Murdoc and Penny Parker, was he really in love??
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MurdocFan
Posted: 6 September 2016 - 12:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:So far? Cleo Rocks
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat

In "Cleo Rocks" was Murdoc really in love with penny parker or was he just pretending? I haven't seen all of the MacGyver episodes yet but this is by far my fav Mac vs. Murdoc so far...... call me a romantic but does penny ever appear in another episode with Murdoc???

-MurdocFan
Don't worry, you'll see me again. Just keep looking over your shoulder...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 6 September 2016 - 01:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I think he was and yes, Penny and Murdoc both appears in the episode Serenity.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 6 September 2016 - 03:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

"Cleo Rocks" was easily one of the funniest of MacGyver's comedic episodes. Much better than Harry's Will or Honest Abe!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 6 September 2016 - 04:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Opposites attract, but I think Murdoc was far too cerebral to take PP too seriously.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MurdocFan
Posted: 7 September 2016 - 11:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

Joe SAKic- I don't know, i think he was actually in love but your right about Penny and him not quite fitting in the brain department... shes smart but not like Murdoc brain type thing...... but i think the fact she was diff from him is what made him like her biggrin.gif biggrin.gif happy.gif

-MurdocFan

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 8 September 2016 - 08:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle

I could see him and her together, just as long as he is in a wheelchair and being a romantic french man who directs horrible plays.

Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Macgyver1985
Posted: 8 September 2016 - 08:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I cannot recall there ever being any romantic attraction between Murdoc and Penny. I believe he was pretending to show affection.

Moreover, I vaguely remember what occurred in the episode laugh.gif

MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 9 September 2016 - 08:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

I don't know, I think it started out using penny to get to mac and pete, but when he has her chained up in the end you can almost see the look of disappointment on his face as Penny rejects him and he feels his scared up face knowing that she could never love him. He was being romantic to her by buying her that dress and giving her compliments.

It would be funny if in the spin off even if it was like a secret episode if they have a episode where penny and murdoc got married and had a kid. The kid was a dim witted assassin, who tried to follow in his fathers footsteps but keeps messing things up because he is so dull.

Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Macgyver1985
Posted: 9 September 2016 - 10:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (MACGYVERISMYDAD @ 9 September 2016 - 06:33 PM)
I don't know, I think it started out using penny to get to mac and pete, but when he has her chained up in the end you can almost see the look of disappointment on his face as Penny rejects him and he feels his scared up face knowing that she could never love him. He was being romantic to her by buying her that dress and giving her compliments.

It would be funny if in the spin off even if it was like a secret episode if they have a episode where penny and murdoc got married and had a kid. The kid was a dim witted assassin, who tried to follow in his fathers footsteps but keeps messing things up because he is so dull.

Sounds intriguing! biggrin.gif

RadiantRose
Posted: 10 September 2016 - 11:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

QUOTE (MACGYVERISMYDAD @ 9 September 2016 - 08:33 AM)

So then Mac would have to come along and be nice and try to stop the kid from actually assassinating someone.

Or maybe that role would fall to Sam.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macgyver1985
Posted: 10 September 2016 - 01:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

You have a point. I reckon it will follow a similar storyline as the original, and much will merely be a rehash of the same thing, On the contrary, it sounds kind of interesting if you mentally envision the possibility of Murdoc and Penny getting hitched and having a child that ends up being a silly professional killer. Sounds more like a comedy to me! laugh.gif laugh.gif

He may end up being a simple-minded individual as an aftereffect of his mom's genes.
laugh.gif laugh.gif

MurdocFan
Posted: 10 September 2016 - 01:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Macgyver1985 @ 10 September 2016 - 01:00 PM)
He may end up being a simple-minded individual as an aftereffect of his mom's genes.
laugh.gif laugh.gif

hey now, Penny's not THAT dull-witted biggrin.gif

but seriously that would be funny, Mac would prob end up being nice to their son just because he has no clue what he's doing...............
But wait surprise.gif

If they have a kid then Murdoc is still alive so Murdoc would keep trying to kill Mac but Murdoc Jr. would get in the way of his dad and accidently ruin the trap every time tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Your definitley right MacGyver1985!! It would be more of a comedy biggrin.gif

-MurdocFan

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 12 September 2016 - 09:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

so many possibilities though. Murdoc has a elaborate trap set up for mac that took him days to make. His son comes walking with what he thinks is a gun to shoot macgyver (but in reality it is just a branch from a tree shaped like a gun). As he walks in holding the branch (gun) he trips over the trap murdoc set and sets it off, wasting days all of murdocs time.

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Macgyver1985
Posted: 13 September 2016 - 09:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (MACGYVERISMYDAD @ 12 September 2016 - 07:27 PM)
so many possibilities though. Murdoc has a elaborate trap set up for mac that took him days to make. His son comes walking with what he thinks is a gun to shoot macgyver (but in reality it is just a branch from a tree shaped like a gun). As he walks in holding the branch (gun) he trips over the trap murdoc set and sets it off, wasting days all of murdocs time.

laugh.gif

RadiantRose
Posted: 16 September 2016 - 12:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

QUOTE (Macgyver1985 @ 13 September 2016 - 09:44 AM)
QUOTE (MACGYVERISMYDAD @ 12 September 2016 - 07:27 PM)
so many possibilities though.  Murdoc has a elaborate trap set up for mac that took him days to make.  His son comes walking with what he thinks is a gun to shoot macgyver (but in reality it is just a branch from a tree shaped like a gun).  As he walks in holding the branch (gun) he trips over the trap murdoc set and sets it off, wasting days all of murdocs time.

laugh.gif

So then SAM gets Murdoc and Murdoc Junior out of the trap, but he's going to kill them because it turns out Murdoc was involved in killing SAM's mother. And Mac has to talk him out of killing them because Mac is not an avenging sort of hero. Heck, he even tried to save Deborah.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 17 December 2017 - 06:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Jacket:  Brown bomber

QUOTE (MACGYVERISMYDAD @ 9 September 2016 - 10:33 AM)

I know this is pretty late to respond to this, but I wanted to add my two cents.
I agree that Murdoc probably meant what he said when he confessed his feelings. I don't think there really was any point in pretending to like her. He did look pretty brokenhearted, though he obviously got over it quickly.
I always thought that scene could be improved. He went on and on for too long about how Penny made him feel. I almost gagged laugh.gif . I think he should have shortened it to "My feelings for you were the one part of my act that wasn't fake" or whatever.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 18 December 2017 - 03:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

It was just poorly acted even though I did believe Penny made something loose in Murdoc. Even though he might never stop to try and kill MacGyver. She would dump him and in the end try to kill her.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 19 December 2017 - 08:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Classic SD Pink

Favorites
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

Why am I the only person who likes this episode?! Honestly, Murdoc confessing his love for her was a highlight for me. And so was MDB's acting during that scene. But what do I know? I'm the hopeless romantic who's in love with the guy. *shrugs*

Anyway... Here are a couple of screenshots from MDB that might help shed some light on the subject. You can click the thumbnail to see the picture larger.

user posted image

user posted image

"I am not mad. I'm just very, very determined." ------Murdoc, 'Cleo Rocks'

"What is the color of night?" ------Oblivion

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

Highly Illogical. Delightfully Useless. Achtung Y'All.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 20 December 2017 - 03:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Sanguine @ 19 December 2017 - 10:18 PM)
Why am I the only person who likes this episode?! Honestly, Murdoc confessing his love for her was a highlight for me. And so was MDB's acting during that scene. But what do I know? I'm the hopeless romantic who's in love with the guy. *shrugs*

Anyway... Here are a couple of screenshots from MDB that might help shed some light on the subject. You can click the thumbnail to see the picture larger.

user posted image

user posted image

Those are really interesting! And I do like Cleo Rocks, but I thought he overdid it a bit. But I think his dialogue kinda gives us a light into his past. He must have had a pretty rough life. I've always felt sorry for him sad.gif

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

PM                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 20 December 2017 - 07:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 20 December 2017 - 06:47 PM)
Those are really interesting! And I do like Cleo Rocks, but I thought he overdid it a bit. But I think his dialogue kinda gives us a light into his past. He must have had a pretty rough life. I've always felt sorry for him sad.gif

I guess I can understand that. I'm used to William Shatner's overacting, so I'm probably desensitized to that a little bit. wink.gif

I agree wholeheartedly. The look on his face when she rejects him kills me every single time. The worst part of it for me is that he just looks so resigned. I've talked to Uniquelyjas about this before, but he just seems to completely understand. He doesn't like what Penny says and he's hurt by it, but he isn't in the least bit surprised. His expression just seems to say, "I get it, because I wouldn't love me, either." And *that* just gets me worse than *anything.*
MDB has said before that Murdoc doesn't care if he lives or dies, and I think that his reaction in "Cleo Rocks" just underscores that. Murdoc has nothing at all to live for, and that's just so scary and so sad.

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 21 December 2017 - 10:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

I totally agree with what Sanguine wrote above. Since talking with her and paying more attention to Murdoc episodes, I see Cleo Rocks, and this scene in particular, in a whole new light. Yes, Mac is still my number one guy, but I'm realizing there's a lot more to Murdoc than meets the eye. I really do feel for him in this scene and I think it was acted well. For those who thought it was overacted, perhaps that's because we're used to seeing the "mean", more one-dimensional Murdoc (just my opinion.) OK, there are my two cents!

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 21 December 2017 - 10:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams

MDB is a nice guy, and he probably did really care about Teri Hatcher. Maybe he used that to bring out that compassionate side of Murdoc towards Penny, making it more realistic.

I don't see it being that hard for Murdoc to love Penny. He mentions that Ashton was "his innocence". So most likely he fell in love with Penny due to her own innocence. Even MacGyver had a brotherly need to protect Penny for the same reasons... she was innocent, naive and trying to do her best.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 21 December 2017 - 03:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

The one thing I always regretted about Murdoc's storyline is that we never really found out about his past. I understand that nobody's perfect, and that we all have selfish tendencies, but nobody's born a hitman. Murdoc looked briefly sad in "Halloween Knights" when he mentioned the death of his parents, so he must have been pushed over the edge at some point in his life.
I can't help but notice the way Penny told him that "Jaque Larue (did I spell that right?) lives in you," or whatever. The look on his face when she says that gives me the impression that he realized Penny believed in him, long after he stopped believing in himself. "Cleo Rocks", "Halloween Knights", and "Strictly Business" gave me the impression that part of him regrets the path he took in life, and that sometimes he wishes he could change, but doesn't believe he even can.
It breaks my heart to think about. sad.gif broken.jpg

PM                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 21 December 2017 - 07:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I just love all of the great discussion in this thread right now. So many good points!

Uniquely: I like that you pointed out the "mean, one-dimensional" Murdoc, because that's probably what he wants people to see. It's like you were saying on the Halloween Knights thread: he always has to keep his distance from everyone, so he has all of those barriers to hide the person inside.
...I kinda hate to make this comparison, but I just now thought of the Doctor Who episode "The Girl in the Fireplace." Every time he meets a bad guy, the Tenth Doctor makes a big deal about how he's the Oncoming Storm and the man who singlehandedly destroyed the Time Lords and the Daleks and blah blah blah, but then when he met Reinette, she was able to recognize the "lonely little boy" that he really was inside. I think it's much the same with Murdoc. Penny was able to recognize the person inside Murdoc that he'd always been forced to hide---even from himself.

Jedi: Oh, absolutely! I wouldn't at all be surprised if MDB used his real friendship to influence the scene, especially since he brought a lot of himself to the character in other places throughout the series.
And I love it that you brought up Penny's innocence and that connection to Ashton. I couldn't agree with you more. Penny is everything that Murdoc can never have. love.jpg

Dragon: I think you hit the nail on the head, in every regard. Clearly, Murdoc hasn't led an easy life, and to be honest, even if he's proud of himself and the work that he's done, there has to be some part of him that isn't as okay with it as he claims to be. He very obviously doesn't have psychopathic/sociopathic tendencies, so just from human nature alone, there has to be some part of him, even if it's buried deep inside, that's a little traumatized by everything that he's been through, both because of his career and whatever happened in his past.

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 21 December 2017 - 06:35 PM)

I can't help but notice the way Penny told him that "Jaque Larue (did I spell that right?) lives in you," or whatever. The look on his face when she says that gives me the impression that he realized Penny believed in him, long after he stopped believing in himself. "Cleo Rocks", "Halloween Knights", and "Strictly Business" gave me the impression that part of him regrets the path he took in life, and that sometimes he wishes he could change, but doesn't believe he even can.
It breaks my heart to think about. sad.gif  broken.jpg

YES!!! I could not have said that better myself.

I like to think that Murdoc put a lot of himself into the character of Jacques Leroux. The episode (and his reactions) imply that after a while, he wasn't just acting, which means that Penny very likely got to know the "real" Murdoc. Jacques may have been a character, but that doesn't mean that everything Murdoc said and did was a lie. Penny probably did fall in love with the person that Murdoc used to be or could have been if things worked out differently---but like you said, Murdoc doesn't see a way out.

Did you notice that, at the end of the episode, when MacGyver shows Penny those creepy stalker photos of Murdoc in all his different escapades, she doesn't react with horror or anger or disgust. Instead, she comments on how lonely he must be. And it's true---he must be very lonely indeed. In my opinion, Penny's reaction to that says a lot about them both.

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 22 December 2017 - 06:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Interestingly enough, MacGyver and Murdoc actually have a few things in common. They both lost so much, and it shaped who they became. Mac became a hero, trying to do good no matter what, and Murdoc became... well, we all know what he became. Mac had his Grandpa Harry's advice, and a lot of friends, though. Murdoc had no one.

It kinda reminds me of something I read in the second book of my favorite series The Unnaturals: Escape from Lions Head by Devon Hughes. I won't post the full quote, since it's long, and doesn't completely make since without reading the rest of the book, but it basically boiled down to, "You can't do everything on your own".

PM                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 22 December 2017 - 10:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 22 December 2017 - 09:43 PM)
Interestingly enough, MacGyver and Murdoc actually have a few things in common. They both lost so much, and it shaped who they became. Mac became a hero, trying to do good no matter what, and Murdoc became... well, we all know what he became. Mac had his Grandpa Harry's advice, and a lot of friends, though. Murdoc had no one.

It kinda reminds me of something I read in the second book of my favorite series The Unnaturals:  Escape from Lions Head by Devon Hughes. I won't post the full quote, since it's long, and doesn't completely make since without reading the rest of the book, but it basically boiled down to, "You can't do everything on your own".

I agree. There really isn't an excuse for all the things that Murdoc has done, but when you put the pieces together and see that he didn't have the same guidance and opportunities that MacGyver had, his actions become more understandable.

I like what you said about MacGyver becoming a hero while Murdoc became the opposite due to MacGyver having other people in his life.

It seems to me that a lot of Murdoc's thinking is based around revenge.
He showed up in "Partners" to get revenge on MacGyver and Pete.
In "The Widowmaker," he shouted out, "It's your turn to burn, MacGyver!"
In "Cleo Rocks," he lamented to Pete in the cage about how he had once made a very good living off of assassinations and took great pride in his work before Pete and MacGyver showed up to "spoil his fun."
And in some ways, "Halloween Knights" is a tale of revenge, too---taking out Helman and HIT as an act of vengeance because they stole his sister.
Since Murdoc is so preoccupied with avenging all the wrongs (perceived or justified) that we see in the episodes, I have to wonder if perhaps the reason that Murdoc became a professional killer was partly to seek retribution against the world. You know---some men just want to watch the world burn, and that old schtick. Could it be that Murdoc enjoys killing people so much because he sees himself as a crusader taking out his anger on a world that has caused him so much pain? <shrugs> Who knows?

MacGyver has a lot that he could be angry about in his life, too---but instead of clinging on to any pent-up rage, he channels himself into positive things. MacGyver is also a lot more forgiving and empathetic than Murdoc usually is. Whether that's by nature or nurture, who can say?

I also wonder if some of that could be due to a spiritual influence in MacGyver's background. As far as I know, he never explicitly states his beliefs in the series, but in some places, I think there's a bit of implication that he could have a Christian background. In the episode where he dressed as a priest to stop the assassin (was that episode called "The Assassin" or something like that? I don't recall), he knew enough about Catholicism to know that a real priest would genuflect at the altar, while an imposter wouldn't. And it's been a long time since I've seen "The Madonna," but I think that he was good friends with a priest. So that establishes that MacGyver has knowledge of Christian principles and the Christian moral code. And whether MacGyver is "religious" or not, his overall worldview and personal code of ethics does jive with a lot of Christian (or at least spiritual/religious) thinking. So Mac probably received some kind of moral teachings or mentoring at some point in his life. Now, I'm not going to say that religion/spirituality is the reason that MacGyver has the morality that he has, but I will say that it couldn't have hurt him any.

Murdoc, on the other hand--- Obviously, I'm not going to say that a lack of moral teaching would mean that Murdoc doesn't know the difference between right and wrong. That would be ridiculous. But I will say that if you believed that murdering people would send you to a terrible afterlife or a terrible rebirth in the next reincarnation cycle, you'd probably be inclined to avoid murdering someone, even if you were angry at the entire world. Whereas if you didn't believe in an afterlife and you also didn't see any reason to hold yourself to the social contract of the earthly world, then it stands to reason that that person would be more likely to turn to crime than someone who fears for his immortal soul and/or fears/respects the earthly consequences of human law.

Murdoc obviously has some kind of code of honor, as seen in "Strictly Business," but he probably only applies this code to those he sees as equals. He probably dehumanizes everyone else. He has no regard for the law, so he's free to enact his own personal standards as a twisted kind of justice. And since he has no reason to live, he doesn't fear death...and not fearing death could also indicate that he has no fear of any consequences for the way he's lived his life.

........And also, I really do hate to make this reference, but in some ways they're kind of like the Jedi and the Sith. MacGyver works for the greater good, and Murdoc let his anger guide him to the dark side of the Force.

(I hope that's halfway coherent. I'm writing this too late at night. If it's not---ask me again in the morning, and I'll either be able to clarify my point or I'll just confuse myself. laugh.gif)

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 23 December 2017 - 09:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Sanguine @ 23 December 2017 - 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (Dragondog @ 22 December 2017 - 09:43 PM)

It kinda reminds me of something I read in the second book of my favorite series The Unnaturals:  Escape from Lions Head by Devon Hughes. I won't post the full quote, since it's long, and doesn't completely make since without reading the rest of the book, but it basically boiled down to, "You can't do everything on your own".

I agree. There really isn't an excuse for all the things that Murdoc has done, but when you put the pieces together and see that he didn't have the same guidance and opportunities that MacGyver had, his actions become more understandable.

I like what you said about MacGyver becoming a hero while Murdoc became the opposite due to MacGyver having other people in his life.

It seems to me that a lot of Murdoc's thinking is based around revenge.
He showed up in "Partners" to get revenge on MacGyver and Pete.
In "The Widowmaker," he shouted out, "It's your turn to burn, MacGyver!"
In "Cleo Rocks," he lamented to Pete in the cage about how he had once made a very good living off of assassinations and took great pride in his work before Pete and MacGyver showed up to "spoil his fun."
And in some ways, "Halloween Knights" is a tale of revenge, too---taking out Helman and HIT as an act of vengeance because they stole his sister.
Since Murdoc is so preoccupied with avenging all the wrongs (perceived or justified) that we see in the episodes, I have to wonder if perhaps the reason that Murdoc became a professional killer was partly to seek retribution against the world. You know---some men just want to watch the world burn, and that old schtick. Could it be that Murdoc enjoys killing people so much because he sees himself as a crusader taking out his anger on a world that has caused him so much pain? <shrugs> Who knows?

MacGyver has a lot that he could be angry about in his life, too---but instead of clinging on to any pent-up rage, he channels himself into positive things. MacGyver is also a lot more forgiving and empathetic than Murdoc usually is. Whether that's by nature or nurture, who can say?

I also wonder if some of that could be due to a spiritual influence in MacGyver's background. As far as I know, he never explicitly states his beliefs in the series, but in some places, I think there's a bit of implication that he could have a Christian background. In the episode where he dressed as a priest to stop the assassin (was that episode called "The Assassin" or something like that? I don't recall), he knew enough about Catholicism to know that a real priest would genuflect at the altar, while an imposter wouldn't. And it's been a long time since I've seen "The Madonna," but I think that he was good friends with a priest. So that establishes that MacGyver has knowledge of Christian principles and the Christian moral code. And whether MacGyver is "religious" or not, his overall worldview and personal code of ethics does jive with a lot of Christian (or at least spiritual/religious) thinking. So Mac probably received some kind of moral teachings or mentoring at some point in his life. Now, I'm not going to say that religion/spirituality is the reason that MacGyver has the morality that he has, but I will say that it couldn't have hurt him any.

Murdoc, on the other hand--- Obviously, I'm not going to say that a lack of moral teaching would mean that Murdoc doesn't know the difference between right and wrong. That would be ridiculous. But I will say that if you believed that murdering people would send you to a terrible afterlife or a terrible rebirth in the next reincarnation cycle, you'd probably be inclined to avoid murdering someone, even if you were angry at the entire world. Whereas if you didn't believe in an afterlife and you also didn't see any reason to hold yourself to the social contract of the earthly world, then it stands to reason that that person would be more likely to turn to crime than someone who fears for his immortal soul and/or fears/respects the earthly consequences of human law.

Murdoc obviously has some kind of code of honor, as seen in "Strictly Business," but he probably only applies this code to those he sees as equals. He probably dehumanizes everyone else. He has no regard for the law, so he's free to enact his own personal standards as a twisted kind of justice. And since he has no reason to live, he doesn't fear death...and not fearing death could also indicate that he has no fear of any consequences for the way he's lived his life.

........And also, I really do hate to make this reference, but in some ways they're kind of like the Jedi and the Sith. MacGyver works for the greater good, and Murdoc let his anger guide him to the dark side of the Force.

(I hope that's halfway coherent. I'm writing this too late at night. If it's not---ask me again in the morning, and I'll either be able to clarify my point or I'll just confuse myself. laugh.gif)

No, I totally see what you mean.

I do know that rebooted Murdoc says that a lot of the people he kills deserve to die the way they do, and that the world is better off without them. I wonder if original Murdoc thinks the same way. He never says how his parents died, but sometimes I wonder how it would have been if they had been murdered. Maybe he hopes that as he kills all the people he was hired to kill, he might eventually get to the one/ones who ruined his life.

PM                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 23 December 2017 - 07:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 23 December 2017 - 12:31 PM)
No, I totally see what you mean.

I do know that rebooted Murdoc says that a lot of the people he kills deserve to die the way they do, and that the world is better off without them. I wonder if original Murdoc thinks the same way. He never says how his parents died, but sometimes I wonder how it would have been if they had been murdered. Maybe he hopes that as he kills all the people he was hired to kill, he might eventually get to the one/ones who ruined his life.

That entire conversation with Reboot Murdoc was my favorite moment of the entire new series so far. Even though his worldview is perhaps a bit twisted, you can certainly see the logic behind his arguments, and he did make a very good point. I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility that the original Murdoc thinks that way as well, and I think that your theory is a very good possibility. I wouldn't at all be surprised if that were true, honestly.

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dragondog
Posted: 25 December 2017 - 07:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Another thing to consider is that Murdoc not only lacked good people in his life, but was influenced by bad people. Of course, Murdoc's still responsible for his own bad choices, but he might not have made them under different circumstances.

Say Murdoc's parents died when he was 16 or so, and Ashton was still a baby, forcing him to scramble to help them both survive. He may have dropped her at a doorstep of a foster home, and ran away, having no idea where to go or who to turn to. If Nicolas found him at this point, and Murdoc was feeling helpless, scared, and alone, Nicolas knew just how to manipulate him, and Murdoc didn't think he had other options. Eventually, he may have lost sight of his own morals, and Penny Parker reminded him of what he used to be.

Kinda funny, how this was just a discussion of Penny and Murdoc's relationship, but escalated into this full-blown back story thing laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
Sanguine
Posted: 25 December 2017 - 08:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Dragondog @ 25 December 2017 - 10:01 PM)
Another thing to consider is that Murdoc not only lacked good people in his life, but was influenced by bad people. Of course, Murdoc's still responsible for his own bad choices, but he might not have made them under different circumstances.

Say Murdoc's parents died when he was 16 or so, and Ashton was still a baby, forcing him to scramble to help them both survive. He may have dropped her at a doorstep of a foster home, and ran away, having no idea where to go or who to turn to. If Nicolas found him at this point, and Murdoc was feeling helpless, scared, and alone, Nicolas knew just how to manipulate him, and Murdoc didn't think he had other options. Eventually, he may have lost sight of his own morals, and Penny Parker reminded him of what he used to be.

Kinda funny, how this was just a discussion of Penny and Murdoc's relationship, but escalated into this full-blown back story thing laugh.gif

Kinda funny that you should mention all of this, because I actually completely agree with you. I even wrote an entire short story on this premise, and it's actually very similar to the points you just brought up. I hadn't gotten around to posting it yet because I was waiting until after the holidays, but it seems like great minds think alike! biggrin.gif

Yeah, the discussion sort of spiraled, but I love that. Everything is connected to everything else. happy.gif

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll