Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Minichamp

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  ---

I'm taking Season 1 as a fine example. No matter how you look at Mac. He's still in style with his brown leather jacket, jeans/cargo. His haircut back then was not as different as whatever you see people have today.

While the female fashion changed dramatically. You'd find it odd to see how they wear their hair, make-up, clothing (especially the colors).

It's nice seeing the changes over the years. Something that worth remembering cool.jpg

Support 'The Unit' on CBS, sunday 10pm :D

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 29 January 2009 - 01:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---

Aren't the 80's back in style at the moment? or was that a quick fad?

Anyway, blue jeans and a leather jacket never goes out of style.

But MacGyver style is alway in fashion for me. I grew up with the 80's style and still like to this day.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacDriver
Posted: 30 January 2009 - 02:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
House:  House boat

Well I think the look for now is faded jean washes and well-tailored jeans- unlike that late 90's to early 00's thing with carpenter jeans that were baggy as heck and terrible looking. Clarks are in style, at least in midwest America among college aged kids, so that's pretty Macish. I could pull off dressing like first season Mac and probably get away with it. A pronounced mullet though is still pretty no-no, at least anywhere but the south tongue.gif I mean, you had the 60's to early 90's where long hair of some kind was always the look. Well in the mid nineties it went to short haircuts for guys. People like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and Anderson himself ditched long hair as a thing of the past. You can even watch Home Improvement and see the movement unfold as all of the boys gradually had a new look by the late nineties.
Plaid/flannel was a huge no-no for the early 00's and suddenly it came back, both scene kids and mainstream high school/college fashion embraced it's return in different styles. Hollister, Pac Sun, and American Eagle, to name a few, all embraced that. Heck, even the vest has been put on the shelves a few years in a row now. As for being mainstream again, that probably won't happen.
This is all a little out of order, but hopefully it will still be coherent. Anyway, the high tops he switched to are very much a scene kid/urban fashion thing, meaning middle class white people are going to be looked at a little funny in hi tops, but whatever lol, they are on the shelves for sale, that's what matters. Finish Line and any other shoe store has retro 80's Nike hi tops for sure.
Brown leather jackets I see way less frequently than the black ones that are still, as has been said, a classic look with a pair of blue jeans.
Highlighted hair for men is pretty much out for now, but that one comes and goes too. Eh, what do I know, I'm just a college student exposed to a narrow portion of the world, but I can speak for about 3 states in the US tongue.gif
I don't buy specifically things Mac wore (although someone did once up and give me a brown bomber jacker, I was like "!!!" I didn't say out loud "Yay, now I can look like MacGyver!")
Really I just try to buy utilitarian stuff like he did. 5 pocket fashion jeans (AE just happens to carry my relatively uncommon size- 30x34) and then I buy leather sketchers- they're actually really durable and fashionable at the same time. And stealthy, since they're black, you know, for when I have to sneak into a convention center to steal a Ming Dragon tongue.gif
So yeah, I think in part Mac fashion can be integrated into modern fashion for sure- but to outright say it is "back" per se may be a little wishful. But boy there is nothing I would love more than to see the return of 80's fashion lol. Actually, thinking back, last summer Express had a LOT of 80's fashion they were trying to reintroduce. Everything from white pants and sports coats to colored jeans, it was definitely tempting until I saw the price tags.

"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
AlanP
Posted: 30 January 2009 - 03:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Episode:

nice speculation macdriver tongue.gif

Mullet is a no-go. LOL Mac shouldn't had done that in the show but whatever. He's still mac who cares.

A pair of nice tailored jeans that fits can wear forever if the colors don't fade, which usually isn't the case.

The colors back then were all washed out, not sure if that's because of the old film.

Black and grey can never go wrong these days.. tongue.gif

I personally like chino pants better, not that I don't like jeans - chinos is less noticeable after fading...not a big fan of cargo pants..

Support 'The Unit' on CBS, sunday 10pm :D

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 2 February 2009 - 07:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I was watching an episode with my girlfriend recently and I had to pause it to run into the kitchen for something, and I hear her shriek, "Oh, dear God! I just noticed he's wearing white socks with black pants... 80s attack!!!!" So, yeah, I guess that's another fashion no-no these days. tongue.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverfan717
Posted: 16 February 2009 - 07:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Blow out
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Loft

You were probably watching one of the later episodes of season 3. Mac wore his black flight jacket with black jeans and black sneakers, the only thing you can see is is bright white socks! Ok I admit it, I have the same outfit...I don't see anything wrong with it!

"...Verily, Verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
John 3:3

"And where are my shoelaces!?"-Dexter Fillmore, Deep Cover

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted: 16 February 2009 - 08:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

The man no matter what he wears is still MacGyver. I don't care if he has a tuxedo, with tail. It is still MacGyver. Unless he is wearing a marine uniform then he is Jack O'Neill. Doesn't make any difference to me. He looks good wearing whatever he wants to wear. biggrin.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 16 February 2009 - 01:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

I never cared on how he looked on the show. Though to me his white T-Shirt and jeans is what made "Mac" to me. And maybe the cargo but I've always been in favor of the jeans. That should've been like his standard outfit for all the cooler episodes like Passages, Good Knight MacGyver and The Stringer as it was but there were so many others. Of course it's got to fit in the time's fashion.

What I am concerned, I'd like to stick with black. The whole works... black. As far as the haircut goes. Think I'm off the fifth season mania. Been to the barbershop only twice last year. tongue.gif During the summer I could hardly see. Like to go for the seventh season hairstyle either that or a bit shorter. Shorter anyways. After three months it's as long as it actually should be to look perfect.

Do have to admit I'd liked Brad Pitt's style in The Devil's Own. I don't think long hair is a thing of the past. It's something you choose to like or not. I decided to like it. Most of my friends are always complaining about it and that I should go more often to take a haircut. But why? What for? It's taking or leaving it, with me. I don't mind or care if it falls over my eyes, I think it should stay moveable. Maybe I should try Brendan Fraser's style or Antonio Banderas? hmm.bmp I also did like James Read's style back in the 80's. (We all might better know him as George Hazard from North and South.)

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
aatgmac
Posted: 16 March 2009 - 06:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:

Mac fashion is definately back. In the UK anyway, the trainers Nike have now brought out the retro range, looking just like Macs old white ones with querky new colours. I had to smirk when I saw them, the old jeans, bombers, all back. The hair...almost!

-Every Action has an equal and opposite reaction

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted: 2 April 2009 - 04:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

The 80's will always be in style happy_dance.gif

Mac Jackson
Posted: 2 April 2009 - 07:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.

See, for me MacGyver hardly ever looked like he was "of the Time" or dated now. He always said "I've never given much thought to what I wear..." and that fit. RDA is comfortable in anything he wears and his uneffortless style that it makes whatever he wears on any show non-fad. By not trying to keep up with the latest fads you avoid looking outdated later.
Since I was a kid I was told I looked enough like him so it was helpful to see what I could look like if I wore what he wore. He has been my test run to see what I can and shouldn't wear. I had long hair and was proud of it but cut it when I felt I had it long enough. Luckily, it was also when it had gone out of style. Most of my style matches the undated look that RDA has includeing most of what he wore on MacGyver. I have most of what he wore/wears today and I'm proud that I resemble my idol naturally and coinidently. That being said there are only a few moments when his look didn't work for me then or now. In the third season he wore on one episode puffy white socks over the cuffs of his sweats. That was a 80 hockey thing so no big deal. As far as hair goes he was smart to always update it but there is a time in the 4th season(ala Runners) he was doing a feathery,swoop bang thing that I never liked. Like too much time was spent on his hair(so unlike him) and during season 5 (ala Second Chance,Children of Light)at one point his hair got too long and hung like greasy snot. He even makes the joke about it saying "...And I need a haircut!" in Serenity. I remember thinking that was a wink to the audience who thought so. The good news is that by the end of both seasons it got fixed. His hair was even longer and bushier in the movies but I thought it looked good. There was a style to it comparitively. I was sad when RDA cut it short just because I dread change but now know it was the right thing to do. I also now enjoy the joys of nonfuss short hair. LOL! One of the things I learned from MacGyver was that you don't have to or shouldn't dress to be iconic and stand out. If you are iconic in who you are and what you do then the common, casual clothing that you wear becomes the cool style others copy. MacG.gif

I would to this day, though, LOVE to find out where to buy the white button down sweat shirt he would lounge around in during seasons 3 and 4. I could never find it anywhere.

Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 2 April 2009 - 08:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I love 80's style. But thats because I grew up on it. biggrin.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted: 3 April 2009 - 07:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

So did I. And you know what they say what is old is new again. laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll