Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 31 - Silent World

MacGyver is convinced the reoccurring dreams of his deaf teacher friend contain clues to an ingenious plot to steal a missile-guidance system.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 09:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

How did you rate this episode?
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 2 ] [20.00%]
Good [ 3 ] [30.00%]
Excellent [ 5 ] [50.00%]
Total Votes: 10

QUOTE (rockatteer @ Mar 23 2005, 08:58 pm)

Old age must be sinking in...I'm getting really bad at remembering to post these.

I'll have to set myself a reminder for Sunday evenings.

QUOTE (sonyab @ Mar 24 2005, 04:21 am)

It's that Alztimers again.. smile.gif Umm love this episode. I voted excellent!! I love how Mac messed up on the sign language.. so cute. smile.gif The deaf girl had a little crush on our mac because she was having that daydream at the end.. smile.gif Loved the plot! Loved everything about it!!!! 2 thumbs up!!!!

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Mar 24 2005, 06:45 am)

I voted for good, the episodes are getting better and better from here on. Best part is where Mac jumps through that window and knocks that guy out with a jar. That guy reminded me of Hannibal Smith somewhat. That's probably cos it's so 80's. 

QUOTE (MacGyver @ Mar 24 2005, 08:29 am)

That guy reminded me of Hannibal Smith somewhat. That's probably cos it's so 80's.

Come to think of it, that guy does remind me of Hannibal Smith! biggrin.gif LOL!

Anyway, "Silent World" was a pretty cool episode. The whole bit with MacGyver's deaf friend's dreams being used to help catch the bad guy was pretty interesting. I also liked MacGyver's distraction on the boat toward the end. And the sign language at the end was awesome when the kids tell MacGyver thank you. Another good episode.

QUOTE (Teri @ Mar 24 2005, 05:54 pm)

I love how Mac messed up on the sign language

Been a while since I saw this episode, how did Mac mess-up on the signs? I vaguely remember his signs being slow and deliberate which is typical for a signer who doesn't sign regularly. Perhaps, I caught the lack-of memory bug from Rock?

QUOTE (sonyab @ Mar 25 2005, 04:24 am)

. That guy reminded me of Hannibal Smith somewhat. That's probably cos it's so 80's. 

Hannibal smith? Who? Did you mean Hannibal lector? smile.gif who is smith?

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Mar 25 2005, 06:33 am)

Colonel Hannibal Smith from the A-Team! How many Hannibal Smith's are there? 

QUOTE (zhennu @ Mar 25 2005, 08:52 pm)

Apparantly, not enough for me to remember a Smith by. tongue.gif

Anyway, it had an interesting twist to the storyline. Connecting dreams to real life events. If I have anything else to said, it's already been said. tongue.gif Voted excellent. happy.gif

QUOTE (Alex-Wylie @ Mar 26 2005, 12:36 pm)

"Silent World" was a pretty cool episode.  The whole bit with MacGyver's deaf friend's dreams being used to help catch the bad guy was pretty interesting.  I also liked MacGyver's distraction on the boat toward the end.  And the sign language at the end was awesome when the kids tell MacGyver thank you.  Another good episode.

Couldn't have said it better. Really cool.jpg episode. The scene were the girl hears for the very first time really touched me. smile.gif And of course I loved as well how Mac screwed up the sign language.

QUOTE (phoenix @ Apr 7 2005, 08:29 am)

regarding the dream sequences - it is interesting how the mind works and/or plays tricks on you. this episode was a good change of pace, and it's always nice to see mac work with and try to help kids - bad "signing" notwithstanding.

QUOTE (MacGirl @ May 31 2005, 05:08 pm)

This was one of the most interesting eps, IMO.

<regarding the dream sequences - it is interesting how the mind works and/or plays tricks on you.>

Yes, isn't it? I was a psych major in college, so I get a real kick out of this stuff!

I love the scene where Carrie is being hypnotized and she remembers her dream] and then wakes up suddenly, frightened half to death. Love how Mac is there to comfort her. He was always such a wonderfully strong, soothing presence. If I were scared, I sure as hell would want Mac there with me!

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverluver
Posted on 17 December 2006 - 03:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Episode:The Widomaker
Jacket:  Brown bomber

I always wonder, how in the world, if dreams are just memories of things already happened, how come in the dream she sees things that have not happened???

An old climber's saying: "It's not the fall that kills you it's the sudden stop."
Old Minnesota wisdom: "If you don't want to be touched, look downright untouchable."
"I remember that age when it was cool to be bad, dumb age."

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 17 December 2006 - 04:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

dreams aren't memories.

they are your brains way of processing information.

Dreams often contain images which have nothing to do with the actual "data" your brain is processing, but rather reflicts how your brain understands thats data... hence the term "dream code"

I think the answer to your question is actually in the story line of the episode... the dream contained "bits" of memories put together to create a new image.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverluver
Posted on 17 December 2006 - 06:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Episode:The Widomaker

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks

An old climber's saying: "It's not the fall that kills you it's the sudden stop."
Old Minnesota wisdom: "If you don't want to be touched, look downright untouchable."
"I remember that age when it was cool to be bad, dumb age."

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 18 December 2006 - 01:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

There’s an interesting element in this episode, which examines (to some extent) the “Self fulfilling prophecy” effect.

This is where we take a fact and make it fit our vision or idea. This effect is most often worked in fortune telling, psychic readings etc… where we are told something of the future and then sub-consciously look for things which we can twist, exaggerate, or stretch to fit what we’ve been told.

This is evident with the lightning sign on the side of the van. What Carrie described and what happened weren’t really all that similar… But both Mac and Pete made the situation fit her description by ignoring most of the facts.. i.e. it was a van which nearly hit Mac.. not a bolt of lightning actually striking him.

I don’t think there’s particularly anything wrong with the Self Fulfilling Prophecy effect... I just think it’s interesting that even a “man of science” is susceptible to it as much as anyone else, although I know he was using this to explain where the “idea” or the image had come from. In that she must have seen those things already and they just appeared in dream code.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 12 September 2007 - 09:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

There's our Three Nameless BadGuys again!

I liked the character of Crane... he was an intellegent bad guy... and the whole 'football thing' kept me rotfl! happy.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 26 September 2007 - 07:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I watched this episode again last night.

I voted good for this episode. Its another fine example of why I think seasons 2 and 3 are the best. Nicely paced, with a little bit of everything, action, humor, romance, intrigue... It even had some decent actors.. what more could you ask for?

Interesting to see the little hut on the edge of the lake used again. (last time we saw it was Prisoner of conscience... I think?)

How much fun would that hover craft be. I can just imagine the crew taking turns with that thing in between takes and stuff laugh.gif

I couldn't help noticing how much that Sleep Doctors voice sounded like the computer in the Human Factor episode.

I remember watching this way back when it first aired and thinking it was super kewl that MacGyver had a computer at home which he could access the Phoenix Foundations computers with. user posted image

I had to laugh at the little adult bit they threw in.. with Macs response when Carrie told him she had a dream about him.... not the kind of dream he was hoping for laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 4 December 2007 - 05:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 27 September 2007 - 03:22 PM)
I had to laugh at the little adult bit they threw in.. with Macs response when Carrie told him she had a dream about him.... not the kind of dream he was hoping for laugh.gif

Yes, that made me laugh, too. He actually looks a bit disappointed for a second, before he realizes just how serious the situation is.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 9 June 2008 - 03:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 26 September 2007 - 09:57 PM)
I remember watching this way back when it first aired and thinking it was super kewl that MacGyver had a computer at home which he could access the Phoenix Foundations computers with.  user posted image

Rocky, you're a big geek! lol!

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 11 June 2008 - 12:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

Ok, here goes.

David Crane is a great villian--intelligent, experienced with a sense of humor. I love that he mentions being a quarterback on a football team, coolege or high school?

I love the scene with Mac at the test site, with the dialogue between Mac and Pete and the military General. If you watch RDA as O'Neill it's quite a switch.

I like the episode switching from Crane to Mac to Crane to Mac--well done.

Crane's blowing up the chair--I love the way he has the people's attention--he really scares them. He also mentions having not touched anything in the room and having the room prepared ahead of time. Interesting-- a nice note-throughout the episode it shows that Crane is detailed and organized.

Carrie Linden is a wonderful character that I would have like to see much more of, not as a romantic relationship for Mac, but as a friend. She's a real role model for kids. And yes I like the scene where she tell him about her dream. He insists that she have tea. As she tells him, he listens. I don't know that he is disappointed that she wasn't dreaming about him in a romantic way, I think he was concerned about his friend. But good scene.

One of my favorite sequences is when Mac has just told Pete about Carrie's dream and they are coming out of the restaurant, Indian food. Pete mentions having lost his tastebuds. Mac laughs and that's something I wish that Mac had done more of in the show--laughed. Then comes the van with the lightening bolt-freaky! Mac laughs again at the test site with Carrie.

Carrie's dream--I agree with Mac--it's like a map or a puzzle coming together. I like that Mac sat with her throughout the dream. Very intense--enough to get Pete really worried.

The part with Mac having the access to Phoenix Foundation's computer--I agree that's pretty funny. open.gif

I really like this episode a lot, love the ending with the way Mac jumps through the window and first Crane tries to hit Mac and punches a pan and then Mac punches him out cold. Hurray for the good guys!!

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 12 June 2008 - 09:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

I wonder how Carrie was able to describe the exact form of the lake, when she was terrified and running in her dream and surely had not seen all of it? It was a large lake, so to overview it all she would have needed flying in a helicopter.

I also wonder how Mac made this little fountains when he was in the water. He could not use his straw because that's how he breathed down there. So it would be pretty stupid, to make it full water several times?

It's nice to see Mac talking with his hands. It just looks good. Does anybody know if he knew Marlee Matlin before or after this episode? I always wondered if she taught him some things.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 12 June 2008 - 12:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I also wonder how Mac made this little fountains when he was in the water. He could not use his straw because that's how he breathed down there. So it would be pretty stupid, to make it full water several times?

By holding his breath then allowing the tube to fill with water and blowing out through the tube. Just like snorkelers do. wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 14 June 2008 - 09:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

Did you see how short this straw was? No way such a big ammount of water could come out of it!

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 June 2008 - 01:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

maybe he was holding the water in his mouth and spurting it.

What kid hasn't done that with a straw laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 9 November 2008 - 03:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

One question I just watched it, in the scene at the cabin when Mac is rescuing Carrie, how did Mac know Crane's name (the voiceover)?

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 9 November 2008 - 04:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Liz1976 @ 10 November 2008 - 12:54 PM)
One question I just watched it, in the scene at the cabin when Mac is rescuing Carrie, how did Mac know Crane's name (the voiceover)?

I haven't watched this episode for quite some time, but MacGyver voiceovers are usually more for story-telling rather than advancing the story itself, like what you would expect in a book, more of an "eye of God" all-knowing narrative.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 06:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I loved the character of Crane... he was an intellegent bad guy. I loved when he was talking to the teacher and she was telling him her dream, too funny.

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 7 July 2009 - 02:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Anyone else notice how the dream scientist lady at the phoenix lab sounds just like the computer voice in the Human Factor episode?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 7 July 2009 - 04:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

I did--I just watched this episode the other night. I wonder if it is the same voice... hmm.bmp

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Azalea77
Posted on 7 April 2010 - 05:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Almost all of them

The whole episode was a little bit spooky for me:) This metal skeleton, strange dream ohhh I got goosbumps :0 smile.gif

The best way to beat the problem, is to make it work for you

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
deepfathom393
Posted on 6 July 2010 - 12:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

I liked this ep. I liked the whole feel of the episode because it was a bit different than a lot of the other episodes. i thought Carrie's character and the actress who played her did a very good job. biggrin.gif

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Hannibal_Smith
Posted on 25 February 2011 - 12:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

How many Hannibal Smith's are there? 

Funny you should ask that...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 1 September 2012 - 05:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

"Silent World" is very different, in many ways, I think.

It all started out as what you thought would be a more action packed episode, bordering on science fiction. Then, all of a sudden, we get to meet the deaf kids, and watch MacGyver demonstrate how the same kind of technology that you're using for the guidance of missiles can be used to help deaf people hear again!

The scenes at the school--from beginning to end, were all very sweet. Mac trying his best to say "electronic translation device" and messes up the sign language. Wonder what he said? wink.gif

Really touching scene when Maria hears for the first time. And at the end, Pete is so moved that he looks close to tears as Maria says "Thank You MacGyver..."

You'd almost expect that Mac would be more skeptic regarding the dreams--at least initially, but it's obvious that he cares a lot about Carrie and knows she's very intelligent, she wouldn't make things up. Maybe the whole dream research procedure was more than a bit implausible, but I definitely don't think such things should be laughed at. My dad and I have both had "prophetic" dreams--though, unfortunately (and ironically), in my case, it's all been about silly and unimportant things, and in no way as detailed as Carrie's dreams.

The elements of the dreams (and some of their equivalents in the real world!) were pretty cool, though. The steel skeleton is creepy, but indeed a work of art. laugh.gif
And that hover craft... well, say no more. biggrin.gif

On a final note--believe it or not, but I thought Mac and Carrie looked very sweet together. Don't know if I would still appreciate it had things turned into a "real" romance, but their relationship was so natural and felt so genuine. Maybe part of it was because of the fact that she was deaf for real, and her accent was her own.

Not among my top ten--but still a "Good" episode.

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 1 September 2012 - 06:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (NightTinkerer @ 2 September 2012 - 01:29 PM)
Maybe the whole dream research procedure was more than a bit implausible,

Do you mean the way it was done or the fact that it was done at all?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 2 September 2012 - 08:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 2 September 2012 - 04:37 AM)
QUOTE (NightTinkerer @ 2 September 2012 - 01:29 PM)
Maybe the whole dream research procedure was more than a bit implausible,

Do you mean the way it was done or the fact that it was done at all?

Well, probably a bit of both. Scientific sleep studies isn't exactly my area of expertise, but from what I know, the procedure is usually very different, involving various psychological and medical tests. They seemed to have much of a "New Age" approach to things, which is a bit odd for the MacGyver series. But then again, it's a bit hard to judge things here since the circumstances were kind of unique.

PM                                                                     
Traveller
Posted on 2 September 2012 - 08:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears

As far as 'MacGyver', the show, is concerned I have very big disbelief suspenders, so I buy the whole dream analysis thing – although I find it a tad boring that they show the dream over and over again.
On the plus side: I really like the bad guy. Have you noticed, by the way, that he wears a jacket Mac has worn in another episode?
The biggest plus: this episode carries my all time favorite macgyverism, the water clock macsak.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 2 September 2012 - 09:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Traveller @ 2 September 2012 - 06:32 PM)
As far as 'MacGyver', the show, is concerned I have very big disbelief suspenders, so I buy the whole dream analysis thing – although I find it a tad boring that they show the dream over and over again.
On the plus side: I really like the bad guy. Have you noticed, by the way, that he wears a jacket Mac has worn in another  episode?
The biggest plus: this episode carries my all time favorite macgyverism, the water clock macsak.gif

Oh yes--you're absolutely right about the water clock--it IS a mighty cool trick indeed, I agree! biggrin.gif

Didn't think about the jacket now until you mention it, but that's an interesting fact! And yeah, he does come off very believable as the bad guy. Even at a first glance, his appearance gave me the creeps. tongue.gif

PM                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 8 August 2013 - 09:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

I think this was an ok episode due to the human relations.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 20 December 2013 - 06:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

This is one of the better episodes of the second season, imo. It has excellent flow, great sets and fantastic chemistry between Mac & Carrie. It's also a (partial) ripoff of the play/film 'Children of a Lesser God'. Still it works well, the macgyverisms great and a very pleasing episode overall.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll