MacGyver 1985 Casting, Who else auditioned for MacGyver?
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
manueloooord
Posted: 19 March 2017 - 06:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I didn't really know where to post this, so I hope my judgement on where to post is correct biggrin.gif

For me, Richard Dean Anderson really made MacGyver into what he really is known for today. What he brought in for Mac's character is also a bit evident at times in the reboot, like whenever Lucas Till would shake his hand at times whenever he would punch someone hard. It must be really hard for Lucas and the reboot to not think about what RDA brought into the table that formed the soul and vibe of MacGyver's character.

But, like any other show, the original MacGyver had auditions for it's lead, too. I've read articles wherein people involved in the show would say that actors who auditioned 'hulked' their way into the audition, while RDA really didn't and were even touched with the simple act of wearing eyeglasses to read a script. It brings to mind a question that I had on my mind for a long time now, though. Who are these actors that 'hulked' their audition? Probably someone from the forum knows? I've been trying to research about it, but for some reason I can't find anything.

Also, let's say RDA never auditioned and someone else was cast. Surely, MacGyver would be very different from what our general consensus is about it, but just in what ways would a MacGyver without RDA be different? How popular could it have been? Could it have been popular enough to have a reboot, too? If it could have been, how could it have affected the reboot now? What would be of RDA now if he never was MacGyver? hmm.bmp

Hopefully someone can help discuss this 'alternative history' with me. tongue.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 20 March 2017 - 04:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I'm not aware of who else auditioned for the part, though I heard that RDA went in for a "cold read", which he claimed could be a nightmare. From the sounds of it, he wasn't impressing anyone so he wasn't expecting to get the part... which probably played a role in his attitude during the audition.

Other than that and story of him needing his glasses, that's all I know about the audition. Sorry... >_<

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 20 March 2017 - 04:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

Me neither. I also recall that Dana Elcar's stunt double was Don S Davis who coincidentally played with him in Stargate SG1.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
tvero
Posted: 20 March 2017 - 05:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Blow Out

https://youtu.be/Qu-rp-2hnTQ

Sorry but I'm not familiar with posting videos here. RDA during a convention in Ghent tried to explain the similarities between his character and himself. (around 2 mn).
But I guess I'm not answering your question...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 20 March 2017 - 08:30 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

Oh, I was just watching that the other day! Such a great interview! It's amazing how much the character evolved from RDA's actual lifestyle. I don't think Mac would the be the Mac we have today if it wasn't for him.

If they had gotten someone else, we certainly would have a different MacGyver... maybe not one so likable. XD

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll