Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.

Episode 090 - Children of Light

A Chinese student with a video tape of the Tiananmen Square uprising desperately needs MacGyver’s help to expose the atrocities of her government to the world.
(Note: The Chinese government protested when a Vancouver building was made into the episode's Chinese consulate.)

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 4 December 2007 - 05:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Since no one else has started this topic, I thought I'd go for it.

Loved this eppy! It's one of my all-time favorites. I really liked Mei Jan; she's got to be one of my favorite female characters. She's smart and knows how to take care of herself, and she's so wonderfully idealistic. She's seen something horrible, but believes that the truth can come out and that the country she loves so much can change for the better. The scene where she's still pretending to be her late friend when Mac and Pete confront her is great. It's obvious pretty early on that she's hiding something... but it turns out to be the last thing you expect.

I also like the storyline involving the videotape. It was a "maybe this is how the story got out" kind of thing. Who knows? It's plausible!

I liked the whole escape sequence, especially the scene where Mac throws the bad guy's gun into the soup pot. And the special of the day is... laugh.gif Of course, loved the scene on the roof of the Chinese embassy, and their getaway. That was just too cool! clapping.gif

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 30 March 2008 - 03:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I watched this one again last night. I really enjoy the "homely" feel of this episode. Lots of houseboat shots (love the houseboat).

It was kewl to see Mac and Pete just kinda hanging out and mucking around with Pete's alarm clock. It really gives a sense of how deep their friendship runs and reminds me of stuff I use to do with friends when we lived in the same town. I have particularly fond memories of us pulling a computer monitor apart one afternoon to try and stop the high pitch squeal it was emitting.

I think thats one of the great things about MacGyver, it takes you back to a better time, and in spite of the content that this episode works around, for me, it's still one of those "favorite pair of comfy jeans" episodes.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 30 March 2008 - 07:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep

That scene always reminds me of what my brother used to do, taking things apart, examining them. Yeah, that episode reminds me of better times, too, although what was going on in China wasn't that great, as illustrated in the story and in the headlines of the time. sad.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 5 June 2008 - 11:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

We also learn here that while Mac was never married, that he had sponsored a Chinese foster child, named Sue-Ling. He had sent letters and financial support for many years (I don't remember if the episode tells how many). What matters is that this fact shows another insight into Mac's life- further proof that he cares deeply about kids, and is willing to give of himself. Mac had been Sue-Ling's inspiration the episode tells us, the desire for freedom of mind and spirit- came from Mac. Sue Ling lost her life in pursuit of that freedom, which makes the cause that Mei Jan was fighting for even more personal for Mac. Great episode!

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
elavia
Posted on 5 April 2009 - 08:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Gauntlet
Jacket:  Brown bomber

Good episode. The escape from embassy on the end is similar to escape in "Prodigal" but most realistic: no telescope cannon making. Very goog idea to use coaxil cable. It seems that dont use a doble for that scene. (Sorry for my awful english).

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 5 April 2009 - 03:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Good point about the stunt double.

I hadn't really thought about it before.. but that does look awfully like RDA doesn't it.

I guess it's only really a flying fox they where on, so not really any more dangerous than hanging off the side of a swing bridge. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 5 April 2009 - 04:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

Or flying down a zipline (a stunt RDA loves to do a lot). The stunt setup in this episode is similar to a zipline, so maybe he did it.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 3 June 2009 - 09:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Today marks the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square protests which form the central plot device of this particular episode.

Interesting to note that this episode was aired only 5 months after the protests happened, which I'm sure would have added to the controversy of the episode.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 4 June 2009 - 04:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

It's interesting to revisit this episode now after so many years have passed. It appears China is still suppressing their media and Internet in terms of any mention of this anniversary.

--Henry David Thoreau

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 4 June 2009 - 05:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah I saw on the news last night how they wouldn't allow reporters to film around the square at the moment. They're even blocking access to any internet site which mentions it, so all the news, blogging sites etc are currently blocked in China.

Whats the bet this site is blocked as well.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 5 June 2009 - 11:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

That's a safe bet.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 5 June 2009 - 02:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Yesterday, I heard it's been twenty years since the Tienamen Square massacre. It happened from the night of 3rd and 4th of June 1989. This might be interesting for our time frame. I heard people still are in jail for that.

Thoughts, comments?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 5 June 2009 - 02:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

i do think this act of killing could of been proveted by just talking.

MacGirl
Posted on 2 June 2012 - 06:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Just saw this again, and noticed something interesting. In the scene with the escape from the consulate roof, Pete arrives with the students, then goes to see what Mac is doing. He sees him on the roof, and when Mac tosses him the cable and tells him to tie it to his bumper and take up the slack, it seems that Pete knows exactly what Mac is up to. He even calls, "Come ahead!" when the cable is good and taut. He also doesn't seem particularly surprised when Mac and Mei Jan come zipping down the line. Finally, I find it very interesting that Pete would know, or would at least have a pretty good idea, of where Mac would be when he arrived, especially considering that this was before cell phones were in widespread use, and Mac wouldn't have had any way of letting him know what was happening.

By this time in the series, it seems like Pete has finally started to figure out how Mac's mind works. smile.gif I suppose the students could also have clued him in that that would be the only way to escape, but still...

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

What's that?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Hannibal_Smith
Posted on 10 June 2013 - 11:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Good one. I just assumed he showed up not knowing what would happen but figuring that whatever it was, he'd be on the scene to help when it did. It's a nice touch to figure that after ten years, they're starting to really be on the same wavelength.

Here's another one: the scene where he sneaks into the Chinese consulate and promptly gets caught. I used to think it was just an instance of "*censored* happens." Watching it again the other day it occurred to me that he was probably trying to get caught. It's a strange building, he's on the clock - what faster way to find Mei Jan than to get caught so they'd lock him up too, and then break out together?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Daisy8577
Posted on 11 June 2013 - 05:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites

I find it interesting that after all these years the Chinese government still won't own what happened. Maybe talking first would have worked but doubtful.
Remember those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it.

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
MacGirl
Posted on 12 August 2013 - 08:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Hannibal_Smith @ 11 June 2013 - 07:03 PM)
Here's another one: the scene where he sneaks into the Chinese consulate and promptly gets caught. I used to think it was just an instance of "*censored* happens." Watching it again the other day it occurred to me that he was probably trying to get caught. It's a strange building, he's on the clock - what faster way to find Mei Jan than to get caught so they'd lock him up too, and then break out together?

hmm.bmp

That is indeed a possibility. Then again, how would he know he's entering an office? But I suppose it's more likely that an occupied office would have an open window.

What's that?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 12 August 2013 - 10:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I don't think Mac was trying to get caught. Mac usually wants to go in and get out before they would even know he was there. You can clearly see it in his reaction when he's suddenly a room full of bad guys. Or else he wouldn't have asked if he missed a camera.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 20 May 2015 - 10:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

From many episodes I have flashbacks what happened in them, Because I've watched them so many times again, again, but somehow this episode was faded in my mind, so it was like watching new episode what haven't ever seen. But of course I remebered the end escape scene. This was excellent.

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted on 26 May 2017 - 05:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

QUOTE (MacGyverOnline @ 30 March 2008 - 03:54 PM)
I think thats one of the great things about MacGyver, it takes you back to a better time, .

Absolutely!!

Other little things I liked about this episode: How Mac grieves Sue-Ling even though he hasn't seen/heard from her in so long...when he's giving Pete the ice pack, Mac pats him on the head like a child or puppy...when the bad guys at the embassy open the door to put him in the room with Mei Jan he says "thank you"!

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 26 May 2017 - 06:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

The scene where Mac and Pete confronts Mei-Jan and she shows the video is quite powerful.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 26 May 2017 - 12:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

rare behind the scenes photo

Attached Image
Attached Image

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 26 May 2017 - 03:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

That is so cool.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 28 May 2017 - 08:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

Great pic, MiracleMac

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
zoeryan
Posted on 28 October 2018 - 02:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Episode:ETSS, Partners

Cool photo! Is that guy in the purple sweater another Mac stunt double?

"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 28 October 2018 - 04:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams

Dana Elcar seems like he had a great sense of humor. XD

The guy in purple seems like he's part of the crew. Could be a stunt double though.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Hannibal_Smith
Posted on 4 June 2019 - 05:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

And today is the thirtieth anniversary of the Tienanmen Square massacre.

In its honor, check out this one photo: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/585c...Lb17Ve8Xn_6oteo.

Everyone knows the picture of the guy in front of the tank. This is the same picture... zoomed way out to reveal just *how* awesome he was.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll