DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Is it just me or does everyone here want to live on a houseboat, and have a weekend haunt of a log cabin by the side of a lake in the middle of no-where and be a free spirit with a load of friends that are there when they need them?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 09:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Nope, don't even care for waterbeds. I do live in the woods, though ... but have done so long since MacGyver first aired. smile.gif

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 09:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:

I've always wanted a log cabin, but we don't really do wilderness here like you guys in the states, so I have to make do with a caravan by the coast.

I'd love to be more of a free spirit, I truly hate my job and the confines it brings with it, but I don't have Mac's ingenuity, so I'm stuck! I do drive a 4x4, but not a Jeep, so I guess that's as close as I'm going to get.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 09:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

MacsJeep, ditto on the lack of wilderness - those Stateside don't realise how lucky they are do they? Also, ditto on the Job front, I wasn't going to raise the issue first, but it seems remarkable how few people actually end up doing a job they enjoy - me I'm tethered to an office chair too and no easy way out either so I fully understand where you are coming from!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 10:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Ah, are you a fellow Brit then?

I work in electronics. Its sooo boring - although maybe Mac would like some parts of it, when he's in geek mode hehe! I'd love to do something more on the road, or outdoors.

Not sure I'd be very good with a house boat as I can't swim! I am considering moving the caravan to a little place that's less commercial and more in the country, and it is by a nice big fishing lake (I don't fish, though) I guess that's a bit more like a cabin than where it is now at the seaside, and definitely more "Mac".

I'm off tomorrow for a few days to check the place out. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 01:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I always thought living on a houseboat would be really cool! I've always loved the idea of houseboats, log cabins and Jeep Wrangler's... of course. wink.gif

In fact, two of my favorite hotels are both lodges. One is the White Face Lodge in Lake Placid, NY and Disney's Wilderness Lodge in Florida.

I have a friend that lives in Minnesota, and we've been throwing around the idea of renting a cabin out there.

Seems like a great set up for a bad slasher movie. XD The Minnesota Hockey-stick Massacre!!!

MacsJeep: Take pictures!!! smile.gif

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 01:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

MacsJeep - Yup, another fellow Brit and overjoyed to see Mac back on Brit TV. I only ever remember catching odd episodes when I was a teen - I must have been out when it was on, but remember being fascinated that here was a hero using science - for many years I have tried to recall the series and then lo and behold MacGyver returned to our screens this year and made me yearn for a simpler life that I was in charge of. I've certainly enjoyed the escapism of watching the series as a 'teen' again and just don't concentrate on pulling apart the science too much LOL

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 08:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

In this country ( No doubt every country), a simpler life means more money which I don't have. wink.gif

Maybe one day I will win the lottery and then decide on a simpler life. biggrin.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 16 September 2015 - 05:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

The grass is always greener ..... , isn't it? I have a sister who lives in the heart of MacGyver filming country in BC, and wants to return east. That old adage, "As a rule a man's a fool, when it's hot he wants it cool, and when it's cool he wants it hot, always wanting what is not ... is probably spot on. laugh.gif As far as the money, occupation thing is concerned ... my Engineering School Dean probably gave me the best advice of all in my final days at University. He said, Joe, if you think you're studying days end here, think again because if you stop ever stop learning and educating yourself ... there's a kid (he points to an elementary school through the window and across the field) that will have your job in 12 years. Great advice to keep adjusting through education & with the times and so that you at least have more of a running chance to control your own destiny. Not always possible, but the more education/skills/vocational macgyverisms in your bag and/or that you can bring to the table ... the better!

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

Barry Rowland
Posted: 16 September 2015 - 10:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

No truer words ever spoken. That's the joy of Mac....constantly learning, improvising, and looking at life from a different angle.

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 16 September 2015 - 11:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Joe SAKic OK, so maybe no truer words spoken, but it is frustrating to get yourself locked into a boring situation with responsibilities which seems to have no real solution other than to do what I've always done - meet them! The trouble is you don't get any younger in terms of experiencing all the things you want to do! I think denizon is correct about that lottery win - the next 6 figures are mine.....or maybe the next set......ditto ad infinitum.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 17 September 2015 - 12:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I understand that....about the only option is to meet them head on. The situation doesn't change, but how you see yourself in it can. As I get nearer to 50, I'm learning more and more about this....it's a real change of pace for me!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 17 September 2015 - 12:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Maclover @ 17 September 2015 - 03:18 AM)
Joe SAKic OK, so maybe no truer words spoken, but it is frustrating to get yourself locked into a boring situation with responsibilities which seems to have no real solution other than to do what I've always done - meet them!  The trouble is you don't get any younger in terms of experiencing all the things you want to do!  I think denizon is correct about that lottery win - the next 6 figures are mine.....or maybe the next set......ditto ad infinitum.

No, that's fair ... but 'adventures' are rarely punctual, are they? I work for myself now, 100% freelance .... mostly because I inherited that gene that prohibits one from working for somebody else. tongue.gif The transition was not easy, there were repercussions, and some hardship .... but the end result has been favorable. We all have characters/skills that are unique; discovering, honing and tailoring them can be the difficult part ... but where there is a will, there is a way! However, there are a million things you can have in this world, and million things that you will never have - the sooner in life we accept this, the better! The world according to Joe! unsure.gif biggrin.gif

Barry Rowland
Posted: 17 September 2015 - 01:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

You're spot on Joe!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 18 September 2015 - 04:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I'm more of a city guy actually. I like to have everything I need close by. Further more maintaining Mac's lifestyle is quite a challenge. Especially if you want do it full time. It's already hard enough to maintain my own lifestyle. I think I just add the touches where I can from the MacGyver life. I can see the appeal in wooden cabins and lodges though but I can't see myself live in or near forrest, just yet. I moved to the city a few months ago and each time I go out the door I'm stunned of all the life and movement that's there. I actually live next to the shopping and restaurants part of the street and on the other side of the block there's nothing but bars and there is always something to do in the city. A festival of some sort or a theme night.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 18 September 2015 - 08:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I grew up in the woods but have always had an affection for the sea. When I llived near a harbor town, there were tons of houseboats (and tugboats!) that I thought would be awesome to live on. Could it be the fact that they aren't attached and they appeal to the wanderlust in us? The cabin would be the security of always having a place to come back to. Don't know for sure, but count me in if Mac's houseboat ever crossed my way! thumbsup.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGeezer
Posted: 19 September 2015 - 07:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Vic Spirit S

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

QUOTE (Barry Rowland @ 17 September 2015 - 08:34 PM)
I understand that....about the only option is to meet them head on.  The situation doesn't change, but how you see yourself in it can.  As I get nearer to 50, I'm learning more and more about this....it's a real change of pace for me!

What a great thread, and great posts! The power of positive thinking can not be denied.

"If you do what you've always done,you'll get what you always got."
- Mark Twain

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

“Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.”
― Henry Ford

Many of my childhood heroes were positive thinkers. The fictional character of MacGyver is a favorite of mine.
Watched the first episode at 18, in a hale storm of life changes and crossroads. Positive entertainment to watch.
Mac embraced the positive. Attempting when possible, to change his condition and immediate environment for the better.
I like to believe the fictional Mac read a bunch of Twain, Ford and Franklin.
MacGyver is a state of mind.

BTW- Sincere thanks to the mods and members who make this a wonderful oasis on the web!

" Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" - Theodore Roosevelt

PM                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 19 September 2015 - 01:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I agree entirely! I've always thought of Mac as the ultimate TV hero, overcoming all obstacles thru the power of positive thinking. It really hit me after watching him take off in that crashed Cessna on Final Approach. I think that one even amazed him! Thanks for the quotes! How do you like your Swisstool? I've always wanted one!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 19 September 2015 - 02:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

MacGyverGod, it's funny how different people 'see' things. Your comments about life in the smoke mimic those I have heard many times from others in the same situation. Yet, if I have to go up to the smoke 2 days running and any more than 3 times a year it loses any novelty value it may have for me and just becomes hard work I guess it is very much what you make of it. What I am after is independence and freedom to do what I want, when I want without constantly being at someone else's beck and call. That is what Mac had, although he responded to other folks problems once he was in the field he made his own decisions in his own time. As 50 approaches for me I am realizing that I am running out of time to do all I want and I must start filling in some blanks. I want to make a difference and to use some of the many skills I have rather than just drive a desk, the trouble is that I can't break of where I am to do so. I think this is why I am enjoying the escapism of watching Mac again at the moment even if it is far fetched.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 19 September 2015 - 04:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Maclover, you've got plenty of time to do what you want to do. That time/pressure thing is something we humans put on ourselves. We are also guilty of trying to live up to other's expectations a bit too much. Never recommended.

You do need to get your thoughts/priorities organized though ... the sooner the better. Do one thing, for a couple of bucks, buy a used copy of Anthony Robbins' 'Unlimited Power' ... that's it. Do all the exercises he presents ... if you do, it should set you well on your way & in the right direction for the goals you want to achieve. I bought when it first came out, and it worked wonders for me and in setting/planning a strategy. Gold food for thought and all for the price of a few dollars.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlimited-Power-Sc...t/dp/0743409396

MacsJeep
Posted: 20 September 2015 - 12:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Well, back from my little trip, and we didn't like the place for the caravan after all. There is one in the Derbyshire Dales I've been offered, we may go to look at that, but its still not quite what was in my heart.

As for my job, well, I don't think ANY job was ever going to cut it for me after my "dream" job was taken away from me. I always wanted to be a police officer, but I wear glasses. I checked, and yes cops can wear them. It never occurred to me that you had to actually have a certain amount of vision in each eye WITHOUT your specs to get in, though. So I happily went through school, got good exam results and thought I was off to join the cops when I left, only to be bitterly disappointed when I found out it was never going to happen. sad.gif

So I ended up in electronics making parts for the likes of Mclaren, Tesla, Jaguar etc.

I don't know if I'll ever force myself out of the rut I'm in, as I have responsibilities to think of, but watching Mac again has certainly made me want more from life, even if it is only a bit of a dream!

Maclover, I found Mac on CBS Action, but couldn't wait for them all to air, so I bought them hehe! It's great to relive those teen years, isn't it?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 20 September 2015 - 02:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I really believe, now after I came to realize that my job doesn't equal me, that we can live and contribute a whole lot more outside of work, no matter what we do. The world is in dire need of good hearted people that are there to help, a lot like Mac did in addition to his job. The biggest message I get from Mac is that there's always hope. As long as you believe, you can make this world a better place! wink.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 20 September 2015 - 03:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

MacsJeep, when I left school I too wanted to be a police officer - I had a visit from a couple of them at home and they told me that although they couldn't discriminate against those that wore specs they had a sufficient number of applicants that they could afford to choose those that didn't - thus I gave up on that as an idea like you did. What I still rather fancy is becoming a paramedic, but it wouldn't pay me enough. I've done St Johns Ambulance and works first aider, but don't have a permanent office job these days (work from home), and couldn't continue St John's through lack of time. However, I've done my share of RTA's when no-one else has volunteered and I do believe that one day, if not on two occasions I saved a life which is rather nice. These days I have discovered that I enjoy working as a STEM ambassador in the schools which ticks a lot of boxes for me.

I'd still like my own MacGyver (RDA was gorgeous when younger), but I've had a good day today. I've got the ladder out and fashioned some crawling boards onto a tin roof experimented with a hose and determined that the way to stop a shed leaking is to remove some tatty gutter that was overflowing at the back and let the next sloped roof deal with the water instead (quite a revolutionary train of thought that less could be more!), then I've turned off the water stripped down reamed out the sealing plate and re-washered and 'O' ringed a kitchen tap and got the water back on, I then found my faulty torch and decided to properly test the bulb although it didn't look blown to the naked eye, my trusty multi-meter soon proved otherwise and a magnifying glass helped me work out which replacement I needed to order (I nearly had to get a piece of paper and pencil to take a rubbing it was so difficult to see!). This afternoon I am checking the car over prior to it's service so they don't charge me a small fortune for things like screen wash. It's amazing what you can accomplish without having a man around if I put my mind to it. Now if only I could find out where I've misplaced my smaller SAK I'd be an even happier person.

Joe SAKic - I've ordered the book :-D

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 20 September 2015 - 04:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Macsjeep, I am a police officer. I didn't get on the job until later in life, and wear glasses now. I have to say, I have a deep respect for everyone that makes the world go round in what they do. I find an incredible feeling of amazement and satisfaction in watching the MacGyver episodes, possibly because they are a positive in my world, which exposes me to so many negatives. My job has a tendency to shade your outlook in a negative way, and it takes work to keep positive. Like you, I have been passed over for jobs that I really worked hard to get, and it took me a long time to get beyond that. I don't know about England, but there are alot of ways that you might still be able to become involved, i.e. emergency medical tech, police auxiliary, firefighter, etc. If you'd like, let me know if I can help! I would say that it sure sounds like its time to try to find something that brings you what you are seeking, but often that can only be found from within. I just spent the last 3 years trying to figure this out, and I'm finally beginning to get it. As for reliving the teens, I'd love to have the experience and wisdom I have now with that teenage body!! Maclover, I'll help you find that misplaced SAK if you will help me find my missing arrows!! LOL

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 20 September 2015 - 09:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Barry it's a deal! LOL Can't think of a nicer sounding chap to go and hunt arrows with!! Trouble is we've missed the boat I was in PA about 4 weeks ago for the first and probably the only time in my life ha, ha.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 20 September 2015 - 01:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Blast it, I wish I'd have known!! Let me know if you make it this way again, and we can set it up!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGeezer
Posted: 20 September 2015 - 04:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Vic Spirit S

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

QUOTE (Barry Rowland @ 20 September 2015 - 09:52 AM)
I agree entirely!  I've always thought of Mac as the ultimate TV hero, overcoming all obstacles thru the power of positive thinking.  It really hit me after watching him take off in that crashed Cessna on Final Approach.  I think that one even amazed him!  Thanks for the quotes!  How do you like your  Swisstool?  I've always wanted one!

Thank you! I bought the Swisstool Spirit in 2009, and being a purist, let it sit in my vehicles center console for a year or more. HARD to let go of the original Champion I carried since 1981, but I attended a old friend's booth setup for a ham radio expo in 2012. We used the Spirit for 95% of the booths set up and assisted with several ad hoc antenna rigs. Several times since that event I have abused the tool. Unlike many of the other popular multi-tool makers tool steel, the Vic steel will begin to flex when too much torque is applied. It's a clear sign to back off. The majority of the other popular multi-tools will just shear and snap due to a much more brittle composition and steel temper. Now, the amount of torque this little wonder can absorb is incredible. It has become as much a "necessity" as my wallet and keys. I found a Nite Ize brand, universal pocket clip that allows it be carried in a front pants pocket unobtrusively. I don't believe you will regret the purchase.

" Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" - Theodore Roosevelt

PM                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 20 September 2015 - 09:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I've heard nothing but good about them. I would rather have that flex in the steel than to have them break off like a fair amount of the newer brands do ( I've had it happen!). I carried a Huntsman since 1983, so I know what you are saying about becoming attached to a certain knife, but have started to pick up more SAKs in the past couple years. The crazy part is, it used to be easier when I had just one! I'm looking forward to checking a Swisstool out!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 21 September 2015 - 02:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Well, we visited another site in Derbyshire yesterday and it was gorgeous. Just what I've always wanted - a place you could actually see a log cabin being situated. The big issue is the ground is so uneven our caravan would have to be raised significantly to get it level. And that is a big no no as it would be too high for mum to get out safely. One of my dog's also has mobility issues, and the thought of him tumbling just makes me shiver.

Back to the drawing board! sad.gif

Maclover, I'd still love myself a MacGyver too, but I don't think it's going to happen. I find myself doing all the jobs around the house myself, like you! And not always that well hehe. As for RDA being gorgeous when he was younger, he's still a fab person now. I had the pleasure of meeting him earlier this year, and he was funny, warm, friendly, and still very adorable, even if he is grey, and shall we say more cuddly wink.gif

Jobwise, it's back to the grindstone tomorrow. Yuck!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 21 September 2015 - 09:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Funny warm and friendly sounds just what I had hoped for in RDA. It is always nice when fiction depicts fact and I think those traits sum up Mac. Lucky you!

Barry, it's a date! I came through Painted Post on my way South to DC around the last week in August I wonder how far away I was!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll