Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

After reading an article on sightings of a wolf in Flanders, I figured a central topic on "MacGyver matters in real life" would sound interesting. The idea is to post any real life progress on whatever that might look like something MacGyver or Phoenix would work on. Whether it's on the environment, endangered species programmes, (medical) science, schools, humanity in general doesn't matter. As long as it is positive or not too negative.

Anyway the reason is following article.

Apparently there has been sightings of wolf in Flanders in the past ten days in the province of Limburg. Despite sightings the article does claim however the wolf actually lives in the forests there while there is no certainty yet the wolf will actually stay. See below for the translated article.

"Wolf lives back in Flanders after 100 years. Great odds more will come."

For the past ten days a wolf has been running aroundin Limburg. Thanks to a tracking device around the neck we are sure that for the first time in almost a 100 years a wolf is living in Flanders. "Chances are great more will come."

Every now and then a story about wolves appear in Flanders. With exception of the famous 'Waaslandwolf' (more on that below) it's hardly ever more than a story. In Wallony one wolf was spotted with certainty in 2011 but proof that in Flanders one was spotted dates back to the 19th century. Even those are real doubtful and experts say it might have been since the 18th century. Now, almost 200 years later there is new absolute certainty: for the past ten days a she-wolf has been running around in Limburg. It is reported by Flemish minister of Nature Joke Schauvliege. The past few days the wolf remained in Beringen and in the area of the military domain in Leopoldsburg. In October 2016 the animal got a GPS-transmitter from the university of Dresden in Germany so it could be followed. A year long she remained in the north part of Mecklenburg-Verpommern but on Christmas Naya (the wolf's name) had enough and travelled in the direction of the Netherlands. On January 2 she crossed the border to Belgium in direction of Beringen. About 500 km in ten days time.

Protected

Koen Van Den Berge, researcher of carnivores at the Institure of Nature- and forest research is relieved but not surprised.
"It was bound to happen. The wolf population in our surrounding countries have been steadily increasing and they flock out further away. As well as from out the east in Germany towards the west, but also from out of France." For two reasons. "First of all, wolves are no longer killed. In Belgium it's a protected animal, while hundreds of years ago it was nearly nobel to kill a wolf because it was considered dangerous. Meanwhile we realised that it will play an important role in our ecosystem. Second of all, in our areas we are making a lot more efforts all the time for nature and it pays off. Wolves can find larger nature areas where they can find peace and quiet and food."

However, this doesn't mean every Flemish forest will have their own wolf. Naya lives alone and doesn't necessarily bring a pack. It's not sure if she will stay in Limburg. "It's too early to say if she settled here," according to Van Den Berge. "She might go back to Germany for all we know but she might as well go deeper into Flanders. But it is very unlikely that we will have to wait another 100 years for a new wolf." The animals will keep spreading so it's very possible that following years more will come.

Red Riding Hood

We shouldn't be afraid of wolves, because the fairy tale of Red Riding Hood is set far away from the forests of Limburg. Naya doesn't consider humans as prey. "You always have to be careful with wild animals. Hikers who might spot her, I'll advice them to enjoy it, because it is a unique experience." Sheep farmers might better be a little more alert. Wolves might prefer a juicy roe-deer or a wild boar, they won't mind a sheep either.

In Holland, three sheeps have been found dead, probably by a hungry Naya. Minister Schauvliege considers a wolfplan. "Everything indicates the wolf is coming, that's why I assigned people to figure out on how would she deal with the animal. The plan is also to figure how we can protect the wolf but also on how we will watch our sheep." However, Schauvliege is very happy with the coming of the she-wolf. "This shows nature in Flanders and our neighboring countries is improving. And thanks to the wolf it will only get better."

In nature everything is about eating or being eaten. Van Den Berge points out that to top of the foodchain is very thin populated. "Several large species have disappeared, the wolf is now back. It brings back a sick animal from that group and takes care of a natural selection. So don't doubt it: it's a real good thing that the wolf is back in Flanders."

I think MacGyver and Pete and the Phoenix board would be real happy about this.

Anyway with this news people seem optimistic about more species to come to our country including the jackal, the lynx and theoretically even the brown bear. Other news about it is that we might have to learn on how to protect ourselves against the wolf since it has been so long since there was one and that there has been no case of a wolf attacking a human being in over 60 years.

Now just one more thing about the Waaslandwolf. The Waaslandwolf was wolf-like animal that had been seen in Waasland and Zeelandic Flanders (the most Southern part of the Netherlands) and most likely killed several animals. In December 2000 sightings and reports have been filed on the animal. It was mostly seen in the border area with Holland and Waasland, hence the name Waaslandwolf. Still by the great geographical spread and sometimes sightings at the same time, people have been sceptical about the existence of the wolf. The wolf has been filmed and it is considered genuine, but no one ever caught the animal and it disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared. An anonymous hunter once declared to the press he shot the animal and buried it on an unmentioned place. But it was never proven it was the actual wolf. The sightings and suspiscious cattle deaths stopped afterwards. Still wolves were sighted in Lommel in Limburg but none of them fit the Waaslandwolf profile and they probably didn't stay in those woods either.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 15 January 2018 - 02:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber

Mac and Pete would definitely be interested in this. Nice topic idea, by the way. thumbsup.gif

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 19 January 2018 - 03:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I got a couple of things that might be of interest.

There's the Seabin Project (which I've posted before):

And the Ocean Cleanup Project:

One I've been following for a LOONG time is the restoration of the Black Footed Ferret. This ferret was extinct in the wild until recently, now they're making a comeback. It should be noted that the Black Footed Ferret is not the same as the domesticated pet ferret. Pet ferrets are from the European Polecat family. Black Footed Ferrets are the only ferret native to the United States.

Also, has anyone ever heard of GEI Consultants? My cousin just got a job with them, and I never heard of them before. My cousin is a big environmentalist and has a history of water conservation and cleanup... which is why, I guess, I've been into the ocean cleanup thing... lol

https://www.geiconsultants.com/

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 22 January 2018 - 06:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Twice Stung

Great read and great idea for a topic! thumbsup.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 22 January 2018 - 07:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Thanks. Latest articles report the wolf is still in the country and is indeed preying on cattle since a couple of dead sheep were found in the area she is in. Reports say that farmers who owns sheep will be repaid for any damages or dead sheep the wolf causes. Other articles claim she is looking for a mate and that another wolf might be around, yet no evidence so far.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 29 October 2019 - 07:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

So, it's been quite a while since I started this topic. In fact I totally forgot about it, even when… and that's actually the bad news… the wolf I wrote about when I started this topic has been killed. It's been a couple of months ago now but Naya as the wolf was called has been hunted down and killed with her little ones included, by someone who remains unknown to this day. So Naya did meet another male wolf, August, mated with him and they had a nest. The male wolf is currently still alive and well in our forests. Recent articles report the wolf is clearly enjoying his bachelor life. Ever since the death of Naya, the hunting association has been in a storm and about 400 Flemish inhabitants had their territory as a hunting ground scrapped. Meanwhile the association claims no hunter has killed Naya and that there is no evidence whatsoever they are responsible. Currently there is a reward of 30.000 euro for the ones who can give the golden tip on the whereabouts of the person who shot and killed Naya.

Sad news, I know. I can imagine Mac fleeing into the forest and finding this man and bringing him to justice.

The other news that I found would make Mac proud again. Two youtubers: Mr. Beast and Mark Rober agreed that if they would hit the 20.000.000 subscribers they would plant 20.000.000 trees by the year 2020. 20.000.000 for 20.000.000 trees by 2020 in 2 months? I'd say good luck with that but apparently in the last four days they already raised 4.000.000 dollars. That's already 4.000.000 trees. You can watch the videos below.

Looks like something Mac and the Challengers Club would sink their teeth in with a little help of Phoenix of course.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 29 October 2019 - 11:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

That Seabin Project sounds like something the Phoenix Foundation would be working on.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 30 October 2019 - 08:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Twice Stung

I missed this thread somehow, but my wife sent me a link to that project a couple days ago. That absolutely screams Phoenix 😊

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 October 2019 - 02:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Yes, indeed. As a matter fact I also posted that Seabin project in Mac's loft, only to be told by Jedi herself that she posted it here before. doh.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll