Disclaimer      

All stories in this forum are the intellectual property of the respective authors. These works may not be copied or re-presented in any way what-so-ever with out the express permission of the respective author of the work. These writings are written for the enjoyment of fans and are not intended to infringe upon any copyrights or trademarks owned by Paramount Studios, agents of, or persons authorized to act on behalf of.

Please read the Fan Fiction Rules before posting your fiction.

>> Fan Fiction Index <<

Continuum, Mac's story continues 2 1/2 yrs. later
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Dragondog
Posted: 23 January 2019 - 01:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I figured Sam's surprise involved a girl, but then I read the title and surprise.gif

“You got a haircut,” MacGyver said as he stood back to take in his son.

“And you didn’t!” Sam laughed.
XD

“It’s nice to meet you, Julie,” MacGyver smiled without offering to shake her hand. Turning to Sam he growled, “We need to talk. Now!”
Ho boy whistle.gif

“Oh, you’re gonna explain, all right,” MacGyver grabbed his son’s arm and steered him toward the couch. “Start from the beginning and don’t leave out a thing,” Mac commanded.
Mac, I know it's a massive shock, but C'mon, Sam's an adult. He can make his own life choices.

“I met Julie when I was in New York for a mandatory training before flying out. She’s a print journalist and had just been assigned to a U.S. base in Germany. We hit it off and went out a few times. We got...friendly.”

“Friendly,” Mac repeated, staring at his son.

“Very friendly?” Sam stared back.
Lol, Sam's like a guilty child XD

“We were only together once, but three months later I got a letter from her saying she was pregnant. She said it was mine.”

“But you hardly knew her! How can you be sure?”

“I introduce you to your grandson and that’s the first question you ask?”

“But you admit you were only with her once.”

“Once is all it takes, Dad!”

“I know that, Sam,” Mac shot back as Joshua wailed his protest from upstairs. Both men lowered their voices.
Is it wrong that I read this and just started cackling? XD

“I kept meaning to, but it wasn’t something I wanted to say in a letter. I wanted to tell you face-to-face.”

“Well it looks like you got your wish,” MacGyver sneered.

“Dad, I’m sorry…”

“It’s a little late for that, don’t you think?”
Oof. Give him a break, Mac!

“I figured you’d want to be alone.”

“I do. It’s just…don’t leave,”
Aww, Mac needs her wub.gif

She sat down next to him as he grabbed the remote and turned on the football game.
Well, at least she got to see the game laugh.gif

“It wasn’t just the picture, Sam,” MacGyver began to explain, his voice gaining urgency. “Your mom and I were together for a while. We knew each other well. Maybe too well. There’s no way she would have deceived me like that.”

“If you two were so close, how come she never told you about me?!”
Ouch. Old wound come to the surface sad.gif

“At least I’m making a commitment. Something you never had the guts to do!”
Sam is SAVAGE! blink.gif

“A child deserves a mother and a father. Not some stand-ins to raise him until his parents decide what they want to be when they grow up!”
Welp, I see where he gets his savageness from -_-

“Look, dad, I didn’t ask for this. I’m trying to do what’s best for everyone, including Joshua. Can’t you cut me some slack? You said you’d always be there for me, but apparently you lied!”
I'm not crying. It's just dusty in here D"X

“MacGyver!” she yelled as she knocked on his front door. “I’m coming in!” The man really needed to learn to lock his doors.
Yes Joanna, we've been saying that for a long time now tongue.gif

“You could apologize.”

“For what?!” Now it was MacGyver’s turn to stand over her.

“Oh, I don’t know. How about for overreacting and being a jerk?”
Gosh I love Joanna

“Oh,” Joanna nodded. “He has such lovely blue eyes. Do they run in your family?”

“Why don’t you just ask what you really want to know?!” Julie turned on her. The shy, quiet young lady façade gone.

“Fine,” Jo squared her shoulders. “Is Sam Joshua’s biological father?”

“Sam warned me you’d ask that,” Julie spat. “Why can’t you and MacGyver just accept the fact that Sam has a son?”
Everyone is so freaking savage this chapter (awesome!)

“I don’t think Sam is Joshua’s real father.”
Me neither dry.gif

As soon as Mac and Sam went out alone, I knew Julie and Joshua would be gone -_-

It had been almost twelve hours since Sam dumped his duffle and satchel in MacGyver’s doorway and lay down on the couch to stare at the ceiling and MacGyver was going crazy. How could Sam just lie there? He hadn’t eaten or even spoken, and Mac doubted very much he had slept. Every couple hours Mac had encouraged him to do or say something, anything. But all that earned him was more silence. He had never seen anyone close themselves off to the world so completely.
Wow. Gee, I wonder where he gets it from...

“Trust her!” Sam spat. “She let me believe she had my baby! That I was a dad! How am I supposed to trust her?!”
Sam, poor baby! 8"(

“I still have some connections at Phoenix. How about I have them do a little digging and see what we can find?” Mac offered.
Ooh, I'm interested w00t.gif XD

She stood beside him, observing Sam.“I can’t believe it! There are two of you!”“Do I really get that bad?” MacGyver winced at the thought.The look on Joanna’s face told him he did.
Did I mention how muchI love Joanna?

“That was my friend from Phoenix. Seems Julie was telling some truth, at least. Her parents are Joshua and Mary Conner. They currently reside in an upscale suburb of St. Louis.”
Well, at least the baby really was named after his grandfather. There's some truth wink.gif

“My friend dug up Joshua’s birth certificate. The father’s name is listed as ‘unknown’.”
Well, I'm disappointed -_-

Sam shrugged, unshed tears glistening in his eyes. MacGyver’s heart broke and he wrapped his son in a strong embrace which was heartily returned.
The FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D"X

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 23 January 2019 - 01:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity
Vehicle: Jeep

I *love* your reactions to this chapter, Dragondog!! Yeah, I kinda let the dark side show and I'm glad you're liking Joanna. I wrote it a long time ago, but if I remember correctly I really loved writing the "discussions" between Sam and Mac;) It was fun to have their characters get a little feisty!

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 23 January 2019 - 04:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Happy to help smile.gif

I really want to join Mac in hugging Sam in the end, though sad.gif

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 23 January 2019 - 04:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 23 January 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Awww, you're so sweet!

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted: 23 January 2019 - 06:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---

"Meet me in St Louis, Louis, meet me at the fair..."

I mean, obviously Julie is bad news, and yet I find myself holding out hope that they might meet up one of these days. I'd like to think that Sam's got some of Mac's good traits (or can learn them!) and one of his best is a capacity for whole-hearted, utterly unreasonable forgiveness.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 23 January 2019 - 06:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 23 January 2019 - 06:12 PM)

I mean, obviously Julie is bad news, and yet I find myself holding out hope that they might meet up one of these days. I'd like to think that Sam's got some of Mac's good traits (or can learn them!) and one of his best is a capacity for whole-hearted, utterly unreasonable forgiveness.

*Spoiler Alert* Sam and Julie don't meet up again. BUT, you're going to see more and more of Sam and I think you'll like it!

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 23 January 2019 - 07:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (uniquelyjas @ 23 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (Dragondog @ 23 January 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Awww, you're so sweet!

For a young teenager who has no desire to ever raise kids, I can be strangely maternal at times laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 23 January 2019 - 07:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (uniquelyjas @ 23 January 2019 - 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 23 January 2019 - 06:12 PM)

*Spoiler Alert* Sam and Julie don't meet up again. BUT, you're going to see more and more of Sam and I think you'll like it!

Just wondering, will we ever see Jesse again? I know what we last saw of her wasn't pretty, but I still feel kinda bad for her sad.gif

PM                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 24 January 2019 - 06:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 23 January 2019 - 07:32 PM)
Just wondering, will we ever see Jesse again? I know what we last saw of her wasn't pretty, but I still feel kinda bad for her sad.gif

No, I'm sorry. At this point I was still pretty new to writing fan fic and wasn't even planning on posting it anywhere...just doing it because it was fun, so I didn't really have a "plan". I let a lot of characters fall by the wayside. That sorta stops toward the end of Continuum and I'm much more conscious about it in the sequel, The Journey Continues. Also, I felt I was creating too many original characters so the more I wrote, the more I scaled back and tried to keep it to canon characters and recurring original characters. OK, so that was a longer answer than you wanted!! LOL!!

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted: 24 January 2019 - 02:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

(so you could theoretically bring them back, some time...I'll live in hope.)

story's good though

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 24 January 2019 - 02:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 24 January 2019 - 02:20 PM)
(so you could theoretically bring them back, some time...I'll live in hope.)

story's good though

Theoretically, yes. And thanks!

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 30 January 2019 - 12:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Chapter 24: Christmas Cupid

The month of December arrived with gray clouds and wintry drizzle, the temperatures mild enough to keep the snow away for now. Sam had decided to stay in town at least until the New Year and had taken up residence on MacGyver’s couch. Mac was glad to have the extra time with his son, but Sam’s presence seemed to have driven Joanna away. The only time MacGyver saw her lately was at Challengers or one of their hockey games. The team had yet to win, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves and that was the main objective.

Unfortunately, Sam soon became restless, especially with the wet weather keeping him indoors most days. MacGyver mentioned this one day at school and Joanna quickly suggested Sam volunteer in the learning center and rec room. She even arranged for him to do some presentations in the history class detailing his recent experiences in the Middle East along with displaying his photos. The students, particularly the young ladies, enjoyed Sam’s contributions to their classes. A few of the older boys were already talking about enlisting after graduation as a means of staying off the streets and earning some money.

One day, Joanna was walking by the rec room when she noticed a group of students gathered in a corner. Sam was talking to them and the teens appeared to be hanging on his every word. Jo entered the large room as unobtrusively as possible in order to hear what was holding the normally short attention spans of the students. As she got closer to the small gathering, she heard Sam talking about his recent experience with Julie and Baby Joshua, stressing the importance of responsible behavior and consequences of individual choices. The dismissal bell rang and the students quickly dispersed. It was then that Sam looked up, noticing Joanna for the first time.

“Hi, Jo,” he greeted her. “I hope you don’t mind, but we were playing pool and talking about stuff and one thing kinda led to another and…”

“I don’t mind at all,” Joanna smiled. “It sounded like you were making some really good points and the kids were actually listening. You’re a natural teacher, just like your dad.”

“Speaking of Dad, I was wondering if I could talk with you…privately.”

“Sure. C’mon in my office.” Jo indicated for Sam to follow her, curious and a bit worried about what he had to say. She had already purposely stayed away from MacGyver as much as possible so as not to infringe on his time with his son.

Sam took a seat in one of the visitors’ chairs while Joanna settled in behind her desk.

“What’s on your mind?” she asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

“Did you break up with my dad?” he asked meekly, sounding like a five-year-old but not caring.

Joanna’s jaw dropped. “No! I mean, we’re just friends. Whatever gave you that idea?”

Sam shrugged, “In his letters, he always talked about you and the stuff you guys do together. Since I’ve been here we’ve hardly seen you.”

“First of all, I’ve been trying to let you guys have some time together. Alone. Secondly, this is a tough time of year for your dad,” she explained, glancing at the calendar on the wall. Soon it would be December 14th. The anniversary of the death of Mac’s dad and grandmother. And then there was Christmas, the day his mother died.

Sam nodded vigorously. “That’s exactly why he needs you!”

Before Joanna could voice the protest forming on her lips Sam continued.

“Come on over for dinner tomorrow night. I’m cooking so it won’t be anything weird.”

Jo chuckled. “Well, how can a girl say ‘no’ to that!”

The following evening found MacGyver and Joanna seated next to each other on his couch while Sam prepared dinner. Mac hadn’t spent any time outside of school with Jo since Thanksgiving and he felt uncharacteristically uncomfortable…a feeling he never had around her. Perhaps it had been the endless hours Sam had spent singing her praises or the way he had shooed them out of the kitchen when they offered to help with dinner. It smelled for all the world like a set-up, but Sam should know better. Mac had stressed from the beginning that Joanna was simply a co-worker who had become a good friend. The couple released a collective sigh when Sam finally beckoned them to the table to eat. However, the table was small and it was all but impossible to move without rubbing knees or bumping feet. Every now and again MacGyver would catch Joanna’s eye and roll his own toward Sam. Jo would smile surreptitiously, indicating that she smelled a rat as well.

“We need to get this place decorated for Christmas,” Sam abruptly proclaimed, causing his dad and Joanna to look at him as if he just suggested they all jump off a bridge together.

“I don’t do Christmas,” Mac replied softly but firmly before shoving a forkful of suddenly tasteless food into his mouth.

“What do you mean you don’t ‘do’ Christmas? Everyone does Christmas!” Sam insisted.

MacGyver, still chewing, gazed coldly at his son.

Unaffected, Sam continued, “You told me you always spent time at the Challengers Club in L.A. helping with the Christmas Program and stuff. You went to Phoenix’s holiday office parties and created that contraption to make non-alcoholic egg nog. Heck, you even decorated a church!”

“Returning a stolen statue hardly counts as ‘decorating’,” Mac murmured. “Besides, that stuff wasn’t in my house. I didn’t have to look at it day and night.”

“C’mon Dad,” Sam pleaded.

“You could at least put up a tree,” Joanna suggested, finally speaking up.

Great! It was two against one. “Oh, all right. But just a tree,” MacGyver agreed.

“Stores are already putting artificial trees on sale,” Jo informed them. “You could probably get a real good deal.”

“Oh, no,” MacGyver said, warming up to the idea. “If I have to get a tree we’ll do it the old-fashioned way…find a lot that lets you go out and cut one yourself.”

Joanna gaped at him and Sam wrinkled his nose as Mac chuckled and began to clear the table.

The following Saturday, MacGyver headed to his garage to grab a hand saw. Clad in old hiking boots and a blue parka, he was eager to spend some time with Mother Nature. As he was making his way back to the house he saw Joanna pull up and park at the curb. Like him, she wore an all-weather jacket and boots. Though they still lacked snow, there was plenty of mud. Mac opened the front door and yelled to Sam.

“C’mon kid, let’s hustle!”

Jo was now at his side. “I don’t know why Sam insisted I come along. This would be an ideal father-son bonding trip.”

“We’ve been sharing a one-bedroom apartment for almost a month. Believe me, we’ve bonded,” MacGyver assured her.

Mac opened the door, ready to call to Sam again only to find the young man standing there wearing a sweat suit and socks.

“Why aren’t you dressed? We need to get going.”

“Sorry, dad, but I don’t feel well.”

MacGyver narrowed his eyes, “You were fine at breakfast a couple hours ago.”

“Yeah, it hit pretty fast. Guess I’ll have to count on you and Jo to choose the right tree.”

“We could go some other time when you’re feeling better,” Joanna offered.

“No! I mean, all the good trees will be gone if we wait,” Sam insisted.

Mac and Jo exchanged knowing glances. “Well, in that case we better leave right now,” MacGyver said.

Joanna smiled at Sam as MacGyver led her to his car.

Wasn’t there some old adage about taking a woman to pick out a Christmas tree? If not, there should be, MacGyver thought as Joanna browsed row after row of evergreens pronouncing them too short, too tall, too full, or too sparse. The sun had slipped behind the clouds earlier and the temperature had tumbled. She’d get cold eventually and settle for the nearest tree around, Mac figured.

He figured wrong.

Thirty minutes later Joanna finally informed him that, though not perfect, she had found a more than adequate tree for him to cut down. She steadied the tree as Mac began sawing. Memories from his childhood flooded his mind. He saw himself as a young boy, excitedly darting around the tree farm looking for the most rag-tag evergreen he could find. He remembered having to convince his dad to buy it so it would have a home on Christmas Day. When they got home, Mom always had cookies still warm from the oven waiting for them.

“Mac, you okay?” Joanna interrupted his thoughts.

He noticed he had stopped sawing and light snow was beginning to fall. “Yeah, fine,” he replied before continuing to cut down the tree.

Joanna and MacGyver sipped hot chocolate from a nearby vendor as they waited for their tree to be wrapped in netting and secured on the roof of the Nomad.

“You’ve been making yourself pretty scarce lately,” Mac ventured, finishing his sweet drink.

“Like I said, you and Sam need time together.”

“Just because Sam is back in my life doesn’t mean you have to leave, you know. In fact, I’d say he’s trying to, um…”

“Yeah, I know,” Jo smiled good-naturedly.

Just then one of the lot attendants approached them. “You guys are good to go. Have a Merry Christmas.”

“Thanks,” they responded in unison.

“So, I don’t suppose you have any decorations?” Joanna asked as she gulped the last of her hot chocolate and tossed the paper cup in the trash.

“No,” MacGyver replied. “But I’m guessing after today I will.”

Mac parked in his driveway and, with Jo’s help, quickly unloaded the tree and got it in a bucket of water until they could get an appropriate stand.

“Let’s see if Sam feels up to some shopping,” MacGyver suggested.

They entered the duplex to find Sam playing air guitar along with a music video on TV. Mac cleared his throat loudly and Sam turned to face him, looking like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

“Feeling better, are we?” MacGyver asked.

“You know, it was the craziest thing,” Sam began.

Mac held up a hand to quiet his son. “Save it. Jo and I know what you’ve been trying to do, but it just isn’t going to happen.”

Sam frowned and glanced at Jo who nodded her confirmation.

“But don’t you guys see how great you are together? I just don’t want you to grow old and lonely, Dad.”

“Gee, thanks,” Mac replied sarcastically as Joanna tried to hide her smile. “And for the last time, Jo and I are just good friends and right now that’s enough.” But he didn’t know how long he would remain satisfied with just that.

“Well, in that case I guess you won’t be needing these.” Sam pointed to the ceiling where he had hung several bunches of greenery which MacGyver assumed was supposed to be mistletoe.

“Naw, that’s OK. They can stay,” Mac replied, causing Sam and Jo to raise their eyebrows and shrug.

MacGyver took Joanna’s arm and led her behind the spiral staircase.

“Whoa, are you anxious to try out the mistletoe?” Jo giggled.

“You’re not really on board with that, are you?” Mac asked.

“Well, I’d hate to mess with tradition,” she grinned, enjoying the way MacGyver always ran his fingers through his hair in response to her flirting.

“I was going to say that you don’t have to go shopping with us. We’ve wasted enough of your time with the tree.”

“You’re not wasting my time,” Jo insisted. She was starting to get frustrated with MacGyver. First he complained because she stayed away and now he was trying to force her out. “Come on, let’s go shopping,” she instructed.

Good grief, what had she been thinking? Well, she’d been thinking that she’d missed MacGyver and wanted to spend more time with him, but she hadn’t counted on two grown men acting like kids in a candy store arguing over Christmas tree decorations. It was obvious that neither of them had decorated a tree in quite a while and the options they faced were overwhelming. Joanna looked in the cart at the multicolored lights and rainbow of garlands and ornaments but kept her mouth shut. Unfortunately, she could not hide the dismay on her face.

“Don’t worry,” Sam said, draping an arm around her shoulders. “It’ll all look great once it’s on the tree.”

“Yeah,” Mac agreed with a quirky grin. “We can make this work.”

Joanna snorted and headed with them to the checkout lanes.

A few hours later, Jo leaned against the breakfast bar and gazed in amazement at the bedecked evergreen tucked in the corner by the patio doors. Somehow, Sam and Mac had made the odd assortment of colors come together in shiny Christmas harmony.

As father and son stood back to admire their handiwork MacGyver’s phone rang. He absently picked up the receiver and mumbled a greeting. Suddenly his jaw tensed and his eyes hardened.

“I’m sorry, sir, but I no longer work for the Phoenix Foundation.”

Sam and Joanna exchanged curious glances.

“No, that arrangement ended the day I handed you my resignation.”

Jo mouthed the name ‘Stern’ to Sam who nodded in understanding. She could hear the voice on the other end of the line. It was loud and urgent, but she could not understand the words.

“With all due respect, sir,” MacGyver began, visibly reining in his anger, “I have a job and responsibilities here. I understand that you are in a difficult position, but I’m sure you have more than one capable agent who can complete the mission.”

Everyone was silent as Mac listened to Stern’s response.

“My loyalties cannot be bought and at the moment they lie elsewhere. I’m sorry, but I can’t help you.” MacGyver hung up the phone and groaned.

Joanna hung back, giving Mac time to process the conversation, but Sam’s curiosity got the better of him and he pounced.

“What was that all about, Dad? Did Phoenix want you to go on another mission? Why did you turn them down?”

MacGyver rubbed his face with his hands before answering. “Stern wanted me to be part of a covert operation in North Africa. I turned him down because I no longer work for Phoenix.”

“But it must be something really important if Stern wants you,” Sam prodded.

“It is,” Mac acknowledged. “But if I took the assignment I’d be working for Stern, not Phoenix. He tried to bribe me, Sam. If I had any respect left for that man it’s gone now.”

“So you’re really okay with being done with field ops?” Sam asked.

Joanna held her breath in anticipation of Mac’s answer. Did he regret resigning from the Foundation? Was he bored at the school? Did he miss the travel and adventure?

“Yeah, I guess I am,” MacGyver replied confidently. Jo followed his eyes as he surveyed his apartment, taking in the cheerful tree, his favorite couch, his son, and finally her. “I have everything I need right here,” he smiled.

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 30 January 2019 - 02:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

The students, particularly the young ladies, enjoyed Sam’s contributions to their classes
Why wouldn't they laugh.gif

As she got closer to the small gathering, she heard Sam talking about his recent experience with Julie and Baby Joshua, stressing the importance of responsible behavior and consequences of individual choices
Sam's learned his lesson, I see smile.gif

“What’s on your mind?” she asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

“Did you break up with my dad?” he asked meekly, sounding like a five-year-old but not caring.
Wow, he got right to the point blink.gif

“Come on over for dinner tomorrow night. I’m cooking so it won’t be anything weird.”

Jo chuckled. “Well, how can a girl say ‘no’ to that!”
Character development! I remember when she wouldn't even so much as leave her door open for Mac, now it's super easy to get her to come over XD

It smelled for all the world like a set-up, but Sam should know better. Mac had stressed from the beginning that Joanna was simply a co-worker who had become a good friend.
You're right, Mac. Sam does know better. He knows better than to believe she's just a really good friend XD

“We need to get this place decorated for Christmas,” Sam abruptly proclaimed, causing his dad and Joanna to look at him as if he just suggested they all jump off a bridge together.
Sorry, but when I read this, I started cracking up at the mental image of Sam very content and happy, saying, 'Let's all go jump off a bridge together!" roller.gif

“Sorry, dad, but I don’t feel well.”

MacGyver narrowed his eyes, “You were fine at breakfast a couple hours ago.”
Set-up. Mac's response only proves it.

He saw himself as a young boy, excitedly darting around the tree farm looking for the most rag-tag evergreen he could find. He remembered having to convince his dad to buy it so it would have a home on Christmas Day
Awwwwww wub.gif (he reminds me of me when I was little XD )

They entered the duplex to find Sam playing air guitar along with a music video on TV. Mac cleared his throat loudly and Sam turned to face him, looking like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar
roller.gif

“But don’t you guys see how great you are together? I just don’t want you to grow old and lonely, Dad.”

“Gee, thanks,” Mac replied sarcastically as Joanna tried to hide her smile.
Sam is both the biggest shipper-on-deck, and the most sarcastic rascal ever XD

“Well, in that case I guess you won’t be needing these.” Sam pointed to the ceiling where he had hung several bunches of greenery which MacGyver assumed was supposed to be mistletoe
My gosh, the effort he's putting into his ship! XD

“Naw, that’s OK. They can stay,” Mac replied, causing Sam and Jo to raise their eyebrows and shrug.
Why are you even trying to say she's "just a friend"? XD

Good grief, what had she been thinking? Well, she’d been thinking that she’d missed MacGyver and wanted to spend more time with him, but she hadn’t counted on two grown men acting like kids in a candy store arguing over Christmas tree decorations.
Boys laugh.gif

“My loyalties cannot be bought and at the moment they lie elsewhere. I’m sorry, but I can’t help you.” MacGyver hung up the phone and groaned.
Yeah, I would've done the same thing dry.gif

“I have everything I need right here,” he smiled.
Yay! XD

PM                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted: 30 January 2019 - 03:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I wonder what anyone would attempt to bribe MacGyver *with*, since money doesn't interest him all that much. Presumably something nice for a charity he's fond of? Or something more outre?

Also, Sam is hopelessly inept at matchmaking, but never mind, the thought's what counts.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 30 January 2019 - 04:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Love all the great feedback, Dragondog! I find it as entertaining as the story...I love it!

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 30 January 2019 - 04:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 30 January 2019 - 03:17 PM)
I wonder what anyone would attempt to bribe MacGyver *with*, since money doesn't interest him all that much. Presumably something nice for a charity he's fond of? Or something more outre?

Also, Sam is hopelessly inept at matchmaking, but never mind, the thought's what counts.

Keep in mind that Stern doesn't really know Mac...he came on board after Mac left so money is still an option for him...or so he thinks!

As for Sam...I don't think 20-something guys are good matchmakers to begin with, and trying to do it with Mac? C'mon, you know Mac and relationships! Poor Sam's trying to mix oil and water!

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted: 30 January 2019 - 06:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

...oh, well- do the RESEARCH, dude, you should at least have read his file and noted how many times he bypassed ordinary compensation in favour of treats for kids or whatever.

Sam's probably not really clear on Mac's general tentativeness with relationship's cos Mac's trying so very hard with him. Which is good, for Sam! But probably leads to misleading expectations.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 30 January 2019 - 07:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (uniquelyjas @ 30 January 2019 - 06:30 PM)
Love all the great feedback, Dragondog! I find it as entertaining as the story...I love it!

Thanks, I'm glad biggrin.gif

PM                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 7 February 2019 - 06:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Chapter 25: Holiday Vandals

The Monday before winter break MacGyver pulled into the Challengers parking lot to find a small group of people huddled against the building and a squad car parked nearby. He let out an audible groan. What now? As he approached, he recognized Evelyn, Joanna and Officer Carl talking animatedly to a young police officer. Some faculty members lingered on the edges of the activity.

Mac reached out, gently grabbed Evelyn’s arm, and separated her from the others.

“What’s going on and why wasn’t I called?” He demanded.

Evelyn sighed. “More graffiti.”

“Where?”

Evelyn led him to the side of the building. In large, block print letters were the words ‘GET OUT’. Anger burned in MacGyver’s gut. Not only had property once again been defaced, but the message could be considered a threat.

“Carl was the first one in and called the police. I figured you were already on your way,” Evelyn explained.

“Any witnesses or leads?” Mac asked.

“Only that it happened sometime over the weekend.”

“Have you checked the surveillance video yet?”

“No,” Evelyn responded. “We were just about to go in and do that when you arrived.”

Several minutes later, MacGyver, Joanna, Evelyn, Carl, and the young police officer were crammed in the small security booth looking at the video tape from the weekend. Mac fast forwarded the images until a dark shadow appeared on the screen. The perpetrator was clad all in black, including a black ski mask. Height and build suggested it was an adult male. The only recognizable feature was a shock of blonde hair sticking out the back of the face mask. The intruder moved stealthily and was missing from several frames of film indicating he knew where the cameras were placed and where the blind spots were.

“This guy is good,” Mac muttered, eyes glued to the monitor.

“Our records show you reported graffiti before,” the police officer stated.

“Yes,” Joanna turned and responded. “But this is different.”

“How so?”

“The first time there were two perpetrators and they were built more like teens. They didn’t bother trying to avoid the cameras and the letters were rounded, cursive, and indecipherable,” she explained.

“Um, thank you, ma’am,” the officer replied. “Your observations are very helpful.”

MacGyver smiled to himself and shook his head.

“I assume you’ll want the video tape for evidence?” Mac asked, trying to help out the poor guy.

“Yes, of course, thank you.” The uniformed man took the tape and started toward the door.

“When will I be able to clean that up?” MacGyver called.

“As soon as the crime scene techs leave,” the officer answered before hurrying out the door.

“Did you ever think of going into law enforcement?” Mac asked Jo, trying to suppress his amusement at the way she handled the rookie officer.

“If they keep sending out twelve-year-olds to take our statements I just might,” she grumbled.

“MacGyver, in my office…now!” Evelyn ordered.

Mac and Joanna exchanged questioning glances before he hurried after his boss.

“Do you have any suspects?” Evelyn asked as soon as she closed her door.

“Shouldn’t you be asking the police that?”

“Don’t get smart with me, honeypot,” Evelyn warned. “That snot-nosed kid with a badge will give which video game to play next more consideration than this case. I know you, MacGyver. Your brain is already working on this.”

Mac sighed. “You’re right, but quite frankly, it could be almost anyone in the community who doesn’t want us here. That message was loud and clear.”

“But what about the way they avoided the cameras?” she prodded.

“Anyone with decent observation skills could figure out a way to evade them,” Mac offered.

“Or anyone already familiar with the system.”

“Are you suggesting it was someone from Challengers?” Mac was shocked. They had vetted all new hires very carefully.

“I don’t know,” Evelyn sighed. “I just don’t believe it was random vandalism and I want some answers. Sooner rather than later.”

“I’ll keep my eyes and ears open,” MacGyver promised. “In the meantime, I’m gonna go get that wall cleaned off.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“So all I’m asking is that you let me or MacGyver know if you notice anything different about one of the staff or faculty members.”

“You don’t really think it’s an inside job?” Joanna asked Evelyn later that morning. “We did background checks on everyone ourselves!”

“I don’t know what to think,” the administrator confessed. “But I do know we need to be more vigilant. If this truly was a threat, it could be just the beginning.”

A few hours later Joanna stood in MacGyver’s office doorway and tapped lightly on the open door. Mac was staring unseeingly at his computer monitor much as she had been for most of the day.

“Got a minute?” she asked.

“Yeah, come on in.” MacGyver leaned back in his chair and pushed his fingers through his hair. “What’s up?” he asked casually.

When she failed to immediately respond he asked again, this time with more concern in his voice.

“I keep thinking about the surveillance video,” she began, her eyes looking at her hands she had folded in her lap. “Between seeming to know exactly where the cameras were and the hair sticking out of the ski mask, that could easily be…you!”

“Oh come on, Jo, you can’t honestly think I did that!”

“I didn’t say that!” she shot back, standing up defensively.

“You didn’t have to,” Mac responded quietly. “The funny thing is, I thought the same thing myself.”

Joanna’s brown eyes grew wide.

“You gotta admit I fit the profile.”

“What if the cops are thinking the same thing?” she asked, her concern growing.

“Don’t worry. At this point it’s a minor crime. They can’t do anything to anyone unless Evelyn decides to press charges.”

“And of course she’d never press charges against you. Maybe that’s what you’re counting on!” Joanna couldn’t believe the words coming out of her mouth, but she had no way to stop them.

MacGyver rounded his desk so they now stood face-to-face. “I swear to you, I have as much invested in Challengers as anyone. Why would I do anything to jeopardize that?”

“I’m sorry, Mac, I was way out of line—“

“Don’t worry about it. A few more days and we have a whole month off. By then this will just be a bad memory.”

He reached out his hand and gently cupped her cheek. A year ago, she would have instinctively recoiled from his touch, but today she leaned into the warmth and comfort he offered.

“You want to what?!” Joanna stared at the large group of teenagers that had gathered around her in the rec room.

“We want to have a New Year’s Eve party.” A tall girl reiterated.

“Here, in the gym.” A small, Asian boy added.

“We’ll do all the decorating and everything! Even bring food!” Yet another student spoke up.

Joanna took a calming breath and shook her head. The gym needed a thorough scrubbing and…well, let’s face it…a miracle! That was the one aspect of Challengers that had been ignored. Mainly because no one wanted to take on the project.

“But it’s only two days until winter break,” Joanna protested. “Whose idea was this, anyway?”

As if that was their cue, the entire group turned to look at MacGyver who was standing in the back watching the scene play out, amusement on his face. Joanna locked eyes with him but addressed the students.

“So, Mr. Mac gave you the idea,” she said accusingly. Suddenly, multiple voices erupted around her.

“He was telling us about the party the Challengers Club in L.A. had last year,” one voice said.

“They even have a yearly Christmas pageant!” voice number two spoke up. “But we figured it was a little late for that.”

Thank God for small favors, Joanna thought.

“It’ll be awesome!” a third voice echoed through the room. “We can have music and dancing and…” the voice was soon drown out by others joining in.

“Mr. Mac, could I please have a word with you?” Joanna called over the noise.

MacGyver joined Joanna in the hallway where the exuberant voices were now muffled.

“Why did you tell them they could have a New Year’s Eve party here?” she ground out.

Mac held up his hands in surrender. “Now hold on. I did not say they could have a party here. They were asking me questions about what the other Challengers was like and it sorta came up.”

Joanna remained silent.

MacGyver shrugged. “It’s not an impossible idea, you know. Besides, what better way to keep the kids off the streets and out of trouble on the biggest party night of the year?”

“But Mac, these things take time and planning and resources we just don’t have!”

“Don’t worry. I’ll handle everything,” Mac assured her. “We still have a couple days when the kids can work on the gym during their free periods, and next week I’ll come in with small groups to handle the finishing touches. The kids don’t want much. They just want a safe place to have some fun. You’ll see, it’ll all work out.”

“What about chaperones?” Joanna challenged him.

“I figured we’d be there.”

“Did it ever occur to you that I might have plans?”

“Well, do you?”

Joanna sighed in defeat. “Yes. I’ll be chaperoning a high school party. But we’ll need more adults than just the two of us.”

“Sam will volunteer, and I bet we could even get Evelyn to come in and help,” Mac replied.

Jo knew she didn’t stand a chance. The man had an answer for everything.

MacGyver had the teens working in shifts between classes and soon the gym was gleaming brighter than he ever thought possible. They even had time to start planning the event in more detail. The boys insisted that pizzas, soda and a boom box was all anyone needed, but the girls begged to differ.

“Mr. Mac,” a blonde girl whined, “we can’t have a party without balloons and streamers and confetti to toss at midnight.”

“And you can’t serve pizza! You have to have punch and those little finger food thingies,” a brunette chimed in.

“We can’t dance to music blasting from a boom box, we need a real DJ!” a red-head proclaimed.

Mac ran his hand down his face. What had he gotten himself into? Joanna had been right. Pulling off a party like this at the last minute was impossible. Maybe.

Joanna was sitting at her office desk when he tapped on the doorjamb and entered before she invited him in. He sat down across from her and took a deep breath.

“Before you say ‘I told you so’, I admit it. You were right. I bit off more than I can chew with this party.” She turned to face him, giving him her full attention.

“Go on,” she prompted with a grin.

“I need help,” he moaned and hung his head, not wanting to see her gloating smile.

“What can I do?” she asked. Her voice soft and genuine. He raised his head and met her compassionate gaze. He sighed and started telling her the list of student demands.

“OK, here’s what we’ll do,” Joanna instructed when he finished. “The day after Christmas, go out to a party supply store and get plates and decorations. Everything will be on sale. I have a friend who used to own a DJ business. He still has the equipment so I’ll convince him to help out.”

“How can you be sure he’ll agree? It is New Year’s Eve.”

“Don’t worry. He’ll do it,” she replied confidently.

“What about food?”

“We may have to do the pizza thing. But we can still have punch and put out some other junk food. I doubt the girls will mind,” she smiled.

“Thanks, I owe you one,” he promised before leaving her office, feeling back in control of the situation.

Christmas Day arrived quietly for MacGyver. He and Sam headed south to Chicago to spend the day with the Thornton’s to make up for skipping Thanksgiving. There was plenty of good cheer and Connie made sure no one went hungry, even wrapping up leftovers for Mac and Sam to take home.

“And what do you two young handsome men have planned for New Year’s?” Connie asked half way through the meal.

“Dad and Jo are throwing a party for all the kids at Challengers,” Sam offered.

“That sounds just like Mac,” Pete remarked. “Always doing something for others.”

MacGyver blushed slightly and shoveled a forkful of sweet potatoes into his mouth.

“That sounds like fun,” Connie replied gleefully. “And speaking of Joanna, how is she doing? I’ve been meaning to call but, well, you know how that goes.”

Before Mac could swallow Sam replied, “Jo’s great! She and Dad went out and chopped down a live Christmas tree and then we all went shopping for decorations and got it set up the same day.”

“Wait a minute,” Pete cut in. “Did I hear you correctly? MacGyver has a Christmas tree? In his house?”

Sam nodded vigorously.

“Well, I’ll be! Looks like she’s finally getting to you, Mac!” Pete teased good-naturedly.

“I did it for Sam,” MacGyver responded weakly.

Connie reached across the table and patted his hand. “Of course you did, dear,” she replied with a knowing smile.

“So, what are you two doing for New Year’s?” Mac asked, attempting to change the conversation.

“Funny you should ask,” Connie responded. “We’ll be passing through your neck of the woods. There’s a new Bed and Breakfast opening up in Door County and we’ll be spending a few days there. If it checks out I’ll add it to the travel agency brochure as a destination.”

“Still can’t convince her to fully retire, can you Pete?” MacGyver quipped.

“Not sure I want to. We get to go to all these great places for free!” the older man chuckled.

Once the dessert dishes had been cleared from the table and the conversation began to lag, MacGyver suggested he and Sam head home. The men exchanged hearty handshakes and Connie hugged them both with a promise to stop in and see them as she and Pete passed through Milwaukee the following week.

The next day Mac and Sam went to the party supply store as Joanna had suggested. True to her word, there was a huge sale in progress. There was also a huge crowd jostling each other to take advantage of the bargains.

“I think we’re a little out of our league,” Sam commented to his dad as they stood back and observed the controlled chaos.

“It’s not that bad,” Mac replied, trying to sound optimistic. “Take out the list so we can grab what we need and get outta here,” he instructed his son.

Thirty minutes later the frazzled pair emerged from the store carrying their supplies.

“Who knew picking out plates and napkins could be so difficult,” Sam complained.

“Who knew a little old lady would fight us for the last plastic punch bowl, and win!” MacGyver countered before they both started to laugh.

“Let’s swing by Challengers and drop this stuff off so it’s there tomorrow when the kids come to decorate,” Mac suggested and Sam readily agreed.

MacGyver unlocked the front door to the school and headed down the long corridor with Sam following behind. The floor outside the gym appeared shiny and wet, like a mirage in the desert. Mac slowed down, causing Sam to bump into him.

“Hey man, what’s the problem?” Sam asked, annoyed.

“Take a look.” MacGyver pointed down the long hallway.

“The floor looks wet,” Sam observed. “Are you guys doing maintenance this week?”

“Not to my knowledge,” Mac responded, his voice softer now. He set down the bags of party supplies and silently motioned Sam to follow him to the gym.

The main doors to the gymnasium were shut tight and locked, but water still managed to seep out from underneath. This wasn’t good. After unlocking the doors MacGyver handed his keys to Sam.

“Go to the custodians’ supply room and get mops, buckets, whatever you can find,” he instructed.

Sam wordlessly set out on his mission.

Mac stood in front of the gym doors, water already beginning to penetrate his shoes. Suspecting yet fearing what he would find on the other side, he pushed lightly on one of the doors. When he didn’t meet with resistance, he stood off to the side and thrust the door open, watching as a small deluge of water escaped into the corridor. MacGyver poked his head into the room. The only light came from the late December sun streaming through the high, glass block windows, but that was enough for Mac to see the entire floor covered with a couple inches of standing water. He gingerly stepped into the large, flooded room to begin the search for the cause of the mess.

Common sense told him that one of the old pipes in the locker room must have broken so he checked the boys’ room first. What he saw made his heart drop to his toes. The pipes were still intact, but all the sink and shower faucets were flowing steadily. This was a deliberate act.

“We’re gonna need more than a mop and bucket,” Sam called from the gym entrance just as his dad came sloshing angrily out of the locker room.

“All the faucets were turned on,” Mac growled. “We need to call the police.”

After calling the police and hoping they sent out a more seasoned officer than the one from last week, MacGyver quickly called Evelyn who promised to call Joanna and Officer Carl. Soon, the familiar little group was gathered around a veteran policeman contributing what each knew to the story. Everyone agreed that the entire building had been cleared and locked down for winter break and not even custodians were scheduled to return until after the first of the year.

“I don’t suppose you have indoor surveillance cameras,” the cop stated more than asked.

“Actually, we do,” MacGyver informed him, thankful that Joanna had agreed to let him install cameras in the corridor and common rooms, including the gym.

As Mac started the process of going through the video tapes, more officers arrived to inspect the building only to report that there was no sign of forced entry. This led to a discussion regarding who had keys to the building. The list was longer than MacGyver had imagined and he made a mental note to look into that at a later time. Suddenly, Mac stopped the tape as he noticed a dark figure on the screen.

“I think I got something,” he announced, and everyone gathered around the monitor as he reversed the tape and then played it forward in slow motion.

“It’s the same person from last week!” Evelyn gasped.

“Are you certain, ma’am?” the officer asked.

“Of course I am,” she responded, slightly offended.

“I agree,” Joanna added. “He’s the same size and build and is dressed the same. The only difference is this time he doesn’t try to avoid detection.”

“You know,” Evelyn pondered, “with that shaggy blond hair poking out of the ski mask, he could pass himself off as MacGyver!”

MacGyver saw Joanna’s chin drop to her chest as he pinched the bridge of his nose. They both had known it was only a matter of time before someone made the connection.

“Are you accusing Mr. MacGyver, ma’am?” the officer asked Evelyn.

“Of course not!” she exclaimed. “Our MacGyver would never do something like this!” Joanna, Sam and Carl joined in to protest.

“Mr. MacGyver, where were you at the time indicated on the tape?” the officer asked.

Mac glanced at the time stamp. “I was driving back from Chicago.”

“Was anyone with you?”

“My son, Sam.” He nodded toward the young man.

“Is there anyone else who can corroborate this?”

“No,” Mac answered softly.

“You’re not gonna consider him a suspect, are you?” Sam asked defiantly.

“Not yet,” the officer replied. “Let’s just say he’s a ‘person of interest’. As such, I would like to speak with Mr. MacGyver in private for a moment.” With that, the others solemnly began to file out of the small security booth.

A short while later, Mac and the police officer emerged from the small room, shook hands, and promised to be in touch.

Evelyn was promptly at his side. “I’m so sorry I made that stupid comment! Is everything OK?”

MacGyver smiled reassuringly. “Everything’s fine. Unfortunately, we’ll have to cancel the New Year’s party, though.”

“But why?” Sam protested.

“We need to get professionals in here to clean up this mess and notify the insurance company so they can send someone out to inspect the damage. Given that it’s the holiday season, I doubt that will happen quickly,” MacGyver explained.

“And once that’s done we’ll need to work on fixing or salvaging whatever we can,” Evelyn sighed.

“Guess that’s one way to get things done around here,” Joanna quipped, trying to lighten the dark mood that had descended.

“Well, I have to go to my office and make some phone calls,” Evelyn announced. “You all can go ahead and leave. I’ll lock up.”

“I need to get back to the family,” Carl said. “Sorry I can’t be of more help.”

MacGyver shook Carl’s had and slapped him on the shoulder. “Don’t worry about it. You have yourself a good holiday.” Carl smiled sadly and headed toward the exit.

Sam looked at his dad. “I’ll go get the party supplies and put them in the car. I’ll wait for you there.” MacGyver nodded his acknowledgement.

That left Joanna. She was looking down at the floor, her face drawn. He gingerly reached out, putting two of his fingers under her chin and gently raising her head until he could see the sadness in her weary brown eyes.

“Hey, it’s gonna be okay. We’ll figure this out.”

“Do you think someone is really trying to impersonate you?” she asked.

Mac dropped his hand from her face. “It’s beginning to look that way,” he conceded.

“But why?”

“I don’t know, but I’m workin’ on it.”

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted: 7 February 2019 - 01:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

...so, will Our Hero turn out to be suffering the effects of too much paperwork and not enough Exciting Field Shenanigans, and wake up one morning covered in incriminating spray paint stains?

I shall stay tuned for more!

(well, it *could* happen.)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 7 February 2019 - 02:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 7 February 2019 - 01:50 PM)
...so, will Our Hero turn out to be suffering the effects of too much paperwork and not enough Exciting Field Shenanigans, and wake up one morning covered in incriminating spray paint stains?

I shall stay tuned for more!

(well, it *could* happen.)

thumbsup.gif

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 7 February 2019 - 06:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I was worried for a moment that Joanna and Mac were going to have some huge fight because she was going to accuse him :/

When she said, “And of course she’d never press charges against you. Maybe that’s what you’re counting on!” I thought, "Maybe someone else is counting on that. They're trying to frame him hmm.bmp "

“Who knew a little old lady would fight us for the last plastic punch bowl, and win!”
Oh my gosh roller.gif

“Let’s swing by Challengers and drop this stuff off so it’s there tomorrow when the kids come to decorate,”
My first thought was, "You'll leave it, then someone will steal it." Apparently it was worse than that >_<

“Hey man, what’s the problem?” Sam asked, annoyed.
Show your father some respect, Sam laugh.gif

“You know,” Evelyn pondered, “with that shaggy blond hair poking out of the ski mask, he could pass himself off as MacGyver!”
You're not helping, Evelyn dry.gif

“Is there anyone else who can corroborate this?”

“No,” Mac answered softly.
Uh... Pete and Connie?

MacGyver smiled reassuringly. “Everything’s fine. Unfortunately, we’ll have to cancel the New Year’s party, though.”

“But why?” Sam protested.

“We need to get professionals in here to clean up this mess and notify the insurance company so they can send someone out to inspect the damage. Given that it’s the holiday season, I doubt that will happen quickly,” MacGyver explained.
You could find someone else who has an idea of where else to host it. Maybe the Thorntons know?

PM                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 13 February 2019 - 08:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Chapter 26: Snowbound

The next morning MacGyver, Evelyn, and Joanna gathered solemnly around the large table in the teachers’ lounge to await the restoration crew and insurance agent. Every now and again one of them would voice a theory regarding the motive or identity of the vandal. So far, all they could determine was that it had to be someone with access to and familiarity with the building who wanted the Challengers program to end. No one mentioned that the perpetrator might be trying to frame MacGyver, but the notion niggled at all of them. After about an hour, Mac glanced at his watch and sighed heavily.

“The kids are gonna be here soon to start decorating for the party. I need to meet them and tell them the bad news.”

“I’ll come with you,” Joanna offered.

MacGyver was about to tell her he could handle it, but if he was honest with himself, he craved her company and moral support. They reached the main entrance as the first students arrived. Once the entire group had assembled, Mac explained what had happened to the gym and the need to cancel the New Year’s Eve party. This announcement was met with the expected groans of disappointment.

“We don’t have to have it in the gym,” one of the older boys spoke up. “Why can’t we use the rec room? That way we could play games and stuff. That might be even more fun!” Several teenage heads nodded and enthusiasm began to bloom.

MacGyver glanced at Joanna and saw the concern on her face.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Mac announced, causing another round of moans of teenage angst. “So far whoever is doing this has only targeted the property, but to be on the safe side, I want to keep everyone out of the building until this person is caught.”

The teens once again expressed their displeasure, but this time it was tempered with understanding and they quietly began to disperse. As MacGyver turned to head toward his office he caught sight of an unfamiliar beige sedan pulling into the parking lot. Joanna must have seen it, too, as she stood steadfastly by his side. Together they watched as the car stopped and a petite woman emerged from the driver’s side. The passenger door opened to reveal a heavy-set balding man climbing to his feet.

MacGyver burst through the door with Joanna on his heels.

“Pete! Connie!” he called. “What are you guys doing here?!”

“I told you we’d be passing through on our way up to Door County,” Connie explained as she hugged him. “We went to your place, but Sam said you were here, so here we are!”

“Well come on in,” MacGyver invited. “Evelyn’s here as well.”

“Wonderful!” Connie exclaimed. “Now we can all catch up!” She linked arms with Jo and they quickly headed into the school, Mac leading Pete at a slower pace.

“I thought everyone was on winter break. What are you all doing here?” Pete asked suspiciously.

MacGyver tried to keep his voice light. “There was an incident in the gym yesterday we needed to take care of.”

Pete stopped in his tracks causing Mac to do the same. “What kind of incident?” the older man asked.

“It’s nothing, Pete,” MacGyver began walking again. “A pipe in the locker room burst and flooded the place. We’re just here to make sure everything gets taken care of.” Mac didn’t like lying to his friend, but he didn’t want to upset the older man either.

Connie turned toward MacGyver as he and Pete entered the teachers’ lounge.

“Joanna just told me about the gym. What a shame you had to cancel the party. Those old pipes chose the worst time to burst!” She shook her head in dismay.

“You can say that again,” Mac agreed as he looked at Jo who shrugged one shoulder. He was relieved their white lies meshed, but he was also amazed at how attuned they were to each other, at least on this point.

“So I guess that leaves you without any New Year’s plans,” Connie remarked.

“Dear…” Pete drew out the one syllable word as a warning which his wife chose to ignore.

“Why don’t you all come up to the B&B and we can celebrate together?” she suggested eagerly.

“That sounds lovely!” Evelyn exclaimed before frowning. “Unfortunately, I’ve already promised to meet some friends for dinner and a movie that night. We haven’t all been together since I retired from the correctional facility and who knows when we’ll all be able to meet up like this again.”

“Well, perhaps some other time,” Connie reassured her friend and then turned to Mac and Joanna. “What about you two? You no longer have a party to chaperone.”

“Isn’t the place all booked up?” Jo asked skeptically.

“That’s the beauty of it!” Connie declared. “They haven’t opened to the public yet. We’ll have the place all to ourselves. Sort of a trial run for the new owners!”

MacGyver sensed Joanna’s conflict over the sudden invitation so he pulled her aside as unobtrusively as possible.

“I know this is unexpected,” he told her quietly, “but it might be good for us to get away from here for a while.”

“But what if something else happens?”

“I’m gonna talk to the police and have them increase patrols in the area. Besides, if someone is impersonating me, they can’t do it if I’m not here. How can I be in two places at once?”

MacGyver could still see the indecision in Joanna’s eyes. He gave her his most charming smile. The one they both knew she couldn’t resist.

“You don’t play fair, MacGyver,” Jo complained.

“You’re just saying that because I won,” he remarked smartly, earning himself a playful slap on the shoulder.

On New Year’s Eve Day, Connie Thornton maneuvered her sedan into the empty parking lot of The Open Arms Bed and Breakfast. She had insisted they all ride together so Sam could use the Nomad while they were gone. MacGyver had readily agreed since he was not anxious to expose the classic vehicle to the unforgiving winter environment the Door County Peninsula could provide.

Climbing from the passenger seat, Joanna stood and stretched her back and leg muscles as she admired the historic three-story home in front of her. More like a traditional Southern mansion, the building was painted a sunny yellow with white gingerbread trim and winter greenery draped on the railing of the wraparound porch. The front door opened and a couple about her age hurried to greet them. They introduced themselves as Beth and Dean Richards, the owners of the establishment. Dean and MacGyver quickly unloaded the luggage from the trunk and soon the group stood in the large foyer divesting themselves of winter coats and snow boots.

Dean picked up the Thornton’s luggage and led them to their third floor suite while Beth led Joanna and MacGyver to their respective rooms on the second floor. Mac’s room was decorated in deep burgundies accented with pale yellow that exuded a welcoming warmth. He promptly deposited his duffle bag on the bed and began to unpack after assuring Beth that the room more than met his needs.

Joanna’s room was across the hall from MacGyver’s, and when Beth opened the door Jo was greeted with soothing cornflower blue and white décor. She was pleased to see that she had a private bathroom as well as a bay window with a bench seat…a perfect reading nook. The four poster bed was covered with a handmade Amish quilt in the wedding ring design. Across from the bed was a large stone fireplace. A heavy wooden dresser and padded rocking chair completed the furnishings.

“I trust these accommodations will be adequate?” Beth asked.

Joanna turned to the other woman and smiled. “Definitely more than adequate,” she assured her host. “This room, this entire house, is absolutely lovely. You and your husband have done a wonderful job with it.”

“Thank you,” Beth said. “We wanted each room to have its own ‘feel’, so to speak, so we varied the color schemes, but we made sure every room had a private bathroom and fireplace. Most of the furniture as well as all the quilts are Amish made.”

“I didn’t realize there were Amish communities nearby.”

“There aren’t. But a local store buys from Amish craftsmen throughout the state. If you have a chance you should check it out, but for now take your time getting settled. I’ll have a cold lunch buffet ready for everyone in the dining room.”

Joanna unpacked quickly, eager to join the others downstairs. However, she paused long enough to peer out the window and take in the surrounding landscape. Winter had come to the northern part of the state and a blanket of snow covered the ground. Except for some out buildings behind the B&B there were no other dwellings nearby and it had been a good ten minute drive from town, but no doubt the summer tourist season would see people flocking to the area in droves, triggering more construction.

After lunch, Beth gave her two female guests and MacGyver a tour of the main floor. A large sitting area with a wide screen television and huge fireplace occupied the front of the house. A big country kitchen with commercial appliances sat off the dining area, and in the back of the house was another sitting area similar to the one in front. Large wood doors across from the stairs separated the owner’s private quarters from the rest of the house.

The foursome returned to the living room where Pete and Dean were sitting in wingback chairs discussing the next day’s college bowl games and making friendly wagers. Mac joined in the discussion and Beth excused herself to clean up the buffet.

“Oh, here, let us help with that,” Connie volunteered herself and Joanna.

“No need,” Beth said with an easy smile. “I’m going to have to get used to this for when we open for real.”

Connie then turned to Jo. “Well, in that case, how about we go into town and do a little shopping.”

“Sounds great,” Joanna replied. “Beth told me about a store that carries a lot of Amish products. I’d really like to check it out.”

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go!”

With Joanna and Connie gone for the afternoon and Dean assisting his wife with household chores, Pete and MacGyver relaxed in the front room, the TV turned to a news program. The reporter droned on about unrest in the Middle East and other areas around the globe and the attempts of the U.S. government to resolve the clashes as peacefully as possible.

“Do you miss it?” Pete suddenly asked MacGyver.

“Huh?” Mac had been staring out the window, paying little attention to the news program.

“I asked if you miss going out on missions,” Pete repeated.

“No, I really don’t,” MacGyver replied earnestly. “I actually enjoy knowing I’ll be sleeping in the same bed every night.”

“Well I’ll be!” Pete exclaimed. “I never thought I’d see the day when you settled down.”

“Maybe I never had a reason to until now,” Mac murmured.

“And what, or who, might that reason be?”

“I’d rather not say just yet,” MacGyver replied, becoming uncomfortable with this conversation.

“It’s Joanna, isn’t it?” Pete asked.

Mac remained silent.

“I knew it!” the older man exclaimed. “I knew there was something going on between you two the way Sam sang her praises at Christmas!”

“There’s nothing going on between us,” MacGyver said more forcefully than he had intended. “We’re friends, colleagues, that’s all.”

“Thou doth protest too much, my friend.”

Mac groaned. “Don’t go quoting Shakespeare on me. It’s not gonna work.”

Now it was Pete’s turn to be silent.

“OK, fine. Maybe I like Jo a little more than I let on.”

Pete turned toward his friend’s voice and cocked an eyebrow.

Mac sighed. “Maybe more than a little.”

“So what are you doing about it?”

“Nothing!” MacGyver exclaimed. “It’s not like that. She’s not like that!”

Pete shook his head in confusion. “You’re losing me, Mac.”

MacGyver jammed his fingers through his already mussed hair. “She’s not like any other woman I’ve been involved with, Pete. She’s sweet and innocent. Strong and tenacious. And she’s not looking for commitment.”

“It sounds like you finally met your match,” Pete chuckled.

“Maybe I have, Pete,” Mac responded quietly. “Maybe I have.”

A light snow was beginning to fall as Connie and Joanna emerged from a small shop that offered handmade jewelry and pottery and headed to the Amish store Beth had suggested they visit. The family-owned business sold mainly large, sturdy furniture, but it also carried homemade Amish candies and the quilts like Beth bought for the B&B.

While Connie admired the quality wood furnishings, Joanna’s attention was quickly snagged by a delicate quilt boasting pale hues of blue, green and pink that reminded her of a summer sunset. The price was a bit steep, but given the high quality of the product it seemed reasonable. Joanna quickly purchased it before she changed her mind. Connie approached as Jo was completing the transaction.

“It’s absolutely lovely!” Connie exclaimed.

“Thanks. It’s almost too pretty to use,” Jo remarked as she accepted her package and turned toward the door.

“The snow is coming down harder. I think we’d better head back,” Connie suggested and Joanna agreed.

They hadn’t been back on the road but a few minutes before Connie broke the amicable silence.

“How are you and MacGyver getting on these days?”

“We’re fine,” Joanna replied, her stomach beginning to roil in anticipation of the interrogation she knew was coming.

“Come on, Jo, it’s just us gals and a few snowflakes. How do you really feel about him? And don’t waste your breath trying to convince me you’re just friends.”

“But we are just friends. And that’s all we can ever be.”

“Now what makes you say that?” Connie asked, exasperated.

“I know we don’t know each other well, so you’ll just have to trust me when I say I’m not the kind of girl MacGyver would be interested in.”

“How so?”

Joanna looked out the passenger side window and sighed. “Mac is an intelligent, attractive, charming man who could have any woman he wanted, and probably has. He’s traveled all around the world and experienced things that I can’t even imagine. What in the world would he want with a shy, sheltered girl who’s lived in the same place, the same house, all her life?”

“Have you asked him?”

Joanna gasped, her eyes huge as saucers. “Of course not!”

“Don’t you think it’s about time you did?”

Jo sat in stunned silence at Connie’s suggestion.

By the time the two women returned to the B&B the snow was coming down harder and the wind had picked up already creating drifts and poor visibility.

“Thank goodness your back!” Pete exclaimed as they walked through the door. “The weather service just issued a winter storm warning for the area. Mac and Dean are out back chopping wood and Beth is gathering candles and flashlights in case the power goes out.”

“You don’t really think it will get that bad, do you?” Connie asked, a worried frown on her face.

“It depends on how the storm tracks,” Joanna explained. “There’s a good chance it will miss us.”

“She’s right,” MacGyver confirmed as he and Dean entered the room, stomping snow off their boots. “Either way there’s nothing we can do about it.”

That evening Beth prepared a delicious dinner in honor of the holiday and Connie insisted that both Beth and Dean join them in the dining room to share the meal. The winter wind whipped icy snow pellets against the house as the three couples savored the homemade food. Just as the dessert dishes were being cleared away the lights on the large chandelier above them flickered and went dark. Everyone held their breath as the seconds ticked by and the lights remained off.

“Looks like the power lines are down,” Dean declared as he and Beth went into action lighting candles and handing out flashlights while MacGyver stoked the fire. Soon the soft glow of the luminaries filled the living room and the little group settled into the comfortable chairs and sofas to await the New Year which was still a few hours away. At Connie’s urging, Beth and Dean recounted how they decided to take on the task of renovating and operating the B&B. Conversation flowed from there and time passed quickly. Suddenly the grandfather clock in the hallway began to peal. Everyone sat silently counting the number of chimes. Twelve.

“It’s midnight!” Connie exclaimed.

“Happy New Year, everyone,” Pete declared with a smile as the others joined in with similar wishes. Joanna watched as first Beth and Dean and then Connie and Pete welcomed in 1996 with a kiss. Then her gaze fell on MacGyver. He was standing nearby, hands shoved in the front pockets of his jeans, rocking back on his heels.

“What do you say?” he asked Jo with a lopsided grin.

“I hear it’s bad luck to break tradition.”

“Well, we can’t have that now, can we?” MacGyver took his hands out of his pockets and slowly approached Joanna who was now looking up at him. He placed his hands gently on her hips as he lowered his face and captured her lips in a soft, sweet kiss that ended way too soon.

“Happy New Year,” he whispered huskily resting his forehead against hers.

“Happy New Year,” she replied with a slow smile, her heart fluttering.

“I believe it’s time for us old folks to call it a year and go up to bed,” Connie announced.

“And us not-so-old folks as well,” Dean declared. “We’re gonna have a lot of snow to move around tomorrow if this storm keeps up.”

Everyone gathered their flashlights and said their good-nights while Dean and MacGyver made sure roaring fires were laid in the bedrooms along with extra wood.

Joanna donned her flannel pajamas and quickly crawled into the soft, warm bed. She put the new quilt she just bought over the one that was already there for extra warmth but sleep eluded her. She lay staring at the ceiling, listening to the howling wind and the crackling fire and thinking about the midnight kiss she had shared with MacGyver. It had been very much like the one they had shared in Chicago the evening of Pete and Connie’s wedding, but instead of the sweet happiness she had experienced then, she now felt sad and alone. Surely a man of MacGyver’s experience couldn’t remain satisfied with gentle, tender kisses. She had imagined that if Mac kissed her a second time it would be with more passion, more urgency. She sighed and turned on her side. Why was she making such a big deal about this? It was clearly just the obligatory New Year’s kiss with little if any emotion behind it. At least for him.

Hours later, as the snowstorm raged and the house slept, MacGyver sat wide awake on the living room floor in front of the fire. Leaning back against the coffee table, he plucked at the strings on the guitar Dean had loaned him earlier that day. He felt Joanna’s presence before he saw her standing in the shadows wrapped in a quilt.

“That’s a pretty song,” she commented quietly. “What’s it called.”

“Eau d’Leo”

“I’m sorry, but it doesn’t sound familiar,” Joanna frowned.

“It shouldn’t. It’s just a little tune I came up with a while back.”

Joanna’s jaw literally dropped and MacGyver had to work to suppress a laugh.

“I’d say it’s more than ‘just a little tune’,” she told him. “Have you written anything else?”

“Nope,” he answered succinctly before asking, “What brings you down here?”

“The fire in my room went out.”

“No problem, I’ll go start another,” he said as he began to get up.

“Don’t bother,” she stopped him. “If you don’t mind sharing this one I can stay down here. I hate to waste all that wood on just me. We might need it later.”

This time MacGyver did allow a small laugh to escape. “That’s the same reason I’m down here. Have a seat and stay a while.” He patted the floor next to him and she lowered herself to face the fire.

As they sat next to each other, staring at the flames consuming the logs all too quickly, Mac surreptitiously studied the woman next to him. Her skin was smooth and her cheeks flushed from the heat of the fire. Her brown eyes were warm and…sad. MacGyver longed to take her in his arms and make the sadness go away, but he forced himself to remain still. It had taken all the strength he had to keep their New Year’s kiss brief and chaste. Joanna was not the kind of girl one trifled with. She deserved his respect and patience. He noticed her eyelids getting heavy and suggested she move to the couch but she refused.

“It’s so nice and warm right here,” she murmured sleepily, pulling the quilt tighter around her shoulders as she stretched out on the floor in front of the fireplace. MacGyver grabbed a throw pillow from a chair to put under her head and one for himself as well as he lie down beside her, careful to leave space between them. His last memory before drifting off to sleep was the fruity smell of her hair and what it would feel like to run his fingers through it.

Cold. It was so cold. And the ground was hard. MacGyver shivered and slowly opened his eyes to get his bearings. Joanna lay next to him still snuggled in her quilt, but the fireplace was dark and bare. They must have slept for hours. He rolled over and attempted to rise, but his entire body protested. There was a time when he thought nothing of sleeping on the ground or even in his Jeep. A time when couches and beds were a luxury. Using the coffee table as leverage, he managed to stand on his second attempt. He stretched out the taut muscles in his neck and back as he made his way to the window and pulled back the heavy drapes he had drawn the night before to help keep the cold at bay. Bright rays of winter sunlight glistening on the freshly fallen snow greeted him. The storm was over. He heard a soft moan behind him and turned to find Joanna fighting with her quilt as she struggled to sit up.

“Need some help?” he asked with a smirk.

“I’m fine,” she replied indignantly as she worked to massage the small of her back.

MacGyver walked over to her and held out his hand. “Here, grab on.”

She looked at him as if he had just offered her a poisoned apple, but then with a sigh she latched on and allowed him to pull her to her feet.

“Floors aren’t as soft as they used to be,” he observed.

“You can say that again,” she groaned, rubbing her back with one hand and her head with the other.

“Why don’t you go upstairs and take a long, hot shower?” Mac suggested.

“How? The water pump runs on electricity.”

“Maybe it’s back on,” Mac said hopefully as he walked to the far wall and flipped the light switch. “Nothing,” he sighed.

“Lights won’t be on for at least two more days,” Dean informed them as he came down the stairs followed by his wife and the Thornton’s. “And we’ll be lucky if the snowplow gets here any sooner.”

“So we’re stranded?” Joanna asked, quickly wrapping herself in the quilt when she realized she was still in her pajamas.

“Don’t listen to Dean,” his wife scoffed. “He exaggerates. We’ve been through a lot worse. The plows will surely come through by tomorrow.” She turned to her husband. “Now let’s get the generator going so I can fix our guests a proper breakfast.”

The pair headed into the kitchen leaving Connie to stare at Mac and Jo before she hurriedly whispered into Pete’s ear whose grin grew wider the longer she talked.

“Um, if you’ll excuse us, Joanna and I were just heading upstairs to change,” Mac said.

“Now you hold on one minute, young man,” Connie instructed. “Did you two spend the night down here?”

“No!” Joanna quickly answered. “I came down when the fire in my bedroom died. Just a couple hours ago.”

Mac let go a strangled cough. “We decided to share the fire here instead of wasting wood on another one.” He winced as he felt Connie’s eyes bore into his very soul.

“What a wonderful idea!” she exclaimed. “I say we all sleep here tonight to conserve the wood that’s left. Now you two go upstairs and change. Breakfast will be ready in no time!”

The rest of New Year’s Day was spent dealing with snow removal. Dean and MacGyver plowed the long driveway and parking lot. Beth and Joanna shoveled out the Thornton’s car and made a walkway to the front porch and cleaned off the steps. Connie and Pete monitored a battery operated transistor radio to stay aware of road and weather conditions in the area. All reports indicated that their area had been the bullseye for the strong winter storm and surrounding roads and communities where already cleaned up and passable. Just after supper a city snow plow came down and cleared the road in front of the B&B, and the group determined they would leave in the morning.

Since the power was still out, everyone slept in the living room that night, a fire roaring in the large fireplace. Beth and Dean pulled their mattress into the room for Pete and Connie while the younger couple crawled into sleeping bags on the floor. MacGyver and Joanna each took a couch. They all fell into a deep sleep and if someone snored, no one heard it.

Early the following morning everyone returned to their rooms to pack. Connie was carefully folding her clothes and placing them in the suitcase that lay open on the bed when she let out a long sigh.

“What’s the matter, dear?” Pete asked, gingerly feeling for and packing his own clothes.

“I’m worried about Mac and Jo.”

“Why? What happened?”

“Nothing’s happened. That’s the problem!” Connie sighed again and sat down on the edge of the bed.

“What do you mean?”

“I really think those two were made for each other, but they’re both holding back. I know for a fact Joanna has strong feelings for MacGyver, but she refuses to believe he could be interested in her as anything more than a friend.”

Pete chuckled. “I have it on good authority that Mac is pretty crazy about her as well, but she’s so different than the girls he normally meets he’s not quite sure what to do with her.”

“Well, I think it’s about time somebody—“

“Now hold it right there,” Pete ordered his wife. “This is something they need to work out for themselves. Promise me you won’t interfere.”

Connie was silent for several seconds before she grudgingly agreed.

“But before we go, could you do me a favor?” she asked her husband.

Now it was Pete’s turn to sigh. “You want me to talk to MacGyver.”

MacGyver had just finished packing and was zipping up his duffel bag when someone knocked on his door.

“It’s open,” he called and looked up to see Pete hesitantly stepping across the threshold. MacGyver hurried over and led his friend to a chair.

“Are you all set to go?” Mac asked.

“Yeah. Connie’s just making sure we haven’t left anything behind.”

MacGyver nodded, but then remembered Pete couldn’t see the gesture. “Did you need something?” he asked.

The older man grimaced.

“Pete, what’s up?” Mac asked slowly.

“It’s about you and Joanna.”

“Aw man, we already talked about this!”

“Have you considered asking her out on a date?” Pete asked.

“Why? We already spend a lot of time together.”

“Sure, playing air hockey, eating pizza, and getting caught in tornadoes and blizzards. Why can’t you two go out on a real date like regular people?”

“Maybe we’re not like regular people,” Mac retorted.

“Or maybe you’re afraid she’ll turn you down?” Pete countered. “Look, I probably shouldn’t say this, but Connie told me that Joanna doesn’t think you could be interested in her.”

“What?! That’s ridiculous!” MacGyver exclaimed.

“Apparently not to her,” Pete said softly.

Mac jammed his fingers through his hair. “Fine. I’ll think about it,” he responded as he grabbed his bag and headed for the door.

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 13 February 2019 - 02:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

It was clearly just the obligatory New Year’s kiss with little if any emotion behind it. At least for him.
*deep inhale* BOI! laugh.gif

Joanna asked, quickly wrapping herself in the quilt when she realized she was still in her pajamas.
That didn't bother you before wink.gif

The pair headed into the kitchen leaving Connie to stare at Mac and Jo before she hurriedly whispered into Pete’s ear whose grin grew wider the longer she talked.
Yeah, you couldn't be any more subtle rolleyes.gif

“Um, if you’ll excuse us, Joanna and I were just heading upstairs to change,” Mac said.
blink.gif Well, that sounded a little more promiscuous than intended laugh.gif

“What a wonderful idea!” she exclaimed. “I say we all sleep here tonight to conserve the wood that’s left. Now you two go upstairs and change. Breakfast will be ready in no time!”
What? Uh, okay tongue.gif

“Sure, playing air hockey, eating pizza, and getting caught in tornadoes and blizzards. Why can’t you two go out on a real date like regular people?”

“Maybe we’re not like regular people,” Mac retorted.
Checkmate tongue.gif

PM                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted: 13 February 2019 - 02:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

...they oughta cart MacGyver off to Phoenix for psychic testing, after that shenanigan with the pipes

also find the notion of Mac unable to sleep on floors anyone oddly relatable and hilarious.

Is Jo asexual? Plenty of girls on the series would have thrown themselves at Mac by now, if they'd had half as much encouragement as Mac's given her.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 13 February 2019 - 02:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Persona non grata @ 13 February 2019 - 02:09 PM)

Is Jo asexual? Plenty of girls on the series would have thrown themselves at Mac by now, if they'd had half as much encouragement as Mac's given her.

Jo's fine...just keep reading whistle.gif

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 20 February 2019 - 07:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Chapter 27: Like Normal People

MacGyver and Joanna returned to work the second week in January to prepare for the upcoming semester. Evelyn reported that there had been no new acts of vandalism and the police still did not have any leads. Of course, she also had to tease them about getting stuck in a blizzard and how they seemed to attract natural disasters.

Joanna was sitting at her computer catching up on some data entry when MacGyver tapped softly on her door. The serious look on his face and rigid posture immediately caused her concern.

“Is something wrong?” she asked anxiously.

“May I come in?”

“Of course.” Joanna was getting seriously worried. She and Mac had long gotten past the point of asking permission to enter one another’s office. Mac entered and seated himself across from her.

“What’s up?” she asked, fearing he was going to tell her he had found more vandalism.

“I was wondering if, um,” he paused to clear his throat. “Would you like to go out to dinner Friday night?” he said in a rush.

OK, that hadn’t been what she was expecting, but it was a welcomed idea since they hadn’t seen much of each other since New Year’s.

“Sure. We haven’t done pizza in a while. Is Sam coming too?”

MacGyver crossed then uncrossed his legs, shifting in the chair. She had never seen him so unsure of himself.

“Um, no. I thought it could just be the two of us.”

Joanna eyed him suspiciously. “Are you asking me out on a date?”

“No! I mean, I know you don’t date colleagues, I just thought—“ MacGyver stopped and Jo raised her eyebrows. He took a deep breath. “Yes, I’m asking you out on a date. I thought we could go to that Italian restaurant you like so much.”

Joanna sat back in her chair to consider his invitation.

“Look,” Mac said, sounding more like himself. “It’s been a while since we’ve been together, just the two of us. I thought it might be nice to—“

“I’d love to!” she cut him off.

“Great,” he smiled warmly. “Pick you up at six?”

“I’ll be ready.”

“How do I look?”

Sam repositioned himself on the couch. “Don’t you think you’re a little overdressed?”

MacGyver looked down at his suit and tie. Yeah, maybe it was a bit much, especially for him. He bounded back up the spiral staircase, changed into a collarless shirt and ditched the coat and tie.

“What time are you picking her up?” Sam called.

“Six.”

“You better hustle!”

“Yes, dad,” Mac mumbled under his breath as he headed downstairs.

“How’s this?” he asked, standing in front of Sam.

“Better. But I don’t get what the big deal is. It’s just Jo.”

“Tonight’s….different,” MacGyver hedged.

Sam’s investigative instincts sprang to life. “Really? How so?”

“It just is,” Mac stated.

“Hey, I get it now,” Sam’s eyes sparkled with mirth. “You and Jo are going out on a date! A real date like normal people!”

“That’s what I’m planning,” MacGyver replied, running a finger between his neck and suddenly too-tight banded collar.

“But why are you so stressed out? You’ve been out on thousands of dates.”

Mac cocked his head and eyed his son. “I wouldn’t say ‘thousands’.”

“You know what I mean,” Sam scoffed.

“Let’s just say that this one is kinda…special.”

“You really like her, don’t you?” Sam asked, his voice serious for the first time that evening.

“Yeah, I do,” MacGyver confirmed. “She’s a good friend and I don’t want to mess things up.”

“Then why are you going out with her?”

Mac refused to tell his son he was doing this because Pete told him to so he decided to evade the question altogether.

“I gotta go,” he told Sam, and hurried out the door.

“Hurry up, Joanna! MacGyver will be here any minute!” Judy Fairfax hollered upstairs to her daughter.

“I’m coming, Mother!” Jo called back.

Her hands shook as she attempted to apply a coat of mascara to her eyelashes. She lowered the wand and took a deep breath. What was the big deal? She and MacGyver were good friends and they spent a lot of time together. But neither one of them had ever considered their shared activities as a date. That was the big deal. At least to her.

“He’s here!” her mom announced.

Joanna threw the tube of makeup on her dresser. It wasn’t like he was going to be gazing longingly into her eyes. He didn’t do things like that with her. At least he never had before.

MacGyver was standing in the small foyer when Jo reached the bottom step. The sight of him made her pause. Sure, she had seen him in various dress clothes before, but that was always for a work-related function. Tonight it was for her.

“You look great,” he smiled, his voice low and confident.

She looked down self-consciously at the red turtle-neck sweater she had paired with a long black suede skirt and dress boots.

“Thanks, you do, too,” she replied, hoping she was the only one who noticed the quiver in her voice. She reached for her wool coat.

“Here, let me.” MacGyver grabbed the coat and held it out for her.

OK, this was weird. Nice, but weird.

Mac escorted her out the door and to the car, his hand never leaving the small of her back. He opened the passenger door and only closed it when she indicated she was settled in. They engaged in idle chit chat during the short drive and upon arriving at the restaurant, she waited politely as he hurried around the car to open the door and help her out. The hostess seated them immediately and the server took their order promptly. Then they were alone. Voices and laughter from other patrons surrounded them, yet they remained silent, not knowing quite what to say. MacGyver was the first to break the ice.

“Do you feel as awkward as I do?” he asked quietly.

Joanna felt her shoulders relax and relief flood her body. “Absolutely!” she replied.

“Promise you won’t get mad when I tell you this, but it was all Pete’s idea.”

“I figured it was something like that,” Joanna laughed softly. “And I’m not angry with you, but why did you go along with it?”

“It seemed like a good idea at the time?” Mac shrugged.

“And now?”

“Not so much.” They both laughed before Mac became serious again. He reached across the table and put his hand over hers. “I hope you know that I really do care about you even if I don’t get dressed up and take you to fancy places.” Then he chuckled and shook his head. “Can you believe I changed clothes twice and got the Nomad washed just for tonight?”

“Why?” Joanna chuckled along with him.

“I wanted to make a good impression.”

“Don’t you think it’s a little late for that?”

MacGyver met her gaze and squeezed her hand. “I didn’t want to mess things up between us. Are we still okay?”

“We’re perfect,” she assured him.

“Can I ask you one more thing?”

“Sure.”

“Why do you only have mascara on one eye?”

Late Monday morning, MacGyver was sitting at his desk reviewing the estimate for the repairs to the gym. Evelyn had asked him to look at the proposal to make sure they were getting a fair deal, but Mac couldn’t concentrate on the numbers. His mind kept reverting back to Friday night. Had he done the right thing bailing on the whole ‘date’ idea, or was he just running from his feelings again? Joanna had visibly relaxed once they had decided to share a meal as just friends and they did have a good time. Feeling too restless to spend the next four hours stuck behind his desk, MacGyver decided to go to the Pettit Center and skate off some energy. There would probably be some kids from Challengers there that he could work with as well. On his way out, he poked his head in Joanna’s office to let her know of his plans.

“Just wanted to let you know I’ll be at the hockey rink if you need me.”

“Sounds good,” she acknowledged, looking away from her computer screen.

MacGyver was ready to be on his way when she spoke again.

“Hey Mac, thanks for Friday night. I really had a good time.”

Mac took a couple steps into her office. “You’re welcome. I enjoyed it too. I’m just sorry I made us both uncomfortable by taking Pete’s advice and trying to turn it into a date.”

Joanna smiled at him softly. “I’m not. I really appreciate everything you did to try and make the night special, but…”

Oh great. Here it comes. The brush off. What would it be this time? ‘Let’s just be friends’, ‘I’m not your type,’ ‘It’s not you, it’s me’?

He almost didn’t hear Joanna continue, “…we’ve known each other for almost a year now. We’ve been through a lot together and we’ve learned a lot about each other. I think we’re kinda past the dating stage, don’t you?”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Mac replied, a bit unsure about what he was agreeing with. “Well, I’m gonna grab the equipment and get outta here.”

“Have fun,” Joanna called after him as he made a hasty retreat.

MacGyver had been at the rink skating around imaginary defensemen and faking out invisible goalies for about an hour before a large number of his team from Challengers arrived.

“We heard you were here and thought we might do some extra practice,” Raul called as he entered the rink.

“Glad you came. I was getting bored playing by myself!” MacGyver smiled inwardly at the efficiency of the neighborhood grapevine as the teens took to the ice and began warming up.

Mac had just started leading the boys in some organized drills when he saw Joanna descending the stairs and heading for the home team bench. He skated over to greet her.

“Hey! Didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Things were kinda slow at work. I hope you don’t mind that I came?”

“Not at all. But you might want to go stand behind the glass. The guys are improving, but there are always some shots that get away from them.”

MacGyver made sure Jo was safely behind the clear barrier before he allowed the practice to continue. His heart warmed as Joanna yelled encouragement to the team and cheered when a play had been executed successfully. He was in the middle of giving the players a lesson on the finer points of a slap shot when he noticed Winston, one of the rink managers, motioning for him from the bench. Mac once again halted practice and skated over to the boards.

“Sorry to interrupt, Mr. MacGyver, but you have a phone call in the office. The man said it was urgent.”

“Thanks, I’ll be right there.”

“You guys keep practicing your shots. I’ll be right back,” he called to the players as he shook off his bulky gloves and put on his blade guards to protect his skates as he walked up to the managers’ offices.

“Make sure they don’t slack off while I’m gone,” he instructed Joanna light-heartedly as he passed her.

Winston directed MacGyver to the office which had a large window looking out over both rinks. Mac picked up the phone, keeping an eye on his team.

“Hello?”

Silence.

“Hello?

More silence.

“Who is this?” Mac demanded as he watched Damon’s shot get away from him, the puck hurtling through the air. The next few seconds went by in slow motion as MacGyver saw Joanna turn and crouch, covering her head with her arms at the same time the puck hit the clear barrier, exploding loudly in a flash of light and shattering the protective glass.

MacGyver dropped the receiver and barreled out of the office towards where Joanna and the rest of the team were now standing.

“Are you all right?” Mac asked breathlessly as he helped Jo remove the pellets of tempered glass from her coat and hair.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she replied, MacGyver checking her hands and face for cuts.

The boys were chatting excitedly about what had just occurred.

“Wow, did you see that flash?” one asked.

“It made so much noise!” another exclaimed.

Damon’s eyes were huge. “I didn’t think I hit it that hard.”

“You didn’t,” Mac stated as he retrieved the puck which was now in pieces with colored wires sticking out.

“Is that what I think it is?” Joanna asked in little more than a whisper.

MacGyver nodded. “It was wired to explode.”

“On impact?” she asked.

Mac examined the pieces in his hand. “No. Something like this would need a detonator.”

“What happened?!” Winston asked in a panic as he hurried over to the small group.

“You’d better call the police,” MacGyver instructed.

A short while later, the hockey rink was taped off and swarming with police officers and crime scene technicians. Joanna and Mac had been separated for questioning while the teens were giving their statements as a group.

MacGyver calmly explained everything that had happened leading up to and including the incident before the officer began peppering him with questions.

“Who has access to the equipment?”

“Myself and the custodians,” Mac replied. “We keep it locked in a storage closet at the school.”

“Were you here when it happened?”

“No. I was in the office on the phone.” MacGyver pointed to the room with the large window.

“Who were you on the phone with?”

“No one. I was told I had an urgent call, but when I picked it up there was no one on the line.”

The officer continued to ask questions and scribble down the answers he received.

“You said the puck had been tampered with and then detonated. How would you know something like this?”

“I did a lot of bomb diffusing and disposal in Vietnam and the Middle East.”

Just then one of the crime scene techs approached the officer, handed him a small box and whispered in his ear before returning to continue investigating. The officer held out the small box to Mac.

“What does this look like to you?”

“A detonator,” MacGyver replied flatly.

“It was found in a nearby trash can wiped clean of prints just outside the managers’ office. I’m afraid I’m going to have to take you in for further questioning, Mr. MacGyver.”

“What?!” Mac exclaimed. “You think I’m a suspect?!”

“You had the means and opportunity,” the officer responded plainly.

“But I didn’t do it! Someone is trying to set me up!”

“Is that so?” the officer almost sneered. “Now, you can either cooperate and come to the station or I can arrest you right here and take you out in cuffs.”

Mac glanced over at Joanna who was being kept away from him by another officer. The look on her face was a mixture of fear and confusion, but mostly of anger.

“I’ll cooperate,” MacGyver conceded.

As two officers escorted him past Joanna he asked her to let Sam know what was happening.

“But don’t call Pete,” he instructed. “Do you hear me? Do not call Pete!

Joanna’s head was spinning and her heart was beating double-time. Once MacGyver had left the building the officer who had taken her statement gave her permission to leave as well.

“What about the boys?” she asked, watching the little group huddled together on the opposite side of the rink.

“We’ll take care of them, ma’am. You go on home and be sure to call us if you remember anything else to add to your statement.”

Joanna nodded and headed for the parking lot. She had to get to MacGyver, but first she had to talk to Sam.

“Are they crazy?! Dad wouldn’t do anything like that!”

“I know,” Joanna tried to reassure Sam.

“We have to do something!” he insisted. Joanna agreed, but she had no clue how to deal with something like this. Suddenly she had an idea and grabbed MacGyver’s phone.

“Evelyn, it’s Jo. Mac’s in trouble,” she said when her boss answered her call.
“I thought you might still have some connections in law enforcement who could help him,” Joanna concluded after summarizing the events of the previous couple hours.

“I do know a lawyer who owes me a favor. I’ll have him meet you at the station.”

“Thanks,” Jo replied before abruptly disconnecting the call.

Sam and Jo hurried through the doors of the police precinct only to be greeted by a very large African-American man dressed in a suit and tie and carrying a briefcase.

“Sam Malloy and Joanna Fairfax?” he asked. His voice deep and calm.

They nodded in unison and then the man introduced himself.

“Name’s Leroy Jackson. I’m a lawyer and friend of Evelyn Quinn.”

“Thank you so much for coming down on such short notice,” Joanna said as they shook hands.

“No problem. I owed Evelyn a favor. A big one.”

“Where’s my dad? What’s happening?” Sam demanded.

Leroy put a large hand on the young man’s shoulder which Sam quickly shoved off.

“Now calm down, Sam. I just saw your dad. They have him in an interrogation room for now. He’ll be fine as long as he keeps his mouth shut. Right now, I need to speak with both of you.”

Leroy led Sam and Jo to a small conference room and closed the door tightly. “Tell me everything you know.”

Joanna told the lawyer about the graffiti, the flooded gym, and the figure on the surveillance tape before launching into the incident at the ice rink. When she finished Leroy headed back to the interrogation room to plead Mac’s case.

For the next two hours Joanna and Sam took turns pacing the small room while waiting for some news. Every now and again a secretary would come in and offer them water or coffee.

“What’s taking so long?” Sam grumbled, running his fingers through his hair just like his father.

“I don’t know,” Jo responded. “Right now we just have to trust Mr. Jackson.”

No sooner had the words left her mouth than the door opened and Leroy entered the room followed by MacGyver. He motioned for everyone to have a seat.

“Are you okay, Mac?” Joanna asked quietly.

“I’ve been through worse,” he responded as he slouched in his chair.

Leroy loudly cleared his throat and waited until all eyes were on him. He then leaned forward and began talking.

“The good news is that no one is pressing charges against MacGyver…yet. The evidence is mainly circumstantial and, though they could try and prove means and opportunity, there is no motive. They’re biding their time until they can make a stronger case.”

“Are they going to investigate the angle that my dad is being framed?” Sam asked anxiously.

Leroy sighed. “Unfortunately they think that idea is a bit far-fetched. Fortunately, I don’t. I’m going to make some phone calls and get my people on the case.” He turned toward MacGyver. “Don’t worry, man, we’ll get you out of this. In the meantime, it would really help if you could come up with a list of people who might be behind this.” The lawyer rose and gave each of them his business card before hastily leaving.

“C’mon, Dad,” Sam prodded. “You must know someone with a grudge against you.”

MacGyver shook his head and laughed humorlessly. “That’s just it. There are a lot of someone’s who would like to take me down.”

The somber trio left the precinct and headed toward Joanna’s car. The sun was almost below the horizon and no one noticed the black compact car parked across the street, but the driver took careful notice of them.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“What do you mean they let him go?!” a voice bellowed, causing the man in the black car to hold the cellular phone away from his ear.

“They hired some lawyer dude and all walked out of the police station together.”

“What about the girl? You think she’ll turn on him?”

“No way. She’s sticking to him like glue. Saw them getting pretty cozy at a restaurant last week.”

The voice let loose with a string of curses. “This is all your fault! How could you mess up like this?!”

“I did everything according to plan,” the man in the car yelled back. “I wore that stupid disguise, planted the bomb, then made that prank call and detonated the puck just like you told me!”

“I have one more job for you. If you fail, I’ll see to it that both you and MacGyver permanently disappear!”

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 20 February 2019 - 07:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

“I’d love to!” she cut him off.
They've come so far! wub.gif

Sam repositioned himself on the couch. “Don’t you think you’re a little overdressed?”
That is not the Mac we know blink.gif

MacGyver looked down at his suit and tie. Yeah, maybe it was a bit much, especially for him. He bounded back up the spiral staircase, changed into a collarless shirt and ditched the coat and tie.
Now there's the Mac we know biggrin.gif

“Yes, dad,” Mac mumbled under his breath as he headed downstairs.
I choked XD

I do,” MacGyver confirmed. “She’s a good friend and I don’t want to mess things up.”

“Then why are you going out with her?”
Was that supposed to be an insult? Because that was the sickest burn ever w00t.gif biggrin.gif nasty.gif tongue.gif

Joanna is me. Or how I would be if someone asked me out

“Can I ask you one more thing?”

“Sure.”

“Why do you only have mascara on one eye?”
I choked harder roller.gif

It's Murdoc, isn't it?

PM                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 21 February 2019 - 06:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 20 February 2019 - 07:35 PM)
It's Murdoc, isn't it?

Hmmmm...I guess you'll just have to wait and see... hmm.bmp

Jody~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Persona non grata
Posted: 21 February 2019 - 05:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

In which Mac manages not to cut off a budding romance at the knees, by wearing one of his dreadful ties on a date. The man should not have been allowed to choose his own formalwear, he's rubbish at it.

Anyway it ought to be obvious that Mac would never wire a hockey puck to explode; he's figure that was sacrilegious.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (7) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... Last » Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll