What Would MacGyver Do?, Tell us about your MacGyverisms!
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
blondmama
Posted: 21 May 2014 - 01:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Kill Zone
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Well here is what I did when I didn't have a clamp for a dryer hose that goes to the dryer I thought what would Macgyver do? Well I thought oh a coat hanger it worked I went and inter looped the hanger after bending it so that the hanger was flat it was a wire hanger and it worked I did this trick a few weeks ago to this day it is still on there I love Macgyver and so does my son smallstart.gif I love when we watch Macgyver it brings back memoirs of when I was younger watching the show

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 21 May 2014 - 09:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Jacket:  Brown bomber

Nice going, blondmama! biggrin.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
blondmama
Posted: 30 May 2014 - 01:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

OK everyone my name is blondmama. I have created this thing to hook the dryer hose to the back of your dryer but didn't have a clamp the thing I said was what would Macgyver do? And came up with putting a hanger bent into a circle then wrapped it around the hose and the metal piece that you cover when putting on the hose.

The other thing I have done like Macgyver is I created something to keep my covers from falling to the floor I use good old elastic that you use for pants and Ex and safety pins to hold it.

I created a cover for my tablet to keep the flap part from scratching the screen I used felt and elastic and then sewed it on then used another piece of felt to cover the elastic up it was ugly you know but now I can still put the thing in back to pop it up so you can watch news or to type

If all else fails I dream about what I can use if I find myself in a bind

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
blondmama
Posted: 7 June 2014 - 02:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

Well everyone have to tell u what I did yesterday I was laminating my CD insert s and something so wrong went wrong at the wrong time well I desired that I was not going to buy another laminater so I did another Macgyverisum I guess I was not happy that it jammed up but I had put it back together I thought it was right but my friend and I fixed it I cleaned it all out and so it works but I will make sure I am on the same level as the laminater I was in a kitchen chair doing the laminater on the floor not good so I guess I won't do that again my boyfriend had came in and asked me if I did a Macgyver trick on it I said yes I did he said go figure. Well my friend and I tried it out before she left and it works like new but like I said next time I will not be higher then the machine that is how it jammed up on me. clapup.gif I am so happy I got it back I didn't want to have to buy a new one.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Macgyver man
Posted: 2 January 2015 - 03:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

There was multiple times when the chain that connects the flusher handle on the toilet to the rubber stopper broke. I used a paper clip to reconnect the chain to the bar. clip.JPG

PM                                                                     
Elizabeth MacGyver
Posted: 29 April 2015 - 10:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:the stringer
Vehicle: Nomad

I fixed my sunglasses with paperclips and ducktape

Hi I'm back!!!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 29 April 2015 - 10:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Nice job! smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
blondmama
Posted: 29 April 2015 - 12:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

Hello All Here are the things I have done and things I did that are ways that Macgyver would do First thing I did was my dryer hose I didn't have a clamp so I used a coat hanger to hold it on it is still working I did this I forgot when I did it.
here is the other thing I did was I Have a dipping kitchen Faucet I have my sons Water bottles I stick a funnel in it and then I let it drip when they are full put the cap on and put them in the fridge
a good friend of mine came up with an Idea which I love she took a small bottle and cut the top off and then cut a U shape in it and then left about 2 inches and used that for her daughter when she washers her hands.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 29 April 2015 - 09:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Great job, blondmama! smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac2Nite
Posted: 20 May 2015 - 04:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker/Hunter

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Challenge
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

QUOTE (Elizabeth MacGyver @ 30 April 2015 - 06:36 AM)
I fixed my sunglasses with paperclips and ducktape

I'd like to see a picture of those glasses! clip.JPG duct.gif biggrin.gif

"Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Kristelle
Posted: 21 May 2015 - 02:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Small Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Eraser, Runners

Ok, my greatest MacGyverism is probably last time we had a show with my choir. We were supposed to sing "Cabaret" from Liza Minneli, and the 40 of us would wear a hat. The problem was to give each one of us a hat in the 1 and a half minute we had between "cabaret" started and the former song finished. And I do not tell you about everyone finding his spot and position on the stage. It had to go FAST!:o

We tried to make it organised, that 8 persons would take responsibility for sending 5 hats to others. But then, some people got 2 hats, some did not get any, it was a mess... doh.gif For me it was obvious, the hats had to come from the roof and down over each of us, so that we could grab our hat and run to our spot.

Then, I fixed 2 long bars over the stage, with a mechanism to get them down and up fast and safely. So was the problem to attach the hats there in a way that would make it possible to have them there from the beginning of the show without them falling, and to grab them without people having to remove anything or taking the risk of damaging the hats: we had to use them for at least the 5 shows + all rehearsals.

So I used curtains rings with a clip on them, and in the clip I attached a magnet. I had to sew a little metal piece on each hat, and then it was done. It worked. happy_dance.gif

The first evening, we all stood with our backs to the public, in position for "Cabaret", ready to grab our hat. We could hear the public holding its breath when the 40 hats came down, it was just fantastic! And now the choir is expecting GREAT things from me for the next show in January thumbsup.gif

Zoe: Help me find the Holy Grail!
Mac: Indiana Jones already did that! I saw the movie!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 15 September 2015 - 09:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

I once produced a piece of baling twine from the bottom of a pocket and made functional someone's suitcase handle that had failed with a mile walk in front of them - apparently the repair lasted another 5 trips!! I also fixed a broken ski binding in the middle of nowhere with my Leatherman screwdriver.

I also couldn't put the paperchains up on our 9' high ceilings and do the tree at Christmas without the help of my kitchen tongs (puts the fairy on the top of the 6' tree standing on a 2' table) and my walking poles hook the paper chain ends over the permanent hooks I have in the corners of the ceilings, but which have things like the TV now in the way of standing a ladder where I would want them.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 19 December 2015 - 04:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

Mac always finds loads of ways to cut the rope that he is often tied up with. I was out in the barn the other night faced with a real tightly tied bale of hay that I couldn't flick the string off, no SAK in my pocket (duh!), and not really wanting to walk back to the house, take all my muddy boots off etc. just to get a knife I needed another solution. I looked all around in the finish spied a shovel. Held up close to the bale the edge of blade nicely sawed through the string in true Mac style. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SakLumberjack
Posted: 19 November 2016 - 12:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: I have 2

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Loft

I originally posted this on another forum I'm a member of on a thread called "What is the scariest situation you have been in?", but thought I'd post it here too as it I felt it has some relevance:

First time I went to my (now) wife's home city, it was the first major trip I'd done on my own (I was 22).

On the way back to Moscow, I was waiting in the departure lounge at the airport, when this cop walks into the lounge, points at me and says "come with me".

So, I followed him back to their office, where his colleague invites me to sit down at the desk.

There's one older cop and one younger cop, the older one's sat at the desk and the younger's stood at the door.

My knowledge of Russian's very limited, so I manage to get the gist that they're "foreign coin collectors" (this is back in 1996, so very few foreigners had ever been out there before that time), talking about "oh, your monarch's Queen Elizabeth", and some such.

Anyway, long story short (too late), I had a small amount of UK coins on me, and I managed to get out of there intact after giving them a few pennies (I needed the bigger value coins for when I got back to the UK).

I was scared - Russian cops all carry guns, at least a small sidearm (probably 7mm or 9mm), and I wouldn't have made it to the door if they wanted to shoot me - but I think I kept my cool on the outside and played it like MacGyver would.

Some days, you wonder why you got out of bed...
Watching and enjoying Season 7 on Region 2 DVD!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 19 November 2016 - 04:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

Great work, Mac!! biggrin.gif smile.gif Corruption is not uncommon in Russia, so I've been told. mad.gif

I worked in Mexico for a large international hotel chain for a year, and our bus was routinely stopped by inebriated Federales who were on the hunt for even more booze. There was one and only MacGyverism too rid ourselves of them at that time .... fork over all our tequila cargo. That's it. That's what they were after. Not nice to have these boys waltz on the bus with their guns have drawn, and half threatening ... even though they were being relatively polite & jovial at the time. unsure.gif

----

My scariest experience was riding the Himalayan roads in Northern India aka 'freefall freeway' - came within a whisker of meeting thy maker too. No Macgyverism was getting me out of it, once I accepted the ride and decided to go on/through with it. It was effing unreal ...

Freefall Freeway

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 20 November 2016 - 07:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Sounds like something out of a movie SakLumberjack biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 21 November 2016 - 04:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

They blackmailed you into giving them your money? Practically a robbery. Could've reversed that into a bribery and give them money to leave you alone.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Scorpion Regent
Posted: 22 November 2016 - 07:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Various

Favorites
Episode:

I was at a construction site and I needed to open a package, there was mo knife handy, but a saw is a serrated blade. I had to do it carefully, but it did the job. The back side of a handsaw blade works well as a straight edge for marking lines on wood.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 24 November 2016 - 01:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I used the SAK saw to cut out a Jack O Lantern for Halloween. It worked like the champ it is....the Swiss Champ!!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
blondmama
Posted: 10 April 2017 - 04:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

well lets see I have a few things that I have done that are what would MacGyver do well the first one is the dryer hose that has the other end outside well I guess you can say I didn't have a Clamp so I used a wire Hanger then since I haven't been on here I guess I have to I love the music is awesome oh I have to say this is really a good one I guess I was in my van and the sun gets me every time on the left side of my face but I put the visor to the left to help well thought every time I turn right I got hit in the head so I thought I took a piece of elastic and Velcro what I did is I put a safety pin on the side close where the hook was and I put the part of Velcro that was the soft part on the piece right above my seat belt is I then took the other end and had to pin the other part of Velcro to the end that is going to hold the visor in place and it works like a charm I love it no more getting hit in the head so I guess my other things I did was instead of buying a thing to hold all my stamps I got a big ring binder and some cereal boxes cut in half then take fold one end up to make a pocket then three hole punch I punched the holes then I put all my stamps into it the single stamps that I have I took double Sided tape I taped a piece of the covers that my stamps i took the smaller ones and put my stamps in the plastic pockets I have so many tricks that I use everyday I have to tell you that we were staying at a friends house and my son had got a small drone and the fan wasn't on but drone got caught in the part that would be attach to the ceiling well it fell in that part first thing I did was unplug the fan and we were thinking about how we were going to get this done then my son said hey what about a paper clip we had two of them and sure enough we got it I was really happy about that clip.JPG did work

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 10 April 2017 - 08:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Welcome back blondmama. Those are some great MscGyverisms! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 11 April 2017 - 01:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

On a recent hike, my son's boot soles began to separate from his boots. We were miles from home, so a friend para-corded the soles onto the boot body. Not pretty, but they made it back to camp! thumbsup.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 11 April 2017 - 08:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Nice one, Barry.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyversGirl4Ever
Posted: 12 April 2017 - 09:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Tinker Small

Favorites
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Truck

Here's a little scary one, (at least for me...)

One day I was home alone and I went to take a shower. I dropped my shampoo and it went EVERYWHERE on the shower floor, so, of course, since I'm so clumsy, I slipped on it. I wasn't hurt too badly, but I started having a VVS attack (Vasovagal Syncope). I tried to calm myself down and then I used the towels to hit my phone from the counter and onto the floor, then I unscrewed the pump from the shampoo bottle and used the pump dispenser thing to "hook" my phone and slide it towards me. I called then called my mom and she rescued me. Thanks Ma!! <3 doh.gif thumbsup.gif happy_dance.gif thumbup.gif

~MacGyversGirl4ever

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 12 April 2017 - 08:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Sheesh! Gotta take it easy MacGyversGirl4Ever

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyversGirl4Ever
Posted: 10 May 2017 - 01:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Tinker Small

Favorites
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Truck

denizen - Haha, yeah, I suppose I should stop dancing in the shower! Shouldn't I?

~MacGyversGirl4ever

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 10 May 2017 - 08:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Worth a try. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 10 May 2017 - 11:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

thumbsup.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
beth
Posted: 22 October 2017 - 10:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Mountaineer

Favorites
Episode:

My cousin had to bring out his "inner MacGyver" during the recent hurricane in Florida. He and his family had taken safe harbor in his dental office . The generator that they were using for power had a glitchy relay and he used dental wire that he had just used some of the night before to wire a patient's fractured jaw to bypass the faulty relay and get the generator working again. His MacGyverism saved the day! happy_dance.gif thumbsup.gif

Beth

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 22 October 2017 - 05:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Classic SD Pink

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights

That just might be the best real-life MacGyverism that I have ever heard. One thousand kudos! thumbsup.gif

"I am not mad. I'm just very, very determined." ------Murdoc, 'Cleo Rocks'

"What is the color of night?" ------Oblivion

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

Highly Illogical. Delightfully Useless. Achtung Y'All.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (9) « First ... 6 7 [8] 9  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll