Format:             Color, Full Screen

Sound:              Dolby Digital, stereo

Presentation:   Loose discs

Extras:               Both made-for-TV movies

Tag Line:           None

All 139 episodes plus the 2 made-for-TV movies

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 22 October 2007 - 02:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I have a rule.

Since I bought the two MacGyver TV movies on Ebad, I assuaged my guilt by promising to purchase the TV movies when they became commercially available. Since I had the means at the time, I went ahead and ordered the new complete DVD collection.

As I make discoveries, I will add them here so that those who come will know what to expect.

The discs come in a long flat display box with a velcro catch, the dvds placed inside two smaller boxes with velcro closers, cardboard subdividers, and tabs labeling the seasons. They are decorated reminiscent of the menu screen for Season one, in orange and yellow streaks and lines, number and notches, designed to appear to be held together with strips of duct tape (this is in fact the box design--not actual duct tape) happy.gif There is also an episode guide that lists the episodes by season, disc, and title, with a brief description of the plot, glossy paper, rolled and folded in three places.

The first little box contains Seasons 1 through 4, and weirdly, the discs of the first, second, and fourth seasons is plain silver, while the third appears to be identical to the season releases that are decorated in MacGyverisms (ie., handcuffs, garden hose, rubber bands, baby powder, and a chocolate bar).

Those of us who got the unedited replacements for Season 1 will remember that the 'new' discs were done in silver--S1,2, and 3 are identical to those. I will report as to whether they are edited or unedited as I veiw the discs.

I must say that I find it odd that they would mix them like this. On the face it seems to be evidence supporting the suggestion that they cobbled this collection together from left-over individual season releases. *eyebrow arch*

The second small box contains Seasons 5 through 7, as well as the 'Special Feature' disc, which contains Lost Treasure of Atlantis and Trail to Doomsday. S5, 6 and 7 are decorated identical to the individual releases. The Special Features disc is decorated like the individual releases, orange background with a SAK, a compass, and a piece of twine unravelling.

Why would they decorate the last disc, but not the first, second, and fourth seasons? How much trouble to whip out a new disc and slap a decorative sticker on it.... weird.

I'm watching the TV movies first, to see what might have been edited out of the recorded- from- TV- and- mutilated- by- commercials- versions that I have. I will have more to report on this, but for now let me say that the quality of the picture for Trail to Doomsday is awesome.

more soon.... cool.jpg

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 22 October 2007 - 02:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Excellent Loth!!

Thanks for the report. It does seem to indicate that Paramount really have taken little to no care with this set.

But it's great to have some detail of the set.

Look forward to reading more.

MacG.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted: 22 October 2007 - 03:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

dry.gif Did she just say that there's not uniformity to the set?

That it seems they threw it together from "leftovers"? ohno-smiley.gif

mad.gif <<< this is me... peeved.

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 22 October 2007 - 04:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

thats certainly what it sounded like. Paramount have turned the show into a cheap nasty joke.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 22 October 2007 - 05:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Yep. Not terribly professional-looking at all. I'm baffled why they couldn't take the time and effort to put art on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th seasons... very cheesy.

It is nice to see the movies with quality picture, and with good sound.

Good news... the First season appears to be the 'unedited' version in fact. For example, at the beginning of 'The Thief of Budapest' there is extra footage of the city; an extended scene of the gypsies playing in front of the café; the extended scene between Mac and Yanna outside of the prison and the introduction of Yanna's St. Theotimus metal; the 'Hungarian goulash' scene outside of Reena's, etc., ect.

Brain is melting now. More details will be revealed as the drama continues to unfold. tongue.gif

Macs Lab Rat
Posted: 22 October 2007 - 09:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

Ahhhh! If it turns out I'm going to want to re-buy my seasons 1, 2 and 4 due to editing I’m going to come over there and slap someone! boxing.gif

Oh, and thanks for the update Loth! love.jpg

QUOTE (Loth)
The discs come in a long flat display box with a velcro catch, the dvds placed inside two smaller boxes with velcro closers, cardboard subdividers, and tabs labeling the seasons. They are decorated reminiscent of the menu screen for Season one, in orange and yellow streaks and lines, number and notches, designed to appear to be held together with strips of duct tape (this is in fact the box design--not actual duct tape)
hmm.bmp Sounds like they have tried to make the boxes have a Macgyverish feel to them anyway. But does it work or just look tacky? Does your comment about the set not looking very professional just apply to the odd no decoration on the disks or to the whole thing?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jess
Posted: 22 October 2007 - 11:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Wenger; black

Favorites
Episode:Too many to list.

I've got all the DVD series sets, but no movies yet.

Is it possible to see some screenshots of the boxset and inside? i've only seen the actual box images off of Amazon and the like, but what does it look like inside and such?

~ Jess

"The great thing about a map is that it gets you in and out of places in a lot of different ways" - MacGyver in 'Gauntlet'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Reptile
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 12:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Gauntlet
Vehicle: Nomad
House:  Apartment

Some great news here smile.gif

Lothithil, do you have a camera or just camera on mobile phone for example?
If yes, could you take some pics how does it look inside the box, some pics of DVD labels and maybe episode guide and I really want to see how the 2 smaller boxes where the DVDs are placed look like.

Then I will place my order at Amazon.com (through MOL store to support this great site of course) wink.gif

btw, if you tell me that the Thief of Budapest has unedited (1min 10secs) opening theme then it certainly is unedited version which is great...
I didn't noticed any other editions in individual season sets (as I watched it at friends home), so the only edited episode in whole MacGyver DVDs for me is Thief of Budapest from season 1 (from the first edited release), so really it is weird why season 2 and 4 has also plain silver DVD label

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 04:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I have no camera, but I shall consult my techno-gurus on the possibility of doing a layout for you guys so you can see what they look like.

For the now, let me say that I have mixed opinions about the design of the boxes.

They look neat, having a MacGyverish flavour to them, but I wonder about long term wear. The smaller boxes file the discs like cards in a recipe box, with individual folders, but do not provide dust protection like the full sized plastic encasements of the individual releases, and they are made out of paper, so that will be a concern if a time comes when they might get torn or wear out.

They will have to be kept inside the display box for protection, and that means that they will not fit nicely into my DVD racks. I'll have to make a special place for them on the bookshelf or on top of the rack.

I'll get pictures of the inner boxes, how they open, and what the discs look like. May take a few days.

Lothithil reporting, stay tuned for further developments! cool.jpg

Reptile
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 04:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

thanks...
maybe it will be a good idea to buy empty DVD cases and then just put the DVDs there, I know it wont have pictures on case or something but at least it will be more protected...

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 06:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

thats certainly what it sounded like. Paramount have turned the show into a cheap nasty joke.

I sure wanted talk to the boss over there.

It is nice to see the movies with quality picture, and with good sound.

5.1 dolby? Or is that too high for expectations?
Fade outs in place especially for Trail to Doomsday?

Good news... the First season appears to be the 'unedited' version in fact. For example, at the beginning of 'The Thief of Budapest' there is extra footage of the city; an extended scene of the gypsies playing in front of the café; the extended scene between Mac and Yanna outside of the prison and the introduction of Yanna's St. Theotimus metal; the 'Hungarian goulash' scene outside of Reena's, etc., ect.

Interesting.

What about the Pilot episode? Is it the original opening or the one from the previous release? And is that scene where Mac is coming back with Taylor in the Pentagon in it?

Ahhhh! If it turns out I'm going to want to re-buy my seasons 1, 2 and 4 due to editing I’m going to come over there and slap someone!

Wait, I'll join you. Feel like slapping someone anyway. boxing.gif

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 06:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

This is so frustrating. I have the movies and think they're complete. unsure.gif

Would be nice to have them in best quality available tho.

I'm going to have to butter someone up to borrow them. biggrin.gif

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jess
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 08:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites

It would be great if they had released the show with extras. Interviews and such. I'd love an interview with David Lee Zlotoff to see where he got the idea for the show from and the like. Commentaries on some episodes would be nice too. Wistful thinking maybe..?

~ Jess

"The great thing about a map is that it gets you in and out of places in a lot of different ways" - MacGyver in 'Gauntlet'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
chocolate
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 08:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

[FONT=Times][SIZE=1][COLOR=orange]
Hi, everyone! hmm.bmp
I would like to know if I have the edited versions or the unedited ones? How do I tell? unsure.gif

chocolate

Reptile
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 08:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

yes it would be nice, but maybe Paramount really dont have any... but I think that they have, but just dont bother to add them to the release

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Jess
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 08:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites

Well they could always shoot new ones. Murphy Brown did that when they got Season 1 out on DVD. commentaries on 2 episodes, plus a couple of interviews in extras.

maybe a "Look back on MacGyver" featurette or something. at least...

~ Jess

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Vader
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 05:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

...Those of us who got the unedited replacements for Season 1 will remember that the 'new' discs were done in silver...

OK, now I'm confused (again.... still...?).

I got the unedited replacements sent to me by Paramount (the whole season, too... I just asked for replacement instructions for the one disc!). Except for the outer box, with the "Contains the original uncut episodes" text on the back, they all had the same artwork that the edited set has...? Did Paramount fail to print some of the replacement discs?

Peace... Vader

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 23 October 2007 - 07:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Oops! I suppose I have been making broad statements without doing enough research!

When I replaced Season 1, the set I received was identical to the packaging of the 'original', except that on the back of the box, down under the big red "1" that is overwritten with 'The Complete First Season', is the legend "Original Broadcast Episodes" (within a frame). The discs themselves are not decorated with the orange-yellow motif and pictures of duct tape, matches, chewing gum, bottlecap, paperclip, and SAK-- just a silver finish with title, episode information, and legalese printed on it.

Perhaps the difference is that I just bought a new set from Amazon, and did not go directly to Paramount and ask for a replacement. I still have the old version set sitting on my bookshelf.

MGod:
The Pilot episode does not contain the footage of MacGyver and Capt. Taylor in the Pentagon... unfortunately. How righteous that would have been! *sigh*

As for the movies, the fade-outs for commercial breaks are smooth and perfect, and the sound quality is Dolby Digital Stereo just like seasons 3-7. If it is any higher quality, I wouldn't know, as my TV is an antique. happy.gif

MacGyverGod
Posted: 24 October 2007 - 12:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

MGod:
The Pilot episode does not contain the footage of MacGyver and Capt. Taylor in the Pentagon... unfortunately. How righteous that would have been! *sigh*

blowup.gif

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Vader
Posted: 27 October 2007 - 05:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Perhaps the difference is that I just bought a new set from Amazon, and did not go directly to Paramount and ask for a replacement.

Now that is weird. You had me worried for a minute that I still had the edited version, but I just double-checked, and even though the disc art is the same as the original set, the episodes are indeed the uncut versions (as confirmed by the "missing footage" thread)...

Peace... Vader

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 10:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Heist

I do have a question before I consider buying MacGyver: The Complete Series. I have heard one source that the complete series is edited and one other source saying it is unedited. Is the complete series unedited by any chance?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 03:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I finally got some pictures taken of the set. I'm going to post them one at a time so that I can annotate them.

First, here's a picture of the set with some items for reference in size:

Attached Image
Attached Image

Lothithil
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 03:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Next, a picture of the box closure to demonstrate width. You can see the little white circle of velcro that keeps the box shut:

Attached Image
Attached Image

Lothithil
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 03:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

A shot of the box open. You can see the two smaller boxes inside. I have unfolded the episode index so that you can see. Photo on the front and each fold lists the episodes and a brief plot synopsis:

Attached Image
Attached Image

MacsChick
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 03:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

Ha, ha! I like your size references, Loth! laugh.gif Perfect!

Gee...now I'm really conflicted. I'd still love to have the movies, but to buy the whole series again just to get them (not to mention the still poor quality...)? Then again, some of my Mac DVDs seem damaged. They just freeze at certain parts of the episode, and I have to take the disc out again, fast forward through the frozen part, and watch the rest without that missing scene. sad.gif Fortunately, it's only on a few of my discs, but it's still frustrating. I swear I took good care of them, too. There aren't any scratches or fuzz on them to account for this strange "freezing" of the frame, and my DVD player is new and plays everything else fine.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 03:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I know these pictures are blurry, but unfortunately, I am no professional photographer. smile.gif

This is one of the small boxes containing Seasons 1-4. You can see the tabs that divide the seasons. Each disc is in a cardboard fold which seperates them.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Lothithil
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 04:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Here are the first four seasons, to demonstrate the art differences. You can see that the 1st, 2nd, and 4th seasons are plain silver, while the third is the same disc art as the individual releases.

Seasons 5-7 are similar to S3.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Lothithil
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 04:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Finally, a picture of the 'Special Feature' disc, which contains both TV movies, 'The Lost Treasure of Atlantis' and 'Trail to Doomsday'. It is located behind the 7th season in the second index box:

Attached Image
Attached Image

MacGyverOnline
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 04:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

AWESOME Loth!! Thanks for posting the pics biggrin.gif

surprise.gif I can't believe how cheap and nasty the set looks. I'm absolutely disgusted.

no protection for the disks and they don't even match! they've used two different sets! blink.gif

Well after seeing that I wouldn't' advise anyone to buy it unless you plan to use a disk holder wallet (which is what I did with mine) in which case the packaging wouldn't matter.

You'd almost be tempted to buy the pack.. copy the features disk and then send it all back and get your money back.

Maybe if enough people send the damn things back Paramount might GET A CLUE!!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll