Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

This is something which is in rapid demise in our real world, yet is seen in abundance in MacGyver, and indeed in people of that and earlier generations. It's something I consciously make my kids aware of because it's about basic respect. Things like stopping to let someone go through a door ahead of you instead of pushing in first; standing aside to let less-able people, prams, trolleys, etc get past you, even letting someone with a small amount of items go through a check out ahead of you when you have a full trolley of groceries. These are all things that I personally don't see at all in today's generation because they are entirely focused on themselves and I think that's the key point; Manners and courtesy are about thinking of other people either equally or ahead of yourself. This was a big part of the MacGyver mind set and I think it's a good way of improving ourselves and any other generation we have influence over.

There's another aspect to this which I'm very mindful of and that's have the courtesy to stop and lend a hand. One scene from MacGyver which really highlights this point for me is when MacGyver is in his painting class in the Negotiator and Deborah knocks her brushes over. MacGyver immediately stopped painting to help pick them up. He didn't even stop to look at who he was picking them up for; It was just his instinct to help. Another really good example of courtesy is in the pilot episode when MacGyver and Barbara are running through the airlocks as they are closing on them (I think) and MacGyver paused to make sure she had gone through before he did which is the old "Ladies before Gentlemen" idea but again back to my previous point of letting others through the door ahead of you.

I often think of those two scenes and the old saying that Manners cost you nothing. And it's so true. There is absolutely nothing to lose from pausing to let someone walk through a door ahead of you, or to say please and thank you, but there is something to gain. You gain respect and appreciation of others around you who will see you as a decent human being - and the internal gratification of knowing your a decent human being.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
M.C. Wolfcat
Posted: 27 October 2012 - 05:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Tinker Deluxe

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:All of them

I totally agree with you.

See it way less than in the old days.

I'm aged 21 now and sometimes i wish i was older.

Ever heard the way some kids talk to their elders??

No respect at all!

It's horrifying.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac1977
Posted: 27 October 2012 - 06:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: too many

Favorites
Episode:D.O.A.mac,widowmaker

I agree too, and that's one of the main things why i like MacGyver.
Today's kids should watch MacGyver more. MacG.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 27 October 2012 - 07:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

Thank you KiwiTek for bringing this up!! I think Manners and Coutesy are tremendously important!! I was raised and taught manners which I still use today. My biggest pet peeve is lack of manners or common courtesy by others around me. I do see it rampant in the younger folks and kids. I am just amazed by the absolute lack of it that I see so often. Just going to a high school football game demonstrates this lack. I sit in the stands or try to get to my seat just flabbergasted by how few manners I see sometimes!!

I think that is another big reason I like MacGyver. He has manners and shows common courtesy often. I would have trouble listing the times in the episodes where I notice MacGyver's manners! Nearly every episode has some. A Sir or Ma'am, a please or thank you, helping someone commonly, I could go on. For example, I watched the "Obsessed" episode again today and noticed when MacGyver stood up and helped Pete take a seat on the couch in his loft. Just a simple act, but another example of those manners which are becoming more and more rare in today's world...sadly. sad.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 28 October 2012 - 12:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Another example I've started to notice recently, and I'm not sure if this is just a kiwi thing or world wide, but when parents are talking to their kids about another adult they call the adult by their first name instead of Mr, Mrs, Ms etc. I actually saw an example of this yesterday when my neighbor had visitors and the visitor told her child to go and say "thank you" to Ken for letting you play here instead of "Go and say Thank You to Mr --- for letting you play here." headbutt.gif

When I was a kid I would have been kicked in the pants for calling an adult by their first name.

PM                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 28 October 2012 - 05:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

KiwiTek, I'm not sure if it is regional where I live or the new generation. I was always taught Mr/Mrs "last name" while I lived in the Midwest US, but here in the southern US I hear a lot of Mr Ken. Using the Mr but still the first name. Also down here they drill "Yes Sir/Ma'am" into a child but don't seem to bother with please, thank you, or excuse me.

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 October 2012 - 03:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

We are getting so used by keeping to ourselves and minding our own business that we are forgetting there are others around us. One problem I notice in today's society is that if you're trying to help out other often will mock you for it. Maybe not the person you're helping out but another person, who could've done the same but simply didn't bother.

It indeed cost nothing and you might gain selfrespect or respect and appreciation from others, but in today's society's mentality... you can kiss goodbye to that. Everybody complains about everything. The least thing is enough to start ranting about or to call the police.

When it comes to manners and courtesy... there's a huge lack of that everywhere. I work in a clothing shop and I really notice that on crowded days. You have difficult customers of course but if there's one thing that really makes my blood boil it's customers with children. It's a very big shop and it happened before children losing their parents or children running/playing/screaming/crying around. And of course as part of the staff, you have to remain polite. But it can really make me furious. The parents don't look after their children the way it should and the children are acting like everything is allowed. They're running between racks like their lives depend on it, they crawl under it from one to another, parents don't care.

Whatever happened to setting your kids straight?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 28 October 2012 - 10:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Mela_007 @ 29 October 2012 - 01:53 AM)
KiwiTek, I'm not sure if it is regional where I live or the new generation. I was always taught Mr/Mrs "last name" while I lived in the Midwest US, but here in the southern US I hear a lot of Mr Ken. Using the Mr but still the first name.

That's a southern thing isn't it? I'm sure I've heard that in movies and TV shows taking place in some Southern US areas. hmm.bmp

PM                                                                     
M.C. Wolfcat
Posted: 29 October 2012 - 01:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Tinker Deluxe

Favorites
Episode:All of them

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 28 October 2012 - 08:34 PM)
Another example I've started to notice recently, and I'm not sure if this is just a kiwi thing or world wide, but when parents are talking to their kids about another adult they call the adult by their first name instead of Mr, Mrs, Ms etc. I actually saw an example of this yesterday when my neighbor had visitors and the visitor told her child to go and say "thank you" to Ken for letting you play here instead of "Go and say Thank You to Mr --- for letting you play here." headbutt.gif

When I was a kid I would have been kicked in the pants for calling an adult by their first name.

I know what you mean.

I don't have anything against using Mrs/Mr "first name", but nowadays they don't bother with the Mr or the Mrs part.

I was tawt that you show respect this way and it just drilled itself into me. Unless it's someone i know well i'll use their name.

I was once really taken aback at a family gathering. I met my nephews for the first time, they didn't know my name and i'm like twice their age and they called my a "girl"???? dry.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 29 October 2012 - 04:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I think it is a regional thing here in south US. It doesn't bother me, there is still the added respect shown with the mr/ms part. What annoys me is I will hear parents really get onto a child that does not say sir or ma'am when speaking to an adult, but the rest of the child's manners are not checked at all.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 October 2012 - 03:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Yet again today, some great examples of how not to raise your children. It's more crowded now the shop due to the beginning of the skiing season. (I wonder if Mac still ski and if he need some new stuff. wink.gif ) Sometimes, I would just like to grab a kid and tell him to behave when he's not behaving. Too many parents in my opinion are also lacking in saying that. A little too much it happens that they say: "if you don't behave, I'll get angry." I was thinking: 'Just get angry already.' I think I wouldn't be very Mac-ish as a father. I think I'd be much much more strict. Depending on the age maybe.

Like the topic title: manners and courtesy cost nothing. Just a little effort maybe.

You know, Rush To Judgment has a very fine example of courtesy. In the beginning when they're on the bus, MacGyver, the old lady and the man are discussing Danby's case. When the man claims he knows enough on the case, the old lady points out (can't exactly remember what it was) he actually shouldn't rush to judgment because of skin color I think. She than says: 'Isn't that right, MacGyver?' And he later replies with 'Mrs...' whatever her name was. It shows respect for an elder person.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 2 November 2012 - 01:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I agree that Rush to Judgement is a great example of MacGyver's manners. Especially the added respect shown to the Judge when he answered his direct questions both in the Jury box and in the hallway. He concluded each answer with a "Sir". Even Pete did not add the "Sir" to his direct answers to the Judge's questions.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 11 December 2012 - 03:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

In the past few days I noticed that manners and courtesy can give a certain amount of satisfaction. Like Kiwi pointed out on how MacGyver immediately picked up paint brushes for Deborah in The Negotiator, I experienced something a like. I was walking through the tunnel of the station couple of days ago and I noticed this woman who dropped a glove from her purse. She just continued walking until she realized she lost a glove. I saw it, walked towards it and picked it up when she retraced her steps. I gave it back to her and she repayed me with a genuine smile and a thank you.

I don't even know why I picked it up, it happened automatically. Usually I don't look at this kind of things. Or I do but I don't react, I just keep walking minding my own business. But it felt pretty good. biggrin.gif

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 12 December 2012 - 03:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 12 December 2012 - 12:22 PM)
I don't even know why I picked it up, it happened automatically. Usually I don't look at this kind of things. Or I do but I don't react, I just keep walking minding my own business. But it felt pretty good. biggrin.gif

Great story! Really emphasizes that just knowing you've done the right thing and/or helped someone is reward in itself.

Manners and courtesy are self rewarding. smile.gif

MacGyver would be proud.

macsak.gif

PM                                                                     
indiana9310
Posted: 6 March 2013 - 09:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Hiker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Enemy Within
House:  Loft

Growing up my parents made sure that manners and courtesies were ingrained into me. My parents were only to happy to let me watch MacGyver for a multitude of reasons, but one because the show had the main character (hero) having real human emotions and shown him that being a hero does not mean you have to be gruff and rude. I think it helped me to realize that helping people is more of a noble notion than that of ignoring situations and believing that someone else can take care of it or let it be an others problem. For the last 18 years, since age 20, I have served as a public servant in one way or another. I find it rewarding to serve and help others. I partly can thank the MacGyver show helping to reinforce what my parents had taught me, which now I am teaching my children.

"Hi, this is MacGyver. We all know how these things work, so when you hear the beep, go for it." - The Negotiator

PM                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 14 March 2013 - 06:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

Too true! At 17, I'm very ashamed of my generation. Courtesy, and basically common sense and intelligence, seem to be slowly dropping out of sight.
My parents have taught me well and I hold courtesy as a sort of honor that we all must practice and uphold.

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 14 March 2013 - 06:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Good for you Yope! Show those around you how they should act by seeing the courtesy in you!! smile.gif

I think my manners and courtesy came from my parents in two different ways. Yes, they taught us and required manners from us, but I think a lot of it came from just watching my parents. I often find myself helping someone in just little ways. I don't even think about it most of the time, but it does feel good when you get that thankful smile from them. Just something as simple as reaching something down from an upper shelf for a shorter person at a store as one example. I guess a lot of the time I just try to treat others how I want to be treated too. blush.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 14 March 2013 - 06:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

I'm one of those short people (5 feet) and boy, I can express how grateful I am to someone who reaches up and helps me out. smile.gif
Exactly! Treat others the way you'd like to be treated!

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 15 March 2013 - 01:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Manners and courtesy comes down to one thing for sure: help out when you can help out.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
AussieMacFan
Posted: 15 March 2013 - 08:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Wenger Viking

Favorites
Episode:Cleo Rocks
Jacket:  Black leather

My mum always tells me, "Manners cost nothing but they get you a lot."

It's true and a good thing to remember. happy.gif

"How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing?"
-John Lennon

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Daisy8577
Posted: 16 March 2013 - 02:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Passages

I have to agree with everyone on this. I am 35 yrs old and I still address people I have known for many years as Mr./Mrs. It truly is a generational thing. Kids these days are sadly not taught manners like we were. My husband still opens the door for me and anyone else.
I can't tell you the last time I heard a child say please, thank you, or excuse me.
I don't have kids right now, but they will be watching MacGyver when they are older.

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 16 March 2013 - 04:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I remember as a kid at school when we had to line up to go to the library or into our classroom the girls line always went in before the boys. Subconsciously it was teaching us that girls go before boys. These days it's called sexual discrimination by the PC brigade and so we lose yet another of our humanities to bloody-minded stupidity of the weak and spineless who, for some reason, we have allowed to control our society.

PM                                                                     
Daisy8577
Posted: 16 March 2013 - 05:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Passages

Now that you mention about lining up the girls first, then the boys, it was that way when I was a lid too. In my mind PC has gone too far and it doesn't teach kids anything anymore.

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 16 March 2013 - 01:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Yeah I agree. It's at a point now where it's causing more harm then good to our society.

PM                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 16 March 2013 - 01:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Agreed. I'm lucky, blessed I should say, to be homeschooled. The things that go on in public schools nowadays are atrocious!

-Red Skelton

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 23 August 2013 - 01:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Things have gotten so bad between the PC contious and the Security contious that now it's "wrong" for us to show our manners?? For example, at work there is a new rule in place for the contractors at the facility (I'm not a contractor). They were told they are not allowed to let anyone "piggy-back" on their access card when entering the building. I am very security contious and I have no problem with that part when it comes to visitors, vendors, or any other unknown person. However, they are including their co-workers in this directive.

So, I was stopped along with 2 other co-workers by a person who would not allow us to go through the door after they had opened the security lock. I would understand if it were a regulation that we all had to swipe our card for the system to recognize that we were there, but that is not the case. She just made us wait until the door re-secured and we had to use our card to open it. Then the next day I was trying to hold the door open for this same lady as I was exiting and she was entering and she stopped, held up her hands, and said "I'm sorry I cannot piggy-back". So I let go of the door and walked off. surprise.gif

Is it just me??? Am I just crazy? I mean, now it's wrong to hold a door open for someone I work down the hall from 52 weeks a year??? headbutt.gif unsure.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted: 23 August 2013 - 11:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

QUOTE (Mela_007 @ 24 August 2013 - 09:51 AM)
Then the next day I was trying to hold the door open for this same lady as I was exiting and she was entering and she stopped, held up her hands, and said "I'm sorry I cannot piggy-back". So I let go of the door and walked off. surprise.gif

Is it just me??? Am I just crazy? I mean, now it's wrong to hold a door open for someone I work down the hall from 52 weeks a year??? headbutt.gif unsure.gif

Sounds like paranoia and/or fear of authority overriding manners to me!

No, you're not crazy smile.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 24 August 2013 - 11:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Thanks Rocket, sometimes I have to wonder if it's just me (or the rest of us Mac fans) that must be wacky for thinking manners are important. I just need to learn to let it roll off my back and pick my battles, I suppose. huh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted: 24 August 2013 - 12:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

QUOTE (Mela_007 @ 25 August 2013 - 07:18 AM)
Thanks Rocket, sometimes I have to wonder if it's just me (or the rest of us Mac fans) that must be wacky for thinking manners are important. I just need to learn to let it roll off my back and pick my battles, I suppose. huh.gif

I don't think it's just us, but we're definitely not in the majority any more...

Interestingly, it's often the roughest/scariest looking people who have the best manners smile.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 25 August 2013 - 02:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

True. I hadn't thought about that, but you're right. Sometimes it's the sweetest looking that are the rudest of all. Sad that we're not in the majority anymore, but I believe you're right there too. blink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll