Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory

jeep.gif the pilot was the first and I was hooked.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 22 September 2013 - 01:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

Just watched this again, having finished the films last week.

I'd forgotten how different the stories were at the start!
I really like the way they introduce Mac and how his brain ticks, and I like Barbara Spencer as his sidekick of the day too smile.gif

Interesting that it was directed by 'Alan Smithee'. Isn't that the alias they use when the actual director doesn't want his/her name on the piece?

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Grazer
Posted on 27 October 2013 - 03:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:The Eraser

This gets an excellent from me. It really sets the show up brilliantly with the underlying theme of MacGyver being the "go to guy" to solve any problem and this episode must be the one with the most MacGyverisms of the whole series. laugh.gif

In spite of the picture quality issues, this episode seems to stand the test of time well. That scanner thing the doctor stands under before entering the lab still seems pretty high tech even today.

Excellent episode. Excellent way to start the series.

biggrin.gif

"One time we were on a camping trip. This bear ate all our food! I got all wimpy scared, but my grandpa, he said to me, 'Bud. . . we'll just go grazing.'"

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 6 March 2014 - 08:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

That poofy pompom toque in the opening gambit is absolutely hilarious. In Canadian winters you can see somebody coming literally a mile away in those things. Definitely not the most efficient stealthware/ accoutrement for secret operations. doh.gif

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 6 March 2014 - 11:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners

I wonder if that's the same hat he wears in the Eagles episode? And if it is I wonder if they wide angle shots of him on the cliff face are taken from the same climbing movie they took the scenes from for Eagles?

hmm.bmp

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted on 8 March 2014 - 05:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

Don't be dissin' the hat! That hat is awesome. lol

I wouldn't be surprised if RDA chose that hat himself. After hearing stories of how much he was a goofball on set of Stargate, one can assume he was just as bad on MacGyver. lol

I hadn't seen the pilot in over two decades, but when I saw it when I re-watched I instantly knew the show was going to be awesome. Call me weird. wink.gif

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 8 March 2014 - 01:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Jediferret @ 9 March 2014 - 02:04 AM)

I wouldn't be surprised if RDA chose that hat himself. After hearing stories of how much he was a goofball on set of Stargate, one can assume he was just as bad on MacGyver. lol

I don't think he had any say in anything of season 1. He was a hired actor at that stage. It wasn't until season 2 that he started to get input to the character development.

On SG RDA was a producer (the boss) which gave him a lot of freedom which he wouldn't have on MacGyver.

PM                                                                     
kristiina86halonen
Posted on 18 March 2014 - 02:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Humanity

QUOTE (Macap311 @ 8 August 2012 - 02:05 PM)
Makes me wonder how much stuff is out there we may never see! Hopefully one day the complete series will be rereleased on Dvd with some kind of bonus material! Hey, I can dream!! Lol!!

This pilot episode was actually filmed as a full long movie, but was later cut to TV-version. It could be great to see this full version someday. I just watched Stargate SG-1's DVD collection of all 8 seasons, where RDA was with, and there was lots of special features - behind the scenes documentaries and interviews. Lots of, lots of, lots of great bonus stuff. I think there exist lots of behind the scenes material about MacGyver, too. It's sad there isn't any behind the scenes bonus material on MacGyver DVD box.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 18 March 2014 - 12:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (kristiina86halonen @ 18 March 2014 - 11:12 PM)
This pilot episode was actually filmed as a full long movie, but was later cut to TV-version. It could be great to see this full version someday.

I thought it was written as a movie but then cut down before they started filming?

I just watched Stargate SG-1's DVD collection of all 8 seasons, where RDA was with, and there was lots of special features - behind the scenes documentaries and interviews. Lots of, lots of, lots of great bonus stuff. I think there exist lots of behind the scenes material about MacGyver, too. It's sad there isn't any behind the scenes bonus material on MacGyver DVD box.

MacGyver was filmed using 35mm film cameras and then transferred to video for editing. After nearly 30 years the original film would be degraded too much to be of any use now and we don't know what CBS Paramount's policy is for retaining video. They may only keep the edited master versions and discard or reuse the original copies, or possibly done so later in time.

It would be nice to think they still had the original video sitting in a vault somewhere just waiting to be re-mastered onto a digital format - or better yet, that they were already in the process of re-mastering both the episodes and special features for a Blu-ray release.

Only time will tell, unfortunately, that time will also destroy if left too long.

PM                                                                     
kristiina86halonen
Posted on 20 March 2014 - 01:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 19 March 2014 - 08:30 AM)

I thought it was written as a movie but then cut down before they started filming?

Actually, the full 90 minutes episode WAS filmed, but was later cut to the 60 minutes version. Because of editing there was a lot of quest starring characters that didn't appear in the version that aired. Also they cut off scenes where MacGyver's first name was said, which was Stace at that time. You can read about all that on RDA's personal website.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
kristiina86halonen
Posted on 20 March 2014 - 01:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 9 March 2014 - 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (Jediferret @ 9 March 2014 - 02:04 AM)
Don't be dissin' the hat!  That hat is awesome. lol

I wouldn't be surprised if RDA chose that hat himself.  After hearing stories of how much he was a goofball on set of Stargate, one can assume he was just as bad on MacGyver. lol

I don't think he had any say in anything of season 1. He was a hired actor at that stage. It wasn't until season 2 that he started to get input to the character development.

On SG RDA was a producer (the boss) which gave him a lot of freedom which he wouldn't have on MacGyver.

I think he could do his own things already on season 1. Like in The Enemy Within in this dissection scene, when he eats this egg roll. It can be something not written in script, because when MacGyver turns to take the egg roll, you can see, that RDA's arm is in plaster cast. Why they bothered to hide this plaster cast behind that jacket when at the next moment everybody can see it. So, I think it was RDA's own and they left it in the episode, 'cause it was funny.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 20 March 2014 - 12:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (kristiina86halonen @ 20 March 2014 - 10:19 PM)

Actually, the full 90 minutes episode WAS filmed, but was later cut to the 60 minutes version. Because of editing there was a lot of quest starring characters that didn't appear in the version that aired. Also they cut off scenes where MacGyver's first name was said, which was Stace at that time. You can read about all that on RDA's personal website.

Does that sight have actual evidence that the name being used in dialog? I know the name Stace MacGyver was used as a Character name in the script, but haven't seen any evidence to suggest that it was actually spoken at any time in the script.

This is the confirmed information we have.

If you've got other information can you link us to it please? Thanks

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 20 March 2014 - 05:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Jediferret @ 8 March 2014 - 09:04 AM)

I hadn't seen the pilot in over two decades, but when I saw it when I re-watched I instantly knew the show was going to be awesome. Call me weird. wink.gif

Ha .... I actually have a few of those style toques in my mitten drawer. The difference being that I usually only wear them during a snowstorm and as a beacon-esque warning to marauding snowplows - to stay clear and so as not to run me over. As for pulling one over my ears for a covert operation unsure.gif Nope! I've got a black balaclava and a can of shoe polish - tailor made for those assignments. biggrin.gif

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

kristiina86halonen
Posted on 21 March 2014 - 12:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 21 March 2014 - 08:37 AM)

Does that sight have actual evidence that the name being used in dialog? I know the name Stace MacGyver was used as a Character name in the script, but haven't seen any evidence to suggest that it was actually spoken at any time in the script.

I don't know, if I can put here any links without permission, so go to:

http://www.rdanderson.com

...and then ARCHIVES and then WILLIAM S. PALEY MACGYVER SEMINAR Museum of Television and Radio. March 6, 1998

It's very long (but very interesting) article. The topic we talked about is in the section, where fans ask questions. When print the article to A4, it's on page 15.

And for the article, where said, that 90 minutes version of Pilot was filmed go to http://www.rdanderson.com and then MACGYVER and then PILOT.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Duckt tape
Posted on 23 April 2014 - 12:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Just watched this again last night and I just love it love.jpg
This is the episode that originally got me hooked on MacGyver and one of my favorite episodes. I think that's a great way to start the series smile.gif A lot of pure and simple macgyverisms, lot of humor, that lovely accent he has and a lab of metallurgy (my mom studied metallurgy and when i first saw this episode i hadn't seen her for quite a while and missed her).

still the same things bugged me also: red hat and bright blue clothes at a mission where you should try to be invisible laugh.gif
Mac shooting
and what is it with all those women in the series "I kiss you now just in case we'll die" who thinks about kissing when you afraid you'll die and with someone you don't even know? ok he is handsome and smart and lovely character and saving their lives so maybe it's understandable anyone would like to kiss him biggrin.gif

PM                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 23 April 2014 - 09:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

It certainly is one of the best!

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fly_airdalton
Posted on 7 September 2014 - 01:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: w/ the lighter

Favorites
Episode:Phoenix Under Siege
Vehicle: Nomad
House:  Loft

One of my favorite things about the first season are the opening gambits. It added a bit more depth to the episode.
This is one of the better pilot episodes than other shows at the time.

"It's funny how, when you want time to move along, it never does. But when you're running out of time, it disappears much too soon."-MacGyver (Phoenix Under Siege)

"It's a shooting gallery MacGyver, and we have no guns!"-Murdoc (Halloween Knights)

"We'll never be able to out run it".-Dr.Ludlum
"Come on, where's your sense of adventure?"-MacGyver(The Human Factor)

Last.fm

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 24 January 2015 - 03:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

According to IMDb the directors real name is Jerrold Freedman.

Not sure how long it's been listed there or why (or if) he decided to own up to it, but it's there now so we know who the real director was. smile.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 24 January 2015 - 10:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

You might wonder what happened that he didn't want to in the first place. Did he had such a hard time directing it? Or didn't he just feel anything for it. Pilots can be hard maybe, because you don't know how it'll turn out.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 13 March 2015 - 07:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 20 March 2014 - 04:37 PM)

There's a MacGyver reproduction script circulating on a popular auction site these days entitled 'MacGyver - A Ninety Minute Pilot by Lee David Zlotoff'. It is a 'Second Draft' and dated 'January 3, 1985'. It is meaty and almost 100 pages long, content commensurate with a 90 minute program, and appears, as far as I can tell, to be authentic.

So ..... at the Government Test Center and as they run Mac through a fitness/agility- type course and on age 22, Dr. Collette Webster receives a computer printout of his ongoing progress and she begins to read it out loud .... and I quote:

Webster: MacGyver, comma, Stace, test sequence one seven nine. Cumulative reflex response time; 38.5-- down from your previous readout of 39.2. Muscle oxygenation co-efficient 134.3-- formerly 132. I could give the specifics of each sub-group but the decline is apparent.

Really a good read with Mac being definitely more suggestive with the ladies from what we've come to know of him, has a bit of caffeine addiction, and actually has(had!) a line that says 'you want a beer or what?' surprise.gif

Barry Rowland
Posted on 31 July 2015 - 07:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

Just the same, it sure educated alot of us 80's kids with something that made chemistry, etc. alive! I remember how there always happened to be the right tools for the job available, but that was a common theme with alot of the shows back then. I could never get over how there was always an acetylene torch and tons of scrap angle iron available on the A Team to come up with solutions to get out of a fix too. I just wish I had some of that kind of stuff lying around right now!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 1 August 2015 - 12:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

For MacGyver it wasn't so much a case of having the right stuff laying around. It was a case of making what ever was laying around in to the right stuff.

PM                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 1 August 2015 - 12:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

Right on Kiwitech, and it sure was fun to watch him do it!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
themacgyverproject
Posted on 12 August 2015 - 05:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Gauntlet

Talked to Jerry Freedman, the director of the Pilot, and why he went with the Alan Smithee pseudonym.
Click for Link

KiwiTek
Posted on 12 August 2015 - 07:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Is it just me or does he come across as arrogant?

Not to mention it seems like he still holds a grudge.

PM                                                                     
denizen
Posted on 13 August 2015 - 01:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

I love it! I rather liked Jerry's down to earthiness and honesty. Most put up a fake recollection. He says it how it is, according to his experience.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 1 October 2015 - 03:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 13 August 2015 - 04:23 AM)
Is it just me or does he come across as arrogant?

Not to mention it seems like he still holds a grudge.

I think he's more like honest. It's quite possible he doesn't remember anything and especially if he hasn't seen the Pilot after he finished it. It's been thirty years as well. It seems 'MacGyver' had a real difficult starting period. Even more than I thought. It's like the production company seized it's opportunity to take something and make it their own to have all the credit. John, Henry and Jerry Freedman clashed but they also have clashed with Lee. OK, if they didn't, we wouldn't have Mac the way it is or MacGyver wouldn't have been made. Or maybe it did, through another studio. It just seems to trouble me a little the way it happened.

By the time I showed my two-hour cut to Henry and John, we were at each other’s throats. They recut it into a 90 minute movie and got it on the air. That’s the bottom line. When I saw the final cut I was upset, and used the DGA pseudonym Alan Smithee because I didn’t want my name on it. The production company tried to deny me my royalties because of that, but the DGA wouldn’t let them. If I had to do it over again, I would swallow my pride and leave my name on. Lots of directors are recut, sometimes badly. I was reacting as much to the overall bad feelings as to the editing. Water under the bridge. The show did well, and I wish everyone involved the best. It is interesting to note that the show went through many changes and producers before they hit their stride. A tough show to get the right handle on.

This, I kinda of think as interesting. I know it probably was meant as a two-parter but what we got is just a 45-minute episode. So this means there must be a whole lot of deleted scenes somewhere.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
nathalie572
Posted on 17 December 2015 - 11:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I really should start work on that...

Junemar12914026
Posted on 18 December 2015 - 12:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Thin ice

I just voted, thought the first episode was great.
Never did find out why Mac stopped doing voice over
At the beginning of each episode,
Loved to hear his voice.
My real fav is thin ice and the negotiator.
Like seeing Mac enjoying playing his fav game.
And really like his music he was playing.
sak.gif biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Galloe
Posted on 8 January 2016 - 08:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 15 January 2010 - 10:33 AM)
I've always been bothered by the opening scenes claiming the Grand Canyon as being "Somewhere in Central Asia." Later in the Friends episode we hear that it was actually Mongolia.

I've just been searching for canyons in Mongolia which resemble what we see in the opening scenes, and low and behold, there are similar places there.

Mongolia has the Gobi desert which is littered with structures like this.
user posted image

And if you go west to Kazakhstan, you find the Charyn Canyon.
user posted image

So their location is actually correct and not (as I've always thought) just something they made up thinking "well who's gonna know the difference?" due to the lack of travel and access to such knowledge back in the 80's.

Thanks for the research, and there is a slight resemblance, but that's definitely the Grand Canyon in the opening sequence of the pilot episode.

I seriously doubt that the production team would travel to Mongolia or Kazakhstan to film such a short sequence, especially since they hardly ever left the Los Angeles area for filming during the first two seasons. You can clearly tell it's the Grand Canyon, and it must've been some B-roll footage. They didn't even go to the neighboring state of Arizona to film a scene that's supposed to take place there, they shot it in Agua Dulce, California, just an hour outside of Los Angeles, which also served as the setting for Afghanistan, lol.

This post has been edited by Galloe on 8 January 2016 - 08:23 PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll