Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 42 - Friends

At a surprise birthday party thrown for MacGyver by Pete Thornton & his friends, MacGyver reviews his life-threatening career and ponders resignation.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 8 November 2006 - 01:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

votes from 26th March 2006

Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Average [ 2 ] [22.22%]
OK [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Good [ 5 ] [55.56%]
Excellent [ 2 ] [22.22%]
Total Votes: 9

Archived comments

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Jun 7 2005 @ 01:48 AM )
A good episode, a good way to refresh your memories about old assignments. 

QUOTE (lemmy357 Jun 7 2005 @ 04:02 AM )
Most clip shows I would vote as poor. But this one wasn't too bad.

QUOTE (MacGyver Jun 7 2005 @ 07:14 AM )
Over the course of 7 years, MacGyver only had 3 "clip show" episodes. This is actually a pretty small number compared to some other shows. It seems Family Ties had quite a few of those, but that's okay because I love Family Ties too. In any case, I think MacGyver always managed to make good use of the clips in order to tell a further ongoing story that was important. I remember first seeing "Friends" and having fun remembering all the cool scenes from the first two seasons. MacGyver rescuing the pilot in the Pilot, MacGyver fixing the brake lines on the car in "The Enemy Within", MacGyver escaping in the hot air balloon in "The Gauntlet", etc.

I also remember wondering if MacGyver really would retire and then of course, we see the happy ending where Mac is encouraged to keep going on and the letter's torn up. And of course, Jack Dalton has some funny scenes as usual. And this is the only time that MacGyver, Pete, Jack, Penny and Harry are all together in an episode. And Craig Bannister from the DXS was there too!

The other clip shows are significant because "Unfinished Business" brings the return of everyone's favorite female villian (or is that villianess? :-)) Deborah, and "Hind-Sight" sees Pete about to undergo his eye surgery. But I'm sure we'll talk about those in greater detail when we get there. wink.gif sak.gif duct.gif 

QUOTE (Nicole Jun 18 2005 @ 04:57 PM )
this i thought was another good episode...wish i had parties like that.. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif 

QUOTE (Amy Jun 19 2005 @ 01:06 PM )
Good episode--great trip down memory lane! I always like the times when Mac thinks hard about what he does and decides it's worth it after all!

QUOTE (Jax Jun 22 2005 @ 10:54 AM)
Friends--

Id have to agree with all of you, as far as clip shows go it wasnt bad. I think my favorite part of this little episode, is not only Jack's clever way of getting Mac to the party, but the look of utter HORROR and SHOCK on Mac's face when he sees Robin Cook with her big pregnant belly. surprise.gif

Why it never occured to Mac that if he hadnt seen her in some time, that'd pretty much rule him OUT as the father! LOL.

Is it just ME or do you guys notice how many times Mac gets kissed in the first season. I swear every episode had SOMEONE locking lips with him! LOL Not that I blame them, he is adorable but geez! By the time the first season ended, he probably had raw chapped lips!

Another thing worth mentioning... what Mac said about doing normal things while he still had time. He made it sound like he had to chose one or the other, when in my opinion he could have BOTH! Am I wrong? What do you guys think?

Jax 

QUOTE (Toni Apr 2 2006 @ 08:39 AM )
I was surprised that it was good for a clip show.

I was nice to see some old faces again.

QUOTE (MacsChick Apr 2 2006 @ 03:20 PM )
This is the first time we see MacGyver seriously reflecting on everything he's done and evaluating whether it's a good choice for his life or not...pretty deep for a birthday episode, but then again, a lot of people think about those things during their birthdays. I know I sure do.

It's a great episode. It has its funny moments, like his stunned reaction to Kate's pregnancy:

Kate: "You did this" (or something like that)
MacGyver: "Uh-uh!"

Doesn't he look guilty here! His eyes are wide, and he looks like a little boy caught tracking mud through the house or something! happy.gif

Jack (about to cut the cake with a machete): "Want a...big piece?" wink.gif

There's also a good measure of drama, too. I love how choked up MacGyver gets when he gives his birthday speech...aren't we lucky he decided to continue? Honestly, I can't imagine him just sitting around--we know he loves what he does too much to quit. 

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
thlayli87
Posted on 28 May 2008 - 08:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Black leather

I watched this one again recently. It's pretty decent, it shows a lot of memorable moments and stunts from the first 2 seasons. Might be a good intro episode for someone new to the show. There are some genuinely funny moments too, like Jack's disguise, MacGyver's reaction to his pregnant ex, and the banter between Jack and Penny. MacGyver's thoughts about retirement seemed really sudden and out of place to me though, and not the type of thing you'd be likely to admit at a party thrown in your honor. But it works as a plot device.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 2 June 2008 - 08:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Season: season 3

This was one of three clip episodes: Unfinished Business and Hind Sight are the other two.
I love Jack Dalton in disguise with the knife. Mac comes out of the bathroom, after using the bathroom and washing his hands, walks to his can of soda, takes a sip and the look on his face when he feels the knife and hears the voice that he doesn't recognize is priceless. Question:how does he not recognize the voice?
I love the party sequences with Penny, Craig Bannister, Jack, Pete and Grandpa Harry. I love the relatiosnhip that is shown between Mac and Harry. John Anderson was an amazing chaarcter actor. Anyone remeber Psycho? The car dealer? That cracks me up when I watch Psycho, and see Mac's grandpa Harry. Whoa!
Penny is a good chaarcter, but the only thing is how can anyone be that bubbly. She's like a female Jack Dalton, always in trouble. The difference is Jack has a brain and thank heaven Jack doesn't kiss Mac is every episode they are in, like Penny does. That bugs me.
Mac really for the first time considers resigning, and even admits that he would lie to go back to Minnesota and meet a woman and settle down. He is considering his life's direction. At the end he tells the group that when he was a kid his grandpa told him that a fella's life isn't worth much if he didn't share with a few folks along the way. (paraphrase)
Great episode!

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
thlayli87
Posted on 3 June 2008 - 08:30 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

That's funny. I was just watching Psycho the other night and noticed (a much younger) John Anderson. I didn't know he was in that.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 30 March 2009 - 07:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

This is a well presented clip show with some special moments of its own. I can't stop laughing about the facial expression of Mac when he met the pregnant Kate and her husband. The birthday speech is touching, it's lucky that he gave that speech and reminded him of the meaning of the work he does, so we could have him for 5 more seasons.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
aatgmac
Posted on 1 April 2009 - 06:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Minichamp

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:

Pretty good for a 'clip show' I found it quite touching and showed how Mac had helped people in life changing ways. With comedy thrown in smile.gif

-Every Action has an equal and opposite reaction

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 12:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Loved this one where Pete and friends reminds MacGyver of his past feets.

MacLovin
Posted on 18 April 2010 - 10:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites
Episode:Pilot

Ironic how scared he is when he sees a pregnant Kate...all the while he's got a preteen son running around somewhere out there lol.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
BrakeFluid
Posted on 27 December 2010 - 05:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: An old one. :)

Favorites
Episode:The Outsiders

I normally don't like highlights-episodes, but this one is great. Not only a great collection of clips (especially impressive when it was only the second season), but for once the "current" story framing them is actually somewhat compelling. It takes some suspension of disbelief to buy the set-up and Mac's failure to recognize Jack, but Pete is absolutely right that Mac wouldn't have come to the party under any other circumstances. There are also some great eighties relics, like the 5' disc in the first scene, Penny's hair and dress, and the fact that Kate's husband is "a linebacker for the Titans" (there was, of course, no such team in 1987 but there is now). I was going to nitpick Mac's reference to the Titans as "having a great season" in the present tense when it was March, but they could have been a USFL team(?)

I found Mac's ambivalence about his future believable too, although I'd have liked to hear more about what had gone wrong on the assignment in Central America that he'd just returned from. All in all, a truly great episode.

By the way, is it just me, or does Jack's eye not twitch when he tells Penny he studied in Milan?

They've got guns. All I have is orange juice and a rope...

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
rinaldi_LOL
Posted on 30 January 2011 - 05:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: Nomad
House:  Apartment

This episode made me think: On what basis did Mac become "special agents" in the Phoenix Foundation? Did Mac ever get the kind of "special training" or what? Was he a graduate of military academy? Have there been specially trained?

If not, then how "civilians" like MacGyver who have a background in physics education (?) can be trusted to perform dangerous tasks?

To perform these actions in the episode "Pilot", "The Gauntlet", "Golden Triangle", and so on, at least once trained military.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 1 February 2011 - 01:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (rinaldi_LOL @ 31 January 2011 - 01:37 AM)
This episode made me think: On what basis did Mac become "special agents" in the Phoenix Foundation? Did Mac ever get the kind of "special training" or what? Was he a graduate of military academy? Have there been specially trained?

If not, then how "civilians" like MacGyver who have a background in physics education (?) can be trusted to perform dangerous tasks?

To perform these actions in the episode "Pilot", "The Gauntlet", "Golden Triangle", and so on, at least once trained military.

Mac's backstory has always been a bit muddled, particularly since no two writers could agree on anything. Also, in the early episodes, he seems like a skilled fighter, which would make sense since he supposedly had some kind of training. In later episodes, though, he's portrayed more as an "everyman," who somehow manages to occasionally land a lucky punch on his opponents.

I have a hard time believing Mac ever had military training, since he wouldn't agree to use a gun, and no drill sargent is going to just say, "Oh, ok, you don't like guns? No problem, we'll make an exception for you." On the other hand, like you said, it's unlikely he'd get the kind of job he had, especially in season 1, if he didn't have some kind of formal military training.

Notice also that they completely change his back story with the first Murdoc episode. That episode portrays Mac as a nervous, somewhat awkward guy who meets Pete while driving a car. Yet, in Season 1, we know Mac has had training flying planes, fighting, etc. And in season 1 we're told that Mac and Pete met when they got stuck in quicksand, but "Partners" contradicts this. Trying to make sense of Mac's backstory is largely a waste of time, since even the writers couldn't be bothered to come up with anything consistant.

I sometimes think of Season 2 as a reboot of the series. It feels like they had one idea in mind when they did season 1, and then they decided to change course for Season 2.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 1 February 2011 - 02:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

We've discussed this in some depth in this topic about how the bomb disposal teams wouldn't nesasseraly be made up of all enlisted solders. It also discusses how MacGYver's hate of guns is probbaly the result of various life experiances.

Remember in the episode Tough Boys he says his dislike of violance is because he knows so much about it. Guns are probabaly along the same lines.

There's also this topic about MacGyver being a green beret clicky

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
BrakeFluid
Posted on 12 February 2011 - 07:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: An old one. :)

Favorites
Episode:The Outsiders

Another hint from "Tough Boys" is that he recognizes the net arrangement as force recon ("they don't even make a manual for that!") Also, he mentions having been in Vietnam at least once. Since he graduated from college in 1973, he wouldn't have been drafted, which makes it somewhat more plausible that he was there strictly in a role that did not involve him carrying a gun.

They've got guns. All I have is orange juice and a rope...

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 26 April 2011 - 01:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

I think this episode is boring. Its like the actors decided they couldn't be bothered acting, and the writers got slack and couldn't be bothered writing a proper script. This is 15 minutes of acting and 40 minutes or so of flashbacks.

I did love how Mac reacted to pregnant Kate - I doubt he carries condoms with him in that knapsack, but he could have used duct tape...hehe.

Why are people calling her Robin, though?

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 26 April 2011 - 10:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

It's the actors name

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 27 April 2011 - 12:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 27 April 2011 - 06:22 PM)
It's the actors name

Oh okay. Silly me, I should have known that. ohmy.gif

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 27 September 2012 - 03:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

This episode is actually rather good for a clip show. I like the premise, though it made me very curious about what actually happened when Mac got so close to being killed. Something definitely touched him on a personal level, and made him re-evaluate some aspects of his life.

I think most of us in his age have sometimes felt a touch of the birthday blues. Personally, I feel very much out of place if people throw a party for me like that, so I think I do at least have a clue what he feels like in that aspect too...

I noticed many of the clips were actually the opening gambits in their entirety. Watching them over again, I compared them to the new Citan ads, and found them very different from almost every aspect; story telling, dialogue versus action and just the general flow. In my opinion, the opening gambits work, but the Citan ads were much of a disappointment.

The look on Mac's face when he finds out that Kate is pregnant is just priceless. I think the thought of suddenly and unexpectedly becoming a father is so frightening that he simply forgets how long it was since they were together. And especially since she actually says it's his fault, too... laugh.gif

And I won't even mention the kissing scenes with Penny... oops, I just did. I pretend I didn't, and that I didn't see them, either. tongue.gif

Glad Mac didn't resign, or there would just have been two seasons of MacGyver... wink.gif

A "Good" rating from me.

PM                                                                     
cmbj67
Posted on 29 July 2014 - 01:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Cease Fire, but not only

This is a good episode to me, even if it's a compilation of old episodes already seen (a million times).

Poor Mac, after he was close to dying in three different times his so called "friend" brakes into his house and points a knife to him surprise.gif

RDA looks sad for real in this episode, maybe for the co-worker who the episode is dedicated to.

They made the audience think that it was the very last episode until a few minutes before the end. Fortunately it wasn't biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 29 July 2014 - 10:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Flashback episodes were always quite popular in the 80's. Sometimes it was a way of saving on budget for the season when they spent too much on another episode or two.

I felt they did this once too many for Stargate SG1 actually. I called those "Earth" episodes where the entire episode was set on the base.

Whenever they showed these, I always thought to myself, "Oh! It's another Earth episode!" biggrin.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Harry1982
Posted on 16 August 2014 - 04:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Various

Favorites
Episode:Passages

Just watched Friends as I'm going trough the whole serie. Normally I don't like Flashback episodes, but this one is decent. It could be much better though, since I don't like how they changed these flashbacks. For example the opening gambit with the map, the original is just pure gold, but they changed fantastic Randy Edelman score among other things. I don't know, it just feels strange to see them that way. Why not to show them like we remember them in the first place. There are Jack, Pete, Penny, Harry, Kate and Craig at the party which is great, but we don't really get to see a lot of conversations between them. This episode could have so much more potential if it weren't just a budget saving episode.

Harry Jackson: There was a time when I could run all day without breaking a sweat. I tell ya: it's hell getting old.
MacGyver: Age is only in the mind, Harry.
Harry Jackson: Well, my mind tells me I'm gettin' old.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 17 August 2014 - 12:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Well the composers have to work too, you know. Also Unfinished Business and Hind-Sight are flashback episodes with new music on old MacGyverisms.

Mac meets with everyone throughout the episode and talks at least once too them and there's one flashback for each character. And you only have like 45 minutes to do so.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Maclover
Posted on 11 October 2015 - 05:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites

I must admit I am also not keen on 'cut and shut' episodes, but I did quite enjoy this one. Although the pair of characters annoy me I did like the way Penny pulled the rug from under Jack in the finish by informing him of the 'note' in the ladies area. They are two characters that are in the series for laughs, but every so often show a practical side to the character that you don't expect. I also liked the way that Mac wouldn't let Jack interrupt Penny's kisses LOL. Lucky Penny!

I think I enjoyed the show as I quite like Mac in moody introspective mode - given his job I am surprised it doesn't surface more often.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 10 October 2016 - 06:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered

MacG.gif probably realised how foolish he had been to panic, deciding that Kate would surely have told him much, much sooner if it had been his/their baby ...

... nasty.gif life is full of irony.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mr Duct Tape
Posted on 28 October 2016 - 05:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:

It's not a wonderful episode but it has its moments. I like the scenes with Harry and Pete in particular. It was interesting to see MacGyver in a introspective mood.

3/5

"Ok hotshot, so you got yourself a golden brown palomino between your legs, and NO reins. Now what?"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 28 October 2016 - 12:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams

The fact that MacGyver is introspective doesn't surprise me. I've always classed him as an introvert, especially since he's a loner. It would explain why he doesn't like parties and being formal, and also why he forms such strong bonds with people.

Seriously, MacGyver is my Dad on steroids... XD

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 28 October 2016 - 11:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I agree Jedi. I think living the life he lived would naturally cause you to be retrospective. If for nothing else, just pure sanity and survival!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 27 September 2020 - 12:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

I don't like "souvenir" episodes but it has small advantages like guest stars like Jack, Harry Penny or Kate ... one can appreciate the phoenix foundation, like jack's humor and mac's request to start a family. On the other hand, in France the dialogues of the souvenir episodes are not the same as their first broadcasts, and in the USA? are they different dialogues? 3 ⭐️

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 28 September 2020 - 04:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (sylvain1888 @ 28 September 2020 == 08:47 AM)
On the other hand, in France the dialogues of the souvenir episodes are not the same as their first broadcasts, and in the USA? are they different dialogues? 3 ⭐️

In English the dialogues are the same as original show. They are exact clips from the oriignal episodes.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 28 September 2020 - 12:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyverOnline @ 28 September 2020 - 04:42 AM)
QUOTE (sylvain1888 @ 28 September 2020 - 08:47 AM)
On the other hand, in France the dialogues of the souvenir episodes are not the same as their first broadcasts, and in the USA? are they different dialogues? 3 ⭐️

In English the dialogues are the same as original show. They are exact clips from the oriignal episodes.

A yes it is true it is not redoubled, it is stupid on my part ... In any case thank you for your answer.
I take this opportunity to congratulate you on your website, it is a beautiful tribute to the Macgyver series and I am happy to find fans and even talk about it in 2020 ... Macgyver is eternal.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll