DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Situation - car under carport. My mother wanted some extra washing line space, so we added some washing lines under the cover which prove ideal for drying, even when it rains - v. useful. However, I now have a problem - we love birds - we encourage them into the garden and feed them regularly. The birds are now sitting on the lines and I have a errrrr.......'splat' problem on the car.

What do you think MacGyver would do?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macgyver1985
Posted: 8 May 2016 - 12:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Hang wind chimes on your line to make noise. Maybe this will chase them away. biggrin.gif

KiwiTek
Posted: 8 May 2016 - 04:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

By a cheap car cover?

Install removable or retractable lines?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 8 May 2016 - 05:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

I think it's easily down with a partition of some kind. The fun part is doing it as frugally as possible. I would buy a 'blue roof, some duct tape and then find a few spare pieces of framing lumber laying around and thenbuild a little portable tent that you can move around and block the majority of the whitewash.

A 'blue roof' is just a blue tarp which became a life preserver after the Katrina hurricane disaster. Google 'Katrina Blue Roof' and you will see plenty of examples. Anyway, you can buy a 3' x 4' blue tarp here for $3.00 at the $dollar$ store, and a roll of duct tape for another dollar. If you have no lumber laying around, find some branches that you roll the tarp ends up in and maybe add a few stones for weight and then tape it off and place it strategically between the bird & the bomb. biggrin.gif

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 8 May 2016 - 11:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

biggrin.gif Many thanks for your thoughts everyone - I thought you might like an ideas session.

Thoughts:

Windchimes - def. possibility - slight drawback is that the carport is near the house and we often have the back door open - I know wind chimes make a pleasant sound, but my mother might find the constant sound a little grating.

Car cover - have considered it, but I've heard that sometimes these trap the air and cars don't keep particularly well under them - the nice thing about the open sided carport is that it seems to provide an ideal car keeping environment. A tailored cover may require a big of extra effort to put on and off properly too and the car is regularly used.

Retractable lines - I have got one that I took a look at - the slight hiccup is that we drilled holes into the beams in the roof and the lines pass through these in about 4 places so the washing doesn't sag, so its a bit of an effort for my elderly mum to do (and fiddly for anyone else) - esp. since she fell down and hurt her shoulders.

'Blue Roof' - might be worth some more thought - putting it on a frame might be a little too much effort, but winding around a couple of poles to weight a light tarp. at the ends and unwinding over the car, or weighting a tarp along all the edges by making a fold and filling the seam with something heavy like some big pebbles might be worth considering. That way I get something I could just quickly drape over the car.

Birds and bombs just about sums it up!!

All suggestions most welcome. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 9 May 2016 - 04:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (Maclover @ 9 May 2016 - 07:08 PM)
'Blue Roof' - might be worth some more thought - putting it on a frame might be a little too much effort, but winding around a couple of poles to weight a light tarp. at the ends and unwinding over the car, or weighting a tarp along all the edges by making a fold and filling the seam with something heavy like some big pebbles might be worth considering. That way I get something I could just quickly drape over the car.

Could you attach one of the poles to the carport so can just pull the other end out over the car when needed and fold or roll it away when not needed?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 9 May 2016 - 04:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Twice Stung

The retractable line seems the easiest to me, but not nearly as much fun to make as the others. How about a Garden Owl (plastic owl, some of which hoot from a motion sensor on the owl)? We have one, and as long as you move it from time to time, it continues to work.

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll