 March 2012 - 02:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Episode:Pilot + many other:)
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Have any of the real jackets that RDA actually wore during the show been ever sold or gotten to any fans collections?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fellow Traveler
Posted: 22 March 2012 - 12:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Do we know how many they actually had for the production? There were obviously two different jackets used by RDA and I think someone here mentioned that's because jacket #1 must have been destroyed beyond repair from all the abuse it had to take. Maybe they had a couple of stunt-jackets, but they wouldn't have to be 100% like Mac's. I never paid that much attention to the stunt jackets.
That leaves us with jacket #2. And unless there is an episode in which Mac had to destroy the jacket in order to save himself, that should still be around somewhere, I guess. Maybe in the costume department, maybe in RDA's closet.
It would be really interesting to find out about it's whereabouts!

Regards, J.W.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 22 March 2012 - 08:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (SammyJoe @ 10 March 2012 - 11:30 AM)
Have any of the real jackets that RDA actually wore during the show been ever sold or gotten to any fans collections?

Yes I've seen one of the black flight jackets with orange lining on ebay, complete with certificate of authentication.

PM                                                                     
Fellow Traveler
Posted: 22 March 2012 - 10:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Episode:

But I guess you didn't take a screenshot?

Regards, J.W.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Matt
Posted: 17 September 2012 - 02:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Deluxe Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:The Human Factor
House:  Second Loft

Hello everyone. I just joined MacGyver Online today and thought I would post a lot of the information I've obtained over the last few years searching for different G-2 jackets. If anyone has any questions regarding G-2 jackets such as general features compared to the Chevignon version or styles of fit from different brands etc, I can be of some help with this as I own a Gibson & Barnes Raider, several of the Avirex, Schott, and Scully versions, an Adam Spencer version, and a Taylor's Leatherwear G-2. I'll start by listing the brands I know of that have made this style of jacket. Some of these brands are much harder to find than others. Many do appear on eBay from time to time though. The reason I wanted to do this is so that it gives everyone who likes this style of jacket an even better chance of finding one to similar to the Chevignon on eBay.

1. Avirex (Have made G-2's with a tartan lining but I've yet to see one with the black and red like the Chevignon. Every time I've seen an Avirex with a lining like this, it has a been a combination of blue, teal, and green color. Someone posted a picture of a black one with this lining on one of the forums about the jacket some time ago and there is one available on eBay right now: ebay Avirex G-2

2. Schott
3. Adam Spencer
4. Reed Sportswear (Very similar to the Schott version.)
5. Cessna Planes Hangar 10 (Very similar to the Schott version.)
6. Gibson & Barnes
7. Q-Gar Leather Wingman (Similar to typical G-2, only this one has shoulder epaulets.)
8. Scully style 714-12 (Different versions of this jacket have been made over time. The earlier ones have a black square logo with Scully written in gold letters on the inside of the jacket where tags/size marking are normally located on a jacket while the newer ones have a white square logo with Scully written in gold letters. The earlier ones with the black logo have more of a slim fit and are not readily available anymore while the newer ones are a bit roomier.)
9. Taylor's Leatherwear (Similar to the Avirex G-2.)
10. Chevignon (They made other flight jackets also, many of which were similar but missing details such as the storm flap, plaid lining, etc.)
11. Jasper Air (Zipper pockets in the front like other G-2's, however it has shoulder epaulets, button closures on the end of the sleeves, and a ribbed waistband made of leather.)
12. Tobruk (Has the two zipper pockets on the same downward slant and dark knit cuffs & waistband like the Chevignon, but has an external storm flap with buttons at the bottom and the top near the collar typical of many leather jackets.

13. Carla's of New York. I saved this one for last because I found it only yesterday on eBay and for a second, literally thought I had found the actual Chevignon G-2 that Lexscape has. Carla's was a women's brand available in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. They made a jacket that was nearly identical to the Chevignon G-2. It even had the vertical zig zag stitching on the storm flap like the Chevignon. Better yet, the sizing in this jacket ran close to a man's size and could be unisex depending on the person. To put it in perspective, I'm 155 lbs and 5'10" and the size 6 would have almost fit me except for the sleeves being maybe an inch short. Has anyone heard of this brand? This is the link from when it was still for sale but one has to scroll down to see the picture since the auction is over: Carla G-2

In closing, I'd like to mention that the jacket I wear the most is one of the original versions by Scully since this is the closest to the Chevignon that I've found so far. The knit cuffs and waistband were light brown so I had them replaced with black. Also, I had the storm flap shortened and cut a bit to resemble the Chevignon one, along with a decorative zig zag stitch pattern added to it. I hope some of this is useful to someone. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and as I mentioned earlier, feel free to ask questions regarding these jackets or anything MacGyver related. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Matt on 17 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.

PM                                                                     
Matt
Posted: 25 September 2012 - 06:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Here are some examples of flight jackets by Chevignon that were for sale around the same time as Mac's G-2:

I considered bidding on this one but finally decided I'd rather save the money since it isn't really like the G-2 at all. Still, looks to be in great shape for its age.

Chevignon Bomber Jacket (eBay)

Here's a second one from eBay.fr that has the same type of slanted zipper pockets:

Chevignon Jacket 2

Third, is another from eBay.fr that is very distressed looking. It has almost the same patina that Mac's did right before they switched to that dark colored new G-2 in the later seasons.

Chevignon Jacket 3

This one is the kind that I mentioned in the above jacket brand info. post. While almost the same coat as Mac's G-2, it lacks the plaid lining and the storm flap is on the left side of the coat while Mac's had it on the right side. Also, the storm flap on this one is the much more common exterior style with a button at the bottom where the zipper starts and one at the top where the zipper meets the collar. The style of flap on Mac's coat is rare these days and the jackets that do have them usually have the flap stitched underneath the zipper all the way up the length of the coat to the collar; not the one that ends halfway up the coat like Mac's did.

Chevignon Jacket 4

As with the one directly above, this jacket is pretty close as well except once again it lacks the plaid lining and style of storm flap Mac's had.

Chevignon Bomber XL

I always check all the eBay sites. Many times, one can find many more Chevignon products by searching through eBay Italy, France, UK, etc. Even if you're just looking to find pictures and info. about the other types of jackets & products Chevignon made in the 80's or now, it's very helpful. Also, by using Google France sometimes there are jackets like this for sale on sites like the above priceminister.com etc.

PM                                                                     
Matt
Posted: 25 September 2012 - 04:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I meant to put this in above post, but I was curious as to whether anyone was interested in putting a MacGyver costume together based on what he looks like in the first issue of the comic series? If so, the jacket he has on looks a bit like the original Members Only bomber jackets:

Members Only Light Brown Bomber Jacket

The jacket in the above picture is a vintage one from the 80's and that particular color is no longer available unless one finds them on eBay, etc.

However, the company is still making these and the newer versions of this coat still come in a variety of colors. Here is one in a color the company calls "caramel" on their website. This is basically a dark brown. Here's a pic of it:

Members Only Caramel Jacket

Aside from the shoulder epaulets on this coat, its pretty close to the pics in the previews from "Fugitive Gauntlet." Any brown motorcycle jacket with a standup collar and button up neck strap would do the trick though. There are tons of coats like this out there.

PM                                                                     
Matt
Posted: 14 November 2012 - 04:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

MacGyver Online member SAK2 and I have been exchanging emails, discussing various brands that manufacture the G-2 jacket and I was told that the Hein Gericke leather company makes a G-2. I was not aware that they made a jacket like this until today. Many thanks to SAK2 for letting me know about this one biggrin.gif

There is one on eBay right now if anyone would like to see what they look like. Click the following link:
Hein Gericke G-2 Style Jacket

While a little different from the other G-2's, it still has the main features. It should be noted that these are motorcycle jackets too. SAK2 mentioned that they're heavy and very tough like other motorcycle jackets. I'm thinking the quality is similar to that of the now discontinued G-2 "Paris" jacket that can be seen here after scrolling down:
G-2 Paris Jacket

I used to have the Paris model and it is very heavy duty. Definitely a cold weather jacket.

PM                                                                     
lexscape
Posted: 24 January 2013 - 05:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Here's another live Ebay auction, but they want quite a bit for it. I think this is a size Large, but it's a Chevignon like the ones I have. Other than the style of the tag, it's the real deal. Looks like it's in Paris. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACKET-BLOUSON-CUI...281055322321%26

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 24 January 2013 - 07:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

That's a hell of a lot of money for a jacket!! surprise.gif

PM                                                                     
macgybl
Posted: 18 February 2013 - 06:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:The Survivors

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fellow Traveler
Posted: 19 February 2013 - 12:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Congrats! Let us see more pictures once you receive the jacket!

Regards, J.W.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fellow Traveler
Posted: 5 March 2013 - 11:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Has anyone ever asked the people at Gibson Barnes if they can make a Raider in a lighter color, not the two dark browns they offer? That might be an alternative.

Regards, J.W.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 5 March 2013 - 03:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

I own a SCHOTT version of Mac's bomber jacket. I'll post pictures soon (at work right now).

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Matt
Posted: 20 March 2013 - 01:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (lexscape @ 24 January 2013 - 08:09 PM)
Here's another live Ebay auction, but they want quite a bit for it. I think this is a size Large, but it's a Chevignon like the ones I have. Other than the style of the tag, it's the real deal. Looks like it's in Paris. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACKET-BLOUSON-CUI...281055322321%26

This one has been relisted a few times. Every time it ends there are no bidders. My guess is because of the price. The seller tends to lower the price every once in a while with each new listing. Last I saw it got down to around $600.00 US but there were still no bidders. I'd really rather not pay that much haha but this is the size I want and it appears to be in decent shape.

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll