What Would MacGyver Do?, Tell us about your MacGyverisms!
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Mela_007
Posted: 17 February 2013 - 09:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Ha, the phrase "What would MacGyver do?" was uttered by a co-worker of mine just a couple hours ago!! Not sure if he remembered the show and thought of it, or if it was a jab at me...seeing that I have been here on the site a decent amount where he could see the "MacGyver Online" banner. The point is, he said the phrase and he was meaning it.

We have a piece of equipment that was not working that we were trying to "fix". We don't have a replacement part (a new rubber membrane for the pressure sensor), so we tried replacing the old one, but we wanted to make sure water did not get into the repair...it's in underwater unit (think oceanography). Anyway, we looked around the ship for various items (I even checked out the first aid kit) that could help us seal it. We settled on plastic wrap from the galley (kitchen).

As others would say to Mac, "Are you sure that is going to work?"
"Nope"......... unsure.gif

Tune in tomorrow for the answer.....

This post has been edited by Mela_007 on 17 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 18 February 2013 - 11:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep

laugh.gif ohhh the anticipation!

did it work? huh..huh... did it?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacGyverisms
Posted: 18 February 2013 - 02:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Heist
Jacket:  Black leather

Did it work, well, did it?

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 18 February 2013 - 04:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

blush.gif Oh man...you saw the post. lol I figured someone would. Unfortunately my answer is...We still don't know! ARGH! The weather is too rough for us to deploy that piece of gear today. Not too bad, but enough so we cannot use it today. We are still using the standard gears, but that one is larger and more tricky to deploy/retrieve so no luck today. UGH, I was hoping to let you know one way or the other. headbutt.gif

The image that comes to mind is Mac peaking out of the ditch in Humanity waiting for his "muffler rocket" to fire, then ducking and peaking again.

Guess we'll have to wait a little longer, sorry. I hate to tell you it may be a couple days before we try to deploy that one again. unsure.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 19 February 2013 - 10:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

blink.gif Well, it sounds like we will never get to find out if it worked. doh.gif Since it was too rough of weather to use the gear yesterday anyway, we emailed the manufacturer and asked him more about the sensor set-up. Unfortunately the area we were going to seal with the plastic wrap is actually supposed to be filled with brake fluid. We believe the brake fluid would eat through the plastic wrap and make things worse. Since the rubber gasket is compromised we won't be able to use the equipment the rest of this trip. Pretty bummed!

Sorry, next time I guess I'll have to tell you all about it after the fact...when I know whether it worked or not. sad.gif blush.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 9 May 2013 - 03:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Here's a quick and easy flytrap I've just finished making tonight. I can't claim credit for this one as the idea has been around for years.

Basically these are made from an old soda drink bottle and work in much the same way as a child's Bait Catch for fish.

1. Cut the top off an olde soda bottle
2. Place bait into the bottom of the bottle
3. Invert bottle top and place into the bottle
4. secure inverted bottle top in place. (easiest way is with a couple of small binder clips)

user posted image
Image source: www.waldeneffect.org

There is however one downside to these traps that you need to be aware of. As the "bait" in these traps turns rotten the smell becomes very strong. So they really aren't that suitable for inside the house.

PM                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 17 May 2013 - 11:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages, Nightmares

My dad, MacGyver. XD We've been searching the house all morning from top to bottom for the wooden pegs to put mine and my younger sister's bunk bed together. Finally our dad got a brilliant idea. X3 We tried seeing if we had any wood dowels that might fit but they were too big. So taking an already MacGyver-ized broom, a saw andsome duct tape, we have pegs xD.

(Btw, the broom had broken before and was being braced by wood strips and , of course, duct tape.)

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 13 June 2013 - 05:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

We went for a drive out in the country and we stopped for a while. We had two of the dogs with us like always, but Sherlock didn't have a collar on and we had no leashes. Murdoch has sever seperation anxiety so there was no way on earth he'd be leaving my sister.
Sherlock has good recall but we didn't want to chance letting him walk loose, even though the area was deserted.
Sooo....I used my adjustable purse handle to fashion a collar and leash for the little bugger. macsak.gif

"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Daisy8577
Posted: 14 June 2013 - 03:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Passages

Nice, very creative.

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 6 August 2013 - 08:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I have an old Haddon home sweet home clock with the old lady that sits in the rocking chair and rocks back and forth. My old lady didn't rock anymore because I used the mechanism from mine to fix my mothers who wasn't rocking. One day I was bored and used an electric computer fan to make an old lady rock back and forth. I wired it up to a potentiometer so I could control her speed.

Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Rocket
Posted: 11 September 2013 - 11:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

Please feel free to move this into Mac's kitchen if you think it fits better there smile.gif

I am making jam. Bramble jelly, to be precise.
I have never owned any proper jelly bags, and humbly submit this MacGyverism for your perusal:

You can make perfectly good jelly bags for straining the fruit using squares of (washed) net curtain, tied up at the corners with shoelaces. Hang them off the kitchen cupboard door handles to drip juice into bowls placed on the counter underneath. Leave them there for 24hrs or so, then collect the juice and either make a pie with the spent fruit or (if it's a bit... exhausted), recycle it as compost.

Works really well, except my husband insists on referring to my (red fruit) jam mking equipment as 'hanging bags of roadkill'! roller.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 13 September 2013 - 06:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Very ingenious, Rocket! biggrin.gif

-Red Skelton

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Daisy8577
Posted: 13 September 2013 - 02:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Passages

Love the idea. 😆

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Rocket
Posted: 15 September 2013 - 10:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Thank you notworthy.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted: 20 September 2013 - 11:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

My Mum, also a fan, has been MacGyvering a tree this week...

Tree at the corner of the garden gets too big, Mum decides it has to come down. With this in mind, she gathers the following equipment and sets to:

2 bow saws, one with a blade so dull you could ride to London on it without harm
1 chainsaw with a slightly loose chain
1 drum of orange rope with about 9 ends, appropriated from Grimsby docks by my Dad some time in the 1970s
1 extra senior citizen, of a similar frame of mind. Also likes MacGyver, as happens
1 clapped out Fiat van
1 bottle of Jeyes Fluid (ninja disinfectant)
1 bucket with a split in the bottom

I turn up just too late to prevent what follows. It goes like this:
1. Hack a wedge out of the trunk with the chainsaw, using the blunter of the bow saws to assist whenever the chainsaw gets stuck and needs to cool off for a minute.
2. Because the chainsaw is now proper stuck, use the better bow saw to cut a wedge in the other side of the tree, a bit higher up. Wrestle the chainsaw free.
3. NOW the extra senior citizen climbs up the tree and attaches the knotted length of rope to some of the branches.
4. Fasten the other end of the rope to the van towbar, get the van going (eventually), sound a battle cry and set off across the field.
5. Against all the odds, there is a sound like the world ending and the tree snaps off exactly as intended. Both senior citizens are surprised as well as pleased. I'm amazed!
6. Pour Jeyes Fluid onto the stump to kill the root and cover with the bucket so the rain can't wash it off.
7. Retire to the kitchen to brew tea and plan the next harebrained scheme...
happy_dance.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 25 September 2013 - 07:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

LMAO! (pun intended)

Attached Image
Attached Image

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
YopeGyver
Posted: 27 September 2013 - 06:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

BWAHAHAHA! roller.gif Kudos to them both, Rocket! biggrin.gif Sounds like when we were helping our dad cut trees in our backyard this spring. X3

-Red Skelton

Art

PMUsers Website                                                                     
Rocket
Posted: 28 September 2013 - 10:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (YopeGyver @ 28 September 2013 - 02:57 AM)
BWAHAHAHA! roller.gif Kudos to them both, Rocket! biggrin.gif

Aye, she's pretty cool, my Mum. She's the kind of person who has best wellies as well as mucky ones!

We've MacGyvered all sorts between us - the water supply for the horse field is cobbled together from 2 odd pieces of guttering, a lot of baler twine, a vacuum cleaner pipe, a funnel, some duct tape, a round rock and a bath...
Works a treat biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
John Litteral
Posted: 6 February 2014 - 10:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Episode:changes often

I did a little MacGyver trick a while back at work. I work maintenance at a school system and it gives me an opportunity to play MacGyver. Hahaha. Anyway, I got a work order from wood shop teacher over a broken off handle to a water sprayer . I searched all hardware stores and nothing would match because it was one of those heavy duty oldy but goody types. So I drilled a hole the same width of a small screwdriver I had and put opoxy on the end of the screwdriver and placed it in the hole. It works great and actually fits right in the shop class environment.

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

Joe SAKic
Posted: 3 April 2014 - 02:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

We had a massive icestorm over the past Christmas holidays and the ice coating was thicker than birthday cake frosting (see image below!) on everything. I had stopped to get gas at the local service station on the morning of December 23rd and upon opening my car door heard the definite & anguished cry of a damsel in distress.

As it turned out, she(d in d) was late for work, about out of gas and couldn't get the door on her gas cap/fill to open because of thick coating of frozen water encapsulating it. I had to act fast on this one and instantly went into MacGyver mode. unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif ...... macsak.gif

And so I opened my trunk and started rooting around. Aha! A bottle of ethylene glycol (otherwise known as windwasher fluid !). I grabbed it, twisted open off the cap, took it over to the lady's car and started splashing it over the frozen door. 'This oughta do it', I said emulating what Mac might have said. 'Yes,What are you doing', She said, slightly worried about her vehicle. 'Oh, nothing but a little windowwasher fluid to achieve freezing-point depression much the way de-icers work on airplane wings.'

Immediately, the solution started to hiss & crack .... but the door would still not open and the liquid was taking it's time, too long a time. Time for aggressive, tried & true guerilla macgyverism tactics. sakopen.gif I felt for my belt and my leather sos pouch around my waist, flipped open the flap and whipped out my cybertool 41.

The small blade will do the trick, I thought, inserted it into a small crack that had formed around the circumference of the door portal, and started to cut and slice the frozen chain away - it was working and so I instructed her to go and pull the fill release lever again - she did and it sprung open!!!!! macsak.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

denizen
Posted: 3 April 2014 - 03:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

biggrin.gif Nice going, Joe! You MacGyver clone, you! smile.gif

Looking at that pic makes me feel even more luckier to be living in South Africa. Snow, in this country, let alone an icestorm is unheard of!

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 3 April 2014 - 04:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Haha, yes warmer climes do have their comfort zone & advantages for sure. But cold weather can really force you to improvise, MacGyver style.

The power also went out a few times in that icestorm. That causes problems with the water pipes - especially at -25c temps where the home can cool off exceptionally fast - what to do? If the pipes freeze, they could break and cause serious water damage to the home.

So you've gotta watch the ambient temperature and if starts to get too low - you'd better bleed the pipes of water before they freeze solid. If they do freeze solid, you've gotta thaw them with various means of focused heat sources and, a big and, leave the taps open a tad so the gases from the de-thawing ice have an ability to escape.

There's also ice damming that can happen on the roof - this occurs when snow melts and then freezes along the edges forming ice that if not dealt with has the strength and the ability to literary lift you roof and cause major leakage. There are ways to deal with it including strategically placed heated wiring, channeling cutting and complete removal of the icy layer. All need constant monitoring and often MacGyver like timely action - if you will. biggrin.gif

denizen
Posted: 3 April 2014 - 05:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Wow! Scary. Well, looks like you're more than capable! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 3 April 2014 - 11:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Nice work!

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 7 April 2014 - 01:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

One thing I've learned from MacGyver and photography - is to simply take a look around before you mentally draw any conclusions on what is doable .... or not.

In photography, I used to see something interesting to photograph, snap it and move on ... with very average results. Nowadays, I'll see something, spend about 10 minutes walking around it and to find the best possible point of view, angle and most favorable lighting position before shooting. Often much better results.

Similar to MacGyver, who you'll always find having a studied look around, scanning the potential useful 'tools' and clearly performing some mental gymnastics in the process. A simple, cognitive step that works.

Mela_007
Posted: 11 April 2014 - 11:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I had to think like MacGyver a second time on that same research cruise last year. We had a fish stuck in the tubing of a piece of gear that we use for much smaller fish. It was clogging the pipes. After taking the gear apart, we still couldn't get our hands down to the fish (think relatively small fish ~3 inches long). I put on my MacGyver thinking cap and tried to think of what we might have onboard the ship to get it out. So, I went to the galley (kitchen) and rummaged around until I found the ship's BBQ stuff. With the long grilling "fork" we were able to skewer the dead fish out and get the system working again! Thanks again for Mac helping me think outside the box!! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Marcin
Posted: 16 May 2014 - 02:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:

Yesterday, I saved my day with MacGyverism :-)

I've decided to mow my lawn, and then after few minutes of mowing, my “ancient” lawnmower lost it’s one wheel. Ok, it happens from time to time, but this time – I couldn't screw it up again. The metal plate with screwed holes in it was permanently damaged. When I started to thinking about ordering new parts, money I’ll have to pay for it (to my “ancient” lawnmower), and time it will take (2 weeks maybe), I've looked on my lawn, holding my hand in my pocket… then my fingers fund my SAK – Spartan :-) and… you know what happened next ;-)

I’ve took my lawnmower to my garage, I've grab some wire, some tools, duct tape, some spare screws, and metal plates. It took me 2 hours because I've realized later that I don’t have dill bit for metalwork (I usually use woodwork once and those for cement and stones) – but I made it :-)
It works, and lawn mowing has been successful. I hope that the way I've repaired the wheel is permanent and is totally MacGyverish, because I’ve used only things I've found in my garage – No shopping involved ;-)

"You can do anything you want to do, if you put your mind to it"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 18 May 2014 - 08:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Well done, Marcin. That's fantastic. Precisely what effect the show seems to have played on all of us!

We all think we're MacGyver. And in a way, we are! If we just sit back and think before we do something, a solution will present itself.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 18 May 2014 - 09:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (denizen @ 19 May 2014 - 04:58 PM)
If we just sit back and think before we do something, a solution will present itself.

Thank you Henry Jones Sr. laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 18 May 2014 - 10:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Aha! I knew I remembered that from somewhere! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (9) « First ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll