Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

The world needs MacGyver according to its creator Lee David Zlotoff. In an interview given earlier this year he said “I am convinced that, given the current pressures on national and global resources—like food, water, energy, etc.—certainly this country, if not the world– needs a hero like MacGyver now.”

The interview covered many aspects of MacGyver from how the character was conceived, through to how Zlotoff came to own the movie rights and on to revealing new details about the plot of the upcoming movie which he hopes to be in production next year. “The current story we’re working on is how MacGyver came to be MacGyver.” Zlotoff said. ” What we call a creation story, but contemporary. It’s as if there has never been such a character. What you might call rebooting the character. Kind of like they did with Spiderman and Batman.” He went on to say that the new MacGyver will be just as familiar with today’s technology as the old MacGyver was with the technology of his day. He also said that he is hopeful that RDA will agree to do a cameo appearance in the movie, but stressed that this was still is discussions.

Read the full interview here

macsak.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted: 14 December 2011 - 12:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

After years of rumours and speculations there is at last a piece of concrete information on the production of a MacGyver movie!! Given the success of RDA it's hard to find a suitable actor portraying Mac but I am really looking forward to it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 14 December 2011 - 01:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Yep, it's good to finally here it "from the horses mouth".

Lee made a good point about Toby McGuire in Spiderman. And there does seem to be a trend of some sort towards casting relatively unknown actors in big movie roles these days.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Mac Jackson
Posted: 15 December 2011 - 06:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Aaaaaaaand my last hope is gone. as We've said before: RDA is what made MacGyver who he is. If they are trying to revamp it then there will only be a shell of what they started with before RDA was hired. The only thing I will feel is a sadness and desire to watch my episodes. So sad:(

Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 15 December 2011 - 11:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

Again I was thinking about this lately. And again as I've said so many times before my main choice would still be Josh Holloway (Sawyer from Lost). Though not as tall as RDA I think and the wrong eye color. He'd be my choice but he could get the right haircut for it.

It's either him or Dennis Leary. Though Dennis Leary must be in his early fifties. But if you have seen the series Rescue Me or the movie Judgment Night, he might be up for it. He's already got the right haircut for it and in Rescue Me it appeared he also loves ice hockey.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 15 December 2011 - 01:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I still think it would be cool if they could get RDA to bookend the movie-- He could play an old MacGyver, in the middle of his own adventure, and then the movie flashes back to show us how he became the man he is, so we watch a younger Mac for most of the movie, and at the end, it flashes forward again to RDA as old Mac, finishing up his current adventure. I can totally understand not wanting to use RDA for most of the movie, but I think this would be a good compromise to satisfy the old fans while also bringing in a younger audience and rebooting the series.

As for who should play the younger Mac... I don't know. Josh Holloway is an interesting suggestion, but only if he can get rid of the southern accent. He does have the right appearance for the part. (man, that would be weird-- seeing a character from one of my favorite adulthood shows, portraying the character from my favorite childhood show!) But I think Josh is too old-- didn't they say they wanted somebody in their twenties? Maybe Justin Beiber? (kidding!!!)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 15 December 2011 - 04:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Remember though that this is going to be a reboot to bring MacGyver into the current time frame. I don't think 80's style hair cuts and clothing will work for that.

This is about taking the essence of MacGyver and bringing it into the here and now just like they did with Spiderman and Batman Begins.

You can't make a movie for today with the character stuck in the 80's. Well, you can, but it'll end up like the Starsky and Hutch movie and I don't think any of us want MacGyver going down that rout.

PM                                                                     
Posted: 15 December 2011 - 07:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Legend of the Holy Rose

I have a hard time imagining MacGyver being played by a different actor, but I think the fact that the original creator is involved will make sure that the movie will stick to the original rules and values of the show, unlike the new Star Trek movie for example.
One thing that many people may find unimportant; but I hope that they will ask Dennis McCarthy to compose the music for the movie, this would help the movie to keep the show's original feel, I really loved the themes he developed for the series and the dramatic feel / tension he was able to create with his music, more so than Harrison or Edelman.

This post has been edited by dfrolik on 15 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 17 December 2011 - 04:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Mac Jackson @ 16 December 2011 - 03:59 AM)
Aaaaaaaand my last hope is gone. as We've said before: RDA is what made MacGyver who he is. If they are trying to revamp it then there will only be a shell of what they started with before RDA was hired. The only thing I will feel is a sadness and desire to watch my episodes. So sad:(

I have to disagree with that.

Yes RDA helped to build the character, but as we've seen by comparing the series to the 2 TV movies, one RDA does not a MacGyver make. The movies had RDA in them and yet Trail to Doomsday had no resemblance to MacGyver at all. Even Atlantis struggles to keep the MacGyver feel to it.

The other thing to remember is this movie is about how the young MacGyver got to be the older RDA MacGyver. So of coarse he will have a different personality to begin with, but what teen/young adult doesn't? Personality, mannerisms, etc are things we learn and pick up as we grow and mature, and it sounds like this movie will take us on that journey of growth with MacGyver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also have to say that with all the whinging and whining we hear about the amount of violence and sex on TV and in movies these days and how it's degenerating our society, I would have thought more people would have been pleased to see the return of a character which promotes the values which so many of us complain are missing in today's world instead of immediately assigning to the fail bin.

I just don't get it.

PM                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 19 December 2011 - 08:11 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode: . . . Holy Rose

I like the idea of having RDA bookend the movie, much like George Hall bookended the episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. As Miasma said, it would please older fans of MacGyver while introducing a younger generation to the world of sak.gif, duct.gif, clip.JPG and mullets. ohmy.gif)

So long as MacGyver, at the age he is now, is not played by a different actor that will be okay with me. RDA is MacGyver just like Tom Selleck is Magnum P.I. and Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. There are certain characters that can not and should not be played by any actor other than the actor who originated the role.

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
WhatMeWorry?
Posted: 24 December 2011 - 12:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Easy Target

I can remember a few years back when it was first announced that Lee David Zlotoff had the rights to make the MacGyver film, I was extremely excited and relieved that someone connected to the show had power over the film.

But now I strongly feel that Lee David Zlotoff is just exploiting MacGyver for commercial gain. After the pilot episode he was not involved with the show at all. He has seen how Hollywood has butchered remakes and reboots to make a few extra bucks, and now he wants in.

I understand how Batman, Superman, and Spiderman can be rebooted, they are comic-book, fantasy-based superheros with superpowers. But Mac is Mac, he is not a comic-book superhero or "reboot-able". I am not looking forward to this movie.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 24 December 2011 - 02:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (WhatMeWorry? @ 25 December 2011 - 09:09 AM)
But now I strongly feel that Lee David Zlotoff is just exploiting MacGyver for commercial gain. After the pilot episode he was not involved with the show at all. He has seen how Hollywood has butchered remakes and reboots to make a few extra bucks, and now he wants in.

I can absolutely assure you that Lee is not doing this for money!

He has an absolute passion for the MacGyver character and is commuted to maintaining the integrity of the character which is why most of the people involved in the project are MacGyver fans.

PM                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 24 December 2011 - 11:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

QUOTE (WhatMeWorry? @ 25 December 2011 - 08:09 AM)
I can remember a few years back when it was first announced that Lee David Zlotoff had the rights to make the MacGyver film, I was extremely excited and relieved that someone connected to the show had power over the film.

I understand how Batman, Superman, and Spiderman can be rebooted, they are comic-book, fantasy-based superheros with superpowers. But Mac is Mac, he is not a comic-book superhero or "reboot-able". I am not looking forward to this movie.

I kinda agree with you. I just think Mac should be left alone. He's in the past. Bringing him into the future, hoping to win him new fans isn't going to work. Who will go see the MacGyver movie? MacGyver fans - namely, the die hards.

MacGyver was cool in the 80's and 90's and I think that is where he should stay.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 25 December 2011 - 02:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Why wont it work? What is it about MacGyver that wont work today?

Who will go see the MacGyver movie? MacGyver fans - namely, the die hards.
Who would go to see yet another movie about the Titanic sinking? - Millions did. Who would go to see a movie based on that old outdated Mission Impossible show? - Enough people to warrant 2 sequels. A lot of a movies success depends on it's hype and I think that considering MacGyver is referenced almost daily be a myriad of media sources, this movie will have it's fair share of hype.

If you think about it, most movies don't have any fans to start with because they are one off stories which no-one knows anything about until they watch the the trailer or read a review. Yet people still go to see it. MacGyver already has a big fan-base plus is well known around the world.

PM                                                                     
Bushwalker
  Posted: 26 December 2011 - 08:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Trekker

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
House:  Second Loft

smile.gif I believe there will be a much wider audience than just the "die hard" MacGyver fans and followers out there who will go to such a movie ~ the potential audience could include:

Anyone in general who likes good adventure films;
The Indiana Jones/Romancing the Stone/National Treasure fans;
Many of the James Bond and Bourne followers;
Those who appreciate current TV shows like NCIS, CSI, Burn Notice, Undercover;
As well as fans of older shows like Relic Hunter, Knight Rider, The Six Million Dollar Man, The A-Team, The Man From U.N.C.L.E, The Avengers and The Baron...

~ and so the list of possibilities goes on and on.. tongue.gif

Those dyed-in-the-wool "hard core" MacGyver fans who want to "own" the Mac' that they love and adore and keep him in his 1980's image - don't have to either read the comics or watch the upcoming movie - they can stick to watching their re-runs over and over..

Some people once upon a time didn't believe that a studio could ever make "The Lord of the Rings" or "The Hobbit", either..

And long before that, some even believed the world to be flat. boxing.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac Jackson
Posted: 26 December 2011 - 09:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Whoa! Hold up. That's insulting and hostal to others who have a different opinion than you. Plus your missing the point of the problem at hand.
It isn't that people have a problem with a new MacGyver movie. The idea of a hero like MacGyver is eternally appealing and always wanted. However, I dispise the compairisons to Spiderman or Batman since they are comic characters subject to a writers revamp and then wiped clean and accepted but readers as ever changing (to a degree). The problem with doing a "Revamp" of him is where the problem lies. It wasn't the outline/general idea of what makes MacGyver special. It is what RDA did in that role that made him a legend. The moment he added his likes/dislikes, humor,backstory, etc. it became a solidified definition of MacGyver. No matter how much you try to bring back or "reimage" the character in a comic or movie (I will be getting both btw) without RDA you are already falling short of what made him so special. No matter how great they do with movie and book it will lack without RDA and we must all must accept.

Mac Jackson
youtube.com/macwjack

KiwiTek
Posted: 26 December 2011 - 01:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

It wasn't the outline/general idea of what makes MacGyver special. It is what RDA did in that role that made him a legend.

Yet the only aspect of MacGyver which has become iconic is the MacGyverisms. Your average Joe Bloggs doesn't know or remember who played him, what his sense of humor was like or any of the other little things which are being presented as argument against a re-birth of the character. All they remember is MacGyver was that guy that made stuff out of junk and outwitted his opponents with it.

No matter how great they do with movie and book it will lack without RDA and we must all must accept.

Your saying that because your more of an RDA fan than a MacGyver fan. I understand that RDA "built" the character, but I can't for the life of me see how that means he's the only person who can play the character.

Many people said Chris Reeves can never be replaced as Superman, but many of those same people liked Superman Returns, even though it had a different actor, they maintained the essence of the Chris Reeves incarnation. So I don't see any reason why that can't happen with MacGyver.

I continue to be really disappointing with the general negative response I'm seeing throughout the MacGyver fan community. It appears that the majority of so-called MacGyver fans are actually RDA fans more than they are MacGyver fans and they will willingly sacrifice any hope of seeing a successful return of the MacGyver character over RDA reprising the role.

PM                                                                     
Posted: 26 December 2011 - 11:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I'm afraid this movie will ruin the memory we all have of the show and character. This is a different show (not Batman or Charlie's Angels), it cannot be made new.

The new actor won't be as good as RDA, because it takes the right look in the eyes for some scenes, physical training for other scenes, it's not an easy character to play. They won't find another one as good as him and also not full of himself.

I hope RDA won't accept to appear on it because after all the efforts he made to create the character's image, now they are trying to replace him like an old shoe. It's not fair.

MacGyverGod
Posted: 27 December 2011 - 05:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

As for who should play the younger Mac... I don't know. Josh Holloway is an interesting suggestion, but only if he can get rid of the southern accent. He does have the right appearance for the part. (man, that would be weird-- seeing a character from one of my favorite adulthood shows, portraying the character from my favorite childhood show!) But I think Josh is too old-- didn't they say they wanted somebody in their twenties?

Not that I can remember they wanted a twenty-something someone. I think Josh Holloway must be RDA's age early season 5 or something. When Sawyer was held captive in the cages around season 3 of Lost they once asked his age. He said 25 but Linus set him straight already knowing his true age 35. Could've been Holloway's actual age at the time. We're approximately 3 to 4 years later. He must be late thirties.

Maybe Justin Beiber? (kidding!!!)

Then I'll make sure he'll never taste the fruits of life!

Remember though that this is going to be a reboot to bring MacGyver into the current time frame. I don't think 80's style hair cuts and clothing will work for that.

I think it will. The 80's style still have left their marks on todays fashion. Alright maybe with exception of the collarless shirts. I don't think a jeans or sweater differs that much from now and than.

And I think that are many hairstyles that could be compared with then hairstyles. Okay long hair doesn't necessarily mean it's a mullet. MacGyver was to me more a guy with long hair than a mullet. Look at Hugh Jackman in most of his movies.

Or also Lost actor Henry Ian Cusick.

user posted image

Why I think Denis Leary would be a good choice.

user posted image

user posted image

And why Josh Holloway would be first choice.

user posted image

user posted image

Alright. I admit, maybe it needs some work.

You can't make a movie for today with the character stuck in the 80's.

Not if you set the movies in the 80's like there are movies set in 30's or 40's.

I have a hard time imagining MacGyver being played by a different actor

To be honest about having another actor to play MacGyver is something I've come to terms with especially after I saw his recent pictures here when he had car problems. If he's up for it, he has my blessing for sure but I don't think so.

One thing that many people may find unimportant; but I hope that they will ask Dennis McCarthy to compose the music for the movie, this would help the movie to keep the show's original feel, I really loved the themes he developed for the series and the dramatic feel / tension he was able to create with his music, more so than Harrison or Edelman.

Not really. Don't forget it was Randy Edelman who invented the themes. I'd go directly to them to ask one of them three. Though my choice would be Ken Harrison. Or maybe William Ross he did some episodes of season 6 like Lesson in Evil and Trail of Tears.

When it comes to big movie composers my choices would be James Newton Howard or John Williams or Alan Silvestri. The first track of Batman Begins always reminds me of a MacGyverism also the track Setting up the trap from Home Alone by John Williams sounds like a MacGyverism scene. And Alan Silvestri, well he made a good score for The A-Team, I wouldn't be surprised if he would be asked to do the music more often for movies of 80's shows.

And in case the big dream might come true. Probably not but if JJ Abrams would direct it would probably be Lost-composer Michael Giacchino. After all it was them who brought back and made succesfull movies if not sequels of Mission Impossible and Star Trek. Both Paramount series.

Probably to make sure MacGyver doesn't go that way.

I kinda agree with you. I just think Mac should be left alone. He's in the past. Bringing him into the future, hoping to win him new fans isn't going to work. Who will go see the MacGyver movie? MacGyver fans - namely, the die hards.

MacGyver was cool in the 80's and 90's and I think that is where he should stay.

The world still needs MacGyver.

I understand that RDA "built" the character, but I can't for the life of me see how that means he's the only person who can play the character.

Many people said Chris Reeves can never be replaced as Superman, but many of those same people liked Superman Returns, even though it had a different actor, they maintained the essence of the Chris Reeves incarnation. So I don't see any reason why that can't happen with MacGyver.

I can understand this. But the ones who were first will always be remembered as that character.

Just a question: Who's the real and only James Bond? Sean Connery? Roger Moore? Pierce Brosnan? Daniel Craig? Or the more forgetable ones like Timothy Dalton?

I'm afraid this movie will ruin the memory we all have of the show and character. This is a different show (not Batman or Charlie's Angels), it cannot be made new.

Yes it can but it just need the right approach. That's why I'm glad Lee is on board. Too be honest since a lot of shows are being remade I wouldn't be surprised if Mac gets his remake on tv as well. It's as usual a far away dream and probably because I compare the world events with those of the past. And I said before: the world still needs MacGyver.

The new actor won't be as good as RDA, because it takes the right look in the eyes for some scenes, physical training for other scenes, it's not an easy character to play. They won't find another one as good as him and also not full of himself.

Did you ever see Josh Holloway's angry look? It's a good look for being angry but also being concentrated. Look at Mac when he's isolating the wires in Stricktly Business.

And for the role's preparation you can send your actor to the gym. Harrison Ford also went to the fitness for The Temple of Doom.

Besides if I was director I would tell my lead actor to watch the whole show and study the character and take notes.

Just a little something I came up with. Can't remember if there was a script written or not but now with the upcoming comic, you think there might be a chance that if it's succesfull they might make a Mac-movie about it?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 27 December 2011 - 01:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Guys, we need to remember that this movie is about how MacGyver became MacGyver, which I presume means the lead actor will need to be early 20's and maybe even younger.

Here's something else to consider... of all the remakes and movies based on TV shows which are being used here as arguments against a MacGyver movie; I don't think a single one of them had the original creator involved.

And in case the big dream might come true. Probably not but if JJ Abrams would direct it
He makes the wrong kind of movie, plus he's already proven he can't do remakes. He completed trashed Star Trek. I think Lee will be looking to get someone who knows MacGyver to direct it if he can.

Just a little something I came up with. Can't remember if there was a script written or not but now with the upcoming comic, you think there might be a chance that if it's successful they might make a Mac-movie about it?
That will be entirely up to Lee Zlotoff as he owns the rights. I must say though, the storyline for the comic does sound like it would make a good action/adventure movie.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 28 December 2011 - 04:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I don't think they would take a minor to play a role like that.

Well, Star Trek blew me away but of course I'm not that familiar with the old Star Trek but for me it was a good start.

Here's something else to consider... of all the remakes and movies based on TV shows which are being used here as arguments against a MacGyver movie; I don't think a single one of them had the original creator involved.

As matter of fact there is. Stephen J. Cannell produced The A-Team movie. For as far I know, he's the only one.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 28 December 2011 - 08:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Oh and the Miami Vice movie was written, directed and produced by Michael Mann who produced the TV show as well. So that's two.

I haven't seen Miami Vice but I think the A-Team was a pretty good update and stayed true to the show.

So we can start to see a trend where movies which have involvement from the original producers or other influential members of the crew stay true to the show, while those movies which don't make a hash of it. Makes sense really.

PM                                                                     
Mac Jackson
Posted: 29 December 2011 - 07:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

It wasn't the outline/general idea of what makes MacGyver special. It is what RDA did in that role that made him a legend.

Yet the only aspect of MacGyver which has become iconic is the MacGyverisms. Your average Joe Bloggs doesn't know or remember who played him, what his sense of humor was like or any of the other little things which are being presented as argument against a re-birth of the character. All they remember is MacGyver was that guy that made stuff out of junk and outwitted his opponents with it.

I stongly disagree. To test that I've asked around and most people either call RDA by name or have said the guy from Stargate. The way that this is being done is under the assumption( or would rather) that you can break down who MacGyver is by just the MacGyverisms. It's disrespectful and gimicky to only focus on that.

No matter how great they do with movie and book it will lack without RDA and we must all must accept that.

Your saying that because your more of an RDA fan than a MacGyver fan. I understand that RDA "built" the character, but I can't for the life of me see how that means he's the only person who can play the character.

No, not at all. I love both equally. They are not exclusive. RDA made MacGyver more than the cookie cutter definition you're talking about. It was MacGyver who made me invest the time to see how close the actor is to the character and other than the MacGyverisms and adventures they are mostly the same. At least in the personallity areas. I'm all for a MacGyver movie as long as I come to peace with the fact that the heart,personality, etc. that RDA created won't be there. At best we'll have an exciting, fast paced entertaining movie. Will it influence my life for the better the way the show did? Probably not.

One, Superman came from a comic (and therefore was always accepted as a fluid property) that never had a concreate image/face before Reeve.
Two, Even the Routh did an excellent job in the Returns movie, he was imitating Reeve witch made the public miss Reeve even more.

If, say someone goes the complete opposite way and makes him nothing like RDA, then they are doomed as well. It's a no win situation.

I continue to be really disappointing with the general negative response I'm seeing throughout the MacGyver fan community. It appears that the majority of so-called MacGyver fans are actually RDA fans more than they are MacGyver fans and they will willingly sacrifice any hope of seeing a successful return of the MacGyver character over RDA reprising the role.

Other then you thinking RDA/MacGyver fans are separate and exclusive I must agree with your last statement. When you hold something so dear and precious as we do of MacGyver and we see the iceburg ahead we feel compelled to yell out and warn others. Unless they were going to continue from the TV show story line focusing on RDA or MacGyvers son SAM, then it will have various degrees of lacking. So instead of tarnishing a great property I know I'd rather it not be made at all. I vlogged about that very point. I'll support any and all MacGyver related stuff but I/we need to accept where it will be different and lack.

Mac Jackson
youtube.com/macwjack

Bushwalker
  Posted: 1 January 2012 - 03:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Trekker

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
House:  Second Loft

QUOTE (Mac Jackson @ 27 December 2011 - 04:09 AM)
.........................................................................................
The idea of a hero like MacGyver is eternally appealing and always wanted. However, I dispise the compairisons to Spiderman or Batman since they are comic characters subject to a writers revamp and then wiped clean and accepted but readers as ever changing (to a degree).............................

.........................................................................................

wink.gif

I didn't mention any superheroes or comic book characters in my post above, because I could see the strong probability of that very argument/point of view cropping up in this discussion..

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 1 January 2012 - 04:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

The idea of a hero like MacGyver is eternally appealing and always wanted

And yet you still argue that we should never bring back MacGyver unless RDA plays the role?

You just said a hero like MacGyver is always wanted. Lee Zlotoff believes it's not only wanted but needed. He's saying we need a hero who's realistic, who thinks first and outwits the situation rather than out shoots it. A hero who can be a role model for today and tomorrows generations.

PM                                                                     
Mac Jackson
Posted: 1 January 2012 - 09:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

Right but once it's been done to such wonderful, personal, unique level due to the actors contribution anything less will be...less. Like I said before: That type of hero is wanted and desired but if your not continuing the story with the actor(in this case) who made him stand out more than a gimick hero then all we'll be left with is a, at best, a great movie about a gimick hero. The sould will be missing. I've already accepted it and plan to enjoy it as much as anyone can but be prepaired to miss the personal that RDA brought to it.

Mac Jackson
youtube.com/macwjack

Posted: 1 January 2012 - 07:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Legend of the Holy Rose

Not really. Don't forget it was Randy Edelman who invented the themes. I'd go directly to them to ask one of them three. Though my choice would be Ken Harrison. Or maybe William Ross he did some episodes of season 6 like Lesson in Evil and Trail of Tears.

When it comes to big movie composers my choices would be James Newton Howard or John Williams or Alan Silvestri. The first track of Batman Begins always reminds me of a MacGyverism also the track Setting up the trap from Home Alone by John Williams sounds like a MacGyverism scene. And Alan Silvestri, well he made a good score for The A-Team, I wouldn't be surprised if he would be asked to do the music more often for movies of 80's shows.

I agree that William Ross would be a fantastic choice as well, Lesson in Evil and The Wasteland comes to mind. I know Edelman invented the actual theme but he didn't do much exciting after that, McCarthy's music was much more effective in my opinion. As far as Ken Harrison is concerned, I do enjoy his music but he quit composing many years ago, I doubt that he would come back for this. After McCarthy my first choice would be Ross, further possibilities other than the ones you mentioned would in my opinion be Don Davis and John Debney.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Posted: 7 January 2012 - 01:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Why not Bear Grylls for playing Mac Gyver ?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 7 January 2012 - 02:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (cvays @ 8 January 2012 - 10:15 AM)
Why not Bear Grylls for playing Mac Gyver ?

Yeah that would be awesome! w00t.gif

Bear is like a real life MacGyver. And as a bit of a side note, he mentioned MacGyver was one of his fav shows when he was a kid.

macsak.gif

PM                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 11 January 2012 - 12:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Well, not having RDA might end up being a detriment to the film, but at least we can probably assume that the supporting cast will be better in the movie than it was in the TV show because, let's be honest, there were some REALLY bad actors in the show!

I wonder what sort of cinematography the movie will have. I really hope they don't try too hard to over-stylize it. I don't want lots of fancy zooms, or constant quick panning (I couldn't stand watching the remake of "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" for that reason.) I hope they keep the camera work relatively simple.

Speaking of TV to Movie conversions-- I just read that the "24" movie is set to start filming this Spring! I have higher hopes for that than I do for the MacGyver movie.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll