Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 107 The Gun

A gun used in an assassination 20 years ago resurfaces when a cop is shot, and MacGyvers friend from the youth center is accused of the crime..

Note: this episode was produced in reaction to the murder of actress Rebecca Schaeffer by a crazed fan.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 January 2007 - 01:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
House:  ---

I like the argument MacGyver gives regarding innocent people being shot in their own homes, beds, crossing the road etc.

I also like the argument he gives to Breeze when he's trying to get him to tell the police who shot the cop.. about the children of a mother who was shot thinking life isn't fair etc.

I think they put their "anti gun" perspective across quite well, leaving the viewer with something to think about.

Of coarse gun control is one of those topics where people don't try to see the others point of view, so the only viewers who will go away thinking about the messages of this episode are the ones who are all ready against guns.

I also like the quote from breeze in reference to what MacGyver was doing in the crate... "He's trying to get us out of here. Just relax, thats what he does."

I think that explains MacGyver so well laugh.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 28 September 2008 - 04:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

I live in a place where owning guns is a breach of law for civilians. It is easy for everyone to see the damages that guns can do but it's quite an argument in defining guns as self-defense tools or killing weapons for general public. I appreciate the message this episode brought out, especially to youngsters who are curious about guns, just like Mac when he was young, before it's too late.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacLovin
Posted on 23 April 2010 - 11:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I voted okay. I like the way MacGyver got his point across about guns. I remember my American Government teacher always talking about how the second amendment pertained to the militia, so it was interesting to hear Mac bring it up.

I always wonder what happened to the kid that was trying to trade the gun for drugs though. I just watched the episode and I can't remember his name. They only showed his sister at the end when they were destroying the guns but they never mentioned him.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 29 June 2011 - 09:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. They never mentioned what happened to him.
I liked this episode, they got the anti gun message across well...at least I think they did, but then again, I'm anti gun so of course I agreed with the whole episode!
I do think it might have been slightly preachy though especially at the end when MacGyver says there was 'a hundred million more to go' Does he mean that many guns were used in crime or the number of guns owned by people across the US? I couldn't work that one out.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 15 March 2014 - 04:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I just saw The Godfather part III and upon looking for info on the movies, I found out it was Rebecca Schaeffer who was scheduled for an audition for the role of Mary Corleone on the day she got murdered. She was preparing for the audition when she got shot by Robert John Bardo. A 19-year old kid. Bullet went straight into her heart. He got life without parole. He was already stalking her for three years, wrote her letters and stuff at only the age of 16.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0769726/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bth_nm

Episode MacGyver: The Gun (1990) of the TV Series MacGyver (1985) was produced in reaction to her murder.

The role of Mary Corleone eventually went to Sofia Coppola.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 16 March 2014 - 12:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

How interesting it would have been had she still been alive & got the part.

Very sad indeed.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 27 August 2015 - 12:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

I thought the anti-gun message was handled well here.
And I especially like Mac's tone of voice when he says, "Yes, I'm one of THEM". The tone is just right for someone who's had this conversation many, many times before! smile.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 5 January 2016 - 03:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

'Babies. Cops. Housewives. Presidential candidates.' I actually do think Mac was on a roll. He didn't back down in any of the conversations in the episode. He got Breeze to say who the killer was. One of my favorite scenes. And also how he spoke to Laura when he first met her. 'You expect me to believe that the gun and you being at wrecking yard at the same time was just a coincidence?'

I think this is one of the few if not only episode where Mac didn't appreciate joking around or sarcasm or cynisism. It was all too touchy, too important.

Actually I just came here to point something out. Something I have never ever seen before in all the years I've been watching in this episode. It turns out Todd is an Iron Maiden fan. I never noticed the poster in his room before. I'm not a major fan myself but I know and like some of their songs.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 12 September 2016 - 11:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

I just watched this episode. It reminded me a bit of an episode of "Quincy" which was also about gun crime (good ole Quincy, always crusading against whatever had killed the most recent corpse to be autopsied by his team. And I'm not sure I bought the bit about a particular gun having massive symbolic importance.

On the other hand, the part where the police officers almost killed Breeze was sadly very topical. I don't think they would have waited and tried to persuade himself to give himself up had Mac not intervened.

Like many, although not all, of my compatriots, I frequently wonder when the USA is going to "do something about its gun problem". I appreciate that a lot of Americans don't consider that the USA does have a gun problem.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 1 October 2018 - 10:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Just wanted to share this promo on The Gun which aired today 28 years ago.

Interesting, first a preview on the next episode before the end credits of the previous one? hmm.bmp

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll