Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 114 - The Visitor

MacGyver tries to stop a rural couple from handing over their life savings to two “visitors” offering a perfect life on another planet.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 5 November 2006 - 06:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

I liked this one. It was in line with Ghost Ship--another unexplained phenomenon that MacGyver tries to explain through science, yet the ending still leaves you wondering. In both episodes, the unexplained is "faked," yet something happens at the end that makes you change your mind again and wonder if it is real. I liked Phil, the Vortex Vacuum guy. I really did wonder if he was an alien! In one of my fanfiction crossovers with Stargate, he was actually Thor! happy.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 5 November 2006 - 07:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory

I love "The Visitor" I thought this was a great episode. It is certainly reminiscent of "Ghost Ship" as it has MacGyver grappling with another unexplained phenomena- and those kind of storylines are always interesting... For a fairly reality-based show for the most part (especially with the scientific explanations behind the MacGyverisms and all)- MacGyver has its moments of "Twilight Zone" incidents. Which just makes it all the more mysterious and cool... (I guess I'm mainly thinking of "Ghost Ship", "The Visitor", "Serenity", "MacGyver's Women", "Good Knight, MacGyver", "Walking Dead" and maybe some others)

Anyway- I thought Phil the vacuum guy was great. There was a good amount of action- and the storyline was certainly pretty unique- desperate people getting ripped off by fake aliens! And MacGyver had some good science stuff going on- with explaining the blue light phenomena and all. And MacGyverisms- well, there's always the good old SAK lock pick trick! Overall- an excellent episode! sak.gif duct.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 08:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I voted excellent on this good episode. Phil was the cab driver from Legend of the Holy Rose, with him always showing up at the strangest moments and helping MacGyver like that in a way.
Also the kid from The Outsiders shows up again, little older now, seems like 12 years now.
One of my favourite moments is when MacGyver is almost caught when he's searches through the trailer. The look on his face is hilarious when he hears the car coming closer.
I like episodes starting overnight with immediate setting of action.

A name from Phoenix under Siege is used in this episode: 'What in the Sam Hill was that?'

I liked this one. It was in line with Ghost Ship--another unexplained phenomenon that MacGyver tries to explain through science, yet the ending still leaves you wondering. In both episodes, the unexplained is "faked," yet something happens at the end that makes you change your mind again and wonder if it is real.

You got a wonder!! One of my favourite lines.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 10:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

Good episode! Lotsa fun and gadgets and MacGyverisms and flamethrowers! clapping.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 6 November 2006 - 11:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

I really liked this one. Like Loth said there was a lot going on with gadgets etc but also the story of the family so desperate to find a way to cure the mothers illness was heart breaking. They were so desperate they were willing to believe the unbelievable. That couple posing as the aliens were really evil to exploit them that way.

I loved how MacGyver looked for the facts behind the amazing light show and even though it must have been awful to break the news to the family, he told them what they had to hear.

I loved Phil who gave a little light relief to what was quite a heavy story line.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 10 June 2008 - 01:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

This is one that I am choosing to watch in the MacGyver marathon tonight.

The UFO stuff is a little cheesy to me. But a good episode.

I feel for the family-maybe having kids, and family, and family that have died, i just identify with the family's desperation to find a solution.

I am in agreement that Phil, the vacuum cleaner salesman is the comic relief. I love it when he makes Mac's bail. All because Mac's month old generator is caput, and he has to shell out $245 to the garage. roller.gif

The stuff between Mac and the sheriff is good, Mac's being offered dinner by the sheriff's wife, and the stuff later in the garage, about checking out the Rygels. They are from Orion, Illinois. I have been to Orion, Illinois a couple of times, so that part is funny to me. Mac mispronounces the name, but I can forgive that.

Phil is the comic relief. Tommy is the heart. He tells Mac about his mom having cancer, and these people promising a better life on another planet. All I know is I hope that sheriff locked the Rygels up an threw away the key for trying to kill Mac and the Wylie family, Phil too.

The Rygels just give me the creeps. nasty.gif

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 24 September 2008 - 02:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Anyone notice the similarities of the Rygel women to Deborah from The Negotiator episode?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 1 October 2008 - 04:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 24 September 2008 - 10:15 PM)
Anyone notice the similarities of the Rygel women to Deborah from The Negotiator episode?

I wondered about that too when I watched the eppy last night but couldn't be so sure.

I also like that vacuum guy and what he said 'A good salesman always manages to be where he's needed the most' should be the motto for all sales people! (although he was unsuccessful in selling any cleaner to either Wylie, Rigels and Mac)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 2 October 2008 - 04:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

QUOTE (dinoman @ 2 October 2008 - 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 24 September 2008 - 10:15 PM)

I wondered about that too when I watched the eppy last night but couldn't be so sure.

I wonder---did Mac notice the similarity between Mrs Rygel and Deborah in look and even voice tone? She was as cold and uncaring as Deborah too--just creepy. mad.gif

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Betamac
Posted on 13 December 2008 - 05:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Watching this made me wonder if the way Mac replicates de UFO in his garage-barn-lab really works the way they played it. Obviously a little license for the scale of the big thing over the land is OK but I wondered if in miniscale it really works. Anyone?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 13 December 2008 - 12:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I wonder if it would really work at all, regardless of size.

I would expect you would have more chance of making it work on a small scale, where you can control the exact amounts and quantities of the required ingredients than on a large scale out in a field where you have outside factors messing things up for you.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 18 June 2009 - 12:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Voted excellent. Liked the vaccum cleaner salesman, and how he and Mac worked together to proctec the family from giving away their life savings.

Isn't it funny that the same things are still happening in todays world? I wish we had more Phil the vaccum cleaner salesman and MacGyvers around. open.gif

PM                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 28 November 2012 - 08:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

Episode was good, but the ufo in the end was little bit too much, but anyway good episode. The vacuum cleaner salesman was also mysterious and the neighbourhood too. hmm.bmp

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MDBfan
Posted on 29 March 2013 - 12:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Strictly Business

I knew there was something odd about the vacuum cleaner salesman: His name, Sternwise, tipped me off. ("Stern"="star" in German) laugh.gif

"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

PM                                                                     
Mary-Kate
Posted on 6 July 2013 - 10:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack of Lies (so far)

Cool episode, MacGyver trying to explain a flying saucer through science and succedeing in doing so, but the ending still leaves you wondering.

I also loved Phil, the mysterious guy showing up in front of MacGyver when he needed him most. I liked the way he always introduced him. ''Phil Sternwise. Vortex vacuums.'' (gives a card) laugh.gif

Mostly I like to see how the world works. Meet people. Learn how they're different - and the same. - MacGyver (The Gauntlet)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 19 August 2014 - 04:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

QUOTE (MacsChick @ 6 November 2006 - 02:37 PM)
I liked this one. It was in line with Ghost Ship--another unexplained phenomenon that MacGyver tries to explain through science, yet the ending still leaves you wondering. In both episodes, the unexplained is "faked," yet something happens at the end that makes you change your mind again and wonder if it is real. I liked Phil, the Vortex Vacuum guy. I really did wonder if he was an alien! In one of my fanfiction crossovers with Stargate, he was actually Thor! happy.gif

Comparing this episode to Ghost Ship for me is not quite there.

Yes, both of these episodes focused on the paranormal / unknown which is great but The Visitor was too campy compared to the tone of Ghost Ship.

I did like how Mac went about investigating the phenomenon but felt a bit of a loss of intensity on how the episode should have been portrayed. I guess that's because I have too much of the X-Files in my head and thought it could have been done like that. I actually even felt that way when it originally aired back in 1990 I think.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 21 September 2016 - 11:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 6 November 2006 - 08:32 AM)
I voted excellent on this good episode. Phil was the cab driver from Legend of the Holy Rose, with him always showing up at the strangest moments and helping MacGyver like that in a way.

I was going to write, "Oh, not another dodgy English accent". But now I realise it was not a new dodgy English accent but one I had heard before.

Did the Canadian unions not allow English actors to play English characters whilst in Canada?

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 21 September 2016 - 11:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

QUOTE (denizen @ 19 August 2014 - 04:44 AM)
QUOTE (MacsChick @ 6 November 2006 - 02:37 PM)
I liked this one. It was in line with Ghost Ship--another unexplained phenomenon that MacGyver tries to explain through science, yet the ending still leaves you wondering. In both episodes, the unexplained is "faked," yet something happens at the end that makes you change your mind again and wonder if it is real. I liked Phil, the Vortex Vacuum guy. I really did wonder if he was an alien! In one of my fanfiction crossovers with Stargate, he was actually Thor!  happy.gif

Comparing this episode to Ghost Ship for me is not quite there.

Yes, both of these episodes focused on the paranormal / unknown which is great but The Visitor was too campy compared to the tone of Ghost Ship.

I did like how Mac went about investigating the phenomenon but felt a bit of a loss of intensity on how the episode should have been portrayed. I guess that's because I have too much of the X-Files in my head and thought it could have been done like that. I actually even felt that way when it originally aired back in 1990 I think.

Oh, don't, now I am thinking about how wonderful it would have been had there been an "X-Files"/"MacGyver" crossover. Until 5 minutes, the thought of this had never crossed my mind. Now I am sad that it never happened.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Myrtle Groggins
Posted on 20 December 2016 - 08:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Birth Day, Soft Touch
House:  Second Loft

QUOTE (RadiantRose @ 22 September 2016 - 07:31 AM)
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 6 November 2006 - 08:32 AM)

I was going to write, "Oh, not another dodgy English accent". But now I realise it was not a new dodgy English accent but one I had heard before.

Did the Canadian unions not allow English actors to play English characters whilst in Canada?

According to IMDB Christopher Gaze is from Surrey. (England, not BC.) I think he was doing a "generic textbook" English accent. Either for fun, or a Coconut Effect thing.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
AmigaDeVenezuela
Posted on 17 August 2018 - 06:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Partners and Friends
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors

It's been years since I watched this episode. Try 28 years. biggrin.gif
I go to my mom's house once or twice a week. This week I told her that we are going to watch the episode with the aliens from Illinois. laugh.gif

I watched it a couple of days ago to point out things that are important to the plot. I.e. the vacuum cleaner salesman(i really like that character), the circles within the big circle caused by the alien spacecraft and the napalm and uranium left by the alien craft.

"He always used to say, 'There are no great things to be accomplished in? this life, just small things done with great love.'" Rachel, remembering Father Jim

"Primitive working conditions. Lowsy hours. Monster workload. No pay. What a deal!"-MacGyver Slow Death about the clinic for Hassan's people.

"...but our lives aren't just measured in years. They're measured in the lives of people we touch around us." Peeta Mellark in Catching Fire.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
AmigaDeVenezuela
Posted on 23 August 2018 - 01:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Partners and Friends
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors

QUOTE (Betamac @ 13 December 2008 - 05:16 AM)
Watching this made me wonder if the way Mac replicates de UFO in his garage-barn-lab really works the way they played it. Obviously a little license for the scale of the big thing over the land is OK but I wondered if in miniscale it really works. Anyone?

I don't if it would work in mini scale. I had a cool science teacher in the 6th grade(in 1992). If I could remember his name I would look him up in phonebook. He most likely tried. Not all his in-class experiments worked the first. It was fun trying to figure out why and figure out a way to get them to work.

"He always used to say, 'There are no great things to be accomplished in? this life, just small things done with great love.'" Rachel, remembering Father Jim

"Primitive working conditions. Lowsy hours. Monster workload. No pay. What a deal!"-MacGyver Slow Death about the clinic for Hassan's people.

"...but our lives aren't just measured in years. They're measured in the lives of people we touch around us." Peeta Mellark in Catching Fire.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 19 November 2020 - 05:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyverOnline @ 24 September 2008 - 02:00 AM)

me, she has similarities indeed.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 19 November 2020 - 05:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 18 June 2009 - 12:09 PM)
I wish we had more Phil the vaccum cleaner salesman and MacGyvers around. open.gif

Also

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 19 November 2020 - 05:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll