Maintaining and using your SAK correctly.
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Mela_007
Posted: 7 March 2013 - 07:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I think I saw the Smith's sharpener on Amazon and I'm thinking about ordering it when I get my SAK. Are there different kinds of Smith sharpeners and are there any I should or should not get to sharpen my SAK? sak.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac1977
Posted: 7 March 2013 - 02:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: too many

Favorites
Episode:D.O.A.mac,widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep

I donĀ“t know about smith sharpeners, but I have fiskars roll-sharp and it works great for victorinox and wenger knives. macsak.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mr. C
Posted: 13 March 2013 - 08:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Kill Zone

I always use Break-Free CLP for oiling (works great on firearms, engines, other steel surfaces, etc.), and I am permanently hooked on my Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker.
The majority of my knives have been in use for years, but they all look brand new (some of my SAKS have scratches on the scales.. but don't they all eventually?).
I wipe down the tool that I use daily keeping it free of the wrong kinds of moisture. I oil them all about every 2-3 months if they've been in regular use.
I NEVER let a blade get dull.
Then again, I've been collecting all sorts of knives, multitools, and firearms for years and I take great pride in my collection (not to mention the money I spent on them... far too much to let them get messed up).
If you want a tool to be reliable, you have to maintain it properly. Even the best tools can work poorly if the user is poorly apt to cleaning it wink.gif

I want that knife back, you know?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 27 March 2013 - 10:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I just got my first real SAK!!! Hooray!! I got the Tinker for carrying in my pocket daily and the Swiss Champ Plus (and a case) that I will carry in my purse or backpack.

sakopen.gif happy_dance.gif

Best part is I have this thread at my disposal for knowing how to care for both of them!! clapping.gif

This post has been edited by Mela_007 on 27 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 27 March 2013 - 10:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

Hey congrats, Mela-007!!!! ^-^ lucky lucky lucky! Lol!

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 27 March 2013 - 12:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Thanks Yope! I've been carrying my tinker style knock-off (British Special Forces "Who Dares Wins") ever since MacGyver was originally airing on TV. It was what I could afford then. Besides, it's really well made and has lasted through the years.

I've been looking at the different SAKs for a while now trying to decide which one I wanted. I decided on 2 instead. One for carrying daily in my pocket, but also one with lots of cool gadgets that will be convenient to have along in a bag. I decided on the Tinker as the pocket version because the knock-off that I have is just about perfect for the tools it has.

It's kind of funny, I bought a Swiss Gear backpack for carrying my work laptop in because of the quality workmanship. It has a special red pocket that is designed to carry a SAK. Every other pocket on the bag is black, but that little long skinny pocket is red! I had thought to carry the Champ+ in that little pocket, but it's actually too big. So I will carry the knock-off in there so I can carry the SAK Tinker in my pocket. The clip leather case that I bought separately holds the Champ+ really well. I won't wear it most of the time, but it will be handy to clip into a bag for easy access.

swissopen.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 4 May 2013 - 09:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Adventurer

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Gold Rush, Invisible Killer

I use just hot soap water to clean my knives, as others have already said. As for oil, I chose mineral oil for a couple reasons. To start with, it's food safe. Normally I don't use my knives to cut up food, but I have opened packages, pealed apples and whatnot, and I don't like the idea of it potentially getting poisonous chemicals into what I'm eating. Next, I also feel it's safer handling a knife free of funny chemicals that other oils probably have in them. Things can be absorbed through your skin, remember. Mineral oil is also unscented, and will wash out of your pants pocket if it happens to get on them, more pluses. And last, I don't think you have to worry about it doing any harm to the plastic handles, where something like wd-40 just might over time.

And one last thing, a knife steel is an old fashioned thing left over from when blades were made of carbon steel that would rust, as opposed to stainless. A knife steel is only designed to straighten a bent edge, not actually sharpen a blade. I know people will rant until they're blue in the face how it does indeed "sharpen" their knives, but these individuals probably don't have truly sharp edge to compare it to. (And before anyone gets bent out of shape, just do a little research and see for yourself.)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 20 May 2013 - 12:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I have a question for you all. I have been using one of the blades on my Tinker a lot recently to cut tape opening boxes. So the residual glue is on the blade. Will just soap and water take that off properly? If not, any suggestions? sak.gif hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 20 May 2013 - 01:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Yes it will. Dish-washing liquid seems to be best.

Just give it a wash while your washing your other dishes.

The blades are high quality stainless steel so everything should just wash off with no problems in soapy water.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 21 May 2013 - 02:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Sweet! Thanks Kiwi! smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Drawz
Posted: 21 June 2013 - 10:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Observatory

QUOTE (Mela_007 @ 27 March 2013 - 02:06 PM)
Thanks Yope! I've been carrying my tinker style knock-off (British Special Forces "Who Dares Wins") ever since MacGyver was originally airing on TV. It was what I could afford then. Besides, it's really well made and has lasted through the years.

I've been looking at the different SAKs for a while now trying to decide which one I wanted. I decided on 2 instead. One for carrying daily in my pocket, but also one with lots of cool gadgets that will be convenient to have along in a bag. I decided on the Tinker as the pocket version because the knock-off that I have is just about perfect for the tools it has.

It's kind of funny, I bought a Swiss Gear backpack for carrying my work laptop in because of the quality workmanship. It has a special red pocket that is designed to carry a SAK. Every other pocket on the bag is black, but that little long skinny pocket is red! I had thought to carry the Champ+ in that little pocket, but it's actually too big. So I will carry the knock-off in there so I can carry the SAK Tinker in my pocket. The clip leather case that I bought separately holds the Champ+ really well. I won't wear it most of the time, but it will be handy to clip into a bag for easy access.

swissopen.gif

I've been thinking about getting a Vic. bag for a while, I like some of the ones I've looked at. I also looked at getting one of Victorinox's watches, but they're insanely expensive. Got a Timex instead. smile.gif

"Never go anywhere without a knife."
~L.J.G.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 15 January 2014 - 11:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Had a thorough look at this thread & would like to thank everyone for their useful feedback on taking care of your SAK. biggrin.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Matt
Posted: 20 January 2014 - 01:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Deluxe Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:The Human Factor
House:  Second Loft

QUOTE (denizen @ 16 January 2014 - 03:36 AM)
Had a thorough look at this thread & would like to thank everyone for their useful feedback on taking care of your SAK. biggrin.gif

I second that smile.gif Very nice being able to look at the info. here in one thread.

Walk in love, walk in service, and you will walk in honor.

PM                                                                     
Posted: 21 February 2014 - 03:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

yes thank you I may need this info in the future.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiniMacGyver
Posted: 29 October 2014 - 12:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Too many

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Thanks for all the info. I am wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in materials in vintage SAKs vs. the newer and how they hold up in everyday use. When did the change in materials take place from vintage to the newer in metals and tools? How do you clean, treat,sharpen vintage vs. the newer SAKs? Are there extreme differences?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac1977
Posted: 30 October 2014 - 12:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: too many

Favorites
Episode:D.O.A.mac,widowmaker

I have many vintage/new wenger and Victorinox knives and i dont see any differense in use between vintage or new materials. Only main blade is little thicker in vintage victorinox models and they have done some minor changes in few blades through the years. macsak.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 19 August 2015 - 09:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:

My knife blades are blunt...they've been that way since I was given it by my dad about thirty five years ago. ( I presume he gave it me that way on purpose as he didn't want to give a kid anything dangerous for fear mother would confiscate it, which she did anyway tongue.gif)

Anyhow, mother had the knife all those years tucked away and forgotten until I asked about it when I started watching Mac. I thought she'd have tossed it, but nope, it's here and needs sharpening.

What's the best thing to use on it, if the blades are just blunt, not damaged, and how do I use whatever I need to do the trick?

Cheers! smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 19 August 2015 - 12:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

You could try using a sharpening steel (like chefs etc use in the kitchen) if that doesn't work you could use a sharpening stone.

If you have a little electric sharpener, that would to too, but I've always found the sharpening stone and steel I use to keep my kitchen knives sharp works fine.

Note: A steel keeps the edge on a sharp knife but wont actually sharpen a blunt knife. To sharpen you need a stone or other sharpening device to actually grind the blade to an edge.

PM                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 19 August 2015 - 12:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Would one of those V shaped things do it as its definitely blunt? Dad was a trucker, so he could have been cutting anything with it lol! I've never done this before, obviously...

Cheers

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 19 August 2015 - 05:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

Thanks for this post....it's really helpful as I've several SAK's and have always winged it as far as maintenance goes.

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 19 August 2015 - 07:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacsJeep @ 20 August 2015 - 08:38 AM)
Would one of those V shaped things do it as its definitely blunt?

Some people swear by these V shaped things... I swear at them.

But if you have one and you know how to use it, it should work fine.

PM                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 20 August 2015 - 09:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I don't have one, and I definitely don't know how to use one. I'm just trying to figure out what's best to get. So you'd go with a stone? How do you use them?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 20 August 2015 - 12:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Here's a fairly basic guide on knife sharpening with a stone.

And here's a more in-depth explanation and demonstration about knife sharpening from Victorinox themselves.

PM                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 20 August 2015 - 06:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

Those videos are pretty much spot on. It's pretty easy to mess up a good blade if you aren't careful. I just sent back a SAK Sportsman that I found, abused and neglected, to Victorinox to have it refitted. I could have rode the edge of the blade to England it was that messed up. Just take it slow and easy. sak.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 21 August 2015 - 09:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

They make it look really easy, which I'm sure its not! Right, off to look for a stone...

Thank you! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Scorpion Regent
Posted: 17 June 2016 - 07:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Various

Favorites
Episode:

When I get a used knife for the first time I give it a through blast with automotive brake spray to dissolve any built up gunk. Next I will go at it with cotton swabs and toothpicks to get out any stubborn dirt and lint. The final lubrication depends on if I will be using the knife right regularly. If it's a 'go to' knife I'll oil it with Marvelous Mystery oil. If it's going into a drawer then I'll grease it with Sil-glyde silicone compound.

Warning: brake spray is a aggressive chemical that may discolor plastic parts and pose health risks, so use with discretion.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
beth
Posted: 23 October 2017 - 05:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Mountaineer

Favorites
Episode:

I always use a stone to sharpen my SAK. My dad taught me how to use a sharpening stone when I was around 10 so I could sharpen my pocket knife that I carried when camping with my girl scout troop.

Remember to always wet the sharpening stone before honing the blade of your knife. Otherwise you will ruin your stone.

Beth

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macgyverdino
Posted: 11 May 2018 - 02:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyverOnline @ 21 April 2009 - 12:17 PM)
Maintaining your SAK

We all know that over time our SAKs suffer from wear and tear, and become harder to open and close.

Here's a little tip from Victorinox on how to remedy that problem and keep your SAK working at optimum condition.
It's recommended that you follow this precess every 6-12 months depending on how often you use your knife.

user posted image
Note: I would say any standard 3-in-1 "sewing machine" type, or small parts oil would work for this.

Correct use of the can opener function
user posted image

Screw Driver blade function
user posted image

Basic Swiss Army Knife functions
user posted image

Don't open multiple blades at once

As you can see in the below picture, the spring is actually a solid piece of stainless steel which can be
permanently bent by having more than one blade open at a time due to the way the blades apply pressure
and bend the spring in various points even though Victorinox themselves dispute this we have heard many
stories of people's knives not functioning properly after opening too many blades at once.

user posted image

Very interesting, Thanks for sharing this!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll