Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

Been reading a couple of Indiana Jones books and now I'm into Xena. I only have two of them and they're hard to find. The Huntress and The Sphinx was a slow read. Now I'm reading The Empty Throne. Pity to say that the first one was not great, mostly following Gabrielle and hardly any action in it. A Xena episode contains at least two or three fights. I think I just keep them because they're the only books I ever found.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 22 June 2019 - 07:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber

QUOTE (MacGyver85 @ 21 June 2019 - 11:56 PM)
I started reading a book called Get Coding! Learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and build a website, app, and game today. It's pretty snazzy so far.

I think a couple of my other online friends read that XD

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
MacGyver85
Posted: 23 June 2019 - 08:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Each one as I watch it!
House:  Loft

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 22 June 2019 - 11:49 PM)
I started reading a book called Get Coding! Learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and build a website, app, and game today. It's pretty snazzy so far.

XD that's cool! Have you read it?
I really like it so far. It lays stuff out simply and in an orderly fashion with pics so you can check what you've done.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 24 June 2019 - 11:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle

QUOTE (MacGyver85 @ 23 June 2019 - 11:06 PM)
QUOTE (Dragondog @ 22 June 2019 - 11:49 PM)

XD that's cool! Have you read it?
I really like it so far. It lays stuff out simply and in an orderly fashion with pics so you can check what you've done.

No, not yet. Maybe some day happy.gif

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 17 August 2019 - 06:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Yes, but you can't pirate a book. wink.gif

...although you can pirate and audiobook... hmm.bmp

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 13 January 2020 - 07:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Read a couple of slow books again.

The Xena books were crap to be honest and decided to get rid of them.

Utopia: a book based on the concept of Die Hard set in a theme park was another disappointment.

Stephen King's Pet Sematary was in fact and to my surprise also a disappointment. As I always say: movies are better then books. But this one was really a let down while it's considered to be his scariest book ever. Yet it took me at least three months to get through, way too long for a page-turner writer like King.

Then I read two more Indiana Jones books. The Sky Pirates and The White Witch. Two novels that could've been good books. The Sky Pirates could've been a great movie since Indy and his team were following a band of rogues who had access to never seen before technology in 1930. They even briefly thought it was alien technology. Maybe they could've used this novel to loosely adapt it into a film. Though the pace wasn't great and more action was needed, but if it was written like an actual Indy movie it could've been good.

The White Witch is sort of a sequel to it with Indiana Jones and Gale Parker returning from the previous book. Starting off better then the former book, Gale's people had been slaughtered and her soul sister seeks revenge on the killers and tries to rebuild her home by looking for gold that got lost during the civil war and using the magic of Merlin the Magician. And started nice but again pacing issues bothered the reading experience, thought there was a little more action in it.

With exception of The Unicorn's Legacy and The Interior World, none of the Indiana Jones books are actually good. The Young Indiana Jones books were a little more interesting. Next one on the list would be The Feathered Snake. I read that one a couple of years ago. It's written by a German writer: Wolfgang Hohlbein and I heard his books should be better. They're thicker, maybe not better but thicker and more set near and during the war. Anyway, it's next on the Indy-list but not of my reading list.

I've just started reading North and South by John Jakes. The book the mini-series in the 80's was based on starring Patrick Swayze. It's a whole chunk to read with 70 chapters and about 870 pages. As a kid I read it once and it still is the biggest book I've read to this day. I also have Love and War and Heaven and Hell but never read them. Love and War is even thicker with over a 1000 pages and 149 chapters and the third one is about as thick as the first book with 73 chapters in it. The mini-series is one of those shows I grew up with as a kid and watched it at least once a year. I remember with the series there was a lot of switching where Orry meets Madeline before he goes to West Point while in the book he meets her after he has leave. Also George meets his wife Constance before he goes to Mexico but in the series he meets her after the war. Also their sworn enemy Elkanah Bent is different in the book then in the series. He practically switches places with Salem Jones the overseer of the Mains plantation. In the book Bent is an obese person and in the series he's a smaller and thinner man while Salem Jones is a thin man in the book but more an obese person in the series.

Also interesting to read is to know where the Mains and the Hazards came from originally and how they ended in America. The Hazards originates from England where the last male Hazard was a single and childless man who took care of a boy who was beaten by his stepfather. The boy Joseph kills his stepfather and finds shelter for him and his dying mother with Giles Hazard, the man who taught him to read. Knowing the boy is wanted for murder he arranges an ID so the boy can escape to America, after his mother died, under the name of Hazard.

The Mains on the other hand are descendants of a line of dukes from France. Charles de Main and his wife Jeanne also have to flee the country to the United States where he tries to rebuild his fortune but he is also stuck in a childless marriage. While attempting to begin a rice plantation with the help of slaves, Native American slaves first, he manages to conceive a child with one of the slave girls to have an heir to the family. So the Main are part Native American and part French. Then we fastforward about 150 years to the year 1842 where we meet Orry Main on his way to West Point and getting into a touch of trouble and is getting helped by George Hazard and his family, meeting them all immediately instead of during his leave. And that is about as far as I got so far. The prologue and the first chapter are done, onward to chapter 2.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 26 January 2020 - 06:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Been reading North and South for about two weeks now. It's a real page turner. I'm at chapter 17 now and I try to read every morning and evening before getting up or going to bed.

It's definitely different but yet so appealing and accessible. So of course there are changes, there are always changes and while the mini-series is so good, I'm certain that a reboot or remake might work just fine. It's weird to say it really but there is so much material left out or changed in the mini-series that there is still plenty left to make an entire new series that's even more fateful to the novels. Very curious to the rest of it.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Big Mac-gyver
Posted: 12 February 2021 - 05:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Macgyver Meltdown...need I say more?

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 [5]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll