Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

I'll finish this one first. I still have The Green Mile, The Langoliers/Secret Window and Dr. Sleep to read and probably I will read It in between. But I also had like other books in mind like Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park and The Lost World and Schindler's List. I might read Meg too but probably after I've seen the movie.

Children of the Corn, I might need to look out for and Pet Semetary probably too.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 15 April 2018 - 08:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Jacket:  Brown bomber

Crichton's Jurassic books are very good. First in particular. Yes Pet Cemetery is a good one too. Enjoy! biggrin.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 12 June 2018 - 06:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Finished Needful Things a couple of weeks ago and now I'm nearing the end of Independence Day by Stephen Molstadt. It's just the novelization of the book with photos from the movie inside, fun and nice quick read. It's also like 278 pages long, way shorter then Needful Things with it's 616 pages.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 13 June 2018 - 03:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

And finished it. Next: Jurassic Park.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 13 June 2018 - 11:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

Jurassic Park is actually one of the few books I ever read. Fantastic book!

If you like scary books, Phantoms by Dean Koontz is pretty good. It scared my Dad. lol

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 13 June 2018 - 08:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

On the subject of Stephen King, I managed to finally find me a copy of 11.22.63. Only just started reading but so far so very good! This is apparently one of his good ones which tells the story of time travel and the consequences thereof.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 14 June 2018 - 04:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I really need to read his Dark Tower series. According to my sister, they explain a lot of the lore in his books. I really should read more often, but I often end up daydreaming for some odd reason.

It takes forever for me to finish a book because I'm always letting my mind wander. blink.gif

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 14 June 2018 - 06:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle

QUOTE (denizen @ 13 June 2018 - 11:26 PM)
On the subject of Stephen King, I managed to finally find me a copy of 11.22.63. Only just started reading but so far so very good! This is apparently one of his good ones which tells the story of time travel and the consequences thereof.

Speaking of Time Travel, I recently read Time Traveling with a Hamster by Ross Welford. It tells the story of twelve-year-old Al Chaudhury, who receives a letter from his late father, instructing him to use his dad's secret time machine to travel back and prevent his dad's death. The problem? Al's family has moved since then, and the time machine is at their old house. So to accessing it requires sneaking out of the house, breaking into his old house's garage, and more. Add that to the fact that Al has no clue how best to prevent his dad's death without screwing everything else up...

It was an okay book, but I doubt I'll be reading it again. Without giving too much away, the ending was... Not what I was expecting. And I think the thing that bothered me most was some of the inappropriate dialogue throughout the story. Some cursing, and some sexual references were in what is supposed to be a children's story. Personally, the fact that it's for children is the reason this bothers me so much. But to be fair, it was published in the U.K., which, I believe, has different censorship laws than the U.S. The story was pretty good other than these two complaints. I guess I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars? (Which for me means, "okay, but not great").

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 2 July 2018 - 05:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Jurassic Park turns out to be a real page-turner. Lots of research done by Crichton and a lot of scientific explanations without making it too difficult to understand. I think MacGyver would read Crichton's books. Every now and than the books shows calculations, actual computer prints and graphics to explain stuff. Of course the book is extended on a whole lot more matters than the movie. Wu has a larger role for example, the ages of the kids are different, more animals on the island, Gennaro also has a larger role and Ed Regis is one of several characters who does not appear in the film. But like I said, it reads like a train. I'm past the 200 pages now and T-Rex has attacked the kids in the car. Also a little different in the movie, but it's worth a read.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 2 July 2018 - 08:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I read Jurassic Park back in the day. In fact i read it back to back with Congo. Congo was also good. The Lost World was not as good but also different to its movie parallel. Another great Crichton novel is Timeline. That was fantastic and FAR superior to the film.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 3 July 2018 - 08:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I remember Mom and Dad used to read a lot of Michael Crichton back in the day... Andromeda Strain is a good one too.

They liked John Grisham as well. I remember The Client being a bit deal, especially when the movie came out.

I miss the 1990's... there was some excellent books back then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 3 July 2018 - 06:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

Me too Jedi smile.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 3 July 2018 - 08:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I suspect it has a lot to do with the lack of ideas people seem to carry forth.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 4 July 2018 - 09:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

John Grisham is more about court-stuff. A Time To Kill is a nice example of that. The movie at least.

I don't think it's a lack of ideas but at this point different writers are in order. JK Rowling, the writers of Twilight and Hunger Games, The Maze Runner... young adult stuff is now more popular then before. Also Nicholas Sparks and Nora Roberts are popular. Back in the 90's it were writers like Crichton, Grisham, Tom Clancy and Stephen King. Both Crichton and Clancy have passed away. Out of these four writers King is the most popular one and the most active. Though Grisham keeps writing but I don't think anyone would be interested in adapting them into a movie.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 4 July 2018 - 09:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

You can see it in everything today... movies, tv, music... etc. etc.

People stick to formulas that work, but people, like myself, get tired of the same thing over and over again.

I can respect new ideas, even if they don't do so well. As a writer myself, trying to be original and make it good is always difficult. It takes a level of balance I simply don't have.

I have had the same book idea for about... 25 years. I've attempted to write it over and over and over again. Anytime I think I'm getting somewhere, I'm always told it was done already, so I have to scrap and start over. It's very frustrating to try and be original, and still make it interesting. It takes a balance I haven't really learned yet.

Eventually I'll get there. My sister and I have often thought about going into writer together, but our ideas don't really mesh anymore.

For instance, my book is a SciFi/horror/dark comedy. She wanted me to write some western travel story about her experiences with her mother in law.

So frustrating... lol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 4 July 2018 - 12:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Jedi, never let yourself be influenced of opinions by others. Simply write your book and try. If it doesn't work convert it into a Mac-fic. Just try it or else it'll tear you up.

There was a time I considered myself a great fanfiction-writer, writing these big action/adventures with MacGyver as the hero. I don't care if it wasn't original or good. I simply wrote it as I saw fit. That's what mattered. Write a story, write action sequences, even find music to fit the story. In the end I only wrote 2 maybe 3 stories I considered original. The first one Family in Agony, was really thought up from scratch. Suddenly I saw the whole story and wrote it down. MacGyver gets married to Maria Romburg, she gets kidnapped and he has to rescue her in Brazil from Murdoc, Zito and Deborah. Lost Gold In The Ocean was about a freighter that blew up at the coast of Miami while MacGyver is on holiday with Sam and myself and with Mike and Marcus from Bad Boys we would go look for it to keep it away from the Von Leer Brothers who wanted to sell it at the black market. It was a MacGyver/Bad Boys crossover. A True Prisoner of Conscience was a Family In Agony rewrite with the adding of Axminster and Piedra and taking the story into space even with too many movies references. When The World Changes was set in World War II. MacGyver is out to save the world from the Nazis but writing big battles sequences is pretty difficult. And lastly Friendship Broken Apart, a bit on the short side. MacGyver loses Pete in a battle with Murdoc and Nikki sort of helps him through his grief.

Now I'm trying to reconnect with my writings by continuing Children of the United Nations, the one story I actually intended after my first one and loosley based on an old video game because I simply want to write again. My timeline helped in that I guess. To again feel what it was like to write, to see an entire story from beginning to end and to go through it when writing it. I actually feel like rewriting them and to write a whole new story. And I don't care what others think, I don't intend to have them read it. I write for the fans of the show and because I want too. That's what matters.

Everybody is a critic but that shouldn't hold you down into trying to write a book or fanfics. Give it go, Jedi. Write your scifi/horror/dark comedy. Try to get it published and then see. Otherwise just pop up it up the internet or like I said convert it into a Mac-fic.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 4 July 2018 - 05:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

Jedi, you got this! I know you can write a wonderful story. Remember the hardest step is the first one, especially if you are blazing your own trail.

Now, you're in a great bunch of people here, so show us what you got! thumbsup.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 4 July 2018 - 08:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Back in the day when i had the time to do creative stuff like write, i used to hit many dead ends but used that as a challenge to do something fun. Upon reading what i had, although outrageous at times, it just worked which is what makes you, not the story, original. That in turn makes your idea unique. And no. Nothing is quite original these days. But one thing that makes a good story or a film etc are the surprises that keep you glued to your seat. And the emotions that are expressed.

I recently saw the film the Greatest Showman starring Hugh Jackman and the first 5 minutes of that film had me stuck to my seat. Its these little surprises that can excite your audiences regardless of whatever medium you choose to express it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 5 July 2018 - 05:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Thanks for the support guys. happy.gif I appreciate it.

To kinda go with what you said MacGod, my OC's are actually test characters. I have big plans for Corinne and Charlotte. Eventually they will be removed out of fanfics and become something more original. I just wanted to see how well they were received by writing them the way I wanted to write them.

And believe me, I don't really listen to people a lot. The people I do listen to are close friends. They like the idea, but it's the details I'm trying to hammer out. Like origin story and things like that. I always pass it with them to make sure it makes sense or doesn't seem like a direct copy of something else. My friends want to see me succeed.

But Corinne and Charlotte are so much more than just fanfic OC's. They're a life long dream that has evolved over the years, inspired by the things I love. So, hopefully, one day, they'll have their own story. My one friend is an aspiring director and has already claimed the movie rights. XD

So, be prepared for more Corinne and Charlotte in upcoming Mac fanfics. wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 22 July 2018 - 04:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Finished Jurassic Park couple of days ago and immediately started on The Lost World.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
ebonaskavi
Posted: 22 July 2018 - 06:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites

Just finished First Frontier by Diane Carey and James I Kirkland. It's a Star Trek (Original series) novel with dinosaurs tongue.gif . One of my favorites. biggrin.gif

Dreams are important, otherwise sleep is just eight hours of nothing.

I call it an obstacle course. Some of the others call it MacGyverland.

Must have duct tape ... Lots of duct tape.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 22 July 2018 - 09:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Sounds good and welcome back ebonaskavi!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 23 July 2018 - 08:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (ebonaskavi @ 22 July 2018 - 09:29 PM)
Just finished First Frontier by Diane Carey and James I Kirkland. It's a Star Trek (Original series) novel with dinosaurs tongue.gif . One of my favorites. biggrin.gif

The James I Kirkland name kinda gave that away XD

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 28 July 2018 - 03:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I've been rereading The Last Dogs series by Christopher Holt.

The series follow Max the lab, Rocky the dachshund, and Gizmo the yorkie as they travel to find their missing owners, who have disappeared. Strangely enough, all the humans in the world have been evacuated, and the three dogs are determined to find out what made them all leave, and to find their missing humans. But the road is long and dangerous, and it will take all their efforts to survive and reunite with their families.

Technically, this is considered a children's series, but it's not exactly a fluffy, cute bunch of books. It's got plenty of content for older readers, and touches on a lot of themes that would not be suitable for a sensitive, younger child. Boy, what I could say about the "doggie communism" touched on in the first book...

But it isn't a constantly dark, hopeless, sad read either. It shows plenty of good themes, like perseverance and loyalty.

And Gizmo reminds me a lot of Penny Parker sometimes. At least when she gets excited. And there is a wolf villain who is like Murdoc. Like, uncannily similar. laugh.gif

Even though I read this series before, I still get emotional reading them again.

Speaking of content for older readers, my mom actually got more attached to this series than I did, at first. She said she'd buy and read the second book with or without me laugh.gif

Sorry for rambling, I couldn't help it. And I have yet to find another fan of these books to freak out with, so I'm lonely. Really lonely. dry.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 29 July 2018 - 02:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

The Lost World is way different then the movie. If differs a lot more of the movie than Jurassic Park did. I'm over 100 pages far and nothing of that was seen in the movie. Also a lot of characters weren't in the movie that are in the book like Richard Levine and Jack Thorne. Currently only Malcolm, Sarah Harding, Kelly and Eddie Carr are the only ones that were seen in the movie. Sarah Harding has short black hair while in the movie it was long and red (Julianne Moore). Kelly isn't black like she was in the movie but she did have a black friend in the book and Eddie Carr is in his early twenties instead of being in his early forties. The closest that came to the movie was maybe the preparations of the trailers they take with them to the island. It's also a little less of page turner. The pace seems slower while Jurassic Park was really flipping pages. I wonder how it'll turn out, the characters are now on their way to Isla Sorna, so I'll see how things turn out there.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 30 July 2018 - 05:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

So, after several weeks of rereading (though only two days after I posted that I started), I finished The Last Dogs. And yeah, I got all choked up again, reading the last bit. I'm such a sap, tongue.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyver85
Posted: 30 July 2018 - 06:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Each one as I watch it!
House:  Loft

I looked to see if the library I go to has that series. They don't. sad.gif I was gonna see if I liked them

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 31 July 2018 - 09:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyver85 @ 30 July 2018 - 09:09 PM)
I looked to see if the library I go to has that series. They don't. sad.gif I was gonna see if I liked them

That's too bad sad.gif The libraries near me have all of them.

PM                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 31 July 2018 - 08:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Can't really recall the last time i stepped into a library. It's been ages. Though the world changed with all these digital subscriptions they now offer on Amazon etc...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 1 August 2018 - 02:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

But isn't renting a book the same as renting a movie? Like totally out of fashion in this day and age.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll