Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 23 - The Human Factor

While testing a technologically advanced security system for a military base, MacGyver’s expertise is really put to the test when he becomes trapped inside by a computer bent on destroying him .

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 8 November 2006 - 11:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from 26 March 2006

Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Good [ 4 ] [28.57%]
Excellent [ 10 ] [71.43%]
Total Votes: 14

Archived comments

QUOTE (rockatteer Jan 25 2005 @ 07:56 AM )
Great start to the second season.

I think this is the first episode where they really began to define the characters and the whole MacGyver universe as we came to know it.

There are some interesting parallels between this (the first episode of season two) and the pilot (first episode of season one)

The stories are very similar in that they are both underground labs, with similar layouts and obstacles to overcome.

One could almost be forgiven for thinking they had re-written the pilot episode at times .

QUOTE (MrMacFixIt Jan 25 2005 @ 08:28 AM)
I think this is the first episode where they really began to define the characters and the whole MacGyver universe as we came to know it.

There are some interesting parallels between this (the first episode of season two) and the pilot (first episode of season one)

The stories are very similar in that they are both underground labs, with similar layouts and obstacles to overcome.

One could almost be forgiven for thinking they had re-written the pilot episode at times .

True. But that's okay with me when they pick excellent episodes and rewrite well.

He, himself and him. Against the "impossible". Love those episodes.  Oh, and of course the helpfull lovely lady to provide little tid bits of useful information. *coughes* eye candy. 

I remember when I first saw the robots, and thinking... cool, they look like the baddies from Dr. Who.    I'm such a geek.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Jan 25 2005 @ 09:03 AM )
Rock, the episode took place in a mountain but it was indeed similar to the Pilot episode. Dr. Ludlum was indeed attractive, nice robots, it was a good episode, great start of the second season. 

QUOTE (sonyab Jan 25 2005 @ 10:26 AM )
I voted excellent.. Very good first start. The computer was impressive. I liked how Mac broke in the place. It was a test. Loved the episode. 

QUOTE (rockatteer Jan 25 2005 @ 10:51 AM )
they look like the baddies from Dr. Who

Darleks.

"Exter-min-ate!"

Oh ho... I'm doing it again aren't I...?

*hangs head....sulks out of the room quietly*

QUOTE (I Love Penny Parker Jan 25 2005 @ 10:52 AM )
Good episode ... but my favorites are the episodes with Murdoc. 

QUOTE (Vina Jan 25 2005 @ 03:12 PM )
I won't say it out loud, but I think you can all guess which scene is MY favorite... 

*smacks self* Bad Vina! 

QUOTE (rockatteer Jan 25 2005 @ 03:27 PM )
for someone who plays a lot of hockey...he's got pretty scrawny legs.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Jan 26 2005 @ 05:14 AM )
Nice shorts he wears but if those were the shorts of the 80's? It seemed more like a tennis shorts. 

QUOTE (MacGyver Jan 26 2005 @ 05:43 AM)

Darleks.

"Exter-min-ate!"

That's Daleks, by the way.

Exter-min-ate! Ex-ter-min-ate! Ex-ter-minate!

Yeah, gotta love the Daleks! Okay, so I love Doctor Who, but I think the robots on this episode of MacGyver had the Daleks beat just a little on the special effects department.

But yeah, that was cool. Very awesome episode in general. One of my all time favorites, because of MacGyver beating the whole security system. I never really thought about it, but I guess it is sorta similar to the pilot episode. It was still a great start chock full of great MacGyverisms.

By the way, what shorts does he wear in the episode? Are we referring to his boxer shorts?

Yeah, that was a pretty embarrasing scene for Richard, I would imagine.

And I also like the trust and rapport between MacGyver and Pete that goes so far as Mac trusting Pete like that to have disarmed bombs. That was neat. Great start to the 2nd. season!

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Jan 26 2005 @ 06:09 AM )
There's a nitpick in it. When he takes off his pants, he kicks his shoes out but they never showed him getting back in his shoes because from the moment they're hanging on that pipe, his shoes magically came back on. 

QUOTE (Alex-Wylie Jan 26 2005 @ 10:58 AM )
About the epi; a really great one! I like the MacGyverrismn when he builds a telescop out of a newspaper magnifying lense and a watch crystal.

"Calgary lost again!":lol:

"It took the human race about 3 Millions years to invente the telescope. I figured I had about 35 seconds." 

The 'Good Dogs' where also funny at least in the beginning. How Mac tricked them with magnets paper and fire was cool.

And I like the fact that Mac chooses humans and their feelings over technic. The trust Pete and Mac have in each other is truly a sign for their special friendship.

Awesome End! "I returned that camel!"

Alex-Wylie 

QUOTE (MacGyver Jan 26 2005 @ 06:06 PM)

Awesome End! "I returned that camel!"

Forgive me, but it's been a while since I've seen that episode. Especially since I've got a copy taped from WGN's editing and so that whole scene might possibly have been edited out. MacGyver tells Pete that he returned that camel? Is this in reference to the story of MacGyver and Pete's first meeting mentioned in "Deathlock"?

QUOTE (Alex-Wylie Jan 27 2005 @ 12:42 AM )
That's ok nothing to forgive it is right both Pete and Mac are mentioning the camel in 'DEATHLOCK.'

But in the prelast scene of 'THE HUMAN FACTOR' Mac talks with the helpful lovly lady as MrMacFixIt always call them. In the end she gives him a kiss and says "For a camel schmuggler you're ok." 

"I returned that camel" Mac replies grinning. 

Well, the thing comes next in the real final scene is also pretty funny!

Mac assuring "It was the elevater shaft."

Pete horror-stricken "It can't be!" 

Mac simple "It was."

Alex-Wylie 

QUOTE (Nick Kismet Jul 27 2005 @ 02:43 AM)

QUOTE (MrMacFixIt @ Jan 25 2005, 09:18 AM)
I remember when I first saw the robots, and thinking... cool, they look like the baddies from Dr. Who.      I'm such a geek.

Not only did those robots looks suspiciously like the Daleks from Dr. Who, but during the scene where they were chasing our heroes, the evil computer was heard to say: "The intruders must be exterminated," using one of the Dalek's favorite catch-phrases "Exterminate!"

The nod to Doctor Who was certainly intentional. Don't forget that the late Terry Nation, creator of the Daleks and long-time Who contributor, was also a contributor to MacGyver's first season, writing several of the gambits for the first season.

Now who's the geek

QUOTE (rockatteer Jul 27 2005 @ 09:20 AM)

Not only did those robots looks suspiciously like the Daleks from Dr. Who

There's only so many ways you can make a trash can look like a robot.

QUOTE (rockatteer Apr 15 2006 @ 03:33 PM )
Do you think RDA actually did that tight-rope on his own...or you think they wired him?

And if he did do it himself I wonder how many times it took to get right?

QUOTE (MacsChick Apr 15 2006 @ 06:43 PM )
Another one of my faves! We kind of get a take on the movie 2001 with a computer taking control. Plus, may I say, I just love him in those boxer shorts! I think he has beautiful legs! Also, he looked really hot in this one--I love it when he wears blue! 

As for the tightrope...I was wondering about that, too. It seems to me like he did it himself. At least, it looks like it. Who knows? He has pretty good athletic coordination, so I'm sure he at least tried it. Either it took a lot of takes, he had wires to support him, or some guy from the circus did it. 

QUOTE (Lothithil Sep 29 2006 @ 10:32 AM )
Good ep!

I think that Mac might have walked the rope himself. It was only a couple feet off of the ground, and he did do some mime-work when he was younger (tho of course, I realize that doesn't actually mean he's coordinated!  )

RDA's got such awesomely good stunt and body-doubles... it's impossible for me to tell! 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted on 22 September 2007 - 05:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

A great episode, the perfect transition from season 1 to 2. When they're climbing up the shaft, and Mac takes off his jeans, many thoughts always ran through my mind smile.gif I thought the camel joke was a bit overdone though. I loved the radar dogs and how Mac disarmed them, even the tightrope walk, though I wondered why he didn't remove his sneakers first

Tygr
Posted on 22 September 2007 - 08:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Easy Target
House:  Loft

Definitely a favorite! I love the whole man vs. machine aspect to this one.

All throughout the first part (Beginning to where they get trapped) the lady seems almost a computer herself, with very little emotion. Kinda creepy, actually. happy.gif

'Tis unwise to wake the Tygr.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." - Psalms 23:4

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 22 September 2007 - 02:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

I've known some engineers, and a lot of them are like that--highly rational, analytical, and critical. Still, I didn't mind Dr. Ludlum's character too much. She begins as a character who is arrogant about her intellect and her creation, and has to learn to accept that even something she conceived as state of the art actually has its flaws. At the end of the episode, she has humbled herself and is a little "softer" and wiser from her experience.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 23 September 2007 - 02:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I particularly like some of the MacGyverisms in this episode. I think things like tricking the hand scanner, using the flaming magnets on the "Daleks" and making the telescope really embody the whole essence of MacGyverisms.

If you had to use one example of what MacGyverisms are all about.. or even what MacGyver is about... this might well be the episode to use. I'm not sure theres a better example of a MacGyverism than using dust and a jacket to fake out a hand scanner.

I think this episode has parallels to the pilot episode, but is better in that it develops the Mac and Pete relationship further and provides some depth and understanding for us.

So all in all this episode gets the coveted "Excellent!!" *air guitar* vote from me.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted on 23 September 2007 - 03:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

lol, they do look like "Daleks" Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate, was all that would be needed.

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 24 September 2007 - 06:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

We watched this last night and my 11 year old said "Dalaks" as soon as he saw the robots, so it must be pretty obvious, he's only seen Dr Who a few times, but made that connection straight away. laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 23 April 2008 - 12:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

ok heres something a little weird.

We've just finished watching this episode and my 12 year old said the computer voice sounds like Dori (from Finding Nemo) which was voiced by Ellen DeGeneres.

Now I remember some time ago someone in here asked if the computer was voiced by Ellen DeGeneres becasue they thought it sounded like her. I can't for the life of me hear any similarities at all. But it does sound (to me) like the same "announcement" voice we hear in other episodes.

I know Ellen DeGeneres's first TV credit was in 1989 in Full House... 3 years after this episode of MacGyver was filmed.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jknnej
Posted on 20 June 2008 - 08:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Loved this episode. One of my faves, probably.
Very clever, very exciting, constant danger. A little like Star Wars meets Indiana Jones if you ask me.
RDA looks great, of course, in this episode. I remember loving it when I was a kid, too.
And always laugh at the Calgary line.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
androgyny
Posted on 23 June 2008 - 12:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

i really enjoyed this episode. i like the mac vs. computer plot. and most of all, lots of macgyverisms!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Thornton
Posted on 15 October 2008 - 11:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Ghost Ship

Great episode. I liked the plot, MacGyverisms and the mood this episode has. My favorite thing is that Mac was saved by Pete's faulty memory.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Zerocool1089
Posted on 8 December 2008 - 01:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

This was a great episode, and it was very entertaining to see Mac take on machine. I do agree also that this episode really elaborated more of MacGyver, and how him and Pete worked together. Now Season 1 did a superb job of introducing us to MacGyver, and establishing a great character, and when it came down to the first episode of Season 2.. you can really notice that MacGyver has become more dimensional.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 28 March 2009 - 06:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

Excellent episode though it does remind me of the Pilot: the lab setting, the destroy of lazer using mirror, chemical spill/acid bath. Both are good, in fact. We also know a bit more about Pete: he served in Nam too. Did Mac first meet Pete while they were both in Nam?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 28 March 2009 - 01:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

No the Partners episode explains how they first met... Murdoc, cab, bazookas.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 25 April 2009 - 07:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

loved this EP where MacGyver is put up agest a Computer.

Makedde
Posted on 6 April 2011 - 08:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

Good episode, I admit my fave part was him taking off his jeans, I tried to get a good perv, hehe. Pity the camera wouldn't stay still long enough for me to have a good look! LOL

As to the voice of the robot...not Ellen. The sound is slightly similar, but this voice sounded just slightly deeper than Ellens.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dr Zito
Posted on 7 May 2011 - 01:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:MacGyver 5x01
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

one of my favourite mac episodes, Mac human factor was at his best, but I really didnt get the doctor character, supposedly a genius who couldnt help mac or contribute with any ideas of her own of note in the entire episode.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 7 May 2011 - 02:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yeah your right. She designed the whole system yet had no ideas on how to stop it. Although I got the feeling they were trying to angle towards the "self aware AI" "skynet" type idea, but just didn't pull it off very well.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dr Zito
Posted on 7 May 2011 - 06:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

on the plus side, she was nice to look at, and you could sense that the writers were pushing some kind of sexual chemistry between the two, but really the brit chick was cold as ice and not a very good actress, IMO. I get the feeling that she played a russian spy on another character, or that was another blonde brit babe? and didnt this actress appear in V? (I think she was the rival of Diane)

I could be mistaken, my memory is getting worst and worst

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 7 May 2011 - 08:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah she was in V.

June Chadwick is her name.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dr Zito
Posted on 7 May 2011 - 11:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

yep, I remembered her from V where she wasnt a good actress either, very stiff but nice to look at

ive got to say for me the coolest thing about this episode were the robots, I was sad to see them retired at the end of the episode biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 7 May 2011 - 11:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Dr Zito @ 8 May 2011 - 08:22 PM)
ive got to say for me the coolest thing about this episode were the robots,

Although, as has been mentioned before in this thread, they were very much the Dalek effect for the episode, really all we needed was a trench-coat or sonic screw driver and it would have been Dr. Who. laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 18 August 2012 - 05:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

I think this episode was a great start for the second season! smile.gif

Though not on my top-ten list, it has lots of suspense, ingenious MacGyverisms, and also some very humorous moments. ("Why are you taking your pants off?!!" "You got a better idea?" laugh.gif )

I thought the set (underground lab) reminded me much of the original Enterprise of Star Trek... maybe they repainted and recycled some parts?

The "technology vs humanity" issue was often brought up in Star Trek too, and many other series of this era. I think the technophobia was an important part of our history, and all the science fiction evolving around it was probably inspiring for the computer scientists of that time... at least they learned the importance of many alternate override and backup systems! wink.gif

The only thing I really *didn't* like with this episode was... well, you've already guessed it, I think... that she had to kiss him in the end. *sigh*. Naturally, she was grateful he saved her life and all that, but we've just seen enough of that already. (I know, I generally dislike romance a lot, but there are some episodes where I *do* accept it and even enjoy it, depending on the context. This one is, however, not one of these).

A "Good" from me, but a strong "Good."

PM                                                                     
Traveller
Posted on 19 August 2012 - 05:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears

I think the technophobia was an important part of our history, and all the science fiction evolving around it was probably inspiring for the computer scientists of that time... at least they learned the importance of many alternate override and backup systems!

That's an interesting observation. You could be right. So perhaps our Mac has contributed to a 'better' technology, at least better protected. It's fun to think of it that way.
And I'm with you 100% on the kissing issue. Totally unnecessary. Bleh. The scene would have been much stronger if they were just talking and then parting like good friends.
I love the end, by the way. Mac telling Pete he had made the right decision based on the wrong recollection. Pretty brilliant!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 20 August 2012 - 08:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

QUOTE (Traveller @ 19 August 2012 - 03:46 PM)
That's an interesting observation. You could be right. So perhaps our Mac has contributed to a 'better' technology, at least better protected. It's fun to think of it that way.
And I'm with you 100% on the kissing issue. Totally unnecessary. Bleh. The scene would have been much stronger if they were just talking and then parting like good friends.
I love the end, by the way. Mac telling Pete he had made the right decision based on the wrong recollection. Pretty brilliant!

I think that many ideas originate from science fiction--in fact, I had a couple lectures on the subject for some young adults, a couple years ago. The lecture series were mainly based on Star Trek; but the principle is the same. ("Trekkers" are not too common in my corner of the world, and they were also looking for someone in my field of experience, so I was given this honorary assignment... wink.gif)

Though my research was mostly based around "concrete" inventions that were first seen in science fiction (for example the floppy disk, digital magazines and tricorders, just to mention some things from Star Trek)--I definitely think that people in the computer field have been inspired from works of fiction. Of course, some lessons have been learned the hard way from real life mistakes, but I think that the "what-if" scenarios based on our technophobia (and general fears) will always have an important impact on the human mind and help us think outside the box, realizing where some of the hazards may be.

And, with shows like MacGyver and Star Trek, I think we have Paramount to thank for a lot. wink.gif

Oh, btw, I forgot to mention the end, about the elevator shaft. Completely agree with you there, loved that too! biggrin.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverisms
Posted on 11 February 2013 - 04:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Heist

The first MacGyver episode I ever saw. I have good memories of watching this show for the first time about 4-5 years ago. I really liked this episode. The story was pretty cool, a lot of very cool MacGyverisms, and lots of suspenseful moments. Some funny moments. A "Good" episode in my opinion.

Overall Rating: 8/10 duct.gif sak.gif

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 7 August 2013 - 08:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

macsak.gif I liked this one for season 2. The Macgyverisms were great and stacking the odds against Mac makes for a good story. Man versus technology make for good plot elements.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted on 22 January 2014 - 04:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

It was mentioned earlier that June Chadwick also starred on the original "V". Well, I found another "V" connection . . .

The dome shaped control panel that Col. Scott Woodward uses to de-activate the pressure sensitive floor Pete steps on when the two of them and Mac are entering the lab, was used by the Visitors in "V: The Final Battle" to verify the passes the guests would need to get into the hospital for the special press conference.

That makes two devices first used on the original "V" mini series, then re-used on MacGyver. (see season 2 / episode 17 / Dalton, Jack of Spies).

I'll try to get pictures posted, just got to buy a copy of Photoshop first (never really had a need for it until I joined this site).

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 22 January 2014 - 09:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (MacFan092985 @ 23 January 2014 - 01:44 PM)
I'll try to get pictures posted, just got to buy a copy of Photoshop first (never really had a need for it until I joined this site).

You don't need photoshop, I use the free software called Gimp. I've been able to do everything I need to with it, including creating all the banners and graphics used on this site.

Update: Make sure you download it from the gimp.com web site and not somewhere else. Apparently there are other downloads available but they contain extra little nasty bits of software you don't want on your computer.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll