House:  ---

user posted image

004 - The Gauntlet

Airdate: 21 October 1985
Opening Gambit Writer: Judy Burns
Opening Gambit Director: Lee H. Katzin
Writer: Stephen Kandel
Director: Lee H. Katzin

Guest Cast: Robin Curtis as Kate Connelly, John Vernon as Ryerson, Gregory Sierra as General Antonio Vasquez.

Opening Gambit: Map
MacGyver is assigned to retrieve a map, but ends up having to use the map as a tool of escape when he is chased by it's owners.

Main episode
MacGyver goes up against an entire army when he helps an American journalist escape across the border of a South American dictatorship.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 02:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from 5 Jul 2006

1 - Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
2 - Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
3 - OK [ 0 ] [0.00%]
4 - Good [ 4 ] [80.00%]
5 - Excellent [ 1 ] [20.00%]
Total Votes: 5

Archived posts

QUOTE (Rockatteer Aug 30 2004 @ 10:02 AM )
This has got to be one of the classic MacGyver episodes. It really is everything MacGyver. The classic adventure feel with plenty of MacGyverisms.

And the camp fire scene…. Sure to make every female fan jealous.

I really like the opening gambit for this episode too, although I do wander about how he managed to roll up that map with all the pins still in it and not prick himself? Or even how he managed to rip the map down without tearing the pins out as he did it?

There’s some debate over weather the map taped onto the outside of the hot air balloon would actually work because in theory the hot air escaping would blow the map off, or at least away from the balloon and allow the air to continue escaping.

But all in all this is a good episode. It just has that “MacGyver feel” to it which wasn’t always present in later episodes. (even if his watch did mysteriously change from black to silver in mid-story.)

QUOTE (Sonyab Aug 30 2004 @ 10:02 AM )
Ahhh yes the Gaunlet.. This was a pretty good episode. The first season bothered me because he kept kissing all these women or having sex with some ROFL. In this episode he kisses Kate but they take that part out and show it on the friends episode. The Macgyverisms are pretty cool here. 460.gif

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Posted on Aug 30 2004 @ 12:06 PM )
The Gauntlet was better then Thieves of Budapest. Kate Connolly was one hot mama. The campfire scene was indeed good. If you listen to the soft music when Mac crawls to her, is so sensual. They've been through so much and then at last the kissing scene. Kate had something boyish but that's so feminine about her.

QUOTE ( rockatteer Aug 30 2004 @ 12:18 PM )
I remember her from Star trek the search for spook (the movie where they find spook as a child or something)

Anyway she was the one that helpde him as a teenager...

She certainly helped me as a teenager! laugh.gif

Actually MG I was paying attention to the music last night when I watched it. It has some very good scoring in it. Maybe one of the better episodes for music?

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Aug 31 2004 @ 02:20 AM )
For me it's been several weeks ago since I saw that episode now I'm watching The treasure of Manco. But it's true it's a very romantic scene. Better episode for the scoring? Nah, I don't think so, maybe just for that scene.

QUOTE (Aug 31 2004 @ 04:19 AM )
I remember her from Star trek the search for spook (the movie where they find spook as a child or something)

That's Star Trek III: The Search for Spock! This is the movie where Captain Kirk steals the Enterprise from the Federation and restores Spock's katra with his body and thus manages to save his friend's life after his apparent death in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

(And yes, Kirk and his crew do find Spock as a child in the coffin and eventually he grows to be a man again. )

I love the ending.

"Jim. Your name is Jim."- Spock

Captain Kirk affirms this.

"I am and always will be your friend."- Spock

(He says this in the 2nd. movie and again in the 3rd. and it's just awesome! )

And just to relate this back to MacGyver, the friendship between Captain James Tiberius Kirk and Science Officer Spock is just like the lifelong friendship between Peter Thornton and MacGyver!

Okay, sorry to go on and on about that. As a Trekkie, I had to point that out. And yes, Robin Curtis was in that movie as Lt. Saavik.

And "The Gauntlet" is also one of my favorite episodes. Definitely one of my favorite opening gambits and some great MacGyverisms throughout the episode.
And yes, there is some incredible music in the episode that should be part of a real MacGyver soundtrack album.
(I know there is an "official" one, but it really didn't have much MacGyver music other than the theme song.)

By the way, just for a little bit of trivia, did you know that SCI-FI magazine, in a Nov. 2000 issue, actually listed this MacGyver episode in their list of the Top 50 sci-fi moments on television and in movies?
The scene where MacGyver patches the hole in the hot air balloon was the scene they were referring to. I thought that was really cool.

QUOTE (MacGyver Gal Aug 31 2004 @ 05:34 AM )
I loved all the clever ways he used that map. wink.gif

But one thing I don't understand...when the bad guys shot a hole in the hot air balloon, why didn't Mac just use the duct.gif to patch the hole instead of the map???

I guess the writer just wanted to let him use the map again. hahaha

QUOTE ( Rockatteer Sep 1 2004 @ 08:44 PM )
bettter episode for the scoring? Nah, I don't think so, maybe just for that scene. 

Maybe I was just paying more attention to the music the other night? It did kinda jump out at me as some kewl tunes in there though.

hey wasn't the lighting on the czamp fire scene just perfect. Had that warm glow to it, which really reflected the moment between Mac and Kate. And yet it was still fairly bright so you could see them really well.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted on 17 November 2006 - 11:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity

I voted excellent, of course! This is definitely one of my all time favorites, especially in season 1.

It just has that “MacGyver feel” to it which wasn’t always present in later episodes.

Totally agree with that! it's a great ride from beginning to end, and I liked Kate. This ep has one of my favorite conversations in the whole series...no wait. hmm.bmp Yeah...not just "one of", but my favorite snip of conversation:

“You’re an unexpected man, MacGyver...You keep me off balance.”
Mac pauses over what he’s doing and looks up at Kate. “I’m sorry.”
“No. I think...I think I like it.”

biggrin.gif I just love that. I also love the opening gambit with the whole map thing.

There’s some debate over weather the map taped onto the outside of the hot air balloon would actually work because in theory the hot air escaping would blow the map off, or at least away from the balloon and allow the air to continue escaping.

Yeah...I wasn't sure that was very realistic...I would've thought a quicker and more sensible fix was just duct.gif . wink.gif

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 18 November 2006 - 09:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

I vote good. It was an action packed fun episode. I liked the firecrackers in the bell tower and his periscope so he could drive without being shot. It was great to see MacGyver camping out in the wilds and trapping lizards and it was fun how he sneaked passed the guards at the river.
For the opening gambit - I remember as a child when I first saw this I thought he was going to climb up and repair the balloon with the tape he stuck to himself. When he used the map I thought it was funny and a good way to slip in another use for a map – the gambit was all about how a map can get you out of trouble after all! Whether it would have really worked or not…I doubt it, but it made a cute opening gambit.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 7 February 2007 - 03:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

Good ep!

I melt every time I see "The Kiss". wub.gif

Love Ryerson the Bad Guy! He's just too smooth! A shame that he didn't come back in another episode. General Vasquez must have kept his threat!

cool.jpg

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Mimiedie
Posted on 31 May 2007 - 03:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

This episode is very good !!
I love the kiss !!
This is very cute !! wub.gif
Elodie

abacab
Posted on 5 July 2007 - 09:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Traveller

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode: The Invisible Killer
Vehicle: Truck

This is a pretty solid episode, but it has a few minor (very minor) flaws. I liked the opening gambit, which is apparently agreed by fans to be the very best. I wouldn't disagree. I think this is one case where the gambit worked in favor of the episode and would not have worked as a full show.

The performances are solid all-around. In specific, Robin Curtis was excellent as Kate Connelly, and John Vernon projected a decent evil personality that was entirely believable. Best of all is Gregory Sierra (known primarily to me as "Julio" from 'Sanford and Son') who plays his role as General Vasquez with astounding realism. His performance isn't overblown or idiotic, and he'd be this good in his next two show appearances. The story is highly interesting and believable, and I like how they turned what could have been a simple car chase into a solid action-drama. The stunts with the rolling barrels are very cool too.

The episode has one nearly gut-wrenching scene with Mac and Connelly getting "romantic" (wouldn't you know it), which might have been better had it not been so sappy: the dinner over fire, the close-ups on the two, the slow kiss, the sappy underscore. It's the only real misstep in the episode, thankfully: the rest is entirely enjoyable and worth watching. It's not exactly spectacular- just very good- but it's worth seeing.

My rating: 7/10

"I didn't think you'd be one to go for whipped bean curd." -Mac

PM                                                                     
j12752
Posted on 14 July 2007 - 11:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Excellant!!!!!!!!! This was the episode that hooked me in completely

MacGirl
Posted on 14 July 2007 - 10:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather

Fun and excellent eppy! I got a kick out of Kate from the beginning... she definitely ranks as one of my all-time favorite female characters. She's strong and smart without being overbearing or bitchy. Too bad she only showed up in one other eppy.

The campfire scene is sweet without being overdone, and there's just enough dialogue, if you know what I mean. In this case, less is more.

Also, this one contains one of my favorite lines, as you can see by my signature. tongue.gif

I loved the scene with the barrels... first rolling them down the hill at the bad guys, then escaping in one! Only Mac would think of that one! laugh.gif Loved the firecrackers in the belltower, too. That was just hilarious.

This is one I have to watch again sometime soon... it's been awhile...

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 29 July 2007 - 03:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Oh yeah- "The Gauntlet" is definitely a classic! The opening gambit is great and the whole episode is a lot of fun. All the MacGyverisms are really good in this episode. And a vast majority of the scenes in the opening credits (at least for the 1st. Season) seem to be taken from this episode.
sak.gif duct.gif

PM                                                                     
Posted on 29 July 2007 - 09:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned: basic

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I believe this to be a solid episode. Like a lot of you, I love the campfire scene between MacGyver and Kate. Not sure I would serve roasted lizzard a la MacGyver at a dinner party though! Kate was one brave girl!

Shannon

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Stupid Little Genius
Posted on 30 July 2007 - 03:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Pink SAK

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Lesson in Evil, Widow Maker
Jacket:  Black leather

i like this episode to^^ but it's not one of the best ones wink.gif i loved the bit with bell ooooo and the periscope^^

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

GO BUNNY!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN                                                                     
youngmacgyver
  Posted on 17 August 2007 - 03:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Oh my gosh! This is one of my all time favorite episodes, and, well, I think that my favorite part of (besides the kiss, obviously wub.gif ) is when they cause the bus to fall into the river! This is such a cool website, and keep it up, please!

blowup.gif

My favorite vehicle:
jeep.jpg

MacGyversCrush
Posted on 17 September 2007 - 12:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Passages

Not my favorite episode, but one of my favorites from season one.

The map on the balloon was cool, but yeah you think the air would still leak out.

The barrel run at the end was great.

The whole to romance in the jungle was sappy to me.

I can't really say much about it overall..

It was great solid episode.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SAK
Posted on 17 September 2007 - 02:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Recruit, Hiker

Favorites
Episode:I haven't seen them all yet

I cringe when I see the map on the balloon trick. It's not a helium balloon, it's a hot air balloon. The air wouldn't rush out like that, especially not on such a low section of the balloon. Ignoring that for a moment, patching up a balloon with tape on the corners would do no good, for as MacGyversCrush stated, the air (if under pressure) would leak out. A piece of tape over the hole would be better, but maybe this whole post belongs in the nit pick section.

I love how he creams the bad guy with what looks like the rolled up map. The first time I saw that, I thought "No way! Artistic license!" Then he dropped the rebar out, and my reaction was laugh.gif .

I like this episode.

I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you. -MacGyver

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 2 November 2007 - 09:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---

Anyone ever pondered which country this episode took place in?

They swim across the river to Mexico, so I hunted along the Mexican boarder in Google Earth looking for a river.. at first I didn't see it, but when I zoomed in a little closer I saw it.

SO I'm guessing the country was Guatemala as Belize doesn't have a river along it's Mexican border.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 2 November 2007 - 09:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

laugh.gif I actually got out my Atlas and studied the border, too! Fic research mostly, but curiousity, too.

happy.gif Glad I'm not the only one who's done this! tongue.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Braddock
Posted on 1 August 2008 - 07:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: tinker small

Favorites
Episode:pilot, the gauntlet

Is MacGyver using the wenger just in the opening gambit or in the rest of the episode as well? sak.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
androgyny
Posted on 2 August 2008 - 10:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

the barrel scene was pretty cool.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 2 August 2008 - 11:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Braddock @ 2 August 2008 - 03:13 AM)
Is MacGyver using the wenger just in the opening gambit or in the rest of the episode as well? sak.gif

I'm not sure we see the SAK again in that episode. hmm.bmp

I know theres lots of MacGyverisms, but I'm not sure any of them involve a SAK.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Braddock
Posted on 3 August 2008 - 03:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: tinker small

Favorites
Episode:pilot, the gauntlet

we see it when Mac is up in the church tower doing MacGyverisms smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 3 August 2008 - 01:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Braddock @ 3 August 2008 - 11:24 PM)
we see it when Mac is up in the church tower doing MacGyverisms smile.gif

yeah but he doesn't use it. We only get a quick glimpse of it laying on the table with the blade open. And I would say it looks more like a Victorinox than a Wenger in that shot.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacDriver
Posted on 15 August 2008 - 11:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist

When Mac gets to Guatamala and he walks into the print shop- the staircase is the same one from the Assassin! It's the room where he was taken along with that girl (?) to be interrogated. And yeah, the SAK in the tower is a 2-layer Vic, probably a Tinker, given what he carried in the episodes around that.
And, is it just me, or did he change watches like 3 times in this episode? It looks like it's all black in one scene, all green in another, and then stainless with green band later. *sigh* MacGyver rolleyes.gif

"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 15 August 2008 - 01:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yes he changes watches a lot in this episode. It even changes in the same scene (when he's waiting beside the bus for the fireworks to start).

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 1 April 2009 - 06:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Loved the kiss, and when she hits that guy over the head with her cambra and he turns around to fight and shes messing around with her cambra all broken. and he says "Nice shot." and shes all like my cambra is broken. also loved when hes carrying her down the hill and hes like you need to loss some weight.

Miasma
Posted on 10 April 2009 - 05:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Finally got around to rewatching this episode a few days ago...

The Good:
-This is classic Mac. The opening gambit, the constant adventures, the countless MacGyverisms, the evil foreigners, harrowing border crossings... THIS is what MacGyver was supposed to be, as far as I'm concerned. It's so much better than watching Mac teach inner city kids why guns are bad! (I just watched Gunz & Boyz last night... man, what a difference.)

The bad:
The woman who played Kate was really stiff and not believable. I don't know who the casting director was for MacGyver, but they often did a pretty lousy job, casting actors who usually couldn't act (with obvious exceptions, of course.)

The nitpick:
In the opening gambit, why did Mac bother climbing back down from that wall to hit the guard with the map? Wouldn't it have made more sense to just keep going? He was already just about over the wall anyway. Maybe there's a violent streak in Mac afterall, and he just wanted the satisfaction of whacking the guy?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 10 April 2009 - 02:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Miasma @ 11 April 2009 - 02:50 AM)
The nitpick:
In the opening gambit, why did Mac bother climbing back down from that wall to hit the guard with the map?  Wouldn't it have made more sense to just keep going?  He was already just about over the wall anyway.  Maybe there's a violent streak in Mac afterall, and he just wanted the satisfaction of whacking the guy?

Or maybe he didn't want that guy to climb up on that box and shoot Mac in the back, at almost point blank range, as he ran away from the wall?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 14 April 2009 - 05:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 11 April 2009 - 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (Miasma @ 11 April 2009 - 02:50 AM)
The nitpick:
In the opening gambit, why did Mac bother climbing back down from that wall to hit the guard with the map?  Wouldn't it have made more sense to just keep going?  He was already just about over the wall anyway.  Maybe there's a violent streak in Mac afterall, and he just wanted the satisfaction of whacking the guy?

Or maybe he didn't want that guy to climb up on that box and shoot Mac in the back, at almost point blank range, as he ran away from the wall?

Seems like a dumb decision, though. Think about it-- he was already at the top of that wall. All he had to do was hop down on the other side and run, and he'd just have one guy on his tail. Instead, he climbs back down from the wall, whacks the guy with the map, and in that time, he allows the other soldiers to catch up. So now, instead of one soldier right on his tail, he has a whole bunch of them. I don't know about you, but given a choice, I'd prefer to take my chances with just one as opposed to several.
Fortunately, EVERYONE in this episode is a terrible shot, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Even at the end of the episode, the trained soldiers can't manage to shoot two people who are SWIMMING (not exactly a fast mode of travel!)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 April 2009 - 01:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

They were trained?? blink.gif

laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 15 April 2009 - 06:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

>> Were they trained?

Not well, apparently! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll