Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 105 - Tough boys

MacGyver suspects a gang of young vigilantes, who are destroying local crack houses, are being trained by an ex-marine from the youth center

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 10 June 2008 - 12:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Ok, here goes. The credits are rolling. The song Tough Boys is catchy, cool. I just have qualms about teenage kids taking the law into their own hands, kind of like Mac in Rush to Judgement. Except these are kids, minors being led by a cop, who has strong personal prejudices against crack dealers.

Manny- man I feel for this guy--newly divorced, his only child killed herself as result of being addicted to crack, not to mention his infant/toddler aged granddaughter, who was born addicted to crack and has serious physical problems. But what he does, while understandable, is illegal and while we sympathize, we cannot justify. His speech after Mac and Hines come to his house to confront him is powerful-maybe the most powerful part of this episode.

The kids- a range--but Coco's death sends a message to Manny--no more killing-no more death--no more kids should die, but this vigilante group isn't the way. Hopefully, the news media would be enlightened of the situation and changes would be made.

Hines--great character--mean, tough, military mind, I love the dialogue between Mac and Hines.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 10 June 2008 - 12:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

It's been a while since I've seen this one. (I generally prefer the earlier seasons so watch them more often)

I do remember this episode has some very good interaction with MacGyver and Hines. And on some level this is probably one of the better PSA episodes, and still very relevant.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 10 June 2008 - 12:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites

Yeah, and as I was watching I thought too about the great MacGyverisms, where Mac knock the one bad guy into the water and uses the gun as a wrench, and makes a water cannon! Great scene! I love the look on Hines face!

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jknnej
Posted on 12 June 2008 - 10:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Brown bomber

I liked this episode, but I only rated it good because the music is just too cheesy. It is catchy, and I'm sure it was cool in the early 90's, but it doesn't translate so well to today!
The beginning is just so-so, but it gets a lot better, and has a lot of good messages.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 12 June 2008 - 12:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

That scene where MacGyver's jumping in and out from behind the car to get what he needed to make the water canon makes me cringe.

Theres a guy firing an Uzi at him and he carries on jumping in and out of the firing line. And even more amazingly, he didn't get hit... not even from a ricochet.

I watched this last night, and found it to bee quite an enjoyable episode. I think it was pretty well written compared to some others in this season. The way all the evidence was pointing at Hines being the ring leader, but then a sudden twist (of sorts) to find it wasn't.

A well written and enjoyable episode, although that bit with the water canon as I said above... eesh.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 12 August 2009 - 03:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Anyone else find themselves really distracted by the way Manny talks through his teeth?

I don't know why but I find it really distracting whenever I see someone talk with their teeth together all the time like that.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 27 June 2011 - 09:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

I actually found it boring. I hated the music, I am not a fan of rap and that rap song was terrible. The acting from Manny was terrible as well, as was the acting from the boys.

And also, after watching Passages yesterday, I see that Mac has cut his hair! NOOOOOOOO!!! Not happy!!

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 16 January 2013 - 08:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I really like this episodes. I admit that I don't care for the music, but then I am not a fan of rap music. However, the words are at least understandable and fit with what they are trying to accomplish.

I really liked the interaction between Mac and Hines!! I thought it was interesting how they just mention Mac checking the background of Hines, but it sounds like he was digging pretty good (typical for Mac) to protect the kids. I particularly enjoyed each time Mac showed Hines that he was not a "tourist". For example, Hines recognizing that Mac knows a lot about violence, and also that he picked a locked door over the more obvious path...just those types of things and their interaction was really good. Also quite funny in several places!! roller.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 18 January 2013 - 03:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams

I gave this episode a "good". There are some things I like about it, but some things I don't. RT Hines actually really rubs me the wrong way, though I'm sure that was done on purpose. I always feel a bit irked during the beginning conversation between Mac and Hines.

I liked the scene where Mac demonstrates his knowledge of violence to Hines and mentions that's why he doesn't like it. Not to mention the whole scene where he's in Hines house.

The rap song is seriously out-dated and a bit annoying after a while.

And Mac's shirt in the beginning... seriously... dry.gif That is one ugly shirt. lol

I liked it though. It's fun to watch and it's always interesting the way Mac describes why he feel the way he feels. He always seems to have a good balance, in my opinion.

It's been a while since I watched it last, so I'll have to watch tonight during dinner. smile.gif

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 18 May 2013 - 10:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

OK, my thoughts in order on this one:

1. That song's dated really badly. Sets the story up nicely though.

2. Hi there, Hines. MacGyver's really not going to like this guy.

3. HINES! GET YOUR SHOES OFF BEFORE YOU GO ON THE MAT!

4. Mac, that shirt is seven shades of nasty... blink.gif

5. Actually this one's still pretty relevant, with the drug concerns and the vigilantes and all. More's the pity.

6. Nice twist, didn't see that one coming doh.gif

7. Manny is seriously off the chain... Time to form a truce, guys.

8. Aha! A MacGyverism involving a firefight and a fire hose. Nice biggrin.gif

9. Phew!

10. MAC! GET YOUR SHOES OFF BEFORE YOU GO ON THE MAT!

11. That's one wicked grin you've got there... MacG.gif

In all, I liked it. Good start to the new season.

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 18 May 2013 - 10:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

LOL! I forgot about how awesome the ending to this episode is when they're back at Challengers. XD Mac mimicking Hines and rolling his eyes is hilarious and I agree... that's one wicked grin Mac has there. Haha! Awesome...

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 24 August 2013 - 03:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

The Tough Boys song seems similar to the chorus of "Hangin' Tough" by New Kids On The Block.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 24 August 2013 - 04:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Aye, New Kids on the Block haven't exactly aged like a fine wine either, have they!
I do hear the resemblance though smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
redskittles
  Posted on 6 December 2013 - 01:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Rocket @ 25 August 2013 - 01:33 AM)
Aye, New Kids on the Block haven't exactly aged like a fine wine either, have they!
I do hear the resemblance though smile.gif

I disagree. I still have a crush on Joe McIntyre. happy_dance.gif

Just watched this episode. As a martial arts student, it drove me nuts seeing Mac on the mat with shoes. It was an okay episode and I think I would call it "average." I think Richard Roundtree did a good job and of course, Mac is awesome.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 6 December 2013 - 01:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (redskittles @ 7 December 2013 - 10:03 AM)
Just watched this episode. As a martial arts student, it drove me nuts seeing Mac on the mat with shoes.

Aha! One more of us...

What flavour of martial arts, if I may ask...?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
redskittles
Posted on 6 December 2013 - 07:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Rocket @ 7 December 2013 - 10:50 AM)
QUOTE (redskittles @ 7 December 2013 - 10:03 AM)
Just watched this episode.  As a martial arts student, it drove me nuts seeing Mac on the mat with shoes.

Aha! One more of us...

What flavour of martial arts, if I may ask...?

Tae kwon do - and I'll be getting my high yellow belt tomorrow, so I'm fairly new to it, but it's addictive. How about you?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 7 December 2013 - 12:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (redskittles @ 7 December 2013 - 04:05 PM)

Tae kwon do - and I'll be getting my high yellow belt tomorrow, so I'm fairly new to it, but it's addictive. How about you?

Excellent! Good for you biggrin.gif

I'm Silat and Judo and yes, it is incredibly addictive!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 7 December 2013 - 10:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I live on my own now, and have thought about taking self-defense classes. Any recommendations on a type? I'm a complete novice. LOL

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted on 7 December 2013 - 11:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

QUOTE (Jediferret @ 7 December 2013 - 02:28 PM)
I live on my own now, and have thought about taking self-defense classes. Any recommendations on a type? I'm a complete novice. LOL

I'd like to hear, too. I've always been interested and hey, having the ability to defend yourself could come in handy.

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
redskittles
Posted on 8 December 2013 - 02:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

I am noobing it up all over the place, but I hope to become more self-confident as time goes on. Perhaps you could do a free trial for martial-arts lessons. You can ask to sit-in on a class and watch with parents or other family members. Try out the different ones and see what you like.

I looked up some ideas and this write-up of krav maga caught my attention from this article. I selected TKD because my husband wanted to get back into it after 20 years away from it.

Self-defense class

Search what is local to you and hopefully find a friend to go with and have fun! boxing.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 11 December 2013 - 07:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I agree with the "Shoes off the Mat"!! I was more annoyed at Hines wearing his shoes than Mac since Hines is the instructor.

Martial Arts is addictive and I miss it tremendously. I studied in Tae Kwon Do for several years. I have been out of it for over 10 years now, but I still miss it. I still use my knowledge of the moves as exercise occasionally, but not near as much as I should! blush.gif

I initially got into martial arts after taking a self defense class. It was called Self Defense for Active Women and taught at the YWCA. The instructor was also a martial artist. He believed that it is difficult to truly defend yourself if you are not fit. Since the stress of the situation you might find yourself in may need the added fitness. I loved the class! Plus the Tae Kwon Do class met next door to our room and I could hear them training...I got sucked in totally!!! laugh.gif boxing.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
redskittles
Posted on 11 December 2013 - 11:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

It's not cheap, but you can always get back into it if it interests you! There are people of all ages that attend the same dojang as me. I'm not much in shape, but we'll get there.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted on 27 November 2015 - 02:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites

I've been working through the end of series 5 and into 6 now. The stories have become more 'put-together' and def. have different feel - less 'comic book', more playing to the current issues of the time and tackling some of the prejudice and social problems of the era - some of which are, unfortunately, still relevant.

I didn't like this one particularly. I wasn't overboard about the rap, I'm fairly open minded when it comes to music and will listen to most things, a certain amount of rap included. I thought the song was over-used in the episode and dubbed too loud over the action.

I can see why Mac didn't like Hines, you wouldn't get away legally with hazing kids these days (its even supposed to be wrong amongst adults in the forces) and I am surprised it was portrayed even in the era that Mac was made. Even though he redeemed himself at the end I still feel that Hines was a nasty piece of work.

I was surprised at the guess of Taekwondo mentioned above. I also wondered which Martial art, but didn't think enough was portrayed to be certain. Martial arts seem to be a recurring theme in Mac episodes. We see Mac practice with a woman in a mask (I forget which episode) - I assumed that might have been a form of Karate, even Pete mentions attending Karate lessons once. There are also a lot of MA moves that are often choreographed in the fight routines. I kind of hope that Mac himself knew Karate as that is another of my current fairly new things to be learning.

NB. Shoes off works for me, and I prefer Mac with slightly shorter hair.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 27 November 2015 - 03:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

Come to think of it. Season 6 starts with a preachy episode. If it started with Humanity it would've started with a bang.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted on 3 December 2018 - 12:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Episode:ETSS, Partners

I feel like he should have tried to throw or drop the bomb when it was down to 3 seconds and he didn't know what to do...

I mean obviously it was nice dramatically because it wasn't going to go off, but since he didn't know that... unsure.gif

I think I would like this episode a lot more if they didn't overplay that song so much lol

Jediferret: And Mac's shirt in the beginning... seriously...  dry.gif  That is one ugly shirt. lol

I actually like it laugh.gif better than some of the other ones! I remember the shirt in deadly silents being pretty horrible lol

"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 3 December 2018 - 03:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Dropping the bomb would've killed him for sure. If he dropped it and the bomb went off in mid-air or hit the floor below the fire from the mushroom cloud would've consumed him.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted on 3 December 2018 - 11:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Episode:ETSS, Partners

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 3 December 2018 - 03:41 AM)
Dropping the bomb would've killed him for sure. If he dropped it and the bomb went off in mid-air or hit the floor below the fire from the mushroom cloud would've consumed him.

Fair enough... but what if he threw it down the hallway? Surely a better chance then letting it blow up in his face?

"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 3 December 2018 - 11:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Since he was caught in the net, I don't think he would've been able to give it a good throw either no matter how much time there was left. Throwing or dropping, it can always cause the bomb to go off prematurely. If the bomb was real and went off, it would've gotten him. Then again, I imagine Mac rather dies trying to disarm the bomb then just throw it away.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 2 December 2020 - 04:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

Why is this a good episode? Mac is already in good shape for its "Macgyverime" sorry the word does not exist in France. And also because the duo Manny / Hines are exceptional, the contract is fully fulfilled, moreover their voice actors are excellent, they are big names in dubbing, which is a significant plus.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll