Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Giving to needy people has always been a debatable topic for me. Mainly because there is no way to ascertain whether they are really in need or just taking a chance. I see deceit in this area all the time, such as people acting like they are handicapped and when the day is over, they brisk-fully head home alas miracle cure.

If i can see someone is really struggling, they dont make it obvious or ask for change, or there is something about them that i feel needs assistance in some way, i will lend a hand.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
beth
Posted: 8 November 2017 - 08:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Mountaineer

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:

QUOTE (denizen @ 8 November 2017 - 07:58 PM)
Giving to needy people has always been a debatable topic for me. Mainly because there is no way to ascertain whether they are really in need or just taking a chance. I see deceit in this area all the time, such as people acting like they are handicapped and when the day is over, they brisk-fully head home alas miracle cure.

If i can see someone is really struggling, they dont make it obvious or ask for change, or there is something about them that i feel needs assistance in some way, i will lend a hand.

I felt good about the fact that I tried to make someones day a little better. It just would have been nice to get a "thank you" instead of an "is that all?".

Beth

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 8 November 2017 - 09:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I think if everyone tried to make someone smile everyday, the world would really be a better place. biggrin.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 9 November 2017 - 12:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker

Hi Barry

Sometimes a 'Smile' is all it takes to make someone feel better. I am a regular 'Smile' giver and you can tell when it's worked because you often get a smile back. It is psychologically proved that smiling makes people feel better. It's what Mac did when he made the 'hanky doll' - it cost him very little and yet the smile he got made it all worthwhile. Sometimes it's attitude that makes the difference. Did you open the door for a struggling mum and a pushchair, did you move to one side when you saw someone with a white stick, did you smile at the lone senior citizen who thought they were out shopping, unacknowledged and lonel? As I am sure we all do (we are after all Mac fans), I do all of the above and I think what goes around, comes around.

I came home from the city last night on using the rail network with a very heavy case. I had a full 'up and over' bridge to negotiate at the last station and a great chap grabbed one side of the bag and helped me over. I gave him a huge thank you and made sure that he heard me tell my father that he'd helped me - mind you given the weight of the bag he might have regretted the decision, but it made my day and I hope he felt it worthwhile to have volunteered.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 9 November 2017 - 04:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

You guys should watch the movie Pay it Forward, in case you never saw it.
user posted image

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 9 November 2017 - 05:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I'm generally a friendly person, though I'll have days where I don't want to be bothered. I always try to be nice to people regardless. I've been used before (long story), so I'm very careful about my money. I don't usually have much to spare folks... if any.

Instead, I donate to charities. That way I know the money is being used properly. I'm very picky about who I support as well. Because of my job, I know the people that run the local community programs... likes food pantries. Because one of them is a co-worker, I can get information cards from him. So I carry those with me in case I run into a needy person. Instead of giving them cash, I give them a card and tell them... go here, they'll make sure you get food and/or a place to stay.

My co-worker actually runs three local programs. Bread for Life, a food pantry, Room in the Inn, for homeless and Celebrate Recovery, for addicts. He and his wife are actually really nice people. They've been through their own crap, and have since turned their lives around. Because of that, they try to help others and are sincere about it. It's nice to see that.

Because of my past experiences, I'm a bit on the jaded side.... so I'm very skeptical, even though I want to help. The information cards help because it takes the pressure off of me, and gives the person resources to get back on their feet. If they need the help, they'll get it.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 9 November 2017 - 11:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Jedi, you've brought a million smiles here to us over the years! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 10 November 2017 - 09:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

Yeah? That's great to hear!

I'll do my best to continue that. biggrin.gif

Thanks Barry! happy.gif

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Logan_MacGyver
Posted: 6 January 2019 - 01:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

"What would macgyver do" is my favorite sorta motivational quote

MacFan77
Posted: 30 September 2019 - 09:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Camper

Favorites
Episode:Pilot and Ghost Ship
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I believe my 8 year old (who is a huge RDA MacGyver fan as well) epitomizes the WWMD question. His heart is as big as his whole body. He gives without expecting anything in return. Recently, there was a fund raiser...everytime the kids sold 3 items they got to pick a toy. He had already gotten a couple of toys and when he hit the 9 item mark, my wife asked him what toy he got. He replied, "I let Mary get a toy instead of me. She hasn't sold anything yet and all of the other kids tease her. I think I am her only friend." Needless to say, he got hugs and my wife and I both shed a tear or two. On days that they have treats, my son always asks for extra money so he can buy for a couple of the kids who never get treats.

It just makes me feel good knowing that, even with all of the mistakes I've made, it seems like the kid is turning out A-OK.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 30 September 2019 - 10:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

So I have started running in order to participate in a, so called, 'fun run' raising money for a local hospice, It's in a couple of weeks. It's only 5Km (3.1miles), but I am finding learning to run rather hard going, but I am delighted that, with the help of sponsorship from friends and some rather overly generous support from my clients and regular employer I have already raised my somewhat optimistic online total. I might well end up knackered and might not be able to complete the whole distance without walking, but I'm giving it my best shot in an attempt to do my part in return for the generous sponsorship I've been given. I got soaked training in the rain tonight! I think that qualfies as DWMWD. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan77
Posted: 1 October 2019 - 03:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Camper

Favorites
Episode:Pilot and Ghost Ship

QUOTE (Maclover @ 30 September 2019 - 10:34 AM)
So I have started running in order to participate in a, so called, 'fun run' raising money for a local hospice, It's in a couple of weeks. It's only 5Km (3.1miles), but I am finding learning to run rather hard going, but I am delighted that, with the help of sponsorship from friends and some rather overly generous support from my clients and regular employer I have already raised my somewhat optimistic online total. I might well end up knackered and might not be able to complete the whole distance without walking, but I'm giving it my best shot in an attempt to do my part in return for the generous sponsorship I've been given. I got soaked training in the rain tonight! I think that qualfies as DWMWD. biggrin.gif

I think that definitely qualifies. Awesome job!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 23 October 2019 - 01:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Ok, with around 36hrs notice thay cancelled the fun run due to the weather being bad. Not re-running it until June next year! I know that it is people that benefit from a hospice who are far worse off than I am and I will finally get to do next year, but I was quite disappointed when I found out. It was like losing something I never even had. I also feel a little guilty for thinking of my disappointment rather than thanking good luck that I don't their services unlike some others. All in all not a satisfactory outcome and I've got to keep running until next summer.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 24 October 2019 - 05:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

QUOTE (Maclover @ 23 October 2019 - 01:49 PM)
Ok, with around 36hrs notice thay cancelled the fun run due to the weather being bad. Not re-running it until June next year! I know that it is people that benefit from a hospice who are far worse off than I am and I will finally get to do next year, but I was quite disappointed when I found out. It was like losing something I never even had. I also feel a little guilty for thinking of my disappointment rather than thanking good luck that I don't their services unlike some others. All in all not a satisfactory outcome and I've got to keep running until next summer.

So sorry to hear that! But weather is beyond your control (and even MacGyver's!). While you continue to train, is there perhaps an opportunity for you to help the hospice in another capacity? Donations, volunteering, etc?

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MarkD1733
Posted: 27 October 2019 - 12:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Rambler

Favorites
Episode:Last Stand
House:  Observatory

Some things within my control that I have made a regular part of my life:

1) Donate blood regularly. (I am fortunate to be able to do this. Some simply cannot.)
2) Stay generally positive. Most of life's everyday problems have a solution. They're not that bad as they may seem. Just need time to figure them out.
3) Be ready to make a friend. If you ask the question, "How ya doin'?" be ready to listen--good, bad, otherwise. Be ready to learn their story. ("Learn how their different, or the same." -- The Guantlet)
4) Practice treating people with respect, empathy, and compassion, and give them the benefit of the doubt, push comes to shove. Don't just judge or rush to judgment.
5) Give time to someone else, regularly. (at some point, be a Big Brother/Big Sister. -- Pilot)
6) Cherish true friendship. ("I don't take friendship lightly. It's too hard to come by." -- Ugly Duckling)
7) Smile. (every episode)

"I don't take friendship lightly. It's too hard to come by."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 October 2019 - 02:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

I'm a blood donator too.

Staying positive after what happened in the past seven years is kind of hard to do. I never asked for any of the problems that occured but I got sucked in, in ways you wouldn't believe.

I don't easily make friends and just like Mac, I don't like too many people around me.

I treat most people with respect, empathy and compassion. Depends on the relationship.

They get all the time they want.

There is one friendship I truly cherish and weirdly enough it's not a friendship I have with my any of my friends that I see regularly.

Again, after recent years, smiling is kind of hard to do.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 28 October 2019 - 06:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Maclover @ 24 October 2019 - 09:49 AM)

It's great of you to run though! In our own ways, we're all trying to make the world a better place 😊

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll