Mac a vegetarian?, started by BlueIce Sep 27 2006
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Was MacGyver Vegetarian or just a Healthy Eater?
Healthy Eater [ 20 ]  [95.24%]
Vegetarian [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Kate Mackay
Posted on 25 March 2007 - 05:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Camper Red

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat

Hi Rocky:

OKAY, Okay , I gotcha on that . I am guilty as charged that he does eat meat . " The Gauntlet " is the perfect example. I thank you for posting those pics to show me . Thank you very much .

Sincerely,
Kate Mackay

PMEmail PosterYahooMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 26 March 2007 - 07:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Good quality screenshots.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MEP
Posted on 26 March 2007 - 03:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 26 March 2007 - 12:11 PM)
Good quality screenshots.

MG is that all you care about tongue.gif

but those are good shoots.

MacGyverGod
Posted on 27 March 2007 - 07:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

MG is that all you care about

And the food looks good too. But I'm not so fond anymore at broiled chicken.
Lizzard is however something I never tried.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 27 March 2007 - 11:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

I would have tried the lizard! I'm always for trying everything. If I had been in the woods with Mac I wouldn't have gone "Eewww!!" about it.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MEP
Posted on 27 March 2007 - 08:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

MG you should know by now I need to pick on you form time to time. tongue.gif

Astra if I was in the woods with Mac I also would not be going EEWWW but.......

Houston we have a problem my brain has gone gutter. headbutt.gif

trtlsoup
Posted on 24 July 2007 - 12:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad

Admin note:This topic was moved from the things Mac ate thread

Was it actually stated that MacGyver was a vegetarian? Or just a health food nut? Because I'm seeing his eating habits are all over the place. unsure.gif

I know he's not a vegan... So,

"What is a Vegetarian?"

Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, and poultry. Vegans are vegetarians who abstain from eating or using all animal products, including milk, cheese, other dairy items, eggs, wool, silk, and leather. Among the many reasons for being a vegetarian are health, ecological, and religious concerns, dislike of meat, compassion for animals, belief in non-violence, and economics. The American Dietetic Association has affirmed that a vegetarian diet can meet all known nutrient needs. The key to a healthy vegetarian diet, as with any other diet, is to eat a wide variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, plenty of leafy greens, whole grain products, nuts, seeds, and legumes.

http://www.vrg.org/index.htm
(That kinda sounds like the definition of Veganism) huh.gif

Veganism (also strict or pure vegetarianism) is a philosophy and lifestyle that seeks to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Vegans do not use or consume animal products of any kind. The most popular reasons for becoming a vegan are concerns for animal rights, the environment, or human health, and spiritual or religious concerns. Of particular concern are the practices involved in factory farming and animal testing, and the intensive use of land and other resources required for animal farming.

That's from Wikipedia... not always correct, but this sounds right on the money for a description.

"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 24 July 2007 - 12:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Heres the answer I've just added to our FAQ page

MacGyver has never claimed to be any specific kind of food consumer.

The only time vegetarian was ever implied was at the end of Walking Dead? When Mama Lorraine tells MacGyver that she told the gods he was Vegetarian so he wouldn't have to sacrifice a goat to them.

As you rightly pointed out, just listing his eating habits from the episodes proves that he is definitely a healthy eater, who leans towards the vegetarian foods, but doesn’t seem to have an issue eating white meats. (some vegetarians do include white meats in their diets)

In previous discussions on this topic it’s been suggested that over time MacGyver’s eating habits changed. This is a very likely scenario. We see him eating more meat in the earlier episodes, and then as we move through the seasons his eating gets healthier and we see him eating salads and vegetarian type foods.

We know the character of MacGyver changed through the 7 year show, so it would make sense that his eating habits would follow suit and change as well.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted on 24 July 2007 - 01:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Good point.

I think also vegetarianism has changed over the years... (I don't know anything about it... but a friend was a vegetarian and her eating habits didn't seem so strict when was a teen) Hmmm... hmm.bmp

---

Ahhh, just read the FAQ again, and working on the "Mac a vegetarian?" thread.

Thanks Rocky! notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by trtlsoup on 24 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

MacNymph
Posted on 24 July 2007 - 02:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

At some point Mac said coffee didn't sit right in his stomach. Or someone said it about him. Maybe he's diet changed with age due to intestinal problems. Maybe the man had ulcers. Or high blood pressure. Or high cholesterol and his doctor told him to try and eat more healthy.

"Harry used to say 'Eatin healthy never hurt anybody.'"

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 24 July 2007 - 07:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (MacNymph @ 22 March 2007 - 04:06 PM)
w00t.gif How and the heck did this thread get on to McDonalds? 

Mmmmmmm.... Strawberry Shake.  huh.gif oops  blush.gif

(strawberry shake... 93 ingredients, not one of which is strawberries)

Yep, it's true. Same goes for Dairy Queen.

It should actually be called Soy Queen 'cause that's what it is. And soy is actually NOT that good for you, contrary to popular belief! (It's high in plant estrogens... which means an increased risk of breast cancer for us gals.)

Though I WILL give DQ credit for using real strawberries! (I worked at DQ for awhile, so I quickly learned which of their ingredients are the real thing and which are not. I also heard about the soy thing from a friend of my mom's who is a psychiatrist and an expert on nutrition, particularly as it affects the brain.)

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Janet Marie
  Posted on 2 September 2007 - 12:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:Pilot

From what RDA puts on his website, I think in real life he is somewhat of a vegetarian. I think its great that an individual is able to do this. I think he displays this in many of his episodes. Janet Marie

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted on 3 September 2007 - 07:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Janet Marie @ 2 September 2007 - 05:10 PM)
From what RDA puts on his website, I think in real life he is somewhat of a vegetarian. I think its great that an individual is able to do this. I think he displays this in many of his episodes.  Janet Marie

Not so much a vegeterian as eating healthy. I can't remember the interview, but he was asked if he was a vegetarian, and he said no. *shrug* Although the meal he described sounded awfully GOOD! happy.gif

MacBeth
Posted on 4 September 2007 - 12:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle

I finally wandered through this thread -- waay back in its first incarnation, someone asked about this:

Someone wrote a great short story in which the main character creates a machine that can render all sound audible to the human ear. One day, he tests his machine in a park where a gardner is pruning. The inventor hears the plants shriek as they're cut. Knowing that even plants feel pain, the inventor slowly succumbs to maddness. Great story, wish I could find it again!

The story is titled "The Sound Machine", and it's by Roald Dahl. Dahl is primarily known now for being the author of the Willy Wonka stories and "James and the Giant Peach" -- his adult fiction, on the other hand, is pretty demented. (Although I love it, personally.)

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 4 September 2007 - 06:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

Dahl is amazing!

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 4 September 2007 - 06:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory

Dahl is primarily known now for being the author of the Willy Wonka stories and "James and the Giant Peach"

And don't forget "George's Marvelous Medicine"- our teacher read that to us in the 3rd. grade! Great book! And I also later read "The BFG"- that's another good one. Roald Dalhl's also got an autobiography called "Boy" that's really cool too. smile.gif

PM                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 01:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Did MacGyver ever litterally claimed to be a vegetarian?
I've always thought he was not noticing the inconsitencies (how on earth is this word spelled) when he ate lizard or chicken.

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 02:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

MacGyver has never claimed to be any specific kind of food consumer.

The only time vegetarian was ever mentioned was at the end of Walking Dead? When Mama Lorraine tells MacGyver that she told the gods he was Vegetarian so he wouldn't have to sacrifice a goat to them.

Listing his eating habits from the episodes proves that he is definitely a healthy eater, who leans towards the vegetarian type foods, but doesn’t seem to have an issue eating white meats. (some vegetarians do include white meats in their diets, so this doesn’t prove anything either)

In previous discussions on this topic it’s been suggested that over time MacGyver’s eating habits changed. This is probably the most likely scenario. We see him eating more meat in the earlier episodes, and then as we move through the seasons his eating gets healthier and we see him eating salads and vegetarian type foods.

We know the character of MacGyver changed through the 7 year show, so it would make sense that his eating habits could follow suit and change as well.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 02:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

QUOTE (MacBeth @ 4 September 2007 - 05:09 PM)
The story is titled "The Sound Machine", and it's by Roald Dahl.

Thank you!

I'm not surprised that it's by Roald Dahl, sounds like his kind of story! I love his books.

Mac

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 02:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 5 September 2007 - 06:39 AM)
MacGyver has never claimed to be any specific kind of food consumer. (snip)

Listing his eating habits from the episodes proves that he is definitely a healthy eater, who leans towards the vegetarian type foods, but doesn’t seem to have an issue eating white meats. (snip)

In previous discussions on this topic it’s been suggested that over time MacGyver’s eating habits changed.

Rocky said it all. biggrin.gif Watching MacGyver, I actually see my own eating habits and evolution thereof. I can't believe the number of people who call me a 'vegetarian' when I happily chow down on fish and seafood (and the once every three or four years odd bite of chicken or reptile). Coffee's something I used to have everyday but almost never have now because aging has affected my digestive system.

So, all that to say that we can garner a lot about Mac's eating habits from the show, but it'd be nonsensical to pin a label on him. Some people are clearcut vegetarians and vegans, some not so much. Mac obviously enjoys a healthy, varied diet that works for him.

'the other Mac'

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 06:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Thanks Rock! I've been going over all episodes trying to find out where they mentioned he was a veggie (I always got distracted from my mission)

MacBeth
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 11:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I made my first Californian friends in the early 1980's, in college; at the time, there was an easily identifiable subspecies, the Californian Health Food Nut. When the series came out and that aspect of the character started to be developed, I simply assumed that Mac was intended to be one. It seemed to be part of the overall theme of MacGyver being good-as-James-Bond-but-really-the-opposite: didn't drink or smoke, didn't drive a sports car or carry a gun, said ouch when hit, didn't need to chase the girls biggrin.gif , fixed his own meals, ate healthy food when he had the chance to choose and ate whatever was available when the pickings were slim.

It really contributed to the feeling that the character was grounded in reality and human vulnerability -- and it was a good theme for comic moments, especially between MacGyver and Pete.

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

lucky charley
  Posted on 10 August 2008 - 02:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: swiss champ

Favorites
Episode:jennys chance

I don't think MacGyver is a vegetarian he ate lizard in the episode the guntlet
javascript:emoticon(':open:')
smiliejavascript:emoticon(':sak:')
smiliejavascript:emoticon(':rofl:')
smilie

Meddle with the dirt and some of it will stick to you.
Do it NOW! today will yesterday tomorrow.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
lucky charley
  Posted on 10 August 2008 - 02:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

this should be proof enough that mac is just a healthy eater I got this from MacGyver online MacGyvers menu
FOOD

EPISODE
Alfalfa sprout sandwich Eraser
Apple Heist
Last Stand
A prisoner of Conscience
total of 3 occasions up to--)
Bayou Blackened Red Fish (burnt) Family Matter
Bean curd Eraser
Bread Children of Light (opens for Mei Jan)
The Stringer (gives to Sam)
Broiled Chicken (refered to eating as a child) Golden Triangle
Carrot Target MacGyver (opening gambit)
Cheeseburgers (asked if anyone wanted to order) Family Matter
Chewing gum Hellfire
Chicken - Phillipe's Jack in the Box
Chili Thief of Budapest
Chinese food, egg rolls in Out in the Cold.
Chocolate bar Pilot, Bushmaster
Chocolate ice cream Thief
Coffee Pilot
Last Stand
Twice Stung
Silent World
total of 7 occasions up to--)
Eggnogg (non-alcoholic) Phoenix under Siege
Egg roll Enemy Within
Out in the Cold
Second chance
Fish Final Approach
Ghost ship
Target MacGyver
Ginger ale The Eraser
h'orderve The Heist - during the 'exhibition scene'
Indian food Silent World
Lizard The Gauntlet
Milk Slow Death
The Eraser
Split Dicision (was all drunk by Earl Dent)
Mountain Trout with wild mushrooms and pinenuts Final Approach
Orange Runners
The Widowmaker
Orange juice Prodigal
Runners
Pan cakes
"my world famous" - cooked by MacGyver Runners
Pizza -Hawaiian with pineapple The Wall. (Didn't eat it though)
Popcorn Deadly Silents & Soft touch
Popsicle (orange flavor) The Secret of Parker House.
Prison food The Escape
Proteïn shake The Negotiator
Rations (Jerky &bread) Bushmaster
Rattlesnake (that takes care of lunch!) Final Approach
Red wine (didn't like it though) The Heist
Roast lamb sandwich Slow Death
Roast lizard The Gauntlet
Salad Runners
Sandwich - unknown type food (Phil's Diner) DOA:MacGyver
Salad (with housedressing) The Endangered.
Smoothie
(oj, strawberries, another berry, banannas,protien powder) The Stringer
Soda/cola of some kind Prodigal
Soup (unknown flavour) Harry's Will.
Stew Trumbo's world (opening gambit)
Strawberries GX-1
Stuffed olives The Eraser
Tea (hot) stringer
Tofu Out in the Cold (cooked)
The Stringer (refered to by Sam)
Tomato juice Heist
High Control
Trail mix GX-1
Virgin Mary w/ celery tomato juice with tobasco) The Heist
Water Trial of tears
Yogurt The Eraser, Runners (in fridge)
MacG.gif duct.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 10 August 2008 - 07:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Um, Charley, this is MacGyver Online -- I believe that's our own list, which was compiled by the people on this forum: especially Lothithil, who has been doing comprehensive lists by season.

Speaking of which, Lothi, we still need your lists for the last two seasons! There was a great kitchen scene in "The Stringer", but I don't remember him eating anything else that season except for popcorn in "Deadly Silents".

Beth

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Lothithil
Posted on 10 August 2008 - 07:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

*looks up guiltily from her Stargate marathon*

Oh! I guess I better get back to work! wink.gif

user posted image

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

lucky charley
Posted on 14 August 2008 - 12:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

WHATS WITH THE MOUSE!

ph34r.gif blowup.gif blowup.gif matchs.JPG

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacDriver
Posted on 14 August 2008 - 01:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Episode:The Heist

Even if he did have "convictions" about meat consumption, I think he was down-to-earth about it enough to eat meat when he was in the wild and had to survive, or when he was in company that would've felt awkward. My best friend's gf is a vegetarian, and there's definitely tension when we all BBQ. A lot of people just try to avoid meat as much as they can, unlike some flaming vegetarians who would dramatically starve to death before they'd eat meat to survive. Obviously, Mac wasn't like that.

"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 August 2008 - 01:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

mouse?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 14 August 2008 - 02:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

QUOTE (Rocky)
mouse?

I think he's referring to this...
user posted image
... what those in 'the business' call a "wild-take" LOL! happy.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll