Please Note      

You can only post replies to topics already posted in this forum. You can not start new topics. If you would like to discuss a character which doesn't already have their own topic please start the new topic in the Houseboat forum and we will move it to this forum for you.

Earl Dent
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

How did you rate this character
user posted image [ 2 ]  [7.41%]
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 7 ]  [25.93%]
user posted image [ 13 ]  [48.15%]
user posted image [ 5 ]  [18.52%]
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 December 2007 - 12:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Earl Dent

An ex-convict, Dent has since gone straight. Dent has tried to support his daughter, Veronica, with winnings from prize-fights.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 16 December 2007 - 06:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Earl Dent... what can i say?

I really like Dick Butkus. He was just-right campy in 'Harry's Will'. When he came back in 'High Control', I enjoyed his performance again, showing some growth in his character, still a bit campy and funny, but also with a touch of seriousness.

But I can't say I was so thrilled with the boxing episode.

First of all, it was again, one-too-many foreshadowings of Mac's own 7th season bombshell. I think the whole 'SAM' thing would have been a bit easier to take if not the vast majority of Mac's friends/aquaintances had already had their 'I'm a daddy' epiphanies.

Second of all, there is my ever-present distaste for the seventh season, of Mac's abrubt sacrifice of his personal space, of his lost of identity in this lunatic asylum they call a neighborhood. I mean... less than a season before this, Mac would have come UNGLUED if someone (that wasn't Pete, or Jack Dalton with provisional permission) traisped through his home like that! *shakes head in disbelief* I just can't justify it.

On the whole, I like Dent, though. He's the poster-child for 'I fell in with the wrong crowd'. MacGyver helped him turn his life around; I'd say he was one of Mac's successes.

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 16 December 2007 - 06:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

Amen, Loth! My sentiments exactly! clapping.gif

I wanted to not like this character at first, just because he did seem like a cliche biker dude, but High Control made him more of a human being than a caricature. His daughter was snotty and annoying however, and did little to add to his character. Anyway, if the series had to have a bunch of "long lost" sons or daughters, why couldn't Mac's kid have been a strong-willed daughter like Ronnie, but with a better temperament? hmm.bmp

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 16 December 2007 - 08:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
House:  Observatory

I liked Earl Dent just fine. It's nice to see a character on MacGyver show up for 3 whole episodes- and be portrayed by the same actor! That's a feat in itself. And Dick Butkus is cool- great football player and a pretty good actor. He's shown up on a couple of shows I like, including "My Two Dads" ('80s sitcom about two guys who have to raise a daughter together- they're not sure who's the real dad- and don't really want to know because they both love her- kinda like an "Odd Couple" for the 1980s- admittedly, perhaps not the best premise- but I liked it as a kid... happy.gif ) and "Hang Time" (90s TNBC teen sitcom where Dick Butkus is a high school basketball coach- fun show)- and of course, MacGyver.

Hmm- I thought Earl Dent was pretty funny on "Harry's Will"- and it was great to see him go straight and sort of enlist MacGyver to help him turn his life around in "High Control" (MacGyver seems to get drafted for such things a lot!)
and then to see him trying to be a good father and take care of his daughter Ronnie in "Split Decision". Good that he made a good progression- and I think Ronnie got her life turned around a bit too for that matter...

Anyway- Earl Dent's a cool character. He seems like he'd be good "muscle" for MacGyver when he needs help with an assignment or something.
cool.jpg

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 December 2007 - 09:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacGyver @ 17 December 2007 - 05:25 PM)
He seems like he'd be good "muscle" for MacGyver when he needs help with an assignment or something.

At the start of High Control he is just that. He turns up and saves Macs butt.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 19 December 2007 - 02:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I voted good for Earl Dent. But his character went from good to barely ok. I like him in Harry's Will and in High Control he was even better but in Split Decision... It was bye-bye clumsy biker image and hello suite image. Than all of a sudden he has a daughter. And most of all in Split Decision he seems to explode about little things, like Ronnie saying she changed her name from Veronica to Ronnie. It's not that she did that officially, it's only a nickname for crying out loud. Well like I said in the Split Decision's weekly episode discussion. That episode is merely a bad remake of Rocky. Hardly any excitement till the end, a training scene and many scenes where in the boxer has outburst of anger. To tell you the truth Sly did a much better job than Dent did. But there's a lot more potential for him in the biker world than in the normal or boxer world.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted on 19 December 2007 - 06:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

I'm with Loth, and I voted ok here.

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 19 December 2007 - 07:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I can't really give him more than an ok.

He annoyed me. He seemed like the kind of guy who didn't really care or listen to what people said and just expected people to do what he asked, and if they didn't then he manipulated them to get it.

Oddly enough thats pretty much what Jack Dalton did too.. but Earl had an air of arrogance about him that Jack didn't have and it just bugged the hell out of me. And I think that arrogance was really shown in Split Decision. He wanted his daughter becasue it suited him and he wasn't interested in understanding her, he just wanted to tell her to do this or that and got mad when she didn't

So he gets an ok for being a character with some depth and for being more than a 1 off.. but I didn't really like him that much.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 23 December 2007 - 10:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

He gets an ok from me too.
It is almost like he is two separate characters. I don’t think they saw him as a re-occurring character when they did Harrys Will. I can’t remember too much about the episodes concerned but the character I saw in Harry’s Will was not the same as when he reappeared. It took me a moment to link them if I remember rightly. I think my problem was I saw split decision before high control and it seemed a huge leap from Harrys will. Watching high control after filled in some of the gaps but I was still unconvinced.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 12 July 2008 - 11:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites

Hey guys! My hubby and I are watching the Chicago Cubs play the San Francisco Giants (on the TV) and Dick Butkus (aka: Earl Dent, also the Chicago Bears) sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"! biggrin.gif

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 12 July 2008 - 01:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

He can sing?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 12 July 2008 - 03:03 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Not really, but that doesn't stop people.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted on 12 July 2008 - 03:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

laugh.gif Yeah, just look at some of the pathetic contestants on American Idol sometime.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted on 12 July 2008 - 03:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

roller.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
John Litteral
Posted on 4 December 2008 - 08:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Episode:changes often

I put OK. I like the character pretty good but I thought Butkus was not a very good actor, which kinda got on my nerves a little. Especially when he was boxing. That was the worst boxing and training act I have ever seen, it did not look the least bit real. I am sure that if he was doing a football scene it would have been great.

I did love his friendliness and big heart that he had in a big man's body.

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Murdoc12
Posted on 24 March 2009 - 11:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Super Champ

Favorites
Episode:The Assassin & Partners
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Leather Biker

QUOTE (MacsChick @ 13 July 2008 - 11:46 AM)
laugh.gif Yeah, just look at some of the pathetic contestants on American Idol sometime.

roller.gif roller.gif roller.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

"In this game almost does not count."~Murdoc

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RamonCota
Posted on 5 April 2009 - 04:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:

ahh i clicked "good" by accident!
i agree with you guys about him being annoying and all.. yea he is very annoying person.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macsgirl1
  Posted on 5 May 2009 - 09:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I thought he was cool and funny. I agree about MacGyver's apartment. though because in Passages when Harry said that he didn't like been crowded ay more than Mac did, Mac said no. MacG.gif But I doubt that he would have too big of a cow if Pete did because of their relationship.

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll