Help Needed, Help me Macfans!!! You're my only hope!!
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Issus
Posted: 13 February 2014 - 12:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The escape
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Apartment

So, I know I havent posted in the forum in a long time, (but I still visited whenever I could) The reason for this is that I'm nearly at the end of my college years, and it has benn one bumply ride.

So, this been the final year, we students must make a final job, in which we are assigned a 15 Km square area, at randon, and we must use all our skills to generate a report.

In my case, I got sent to the middle of nowhere, but It's a great place to study hidrology (and that is what my report is focussed on). The only Little problema is that the are no wells... not one, not even to water the local cattle.

Many people would ask for a change, but not me...I have to plow on. I can still do it, no problema, it's just a bit harder (Which in turn means greater scores)

So, What am I rattling on about?? I was asking for help! And I am!

In order to study the underground water resorces, I turned to geophysics, specifically Resistivity Methods. For those who wonder, this consist in essecially sending an electric current into the ground, and messuring the resistivity of rocks. It's pretty neat, cheap, and usefull.

However, today the equipment for such Jobs is mighty expensive, and I thought, "Hey, I'll just Build my own machine" And so I dug out to old books from the library which contained almost all the info I needed.

SO, to cuild this contraption, I need:

Power source: Batteries, ranging from 45 to 90 V, using d.c current.

Milliameter: a range from 5 to 500 mA should do the job, but I would like it to "Shunt", to give me a bit of extra messuring habilities.

Voltimeter: need one with high input impedance (1 Megaohm or better) with a range of 10 mV to 20 V

To cap it all off, a rheostat, for different voltaje outputs.

Then comes the extra equipment, electrodes and reels of wire. This I already have.

I know what everything is, and how it works, but I really dont know how to put it toghether. I've tried a couple of electronic hardware stores, but either they dont know how to build it, or they tell me I need to give the an exact list of what I want.

Can someone help? Apaart from what I listed, what else do I need, and how do I build a rheostat (apparently, nobody sells them anymore)??

I'm really stuck here, and I dont want to give up, but I do have to turn this job in by June, and it's a large area to study.

I'm adding a graphycall description of what it all looks like, plus a photo.

Help me MacFans!! My sanity is at stake!! (not to mention my future, but no pressure tongue.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

In my oppinion, Graham Bell has a lot to answer for. It gets harder and harder to escape from the world, the news and worst of all, people.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 13 February 2014 - 12:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

This is what it looks like, back in the 70's and 80's

Attached Image
Attached Image

In my oppinion, Graham Bell has a lot to answer for. It gets harder and harder to escape from the world, the news and worst of all, people.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 13 February 2014 - 01:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
House:  House boat

well that's beyond my skills, but have you tried doing a google search on "build your own rheostat" ?

It gives a few links which look like they may be useful unsure.gif

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 14 February 2014 - 02:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Yes, I looked up homemade theostats, ranging from pencils to those found in lighting systems...

I've digging around a bit more, I've found a list of specifics that the voltimeter and miliameter must have, and I believe that it allows to get rid of the rheostat. However the problem remains, with no diagram I have no way of how to build it...I can't even find books on the subject!

Anyhow, I hope that what I say next helps clear up what I'm actually after:

Voltimeter:

11 messuring scales, ranging from 1mV to 100 V
Minimun precision of 0.1 mV
Impedance of 10^-5 m*Ohm
compensation mechanism from 0 mV to 300 mV

Miliameter:

5 messuring ranges from 30 mA to 3000mA
Exit tension selector of 400 V

Most of this I understand what it's used for in the field...but no idea on how to actually build it...

Worst comes to worst, I have to quit this job, go find another (It would annoy me, but at least I'd be able to get some sleep!!)

Cheers for any help you can give!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 16 February 2014 - 10:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Sorry mate. Can't help you there. I did however doa Google search and found several sites pertaining to making your own one even at an affordable cost.

I cannot be certain for sure whether these might be of assistance but try one. Maybe, you might be lucky.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Issus
Posted: 5 March 2014 - 02:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

What sites?? I only found 1, it was from ¿oxford?maybe... They built from bits and bobs you could find in any hardware store. The priciple is sound, but the uses you can get from it are limited by the power source.

Thanks for the info!!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 5 March 2014 - 04:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Anytime, Mate. Let us know if you come right. macsak.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll