Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 25 - twice stung

MacGyver and Thornton devise an elaborate sting operation to get back the life savings of a friend who was swindled by a dangerous con artist.
(First use of the term “MacGyverism)

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 8 November 2006 - 11:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes as of 26th of March 2006
Poor [ 2 ] [18.18%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 1 ] [9.09%]
Good [ 2 ] [18.18%]
Excellent [ 6 ] [54.55%]
Total Votes: 11

Archived comments

QUOTE (sonyab Feb 8 2005 @ 11:20 AM )
This was an excellent excellent episode! I voted Excellent ROFL. This is where we find out that macgyverism is a word from that lady who works at the phoenix foundation.. MacGyver asks: Macgyverism? hehehehe.. Mac helped a friend not to commit suicide.. Mac was very angry you can see it and feel it. That lady who wanted to help them get to the truth couldn't because Mac and Pete wanted her safe so she was upset she couldn't help after awhile..

Love this episode.. 

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Feb 8 2005 @ 11:06 PM )
I voted for poor, because we all know why and how I think about these undercover episodes. 

QUOTE (Thesmophorian Feb 9 2005 @ 09:34 AM )
This is the one! This is the one my favorite MacGyver quote comes from! 

I loved this episode! MacGyver looks  in a fedora.

And he and Pete try and help his buddy who didn't think he's friends would help him and almost killed himself. With MacGyver as your friend? What are you nuts?

Thesmo   

QUOTE (MacGyver Feb 9 2005 @ 05:23 PM )
"Twice Stung" is a great episode and I really do love undercover episodes like this. Of course, you don't want to necessarily do it every episode, unless the name of your show is "Mission: Impossible" :-)

However, I love the sting operation and watching MacGyver and Pete get back at the crooks. It was just funny at the end watching everything come together. MacGyver still had some cool MacGyverisms like rigging the gate at the end. MacGyver helped out his friend and it was cool seeing him get back at that con artist. It was also really appropriate and cool that they did this kind of a "sting" operation, since Dana Elcar was involved in a famous "sting" years earlier.

("The Sting" movie, that is - 1973!)

All in all, another cool episode. 

QUOTE (lemmy357 Feb 10 2005 @ 02:21 PM )
I am not really fond of this episode (gave it an OK). 

QUOTE (Alex-Wylie Feb 14 2005 @ 08:41 PM)

QUOTE (MacGyver @ Feb 9 2005, 06:13 AM)
"Twice Stung" is a great episode and I really do love undercover episodes like this.  Of course, you don't want to necessarily do it every episode, unless the name of your show is "Mission: Impossible" 

However, I love the sting operation and watching MacGyver and Pete get back at the crooks.  It was just funny at the end watching everything come together.  MacGyver still had some cool MacGyverisms like rigging the gate at the end.  MacGyver helped out his friend and it was cool seeing him get back at that con artist.  It was also really appropriate and cool that they did this kind of a "sting" operation, since Dana Elcar was involved in a famous "sting" years earlier.

("The Sting" movie, that is - 1973!) 

All in all, another cool episode. 

Once again I only can say you took the words right out of my mouth. Ít was a really great episode for all that reasons you already discribed so felicitous.
QUOTE (Thesmophorian @ Feb 8 2005, 10:24 PM)

And he and Pete try and help his buddy who didn't think he's friends would help him and almost killed himself. With MacGyver as your friend? What are you nuts?

Thesmo 

'What are you nuts?' Thesmo you're absollutly right! But Kelly didn't want to bother anyone and I know and understand that feeling very well. Rick was really awsome in that scene because you could see that he himself would be upset in real life too.

You don't gooooo to PEOPLE, yooou go to your FRIENDS!!!!

Alex-Wylie

QUOTE (thlayli87 Apr 6 2006 @ 05:12 AM )
I voted poor. It started out ok, in the scene where Mac saves Kelly. The use of the firehose was a memorable Mac'ism.

But I thought the whole sting plan was over-elaborate and silly. I also thought some of the acting was pretty poor, Kelly and the geeky woman especially.

QUOTE (MacsChick Apr 6 2006 @ 02:16 PM )
I didn't think it was too bad. The woman really irritated me--she was like an annoying little kid!  But I do like her reaction to MacGyver's white suit, the way she says, "MacGyver?" with a questioning, disgusted voice! 

They did far too many of these "sting" episodes, though. It's nice that they help the people who were taken advantage of, but I don't think they should've done it more than once. I remember Dana Elcar was in The Sting! We were watching it in my film studies class, and all of the sudden, there he was...Pete! Pretty cool! 

QUOTE (Shiloh Sep 9 2006 @ 05:30 PM )
I really liked this episode.
Loved Pete being more involved in the 'sting'.
It had so many twists & turns, it was great!
But the blonde (Kelly?) was starting to annoy me 
But it was great!!! 

QUOTE (Lothithil Sep 29 2006 @ 10:36 AM )
Good ep!

Loved how Mac talked Pete into the sting! A fun little caper! I liked Mac's pick-pocket routine, too!  He looked outrageous in that white silk suit!

I noticed that he either got his red spotted shirt back from Crowe, or he bought another one! 

QUOTE (Hawki Sep 29 2006 @ 07:35 PM )

I like that ep too. I like his quote ''You don't go to people with your problems. You come to your friends'', it's my favorite one 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Tygr
Posted on 24 April 2007 - 08:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Easy Target
House:  Loft

In the final part of the "sting," it looks like the plan is falling apart because of the sheer pandemonium, but then it all comes together, and you realize that Mac had everything under control from the beginning. Awesome! biggrin.gif

'Tis unwise to wake the Tygr.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." - Psalms 23:4

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 24 April 2007 - 11:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah I like the plot twists in this episode.

I actually think Jenny's chance pulled it off better, but this is still a good episode. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
victorinox
Posted on 17 May 2007 - 08:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:almost all of them

great episode. so many twists and turns.
and unlike most people here, i liked the geeky blonde named joanne. blondes are usually portrayed as dumb. but here is a blonde who wrote a major research paper (i forgot on what). biggrin.gif

"You know, MacGyver, that's why you're so hard to beat. Nobody knows what you're going to do next, including you." --- Murdoc

"His name is MacGyver. He can fix anything. He could fix a computer with a hairpin and a piece of duct tape." --- Pete

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 12 May 2008 - 11:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (victorinox @ 18 May 2007 - 04:57 AM)
and unlike most people here, i liked the geeky blonde named joanne. blondes are usually portrayed as dumb. but here is a blonde who wrote a major research paper (i forgot on what). biggrin.gif

The effects of peroxide on brain cells? laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
androgyny
Posted on 5 June 2008 - 07:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

because i was very entertained throughout this ep, i voted excellent. love hearing "macgyverism" for the first time. love the mac/pete team. love the scene of how angry mac was about the suicide attempt. love mac's outfit at the surprise party and at the police station.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 22 June 2008 - 05:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Jacket:  Black leather

She wrote a research paper I believe on bunko scams---and was helping them research sting operations.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 22 June 2008 - 11:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

huh?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 23 June 2008 - 04:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

Joanne-- Victorinox said that it was unclear in the episode what Joanne did her research paper on--bunko scams

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 23 June 2008 - 03:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

oh

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
annemjj
  Posted on 26 June 2008 - 12:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: None

Favorites
Episode:I don't know

I voted EXCELLENT because, my favorite quote "Macgyverisms" is in it. He also look very good in the white clothes + the fedora, which reminds me of Michael Jackson's music video Smooth Criminal, and I love MJ as much as MacGyver. The whole episode is very good!! Excellent, Excellent!! w00t.gif

<3 Can't live without: Friends, Music, MacGyver, Michael Jackson, Smoke, Iphone <3

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 13 February 2009 - 07:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 13 May 2008 - 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (victorinox @ 18 May 2007 - 04:57 AM)
and unlike most people here, i liked the geeky blonde named joanne. blondes are usually portrayed as dumb. but here is a blonde who wrote a major research paper (i forgot on what).  biggrin.gif

The effects of peroxide on brain cells? laugh.gif

So THAT explains why Mac stopped doing so many scientific MacGyverisms in the later season!!! laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Murdoc12
Posted on 25 March 2009 - 12:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Super Champ

Favorites
Episode:The Assassin & Partners
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Leather Biker

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 25 April 2007 - 07:18 PM)
Yeah I like the plot twists in this episode.

I actually think Jenny's chance pulled it off better, but this is still a good episode. smile.gif

I totally agree with that Rocky. This one was good, but Jenny's Chance was better.

"In this game almost does not count."~Murdoc

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 20 April 2009 - 09:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Loved this one because of the word. MacGyverism

aatgmac
Posted on 20 April 2009 - 12:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Minichamp

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:

Loved this because of Macgyverism and Pete stangling Mac hehe.

-Every Action has an equal and opposite reaction

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Hannibal_Smith
Posted on 25 February 2011 - 11:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Money line from the beginning of the episode:

"I don't like going to people with my problems."
"You don't go to people with your problems. You come see your friends."
"Well you don't always remember that!"
"Yeah. I know."

So true...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 8 April 2011 - 11:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

It was okay. Some of the images looked to be very poor quality though, when Mac and that guy (his friend who got robbed or whatever) were in his house talking I thought there must have been something wrong with the camera because the color looked all wrong, then it cleared up.

I was surprised to see that Mac had a white tank top on under his shirt. Very nice, hehe.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 22 August 2012 - 03:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

This episode has its upsides... and its downsides.

Sometimes, RDA seems to have a problem with anger--on many occasions when he's supposed to be upset over something, it just doesn't convince me. This time, however, he looks genuinely agitated when yelling at Kelly.

Joanne *could* have been an interesting character. I thought her pictures were quite unique, ("I'm always photographing strange things when I'm angry" laugh.gif ) but I just couldn't STAND her attitude. She was supposed to be a professional, but in general, she seemed very immature and represented every common prejudice you could possibly have against women in this line of profession. Ugggh. blink.gif

The MacGyverisms (actually even referred to as "MacGyverisms" in this episode! laugh.gif) were interesting, though, and the box exchange at the police station was high class entertainment. smile.gif

Voting "Good", but could have been an "Excellent" had it not been for Joanne's attitude.

PM                                                                     
GoldenHawk
Posted on 20 November 2012 - 04:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

More of a technical remark, but I especially like the directorial touch at the end with the 360º camera swerve right before MacGyver discards the hat - followed by the iris shot as the episode ends. Incredibly cool stuff!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 20 November 2012 - 06:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I thought this episode was good and I really liked the acting by RDA during the scene with Kelly!! I was annoyed by Joanne too, partly by her attitude and partly by the way she was portrayed. Being in a science field, I appreciate when female characters are not always portrayed as either the dizzy blonde or the glasses wearing nerd. I know times and attitudes were different back then, but they did good in most of the episodes I have seen (I am still catching up, haven't got my dvd set yet). This includes the pilot, where the female scientist is actually extremely sharp and can think on her feet too.

I agree they did a better job with the 'sting' in Jenny's Chance.

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 20 November 2012 - 01:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (NightTinkerer @ 23 August 2012 - 12:44 PM)
Sometimes, RDA seems to have a problem with anger--on many occasions when he's supposed to be upset over something, it just doesn't convince me.

Yes I've noticed that as well. For me it's particularly apparent when he has to raise his voice. I'm thinking of the Final Approach episode where the kids are fighting and he jumps in the middle of them, when I say that, but I know I have noticed it in other episodes to. I think the only really convincing anger scene he did was in the Challenge after Booker is killed and he confronts Larson about it ready to beat him senseless.

The MacGyverisms (actually even referred to as "MacGyverisms" in this episode! laugh.gif)

This is the episode that coined the term. smile.gif It's where it all started. Right there in that scene. smile.gif

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 29 November 2012 - 04:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

I just watched this episode again. I think it has to be one of my favorites. There's just so much fun and humor going on all the time. Very entertaining.

This ones gets an excellent from me.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 8 August 2013 - 09:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

jeep.gif another good episode seeing Mac and Pete in the field this time helping a friend con a con artist. We also learn where the term Macgyverism came from. They were them best in this episode.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
John Litteral
Posted on 28 January 2014 - 06:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Episode:changes often

Joanna was nice looking to say the least! I love Pete's acting real well in this episode, playing the hot-head!

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
kristiina86halonen
Posted on 22 February 2014 - 02:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Humanity

[QUOTE=KiwiTek,21 November 2012 - 09:53 AM] [QUOTE=NightTinkerer,23 August 2012 - 12:44 PM] Sometimes, RDA seems to have a problem with anger--on many occasions when he's supposed to be upset over something, it just doesn't convince me.

[/QUOTE]
Yes I've noticed that as well. For me it's particularly apparent when he has to raise his voice. I'm thinking of the Final Approach episode where the kids are fighting and he jumps in the middle of them, when I say that, but I know I have noticed it in other episodes to. I think the only really convincing anger scene he did was in the Challenge after Booker is killed and he confronts Larson about it ready to beat him senseless.

I don't think, there was any problem for RDA with acting anger. I think it's only part of the character - MacGyver didn't get real angry to anybody, except in Challenge. When I watched this scene in Challenge, my daughter said, "Whoo, MacGyver is SO angry! MacGyver can't be so angry!" So, even the child understood, that there was something wrong, when MacGyver was too angry. I said to her, that this bad guy was rea-a-ally bad, that's why MacGyver's got so angry.

But about this episode: it's not one of my favourites, but I still voted it as Good, 'cause there is one of my favourite scenes - when they are in the office and Pete says, "Listen, I could get my head handed to me for getting into something like this", and Mac stands up and says, "Pete, guy...you're dying to do it, you know it", and the way like RDA hugs Dana and looks at him, there is so much real warmth in this scene, that it don't even seem like acting.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 22 February 2014 - 11:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I think it all depends on what you call being angry. Are you angry out of disappointment or desperation or aggression or out of setting someone straight. I think in this episode he was more like disappointed in Kelly for his suicide attempt. 'You don't go to other peoples with your problems, you come to your friends.'

In The Challenge it was out of aggression. But I would've called that furious. It was a higher level of being angry. 'Why?! Why did you kill him?!'

To me the best scene in which he gets angry is in The Gun with Breeze. I think RDA really nailed that scene. Just how he persuaded Breeze into telling who the killer was. He raised his voice at Breeze like I think he never did before to anyone else, the way he moved his arms when he told him how important it was to know who the killer was so that he could help him and how dangerous that gun was. I just like the way Mac stood there moving his arms and always placing them back on the car. And in the end they shake hands. Great scene.

In Twenty Questions and Jerico Games there are I think more sudden bursts. When Mac tried to explain Lisa's problem to Eric. In the end Mac goes: 'Oh, Eric!' More out of annoying because he wasn't listening.

And in Jerico Games it was more out of shock and because he was lied to. I like it how he had to call Ellen twice when they had to enter the incinerator. 'Ellen. Ellen! You're grudge is against me. Leave Nikolaï out of this.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
kristiina86halonen
Posted on 23 February 2014 - 04:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Humanity

There's a great acting of anger from RDA in Widowmaker, too. Anger from self-accusing, grief and frustration. These scenes at that cabin, first with Pete and then with Nikki, were quite creepy, 'cause you can't recognize MacGyver at all.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 23 February 2014 - 05:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

In Gunz n' boys episode he yelled and sounded very angry when he yelled Brian's name and when he flip out about Brians attitude. blowup.gif

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 16 September 2015 - 02:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I loved this show....it was great to see Pete and Mac working together on a theme that was different than the average. Loved "MacGyverisms" too! biggrin.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll