House:  ---

user posted image

006 - Turmbo's World

Airdate: 10 November 1985
Writer: Stephen Kandel
Director: Donald Petrie
Opening Gambit Writer: Stephen Kandel
Opening Gambit Director: Lee H. Katzin

Guest Cast: David Ackroyd as Trumbo, Peter Jurasik as Dr. Charles Alden.

Opening Gambit: White Water
MacGyver must rescue a captured scientist from her Basque captors.

Main episode:
Deep in the Amazon jungle, MacGyver teams up with a local plantation owner to battle an invading horde of killer ants. (Includes clips from "The Naked Jungle," a 1954 George Pal movie).

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 11:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Vote totals from 8 Oct 2006
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 4 ] [20.00%]
OK [ 5 ] [25.00%]
Good [ 6 ] [30.00%]
Excellent [ 5 ] [25.00%]
Total Votes: 20

Archived comments

QUOTE (MacGyver Gal Sep 27 2004 @ 12:31 PM)
Didn't like it...the ants freaked me out

QUOTE (sonyab Sep 27 2004 @ 02:03 PM)
I really liked this episode the only creepy thing was the ants! Ants were all over charley! I can't believe Charley wanted to get very close to the ants to take pictures of them. stupid move! When Mac burned the ants you can tell the fire was fake.. come on.. smile.gif The ants were strong buggers. They didn't die by fire and they floated on leaves to go across the water.. smile.gif ants have high IQ rofl. The ants were all over MacGyver ack! The ants finally died by drowning..  MUAHAHHAA DIE ANTS DIE! Trumbo tells mac that he will regrow everything and he can come back in a year and see what trumbo has done but MacGyver never went to visit trumbo in a year..  That's to bad. It would have been nice to see all that Trumbo grown.. smile.gif

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 27 2004 @ 02:10 PM)

I can't believe Charley wanted to get very close to the ants to take pictures of them

I can't figure that out either? His camera had a zoom on it. why did he need to get closer to them?

QUOTE (Macsrose Sep 29 2004 @ 09:12 PM)
ewww! too many ants! This was one of my least fav's...

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 30 2004 @ 01:08 AM)
Come to think of it, it indeed seemed like an old film.

QUOTE (shippmp Sep 30 2004 @ 02:56 AM)
No question in my mind, this was the worst episode of the series

QUOTE (phoenix Sep 30 2004 @ 10:14 AM)
they used scenes from c. heston's "naked jungle" from 1954. this is one of paramount's worst cost saving edits ever put on television.

QUOTE (Macsrose Sep 30 2004 @ 08:01 PM)
I was wondering about that Phoenix, I had saw that movie and thought those were some of the same scenes...Thanks!

QUOTE (MacGirl May 31 2005 @ 06:07 PM)
Yeah, this wasn't one of my faves. The story line was pretty good, but technically it was badly done.

QUOTE (Amy Jun 1 2005 @ 06:09 AM)
Yeah--one of my least favorites. Every time I watch it when Mac's in the suit he made, I think, What? the ants can't climb under the coats hem or under the neck guard on his helmet? LOL--wondered about the movie thing!

QUOTE (smcstrav Jun 1 2005 @ 01:56 PM)
I just rewatched it on my new season1 dvd set. Yuck - I remember that I was creeped out by the ants the first time I saw it too. I also think it was one of my least favourites.

QUOTE (sonyab Jun 1 2005 @ 03:24 PM)
I voted excellent

QUOTE (lemmy357 Jun 2 2005 @ 07:38 AM)

I voted excellent too. I agree technically this one is poorly done. But it has been a favorite of mine since I first saw it. 

QUOTE (Dave Jan 8 2006 @ 07:38 AM)
I agree it was not one of the best episodes, I think having two of the central characters of the episode die along with not expanding enough on the backstory of Trombo made it especially bad. Also I don't find the drowning thing plausible because only a few had to survive(back at the village for example) to regrow the colony. However it gets points from me for being 'different' and fairly interesting.

QUOTE (penny Jan 9 2006 @ 07:38 AM)
YUCKO! Had a really hard time getting past the ants. (And Mac's trucker hat.)

QUOTE (Lothithil Jan 11 2006 @ 07:55 AM)

That's Mac's dirty ol' Calgary Flames hat! It always makes me smile when I see him wearing it during this ep...

Ice Hockey in the Amazon! *chuckles* Skate fast!

QUOTE (MACGYVERISMYDAD Jan 11 2006 @ 08:26 AM)
ok ep. i never understood either why he got so close to the ants. i guess he wanted to get up close and personal with them. hehe. i think a good idea for an ep would be to have mac come back and visit trumbo and see what he did or didnt do. or maybe the ants came back again and ate trumbo?? i think it would be a funny ep if thats what happened. mac comes back and see a skeleton laying outside of trumbo and he hears the whining of the ants and he just gets in his boat and leaves. that would atleast be a good opener for another ep!!

QUOTE (Sjaop Jan 11 2006 @ 10:47 PM)
I have to agree with rockatteer.
The plotline is okay, but the shots are too lousy.

Indeed you can recognize the blue screen shots way too easily and the shots of the ants are fake too. Probably edited in from a show of the Geographic channel (if it existed already back then, but you catch my drift I guess....)

I voted okay, because I simply love MacGyver even though this one was shot terribly.

QUOTE (MacNymph Jan 12 2006 @ 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (Sjaop --at-- Jan 11 2006, 10:47 PM)
the shots of the ants are fake too. Probably edited in from a show of the Geographic channel (if it existed already back then)

Oh, that probably would have been a vast improvement. They took those shots from a 1954 movie called "The Naked Jungle".

I don't have a problem with ants. Until they show the close ups of their pinchers.

QUOTE (Lee Nole-Isil Jan 28 2006 @ 02:10 AM)

i didn't like this one very much, my family and I were sitting there laughing half the time at the ants 'screaming' and stuff. They sounded like martians.

QUOTE (MacsChick Jan 28 2006 @ 05:28 PM)
I didn't think this episode was that bad. Sure, the editing isn't that great, and they had to use phony-looking shots of ants, but this is a TV budget we're talking about, after all, and the first season--they probably couldn't invest a lot in the effects at that point. The ants crawling on MacGyver looked real, and I liked how he blew the dam and almost got washed away--he's so brave!  I liked his hat! What's wrong with it?  Also, you have to love him anytime he's on a horse!  The stunt people said he's excellent on horseback! Did anyone else notice that Trumbo was the same dude that played the exec/bad guy in The Negotiator?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted on 17 November 2006 - 11:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity

Just voted average. Never was one of my favorites. I already wrote that i wasn't convinced that the suit Mac made was ant proof and also...I agree with Rock...I wasn't convinced by drowning the ants, either. The scene where the dam blows and Mac gets washed away was pretty good...but I don't think the water would've drowned the ants so much as washed them away to start over somewhere else. Don't army ants do this thing where they cluster into ball for safety or whatever? The water came fast, but there were enough of them that many of them could have done that pretty quickly before they would have drowned, maybe. hmm.bmp laugh.gif I'll shut up now...I'm no emtymologist!

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 18 November 2006 - 09:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

I don’t know why but this episode was a bit boring for me. I didn’t think much of Macs friend and for someone so interested in wildlife it is really odd he went and stood next to a swarm of dangerous ants. I wasn’t really interested by the Trumbo character either. I didn’t really buy that blowing that little dam would have caused a flood that would have caused an impact of such a huge number of ants. I vote average. This is one of season one that I don’t watch as much as the others.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lee Nole-Isil
Posted on 2 February 2007 - 12:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Victorinox

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Anything with Murdoc

Sorry, but to be perfectly honest I was too busy laughing at the 'ant sounds' to pay attention to much else...

"The common cockroach. And that's what you are!" -Peter Thornton
"Are you calling me common, Pete?" -Murdoc

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SAK
Posted on 3 February 2007 - 05:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Recruit, Hiker

Favorites
Episode:I haven't seen them all yet

Until I saw this episode, I never knew ants made sounds (other than the crunching sounds one can hear in a huge ant farm).

sak.gif

I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you. -MacGyver

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 3 February 2007 - 05:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---

on their own you can't hear them.. but when theres thousands of them all making the same sounds it becomes amplified enough to hear quite clearly.

Same applies to the sounds they make as they cut, break, etc the trees and stuff in their path.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 4 February 2007 - 01:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

Interesting story, but because of budget constraints, they used scenes from that movie with Charlton Heston in the jungle with the ants (again, the title escapes me, but it made in the 1950's).Actually... I think it was called "Empire of the Ants" (just thought of it!) Whenever they do that, I just cheapens the whole look of the show - the film was about 20-some years older and you could see where it was spliced in. They did it in GX-1 - using US fighter planes pretending to be Russian MIG's - segments from some other film. Anyway... I did like the story idea here - Mac has - or had - some interesting friends - many of whom he met while on assignment all over the world, and there were some genuinely good Mac-isms. Fixing the pump, making the ant-proof suite, the flamethrower. It was also nice to see David Ackroyd although he comes back in season 3 as a baddie.

It's a credit to the writers that the show got better as it went on, as season 1 was kinda shaky. The very tired southern California sets got so over-used. But, the first season of any new show is really exploring until the characters find their "voices", so for Mac, season 1 was very different than the others. I'm glad I kept watching...

I voted good. dry.gif jeep.gif

That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 4 February 2007 - 02:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

the movie was called "the naked jungle" a 1954 George Pal movie

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lee Nole-Isil
Posted on 4 February 2007 - 03:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Victorinox

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Anything with Murdoc

*Psst* Don't argue with Admins, tis dangerous! clown.gif

"The common cockroach. And that's what you are!" -Peter Thornton
"Are you calling me common, Pete?" -Murdoc

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 4 February 2007 - 04:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

who's arguing? huh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 4 February 2007 - 05:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Sounds good to me... rolleyes.gif jeep.gif

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Tygr
Posted on 13 April 2007 - 02:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Easy Target
House:  Loft

It's based on a story I've read in one of my older Literature textbooks.

'Tis unwise to wake the Tygr.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." - Psalms 23:4

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Posted on 11 August 2007 - 04:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights

I voted "good". I agree that the story is not that very believable, and yes, those scenes with Mac and his friend on that boat in the river looks VERY fake. But I do enjoy the episode anyway smile.gif I think it is exiting and a little scary too...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Janet Marie
Posted on 11 August 2007 - 05:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:Pilot
Jacket:  Black leather

I did enjoy the episode on the ninvasion of the ants. I like to wait for how MacGyver finds a way out of a problem. That's what makes his series so fascinating. Janet Marie

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver_92
Posted on 11 August 2007 - 08:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

i dont like that episode at all, its my least favorite because those ants are freaky. i agree with amy, and i voted poor.

Lothithil
Posted on 11 August 2007 - 08:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

Things I loved about this episode:

Mac's fondness for eccentric Charlie and his sadness when he died.

Seeing Mac bravely set himself in the path of this devestating natural diaster in hopes that he can somehow help avert it.

Watching him take apart the waterpump and fix it, and the fact that he did it for no other reason than because he could and nobody else would and it was a Good Thing To Do.

Catching the few seconds here and there of extra footage that was edited from my original DVDs (Whoot!!)

Mac on horseback... something that did not occur often enough during the various seasons of this show! wub.gif

Thinks I didn't like:

Poor Louis. sad.gif They really didn't have to kill him (the directors) They could have given him a few nasty ant-bites and sent him running back to the house. We knew the ants could kill humans because of what happened to Charlie, so that was just mean.

Also, they never show MacGyver taking the scary-looking signpost which we see in his Venice Beach apartment living room later (The Prodigal). Perhaps Trumbo didn't give it to him until his return visit, or maybe he grabbed it as they were leaving as a souvenir

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 11 August 2007 - 10:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Hmmm- I can't believe that I somehow missed commenting on this one. Well, I'll go ahead now and say that "Trumbo's World" gets an excellent rating from me! This is a classic MacGyver episode. This is the one that my brothers and I always remember- mainly for the guy that got eaten alive by ants!!! biggrin.gif
Yeah, it's pretty freaky, but for a young boy- it definitely leaves an impact of being a bit freaky and cool at the same time. I mean, I'm disgusted to see the guy get eaten alive, of course- but I think there's a primal instinct for males at least that is fascinated by this kind of thing- not necessarily in a morbid way. But that's just me.

Anyway- the opening gambit is also classic- you can't forget that. MacGyver helps the botanist escape and they do the rappelling down the mountainside scene that's used in the opening credits. And there's some incredible music throughout the episode.
And it was really cool to see MacGyver drown the ants and beat them in the end. It's very much a man vs. nature episode (like "Hellfire") and it makes for an exciting episode. I like it a lot! smile.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 11 August 2007 - 01:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I thought this was a particularly bad episode. More for technical reasons, than story line.

It starts with a really bad blue screen shot of Mac and Charlie going up the river in the boat. Everything from then on seems so fake and artificial. Lighting setups are wrong; picture quality is bad (this may be to make the cut between new scenes and the movie scenes not so noticeable?) Scene backgrounds look very artificial.

All in all it looks like the episode was shot in a badly setup sound stage on a very old 45mm movie camera.

And the drowning the ant's thing didn't convince me either!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 16 August 2007 - 04:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 11 August 2007 - 06:28 PM)
I thought this was a particularly bad episode. More for technical reasons, than story line.

MacGyver didn't have the best technical quality in general. I quickly accepted that when I started to rewatch the show and I don't let bad visuals distract me from a wonderful story.

For 'Trumbo's World' is a wonderful story. Trumbo is a complex man who chose to fulfill his dream to the bitter end. I might not agree with his motivations or practises, but I admire someone who has the courage of their convictions.

On a sillier note, Mac is adorable in his 'suit of armour.'

This ep definitely makes my top fifteen and probably my top ten.

Mac

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted on 16 August 2007 - 05:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Guess I'm one of the few who just didn't like this episode, it would be in my bottom 5

Kate Mackay
Posted on 16 August 2007 - 05:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Camper Red

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker

I voted excellent. Except for the fact the ants ( or any kind of insect ) creeps me out, BIG TIME . I get this creepy, crawly , scratchy feeling on my skin. I just HATE that. EEEeeeehh ! But aside from that, I liked the episode.

I like that his friend drew a very nice picture of him.

And he goes out proving his heroism, time and time again. As he did in this episode, daring himself to go and detonate the bomb that would set the dam open and kill ALL the ants at the same time, really fast. Since they over-came the first time they released the water to the ants. The ants just adapted to that and crossed over using the leaves as boats. But when MacGyver and Trumbo ( actually it was just MacGyver , right ? ) opened the dam fast and allowed the water to flow. And I got scared at that point, as it looked like the water over-came MacGyver. I was actually scared for his life . I thought he had drowned in that sudden rush of the MUDDY water. But thankfully, he made it. He did NOT drown. . And the ants were destroyed . boxing.gif

Sincerely,
Kate Mackay

PMEmail PosterYahooMSN                                                                     
Mac
Posted on 16 August 2007 - 06:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Kate Mackay @ 16 August 2007 - 10:16 AM)
And he goes out proving his heroism, time and time again.

Yes! Just like in my favourite ep, Bitter Harvest, Mac risks his life to save a stranger. Yes, by the time he had to blow the damn he was also saving his own life, but he could have left way before that.

What's with his hero complex?!

Mac

"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver_92
Posted on 16 August 2007 - 07:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 11 August 2007 - 05:28 PM)

It starts with a really bad blue screen shot of Mac and Charlie going up the river in the boat. Everything from then on seems so fake and artificial. Lighting setups are wrong; picture quality is bad (this may be to make the cut between new scenes and the movie scenes not so noticeable?) Scene backgrounds look very artificial.

All in all it looks like the episode was shot in a badly setup sound stage on a very old 45mm movie camera.

i must agree

MacGyversCrush
Posted on 16 August 2007 - 07:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

I voted Poor..

I just didn't like this episode. It creeps me out.. I like ants, while they are crawling along the sidewalk..

But when you have millions of them marching along.. Creepout city.

And tech. hard to watch as Rocketeer mentioned.

I know they are still the feel for the character and what all he could do.

I just have a hard time watching this one..

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 16 August 2007 - 09:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

laugh.gif It makes me laugh to read how many people voted down because they didn't like the ants... would it have been better if Mac had blown up a dam to drown an invading force of cute and fuzzy bunnies?

happy.gif Strange paradigm.

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

Mac
Posted on 16 August 2007 - 09:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 16 August 2007 - 01:48 PM)
laugh.gif It makes me laugh to read how many people voted down because they didn't like the ants... would it have been better if Mac had blown up a dam to drown an invading force of cute and fuzzy bunnies?

happy.gif Strange paradigm.

Trumbo's World, bunnified! (see http://www.angryalien.com/ to get an example of what I just imagined).

roller.gif

Mac

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 16 August 2007 - 10:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Insects... Most folks don't like 'um - they're creepy and crawly - they don't have a good rep... so it's OK to vilify them. Think how many SciFi shows/movies have insects as the "Alien Menace". (almost as many as reptiles.) Ants have a very highly ordered social structure. Each one knows exactly what it's job is - and they really try to do their thing in a sort of robotic fashion - so they seem very scary - ready to take over the world - especially "en masse".

Like Mac said: "... I don't know how good ants are at swimmin', but I'd be willing to bet that a good fire'd get their attention..."

And there are so many insects to choose from... You can make the same movie over and over... just change to a different one... Useful critters to have around in that respect...

blink.gif jeep.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted on 17 August 2007 - 09:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 11 August 2007 - 06:28 PM)

I voted (I think) average, but just for scene quality and the usage of stock footage. The actors entirely carried the show, IMO...

After a few episodes I realized the film quality wasn't going to be up to par, the budget probably a bit tight, not having proven themselves yet.

And Loth was right; it was totally unneccesary to kill off Luiz.

I wish I could have seen the cut footage, though.

My problem with the ants was not the ants themselves, but the fact that water really doesn't kill them. (25+ years living in the land of the red biting fire ants... Ouch!) Fire, on the other hand...

I need to watch it again (now that I'm unpacked) with a critical eye. I didn't notice half of what you'all see.

"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

Nutsy
Posted on 30 September 2007 - 09:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Hey,

Having read that most dislike ants and the poor quality of some of the scenes, and so on and so forth, here is a line I picked from this marabunta episode (excuse me if it is not word-by-word accurate):

"You got one (ant), Trumbo. Trouble is a couple of billion of its relatives are coming to the funeral."

wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll