Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

This is kind of a weird thing to be thinking about and I'm not sure why I've been thinking about it, but has anyone here ever stopped to think that in our life time we'll see the passing of all the adult TV stars and Heroes we grew up idolizing?

Assuming your in your 40's or younger and live the normal expected life time we're going to see the likes of RDA, the Hoff, Tom Sellick, Sly Stallone, Arnie, Bruce Willis and all the other "greats" pass away. Even the main actors and side kicks of the shows will pass before us. I guess the same goes for musical icons as well.. but for me at least, people like RDA and the Hoff were such a huge part of my early life that it kinda does my head in to think that one day I'm going to hear that terrible news item.

sad.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 23 January 2011 - 10:30 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

Well I hope they last another thirty years. Alright, I have the least thing with The Hoff. But with the others... RDA was indeed a big part of my life, especially when I was in high school. Sly actually re-entered my life when I began buying all his movies during his career dip. At first I only liked Rocky and Rambo but then my collection expanded for nearly all the actors you mentioned.

I don't know how I would feel when their time had come. I remember I felt bad when Kevin Smith died. And for the record I'm talking about the guy who played Ares on Xena, not the director.

I also felt bad when I read Thuy Trang (Trini on the Power Rangers) passed away at the age of 27.

We already lost Dana Elcar and Don Davis.

But if RDA, Tom, Sly, Arnie or Bruce would die now it would be a big loss in entertainment business. Sly just worked on a comeback, Arnie plans one and Bruce never really left.

I just don't think about it and hope they last another thirty years.

How do you think the life long fans of Clint Eastwood would feel if he passes away?

It would hurt, but I don't think about it. If RDA dies it would be 'Goodbye MacGyver' for real. On Sly I would say 'Yo, he did it'. On Arnie: 'He'll be back' or 'he won't be back'. And Bruce: 'Yippie-ka-yay'. On Clint Eastwood I'd say: 'he felt lucky'.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 27 March 2018 - 03:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber

I dread when MDB goes. Both as a fan, and the fact that I'll probably have to sift through many a comment about how "Murdoc never dies" and "he probably screamed MacGyver's name". Then again, maybe nobody will say that, for fear of appearing disrespectful.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 27 March 2018 - 08:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

I think every generation has to endure the passing of their screen idols. Even now, we have seen the passing of so many.

For me,its not about saying goodbye at one point or another. That much is pretty obvious. It's about enjoying the time you have with them and how you get to gloat when you finally meet them (If you're so lucky).

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 March 2018 - 03:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

There is already someone missing... Paul Walker. He was only 40 and Fast and Furious was and still is running. I felt the same thing about James Horner. Especially after I read he was supposed to score Hacksaw Ridge. It all gives it something bittersweet. The funny thing is... if it wasn't for Paul or James everybody would've still been alive. Even Kirk Douglas from the Spartacus movie is still alive and he's over 100 years old. RDA, Selleck, Hasselhoff, Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis, they're all still alive and active. Even Clint Eastwood who is passed the 80 and still working on these hard and gritty movies. MacGyver once said: "the only certainty in life when you're born is death." Or something like it and yes that day will eventually come but I think as long as you take care of yourself and stay busy you will last long, maybe even longer then you think. Again look at Eastwood or even John Williams. I think he's what, 85-86 now and he is still composing movies. I'm sure he's going to return for the next Indy. The man is in good health and remains busy, even though I do wonder what impact it'll give if John Williams passes away. Jerry Goldsmith and Michael Kamen already passed away due health conditions. Of course if fate decides otherwise as it did with Paul and James Horner, that's a different story. Both died in accidents.

Especially 2016 was a dark year on Hollywood, a lot of them passed away that year.

This is one of the reasons, I'm so glad I finally met RDA. 15-20 years this would've seemed impossible. Thanks to the comic cons I can still meet several actors. No matter how minor their roles were. I've seen RDA, Chris Judge, Robert Englund, Lance Henriksen, Ke Huy Quan and recentely John Rhys-Davies and Jason David Frank. Take your chance to meet them.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 28 March 2018 - 05:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

I totally agree. Unfortunately i live in a country that hardly has any conventions. Except for one called Icon but the people they bring over are usually small scale compared to the caliber of stars around.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 March 2018 - 07:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

It's also due to these cons that I learned that even the smallest actor can be worshipped as a god and that they are as popular as any other. In Belgium they mostly take small calibre actors too. Out of all the cons I did here they mostly go for the real has beens or people in minor roles. RDA is a great example of 'has been' but I remember standing in line for nearly two hours, got in talks with other fans and most women just melted for him or simply cried while Laurie Holden had no line at all. And I remember we were very lucky that he still wanted to come hardly two weeks after the attacks on the airport. On the other hand when Hodor of GoT came, he was extremely popular despite a small role. The only one I want to meet of GoT is Emelia Clarke or Lena Headey.

You really have to go to Holland or Germany for bigger names. Of course the bigger the name the bigger the chance they cancel. David Wenham was set to come to this spring edition of Facts and he cancelled but I think it was more on personal matter than professional. But in Holland I went for a lot more actors and several had cancelled including Carl Weathers. You sure take a risk by getting big names and if they are important actors the chances are bigger that they might cancel.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 28 March 2018 - 08:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I want to meet MDB and/or David Dastmalchian so badly, but there's no way I'll be able to hit any fan conventions any time soon. I don't live anywhere near Comic Con either, and it's too tight financially right now to even try yet.

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
beth
Posted: 28 March 2018 - 09:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Mountaineer

Favorites
Episode:

I have met several actors at cons. I met Richard Hatch from Battlestar Gallactica (also guest on MacGyver in "Three for the Road"), Gary Lockwood of 2001 a Space Odyssey (also guest on MacGyver in "Mask of the Wolf")and Richard Biggs and Robin Atkin Downes from Babylon 5.Would give anything if RDA would appear at a con close enough to me to be able to meet him too.

Also a "Before they were stars" thing. I grew up in the same small town and went to church with Nancy Everhard who was a guest on MacGyver playing Amy in "Log Jam". She still comes back here to visit her parents who still live here.

Beth

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 28 March 2018 - 10:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (beth @ 28 March 2018 - 12:44 PM)
I have met several actors at cons. I met Richard Hatch from Battlestar Gallactica (also guest on MacGyver in "Three for the Road"), Gary Lockwood of 2001 a Space Odyssey (also guest on MacGyver in "Mask of the Wolf")and Richard Biggs and Robin Atkin Downes from Babylon 5.Would give anything if RDA would appear at a con close enough to me to be able to meet him too.

Also a "Before they were stars" thing. I grew up in the same small town and went to church with Nancy Everhard who was a guest on MacGyver playing Amy in "Log Jam". She still comes back here to visit her parents who still live here.

Lucky you. I've met... My local news team. And... that's it. dry.gif tongue.gif

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll